• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Jet Lag

Embee12

Time of past OR future Camino
First time: Fall 2022
Apologies if this is not the right section to post this in...

I live in California and am planning on walking part of the CF in October. It will be my first time! The exact variables are still up in the air - though the ballpark time-frame is somewhere between 14-18 days. What I know for sure is that either before or after the walk, I will stop in New York, where my elderly parents and most of my close family live. And that's where my today's question comes in.

I get wicked jet lag flying from West to East, even just across 2 time zones, let alone 3, or 9. I have read the Jet Lag posts here, and in general know the tricks of avoiding it, having flown many times, though it's always a crap shoot if I succeed. When I was much younger, I never thought about this stuff. I traveled to Europe a zillion times (leaving from the East Coast in those days), and hardly slept at all (or ate), and wandered around basically out of my mind with exhaustion and joy for a thrilling month or two. But now I get significant repercussions when my sleep is dysregulated, starting right off with that jet lag.

Do you think that there is some benefit to stopping in New York on the way to Spain? Like doing it in stages will make jet lag easier? Or maybe it would make it worse?

Thanks for your insights.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Do you think that there is some benefit to stopping in New York on the way to Spain? Like doing it in stages will make jet lag easier? Or maybe it would make it worse?
For me, jet lag is unpredictable, so I always plan to make my first days easy. I also have 9 time zones to cross, and sometimes stop over en route. I think it likely helps with the time changes in theory, but sometimes those stopovers (visiting and sightseeing) can be equally exhausting and just stretch out the transition!

If I have a choice, I start my journey with a flight that is not too early in the morning. Then, at least, I am able to get some sleep at home that night before, and I can start the trip reasonably fresh. Nowadays, I generally prefer to get to my destination promptly.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
For me, jet lag is unpredictable, so I always plan to make my first days easy. I also have 9 time zones to cross, and sometimes stop over en route. I think it likely helps with the time changes in theory, but sometimes those stopovers (visiting and sightseeing) can be equally exhausting and just stretch out the transition!

If I have a choice, I start my journey with a flight that is not too early in the morning. Then, at least, I am able to get some sleep at home that night before, and I can start the trip reasonably fresh. Nowadays, I generally prefer to get to my destination promptly.
Thanks for your insights, C Clearly! True about those visits being exhausting!

I fly from the West Coast to Spain each year and DO have jet lag. I generally give myself one or two days up front to adjust to the time change. Stopping in NY may help you.
The worst for ME is coming home. It literally takes me weeks to re-adjust.
Thanks for your insights, Anniesantiago. Is the return hard for you because of jetlag? Or post-camino acclimation? I don't seem to have difficulty with the any jet lag from return, at least not from New York.

Californian here living in Oregon. I personally love arriving, then adjusting (sleeping an extra day or breaking up stages).

Jet lag aside, I'm always wiped out after a long (and dehydrating) plane ride. I never know how my body will react until after I land.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I know you indicated that you are are aware of the”tricks of avoiding” jet lag. However, in addition you are planning a several week walking trip upon arrival in Spain.

Be rested when you start out. Take! time before you leave to get ready ahead of time. and the last two days, don’t add extra last minute activities. Pack ahead of time. If possible, a few days before you leave and stay well hydrated.

Take a direct, non-stop flight to Madrid. Take-two nights rest before you start walking
In Spain. Give your body time to recover…keep hydrated.

Visit your parents on the way home! Don’t add the additional tension of a family visit on your way over! Stopping in the NY, itself, and having to deal with the JFK or EWR …both exiting and going through the airports for take off again, could itself be stressful and IMO would be best left to your return trip.

JMOO, but I think it's a toss-up re when to stop over in NY - going or coming. Stopping to visit family on the way home might be nice to share your Camino experiences with them - or ask them which they would prefer. And if you can schedule time, book a couple of days in Madrid to rest and walk around.
On your flight to Spain, practice the little mantra "I don't do jet lag, I don't do jet lag, I don't do jet lag any more" - it can't hurt, it may put you to sleep, and the Camino may be listening... ;)
Buen Camino!

