• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Last min questions

shortwander

Time of past OR future Camino
April 2024
Hello all, I posted a few weeks ago that I was doing the camino as a last minute trip - well my partner of 3 years walked out on me on Sunday and I am a broken mess. I am trying my best to carry on as if things are normal and let myself cry, my friends around me are telling me that it will be good to do this trip but I am scared. Please could you all help with last minute questions because he was helping me book everything.

I am walking from Ponferrada to Santiago from the 19th of April to 5th of May and I've booked my first 4 nights accommodation, is that enough - do I need to be worried about booking more?

I am bringing 2 sets of hiking clothes (shorts and trousers), what sort of clothes should I bring as my 'town clothes'?

The weather looks relatively good, but I am bringing a waterproof just in case?

Will I meet people along the way? I am doing this trip solo and am wanting to meet and talk to people because of where my head is at, will this be possible?

Due to the last week of heartache, I haven't managed to do any training walks, I am planning on averaging about 14km a day so it won't be too much but will I be okay?

Thanks so much in advance

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
You will be okay. In fact, the camino might be just what you need right now.

You will definitely meet people if that’s what you want.

Your booking/packing/distance plans seem fine to me. Many (most?) people bring only one set of walking clothes and one set of town clothes, which are typically also lightweight and casual. Don’t pack too much, but yes to bringing protection for rain — you never know. For distance, walk whatever distance you feel comfortable with; on the Camino Francés you can generally choose your distances because of the proliferation of accommodation.

You will be okay. Buen camino pilgrim!

Dont worry, you will meet people.
As far as walking, think of your day as a series of walks, not one long one. Walk for an hour, stop , have coffee, take photos, look around, chat, walk again - rinse and repeat.
You shouldn't have difficulty getting accommodation especially if you are flexible.
After Sarria there are more people walking, but more accommodation as well.
If you are walking 14 kms a day, that will put you in "off stage' towns and villages as well, which will make accommodation easier.
I have never brought "town clothes" with me, I just wear my clean walking clothes. make sure you bring layers, most days I have at some stage worn everything I had. But as the days warm up, I strip off.
If you forget something Ponferrada is a big place, you'll be able to buy stuff there.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
You will be fine and you'll get a lot of support..the "oh sh1t" moment will usually come after your camino.
If you have a therapist it can be useful to scheduled a few phonecalls in the days following your camino.
I also just learned of the pilgrim's house and their post-camino debriefing and journal questionnaire. If you arrive early to the airport for your international flight home or have time on your flight you can do this as an exercise.

For your camino itself, it's a pilgrimage but don't let yourself get miserable. No shame in having a daily 3 course menú del dia with wine for €15, or hostels with bed linen and a noon checkout.

As all above said, you will be fine. Look at this as an opportunity to heal. You will meet so many positive people on your Camino which will allow you to gain some new perspectives during a difficult personal time. The Camino provides in a number of marvelous and unpredictable ways. Each new day will be something you look forward to as you take your first steps out of the albergues and head to a new destination.

Regarding another of your concerns, travel light! I, too, tend to have just clean hiking clothes to put on at the end of my hiking day. You don’t need much. In any case, you have a great opportunity in front of you. Buen Camino.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
All will be fine embrace the freedom the Camino gives you; don't worry if you need an angel you will find one i found loads:)
You will defo meet the World on your walk; a very sad time for you but the walk and people will lift you and help you sort your mind
Don't hold back and go with the flow and talk to people, if your down talk to people that makes a huge difference don't isolate yourself unless you need alone time.

Have an open mind to what adventures you will have and enjoy it; it's an escape from things that bring you down.

Regarding booking as you have some already; check out what the bed situation looks like during that time and decide then!

I am a bloke so, shorts,t shirt and repeat i am a scruffy old s*d.
Two sets of clothes is enough, wash one wear one !

Everybody is too knackered to notice in the evening.

On special occasions i might even wear underwear and put me teeth in!
Jokes aside i really do wish you well on your journey and to a happy future it will come.
Buen Camino
Woody

Last edited:
I am bringing 2 sets of hiking clothes (shorts and trousers), what sort of clothes should I bring as my 'town clothes'?

The trick is to bring clothes that don't look like hiking clothes so try to avoid green and olive, and combinations that look bad together.

I had black combats and removed those little reflective loops from the zips to make them look more casual and less like I was going on a hike.

Not a woman, but I'm sure some sort of light skirt or dress that doesn't need ironing would be good for the evenings. Also light sandals- plenty of posts on here about bringing a 2nd pair of footwear.

Hello all, I posted a few weeks ago that I was doing the camino as a last minute trip - well my partner of 3 years walked out on me on Sunday and I am a broken mess. I am trying my best to carry on as if things are normal and let myself cry, my friends around me are telling me that it will be good to do this trip but I am scared. Please could you all help with last minute questions because he was helping me book everything.

