• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Is it necessary to prebook a train leaving Santiago to Madri

Hello All!

We are arriving in St. Jean August 31st. We will be traveling with two children and are unsure how long the Camino will take us. We are going to attempt the 33 day time frame however I feel we will make a few stops and may take more like 36 days. We have a travel agent assisting us with getting into town as we are new to the area and do not want to have any issues while traveling with children. However, I was hoping to get some insight on leaving. We are planning on getting airfare in advance leaving Madrid, Spain on Oct 9th. That would give us a total of 39 days to complete the Camino and head to Madrid...any thoughts or advice on time?

All the best!
Mandy
Buen Camino! :D

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I think it would be best to prebook, we didn't last year and got the last overnight train seats available which were right in front of the door to the food carriage and they were used all night so it made sleeping impossible. If you don't want to look around Madrid, why don't you book the train that will get you into Madrid in time to catch your flight out and then you can have the "spare" days up your sleeve for rest days on the Camino or looking around SDC. Good Luck :)

Hi Mandy!

To be honest I'd forget the 33 stages walking with kids, unless you're happy to bus between stages if/when you fall behind schedule or maybe find somewhere you want to explore a bit more. My first Camino from SJPP took 40 days including 2 total rest days, although the second from Pamplona went roughly according to the 'suggested' stages.

From Santiago you could consider flying to Madrid. Ryanair are cheap, but beware of additional charges for baggage etc. I would never expect to reserve in advance for Spanish trains, but maybe I've just been lucky.

Buen Camino!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Thetravelingfamily said:
I was hoping to get some insight on leaving. We are planning on getting airfare in advance leaving Madrid, Spain on Oct 9th. That would give us a total of 39 days to complete the Camino and head to Madrid...any thoughts or advice on time?
There are several daily flights from Santiago to Madrid which you may want to check for convenience and cost. There also are Alsa buses and trains running on a daily basis.
Considering these possibilities, and given that your trip will be early October, a reservation shortly before your intended travel to Madrid should work out fine. Compare travel times, cost and convenience before doing so. :roll:

Thetravelingfamily said:
Anyone thought about car rental and driving? Are there sites to see along the route? We will have 3 extra days before having to leave Madrid. Mandy

Mandy - many people do this and there are a number of car rental agencies in Santiago. You could drive to Finisterre/Muxia one day, A Coruna with its 9kms promenade another day and there are a number of very good beaches readily accessible too. The Tourist Office in Santiago will help you plan.

John

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.

Most read last week in this forum

A message has just been posted on the Facebook account of the albergue in Roncesvalles. It seems the combination of pilgrim numbers beyond their capacity and poor weather has made this a difficult...
Hello everyone, This is a cry for help. I post this on behalf of my wife, who is walking the camino at the moment. Her backpack was taken away from the reception of the albergue Benedictina's...
I’m on the Camino Frances since April 4. I just finished the Meseta and it feels unpleasantly busy and has since the beginning. No time time to smell the roses or draw much. There is a sense from...
The group running the albergue in the ruins of the San Anton monastery near Castrojeriz have announced that the albergue and the ruins will be closed from 1 May until the ruins have been made...
Hello, I'll be starting the Camino soon and there's one bit of it that worries me. The descent from Collado de Lepoeder to Roncesvalles seems quite steep (according to the Wise Pilgrim app) which...
We are in SJPP today While we were standing in line today, one of my pilgrims met 3 people from Taiwan, who could not find a bed. He said he also saw several people on their phones, frantically...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back