Although from the land of Oz & not flying from the US, we know all too well the effects of the long haul & jet lag. With the exception of NZ, flying anywhere internationally is a long haul for us.
Due to the previously mentioned timezones, we are just waking up here so I'm sure more Aussies will weigh in but my strategy is;
Depart late evening..that way you've already had a full day & will be tired giving yourself the best chance of sleeping on the plane.
For me, this departure time means an afternoon arrival in whichever European destination. Arriving in the arvo gives time to get to your accomm, run any errands or do 1st sightseeing & then go to bed as per local time.
Next day, take it easy, wander around etc but no crammed schedule or timeframes.
The following day...into it!

Best wishes, I hope all works out for you but at the end of the day, jet lag is a small price to pay for the overall experience which awaits. 🤗
👣 🌏

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Jet lag bothers me more and more when I travel too. Overnight flights are a great place to start in order to deal with jet lag, but when the person behind you is constantly kicking and pushing your seat back, like happened to me on a trip to Italy, you'll need other ways to deal with jet lag. I know some people who stop in Iceland for a day or two. I've never tried that, but I found that giving an extra day up front after most of travel is done worked for me. When I walked the Camino Ingles, I traveled from New York to Madrid and then took a train to Santiago de Compostela and spent the night there, before taking the bus to Ferrol and it worked out well for me.

Californian here living in Oregon. I personally love arriving, then adjusting (sleeping an extra day or breaking up stages).

Jet lag aside, I'm always wiped out after a long (and dehydrating) plane ride. I never know how my body will react until after I land.
Thanks for letting me know how you do it, truenorthpilgrim! I feel very dehydrated - and just plain yucky and headachey and blechy - after a long flight, too.

I know you indicated that you are are aware of the”tricks of avoiding” jet lag. However, in addition you are planning a several week walking trip upon arrival in Spain.

Be rested when you start out. Take! time before you leave to get ready ahead of time. and the last two days, don’t add extra last minute activities. Pack ahead of time. If possible, a few days before you leave and stay well hydrated.

Take a direct, non-stop flight to Madrid. Take-two nights rest before you start walking
In Spain. Give your body time to recover…keep hydrated.

Visit your parents on the way home! Don’t add the additional tension of a family visit on your way over! Stopping in the NY, itself, and having to deal with the JFK or EWR …both exiting and going through the airports for take off again, could itself be stressful and IMO would be best left to your return trip.
Marbe2: Yes - I forgot about that part - starting a camino right after arrival! Those are good tips about how to treat the few days before I leave. In a cursory glance, I'm not seeing direct flights from SF to Madrid. Are you aware of any airlines that do?

Last edited:
JMOO, but I think it's a toss-up re when to stop over in NY - going or coming. Stopping to visit family on the way home might be nice to share your Camino experiences with them - or ask them which they would prefer. And if you can schedule time, book a couple of days in Madrid to rest and walk around.
On your flight to Spain, practice the little mantra "I don't do jet lag, I don't do jet lag, I don't do jet lag any more" - it can't hurt, it may put you to sleep, and the Camino may be listening... ;)
Buen Camino!
OTH86: I do like mantras... I think sharing my experiences with them on the way back will be a good activity. That said, it's very intense seeing my parents, in particular (not in a good way - cognitive and physical decline). I wonder what state of mind I'll be in on the way back... like, will it feel more stressful to visit then? Doesn't realloy need an answer - more just thinking aloud...

Although from the land of Oz & not flying from the US, we know all too well the effects of the long haul & jet lag. With the exception of NZ, flying anywhere internationally is a long haul for us.
Due to the previously mentioned timezones, we are just waking up here so I'm sure more Aussies will weigh in but my strategy is;
Depart late evening..that way you've already had a full day & will be tired giving yourself the best chance of sleeping on the plane.
For me, this departure time means an afternoon arrival in whichever European destination. Arriving in the arvo gives time to get to your accomm, run any errands or do 1st sightseeing & then go to bed as per local time.
Next day, take it easy, wander around etc but no crammed schedule or timeframes.

Best wishes, I hope all works out for you but at the end of the day, jet lag is a small price to pay for the overall experience which awaits. 🤗
👣 🌏
Thanks for the input, Tassie Kaz. You're right that jet lag is a small price to pay. The timing sounds good - leaving in the evening/night - getting there in the afternoon... (although that'll be morning for me... But I guess since it's closer to evening, I'll just have to hang in there for a few hours before bed?) As for sleeping on the plane - Sadly, I've never been able to sleep on planes...

Jet lag bothers me more and more when I travel too. Overnight flights are a great place to start in order to deal with jet lag, but when the person behind you is constantly kicking and pushing your seat back, like happened to me on a trip to Italy, you'll need other ways to deal with jet lag. I know some people who stop in Iceland for a day or two. I've never tried that, but I found that giving an extra day up front after most of travel is done worked for me. When I walked the Camino Ingles, I traveled from New York to Madrid and then took a train to Santiago de Compostela and spent the night there, before taking the bus to Ferrol and it worked out well for me.
Thanks for writing, Bill's_Walking. (BTW: I love that apostrophe in your handle... I'm an English prof!) Alas, I never sleep on a plane - too dang squishy, neck cricks, etc. How lovely it would be to get one of those exorbitantly-priced laydown pods! Just for directionality: you went to SdC, then to Ferrol, and walked from there? Which route is that? As of now, I'm thinking I'll be starting in Astorga, or maybe a little bit further east. Depends on my timeframe.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Thanks for the input, Tassie Kaz. You're right that jet lag is a small price to pay. The timing sounds good - leaving in the evening/night - getting there in the afternoon... (although that'll be morning for me... But I guess since it's closer to evening, I'll just have to hang in there for a few hours before bed?) As for sleeping on the plane - Sadly, I've never been able to sleep on planes...
Yep, an hour or two at most (& not in one hit) is the most sleep I manage.
I don't think there's any real panacea or definite solution...just work within the timeframes (whether it be flights or the clock) & do the best we can. We're going to feel a bit ragged whatever the case.
Best wishes & sempre avanti.
👣 🌏

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Thanks for writing, Bill's_Walking. (BTW: I love that apostrophe in your handle... I'm an English prof!) Alas, I never sleep on a plane - too dang squishy, neck cricks, etc. How lovely it would be to get one of those exorbitantly-priced laydown pods! Just for directionality: you went to SdC, then to Ferrol, and walked from there? Which route is that? As of now, I'm thinking I'll be starting in Astorga, or maybe a little bit further east. Depends on my timeframe.
Thanks!. Ferrol is basically north-north-east of Santiago. I walked the Camino Ingles, and from Ferrol it is 117k to SdC. (Although my distance certificate says 113) I walked it in 6 days. Many people add on the walk to Finisterre, but I didn't have the time last year to do that. When I was planning my walk I was originally thinking of starting in Astorga too. It should be a wonderful walk if you do that.

The worst for me is always flying home and it takes about 4-5 days to stop feeling like a zombie.
Heading over to Spain seems easier and I always start walking the day after I arrive.
I have read that it takes one day for every hour of time zone distance to get back to normal. For some reason, for me, this is only when I come home.

Marbe2: Yes - I forgot about that part - starting a camino right after arrival! Those are good tips about how to treat the few days before I leave. In a cursory glance, I'm not seeing direct flights from SF to Madrid. Are you aware of any airlines that do?

NO I don’t see non-stop flights from SFC! Not sure which Camino you are walking? If you were starting in SJPdP it might be worth your while to fly non-stop to Paris. Consider, then an open Jaw ticket. Fly to Paris, overnight there. Delta, UA, or American., all Fly direct. Then take the train and shuttle to SJPdP. On return you could fly out of Madrid via NY, back to SFC. Be aware that there may be different entry requirement (Covid) for entry requirements into Spain.

If you can afford it, and/or have a loyalty program, or mileage, maybe upgrading to business class at least going might be a great help….because having the room to rest and even sleep really helps when you arrive. If you buy an economy ticket (not basic) and are a member of United Mileage Plus and have a ChaseExplorer Card they may offer you greatly discounted upgrades when you check in, if seats are available.

Last edited:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Can you provide info regarding this scheduled flight. I used Skyscanner and no non-stop flights were listed?
Not sure when you want to go but in April you can go direct with Finnair and Iberia. You can buy through other airlines but it's the same Iberia flight you'd be travelling on.

I live in California and am planning on walking part of the CF in October. It will be my first time! The exact variables are still up in the air - though the ballpark time-frame is somewhere between 14-18 days. What I know for sure is that either before or after the walk, I will stop in New York, where my elderly parents and most of my close family live. And that's where my today's question comes in.

I get wicked jet lag flying from West to East, even just across 2 time zones, let alone 3, or 9. I have read the Jet Lag posts here, and in general know the tricks of avoiding it, having flown many times, though it's always a crap shoot if I succeed. When I was much younger, I never thought about this stuff. I traveled to Europe a zillion times (leaving from the East Coast in those days), and hardly slept at all (or ate), and wandered around basically out of my mind with exhaustion and joy for a thrilling month or two. But now I get significant repercussions when my sleep is dysregulated, starting right off with that jet lag.

Here is what I do that has helped me. Whether I'm starting in Pamplona, Porto, San Sebastian, or Oviedo...it seems that each airplane gets in around noon-1:00pm local. Flight from Charlotte usually gets into Madrid around 7 AM, then catch another flight to wherever I'm going to start. If I check into a hostal or albergergue at 1:00 pm, I know I'll fall asleep and really be off my sleep schedule for a week. So I walk. Even around the city before I check in. Eat something, drink some cerveza. Do anything not to get close to my bed. Usually my body can't take it anymore around 8:30 and I go down for the count. I usually will sleep through the night (or at least until 4:30-5:00). From that point on my body feels like it is on Spanish Standard Time.

Jet lag, or just a sleepless night at home, I have had the best results with physical exercise, essentially working-it-off. I personally do not suggest sitting around for a few days in lament, start walking, even a short day being the first.

We fly from the East Coast and the night flight with almost no sleep has always been a killer. On our last Camino, we purposely had a layover in Paris in part to help deal with the fatigue (we also just enjoy being in the City of Lights). The next day, we headed to SJPP by train which again gave us an easy rest day before starting out to Roncesvalles the following day. The first day across the Pyrenees is tough. Be rested for this challenge! In April, we head to Porto. Our plan is for two nights there before we start walking. Therefore, to answer your question more directly, I wouldn’t stop necessarily in New York, but would instead plan some jet lag recovery time in France or Spain. Buen Camino!

I have traveled to Europe many times and have always suffered from jet lag. I am starting my first Camino in July of this year. I am flying to Paris and taking the train to Bayonne. I am spending the night in Bayonne and proceeding to SJPdP the next day. I will spend the night in SJPdP before starting out early the next day on my Camino. I planned my first two days like this hoping to help my jet lag problem. I should get a good night's rest in Bayonne and arrive early enough In SJPdP to ship my extra bags to Santiago, see the city, get a good night's rest and start out rested (I hope!!).

I think Trecile got it right, above. I have been flying worldwide for more than 45 years, including on segments longer than 15 hours.

For me, jet lag is far worse when flying west to east - from the US to Europe. It is not as bad when flying to other way like when I am returning home.

In general, I always presume one day for each time zone crossed when flying east to west. This rule has applied fairly consistently for me when returning home - flying east to west. I am able to arrive fairly alert and in the right time zone by using the following techniques.

This said, the last time I returned from Thailand to Washington, DC, via the UK, the jet lag destroyed me for several weeks. However, flying the other way, via Tokyo, was not nearly as bad. I was fine after a few days.

I manage jet lag when flying west to east by sleeping as soon as the wheels are up after takeoff. I introduce myself to nearby seat mates and ask them to wave off my dinner if I am sleeping, but to please wake me for breakfast before arrival at London, Madrid, Paris, etc.

Fortunately or not, I have a diagnosed post traumatic anxiety medical condition that requires a little Xanax (0.25 mg) to help me fall asleep. I used to take several full mg daily. Over the years since retiring, I weaned myself down to only the very tiny dose to help me fall asleep each night.

On travel days, I take one 0.25 mg. tablet before I arrive at the airport, one after clearing security and arriving at the departure gate, and a third 0.25 tablet just before boarding. Then I put on my sound reducing headphones and play relaxing music from my iPhone - set to airplane mode.

As soon as the required safety announcements and demonstration are over, I concentrate of relaxing. Usually, the last thing I remember for about 6 -7 hours (on an 8.5 hours flight) is the wheel thumping into place in the wheel wells of the airplane.

I am aware of sounds around me when I am sleeping - my condition controls that unconscious state of semi alertness. But, when I wake up, the first thing I do is ask for two cups of black coffee.

If you do not have legal access to a similar sleep aid, I recommend OTC products such as Benadryl, or other antihistamines that have drowsiness as a regular side effect. By way of reference. Benadryl is a parents best friend when trying to calm very young children when flying. Just increase the dosage a little consistent with your own health and the package instructions. AVOID drinking more than a very little alcohol at the airport or on the plane - it DOES NOT cause sleepiness - at least not healthful sleep.

Some people also use Melatonin with good effect.

Hope this helps.

Tom

1) A rule of thumb would be to never mix alcohol with an OTC medication that says “may cause drowsiness”…So do not mix Benadryl or similar meds and drink alcohol on a plane! Alcohol will also dehydrate you in an airplane!

2) The best thing one can do on long haul flights is to hydrate sufficiently! Stop drinking also the caffeine drinks while flying, colas, coffee's etc. Stay as much as possible with bottled water and fruit juices.

How to Fight Plane Dehydration​

To combat dehydration, you should aim to drink about eight ounces of water for every hour that you’re airborne. If you have trouble remembering to drink water, you can use a smart water bottle that will send you electronic reminders to take a sip or a glass water bottle with pre-marked measurements to help you keep track of how much you’re drinking.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Here is what I do that has helped me. Whether I'm starting in Pamplona, Porto, San Sebastian, or Oviedo...it seems that each airplane gets in around noon-1:00pm local. Flight from Charlotte usually gets into Madrid around 7 AM, then catch another flight to wherever I'm going to start. If I check into a hostal or albergergue at 1:00 pm, I know I'll fall asleep and really be off my sleep schedule for a week. So I walk. Even around the city before I check in. Eat something, drink some cerveza. Do anything not to get close to my bed. Usually my body can't take it anymore around 8:30 and I go down for the count. I usually will sleep through the night (or at least until 4:30-5:00). From that point on my body feels like it is on Spanish Standard Time.
Right, this has been our approach and it works well for us. Dive right into the Spanish schedule from the beginning no matter how exhausted, i.e., stay up till at least 8:30 or 9:00 pm that first day there. Seems like after that we feel fine. Now ... flying home is another story (east to west). Takes me a week to recover. I will try Tom's approach. I'm pretty terrible at sleeping on a plane, however.

My husband and I always stay over a night either in Paris or Madrid on the way to our destination. There are lots of options where you can take a shuttle to a hotel at both places. In Paris you can actually walk to some hotels. There is a price for most budgets near both the Paris and Madrid airports. We sleep and then get back to traveling the next day back at the airport, train, or bus station.

That works best for us, but you will need to decide for yourself. We both use CPAP machines now and thanks to tiny units we can carry them in our backpacks. We usually notify our hotel of our expected arrival time and just sleep when we arrive no matter the time of day. Then we go back to sleep in the evening at the regular bedtime again. That helps us adjust to the time zone best. It helps that we are conditioned to putting on the CPAP and falling asleep immediately.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I think Trecile got it right, above. I have been flying worldwide for more than 45 years, including on segments longer than 15 hours.

For me, jet lag is far worse when flying west to east - from the US to Europe. It is not as bad when flying to other way like when I am returning home.

In general, I always presume one day for each time zone crossed when flying east to west. This rule has applied fairly consistently for me when returning home - flying east to west. I am able to arrive fairly alert and in the right time zone by using the following techniques.

This said, the last time I returned from Thailand to Washington, DC, via the UK, the jet lag destroyed me for several weeks. However, flying the other way, via Tokyo, was not nearly as bad. I was fine after a few days.

I manage jet lag when flying west to east by sleeping as soon as the wheels are up after takeoff. I introduce myself to nearby seat mates and ask them to wave off my dinner if I am sleeping, but to please wake me for breakfast before arrival at London, Madrid, Paris, etc.

Fortunately or not, I have a diagnosed post traumatic anxiety medical condition that requires a little Xanax (0.25 mg) to help me fall asleep. I used to take several full mg daily. Over the years since retiring, I weaned myself down to only the very tiny dose to help me fall asleep each night.

On travel days, I take one 0.25 mg. tablet before I arrive at the airport, one after clearing security and arriving at the departure gate, and a third 0.25 tablet just before boarding. Then I put on my sound reducing headphones and play relaxing music from my iPhone - set to airplane mode.

As soon as the required safety announcements and demonstration are over, I concentrate of relaxing. Usually, the last thing I remember for about 6 -7 hours (on an 8.5 hours flight) is the wheel thumping into place in the wheel wells of the airplane.

I am aware of sounds around me when I am sleeping - my condition controls that unconscious state of semi alertness. But, when I wake up, the first thing I do is ask for two cups of black coffee.

If you do not have legal access to a similar sleep aid, I recommend OTC products such as Benadryl, or other antihistamines that have drowsiness as a regular side effect. By way of reference. Benadryl is a parents best friend when trying to calm very young children when flying. Just increase the dosage a little consistent with your own health and the package instructions. AVOID drinking more than a very little alcohol at the airport or on the plane - it DOES NOT cause sleepiness - at least not healthful sleep.

Hope this helps.

Tom
Just a note from a nurse, benadryl is not recommended for adults over 65 unless used for an allergic reaction.

I live in Seattle and visit family in NJ often. Jet lag is brutal for me with the 3 hour time difference. Flying to Europe is much easier I think. The flight is so long and the time difference so great the my body doesn’t have a chance to think about the time back home. Also, I never sleep on my flights abroad. I show up tired and force myself to stay up as late as possible that first night. I go to bed exhausted and get a full night’s sleep, waking up feeling ready for the new time zone. Flying from New Jersey to Europe would be shorter and probably wouldn’t work as well using my approach. I’d be more likely to stop in NJ on my way home.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
It has been on the Beers list for years. It is a list of medications that can adversely impact older adults.
Interesting...I often take one Benadryl before bed as a sleep aid on and off for quite a few years. Recently I'd stopped at my local pharmacy to ask about over the counter sleep aids. He said "don't bother because they are mostly benadryl anyway; stay with what you are using". I buy it on Amazon...super cheap. My family doctor has never indicated I shouldn't do it.

Very helpful and specific, TangoBravo. Thank you! I expect I'll be flying into Madrid from the West Coast (which may have a stop on the East Coast, I suppose). I thinking to start in Astorga, so will have to get there... Maybe do that the next day, rest another day, and start on the 3rd?

Over-the-counter sleep aids, especially those that contain diphenhydramine (like Benadryl), are a relatively common choice for people with insomnia. However, older people shouldn't use medicines containing diphenhydramine, as they may be prone to dangerous side effects, including: Confusion. Dementia.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Interesting...I often take one Benadryl before bed as a sleep aid on and off for quite a few years. Recently I'd stopped at my local pharmacy to ask about over the counter sleep aids. He said "don't bother because they are mostly benadryl anyway; stay with what you are using". I buy it on Amazon...super cheap. My family doctor has never indicated I shouldn't do it.
I am sure a lot of people use it. I have myself in the past, however it causes me a lot of morning groginess now. The Beers list is something we teach our nursing students about. I used to work in a nursing home years ago and we had to be very mindful of drugs on the list for our residents.

Over-the-counter sleep aids, especially those that contain diphenhydramine (like Benadryl), are a relatively common choice for people with insomnia. However, older people shouldn't use medicines containing diphenhydramine, as they may be prone to dangerous side effects, including: Confusion. Dementia.
Oh, so that's my problem.😅

I am sure a lot of people use it. I have myself in the past, however it causes me a lot of morning groginess now. The Beers list is something we teach our nursing students about. I used to work in a nursing home years ago and we had to be very mindful of drugs on the list for our residents.
I have no morning grogginess. My usual amount of sleep is seven hours per night. I rarely get, or need eight hours and I absolutely never nap.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
My wife and I have hiked four caminos - every two years since I retired YE2014. Each camino has the same routine. We take an overnight flight from the US to Spain (three times to Madrid, once to Barcelona). After arrival in Spain, we retrieve our backpacks and head to our downtown hotel. We grab a bite to eat mid-day, then head to a store to purchase food for the next day. We take a short nap in the afternoon, then head out for a meal that evening, then head to bed early. The next morning we take a train to Pamplona - another favorite city. We relax the entire day, walking around town, head to a grocery store and enjoying wine on the central plaza. Next morning we take a bus or taxi to St Jean. Then the same routine - enjoy St Jean all day, buy snacks, grab a bite, enjoy wine and a nice dinner. Then next morning we begin our camino. So before walking, we've relaxed three days and nights in Madrid/Barcelona, Pamplona and St Jean. When we begin our camino we are completely refreshed and cured of jet lag. Bob

Jet lag never use to bother either but when I flew in too France from British Columbia I was wiped out . I should have spent a day or two in Barritz before I started walking

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
We fly from the East Coast and the night flight with almost no sleep has always been a killer. On our last Camino, we purposely had a layover in Paris in part to help deal with the fatigue (we also just enjoy being in the City of Lights). The next day, we headed to SJPP by train which again gave us an easy rest day before starting out to Roncesvalles the following day. The first day across the Pyrenees is tough. Be rested for this challenge! In April, we head to Porto. Our plan is for two nights there before we start walking. Therefore, to answer your question more directly, I wouldn’t stop necessarily in New York, but would instead plan some jet lag recovery time in France or Spain. Buen Camino!
This is very helpful, Grousedoctor. Won't go to Paris, but maybe just chill a night in Madrid, and then get myself to starting point the next day (Astorga, I'm thinking at this point - so won't have the Pyrenees), and start on the 3rd day.

You can fly direct to Barcelona.
Thinking about starting from Astorga (I only have two weeks), seems like Madrid is more convenient... (though I'd love to visit Barcelona! But have never been to Spain at all, so Madrid will also be great!)

I have traveled to Europe many times and have always suffered from jet lag. I am starting my first Camino in July of this year. I am flying to Paris and taking the train to Bayonne. I am spending the night in Bayonne and proceeding to SJPdP the next day. I will spend the night in SJPdP before starting out early the next day on my Camino. I planned my first two days like this hoping to help my jet lag problem. I should get a good night's rest in Bayonne and arrive early enough In SJPdP to ship my extra bags to Santiago, see the city, get a good night's rest and start out rested (I hope!!).
Good luck with that plan!

Hope this helps.

Tom
Sounds like you've got a well-tuned plan for yourself! That's so cool that you can relax and get some sleep. (Never happens for me on a plane. Ever.) Thanks for all the specifics. I do have experience with some of your suggestions - with varying results.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
1) A rule of thumb would be to never mix alcohol with an OTC medication that says “may cause drowsiness”…So do not mix Benadryl or similar meds and drink alcohol on a plane! Alcohol will also dehydrate you in an airplane!

2) The best thing one can do on long haul flights is to hydrate sufficiently! Stop drinking also the caffeine drinks while flying, colas, coffee's etc. Stay as much as possible with bottled water and fruit juices.

To combat dehydration, you should aim to drink about eight ounces of water for every hour that you’re airborne. If you have trouble remembering to drink water, you can use a smart water bottle that will send you electronic reminders to take a sip or a glass water bottle with pre-marked measurements to help you keep track of how much you’re drinking.
Thanks for that clarity. Fortunately, I don't use alcohol, drink caffeine or soda, or take benadryl or OTC sleep meds! (But I also don't sleep... :( )

My husband and I always stay over a night either in Paris or Madrid on the way to our destination. There are lots of options where you can take a shuttle to a hotel at both places. In Paris you can actually walk to some hotels. There is a price for most budgets near both the Paris and Madrid airports. We sleep and then get back to traveling the next day back at the airport, train, or bus station.

That works best for us, but you will need to decide for yourself. We both use CPAP machines now and thanks to tiny units we can carry them in our backpacks. We usually notify our hotel of our expected arrival time and just sleep when we arrive no matter the time of day. Then we go back to sleep in the evening at the regular bedtime again. That helps us adjust to the time zone best. It helps that we are conditioned to putting on the CPAP and falling asleep immediately.
I'm thinking to start from Astorga (I've got about two weeks), so looks like Madrid will be most convenient. Do you have specific lodgings to recommend?

I'm supposed to be getting a cpap myself - though have been dragging my heels about it. Just today I spent too much time talking to insurance, my doctor, the medical supply place, etc. Would have much rather been writing on this forum!

I live in Seattle and visit family in NJ often. Jet lag is brutal for me with the 3 hour time difference. Flying to Europe is much easier I think. The flight is so long and the time difference so great the my body doesn’t have a chance to think about the time back home. Also, I never sleep on my flights abroad. I show up tired and force myself to stay up as late as possible that first night. I go to bed exhausted and get a full night’s sleep, waking up feeling ready for the new time zone. Flying from New Jersey to Europe would be shorter and probably wouldn’t work as well using my approach. I’d be more likely to stop in NJ on my way home.
Yeah, I've found SF to NY's jet lag to be terrible myself. I guess the thing with the straight shot over there is that basically I miss a night of sleep, get to Europe early, and then have to stay up all day. But I will make do! The last time I went abroad was in 2016, to Ireland, and of course I didn't sleep, and at some point in the afternoon once arrived at our lodging I took a cat nap (maybe 20-30 minutes, just skimming sleep), and it was actually refreshing. (Even when I nap at home - which is rare - I set my clock for for 20-30 minutes because otherwise I wake up sleep drunk.)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I travel from the West Coast and use No Jet Lag a product that a friend from New Zealand suggested. "Lots of us use it," she said. "No mater where we go, it is always long distance." Been using it for years with good results. Good luck.

Thanks for the reminder about that stuff! I have used it to good effect in the past. I've got about 3 packs of it bc I keep forgetting I buy it. However, the last times I've flown with it I either forget to take it entirely, or forget to take it every few hours. Hopefully, I'll remember this time!

My husband has had a travel machine for several years. His first one is held together with duct tape now so he got a new one last fall for his 2 months in Spain. He just puts it all in a stuff sack so nothing gets lost. The machine weighs less than a pound. His old machine had an adapter for Spain, for his new one he had to take an adapter plug. He uses HME filters instead a water reservoir. He still has to carry enough HME's for one a week, but the pack does get lighter.

I can pm you the details of places to stay, since this thread is mainly about jet lag.

I definitely don't do well with Diphenhydramine.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Thank you to all of you who wrote on this thread, and so carefully and kindly provided your expertise and ideas. The definitive thing I've determined is that I will be flying straight from Cali to Madrid (I'll be starting the Camino in Astorga), and stopping to visit my folks in New York on the way back.

As for jet lag, well, since I don't sleep on planes and can't take meds (although will take the No Jet Lag stuff - if I remember!), I'll just have to get myself through it. You all have done it somehow! I've gotten specific pointers about where to stay and how to keep myself awake in Madrid before bedtime; then how to get to Astorga the next day to acclimate further and again go to sleep on Spain time; and then start walking on the third day, hopefully with my circadian rhythm kind of on track.

Now - onto lots of other questions in upcoming posts!

👣 🌏
Stopping over in Singapore for a few days doesn't help either - you just get jet lag twice!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Absolutely agree about avoiding ANY form of caffeine or alcohol prior to flying - I start at least 72 hours before leaving home - and drink LOTS of water before, during travel and on arrival. Earplugs help a lot if trying to sleep en route (good preparation for your nights in albergues, too).

Mind over matter?🤔
Yep
Absolutely agree about avoiding ANY form of caffeine or alcohol prior to flying - I start at least 72 hours before leaving home - and drink LOTS of water before, during travel and on arrival. Earplugs help a lot if trying to sleep en route (good preparation for your nights in albergues, too).
Alcohol helps.

Most read last week in this forum

I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
For those who might want to transport a bag, here are the envelopes of two companies. The envelopes can be found at most places to stay along the Camino. Fill out the info and slip the money in...
I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
I am flying to Santiago via Dublin and have about a 10 hour layover. I arrive 0830 and my flight on Ryanair is not till 1930. Any suggestions on how I can spend my time? Is it practical to go...
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
Warning for those flying in to France -- there's a strike tomorrow April 25th, which likely will NOT prevent flying in or out of the country on international flights, but is very likely to affect...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.