I am walking from Ponferrada to Santiago from the 19th of April to 5th of May and I've booked my first 4 nights accommodation, is that enough - do I need to be worried about booking more?
I wouldn't worry about booking more before you go. It won't be high season. After your first four nights you can decide whether it is worth it to you to book the remaining nights the day before.
I don't bring hiking clothes and town cloths, just hiking clothes. After my daily shower I change into tomorrow's clothes.
It is always good to bring a waterproof when heading into galicia.
Will I meet people along the way? I am doing this trip solo and am wanting to meet and talk to people because of where my head is at, will this be possible?
On the Camino Frances you can count on meeting people unless you actively avoid it (and sometimes even then). Pilgrims generally make good listeners and conversations can get deep pretty quickly.
Due to the last week of heartache, I haven't managed to do any training walks, I am planning on averaging about 14km a day so it won't be too much but will I be okay?
You should be okay. 14km isn't a super long distance. I'm not guaranteeing it will be entirely pain-free, but insurmountable difficulties seem very unlikely.
Buen Camino!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Disclaimer: I am not a psychotherapist, just some random dude on the interwebs. If you are depressed or think talking through your emotional situation would help, definitely reach out to a therapist. And I'm not answering your question, but your comment about your ex doing all the planning and such suggests, to me, trepidation on your part. Apologies if I overthought.

That said, this is why a random dude on the interwebs thinks doing the Camino may be right for you right now:
  • You already acknowledged you're in the grieving process, or something like it. You're honoring and acknowledging your emotions and that's healthy.
  • You want to meet people. Excellent! Being around others, and sometimes not, can help you sort those feelings. The Camino provides that.
  • You are saying "YES" to a new experiences and new people. Let the Camino bring you a new source of joy and people who experience break-ups often need that. And you probably won't get that at home on the couch.
  • Think about what you like about yourself and let the Camino give you some affirmations -- they're there! Every day you get to your next albergue without taking a taxi is something (well, at least it is for me). And if you do need a ride, then that's not a loss. It's information you can use for the days to come.
  • If you are not up to meeting others on some days, just let them know. You're "meditating."
  • But be up to meeting others! Also, focusing on the needs of others can help distract you from focusing on yourself and bring yourself a sense of wellbeing. The Camino will provide those opportunities every single day.
  • Cry if you must. I mean, don't spend every day blubbering and don't fall into a pit of despair, but it's OK to let the emotions flow once in a while.
  • There is a LOT of research that shows that exercise can reduce stress. You will get exercise on the Camino. The Camino is not a marathon or a triathlon -- you do not need to be an athlete. You will get fit on the Camino.
Bottom line is that I don't know your current mental or physical state. But from what I read, my guess is not only that you will be fine, but once you get on the Camino you will be even finer.

One last note: Going by the typical (NOT required!) stages, you have about 9 days of walking, but possibly more time available. I know you've made some reservations, but you might think about whether you could reconfigure to start in Leon or (easier) add on 3-4 days to walk to Finisterre or Muxia.

Buen Camino!

Most of the “towns” are simply small villages full of pilgrims, so this idea of having “town clothes” to not look like a pilgrim has always seemed a bit silly to me. Unless you look like a native Spaniard, you’ll always look like a tourist or pilgrim regardless of the clothes, so bring what you need to walk in and embrace being a pilgrim!

I love how supportive this thread is. I’ve never walked the Camino (yet) but I hope you will “feel the fear and do it anyway!” Please post after you finish. I’ll be waiting to read how it went!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I brought a lightweight merino shift style dress, it helped me feel like a human at the end of the day.

You'll be fine! There will be people to talk to and time to be alone.

Try to get a few walks in with your loaded pack before you leave. I understand how difficult it is to be motivated to do so but you will feel better while walking.

Buen Camino!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
So much sensible advise above. Do not be afraid to walk as a solo female, there are many of us out there and you will definitely have the support of other pilgrims. In my mind, it is one of the best places you could be. Time to reflect, but also to look forward. Be free and open, receive and give back. Buen camino.

You will be fine and you'll get a lot of support..the "oh sh1t" moment will usually come after your camino.
If you have a therapist it can be useful to scheduled a few phonecalls in the days following your camino.
I also just learned of the pilgrim's house and their post-camino debriefing and journal questionnaire. If you arrive early to the airport for your international flight home or have time on your flight you can do this as an exercise.

For your camino itself, it's a pilgrimage but don't let yourself get miserable. No shame in having a daily 3 course menú del dia with wine for €15, or hostels with bed linen and a noon checkout.
Pilgrims house, I should look into this! Planning to be gone a month and I’m already a bit unwell 🤪 so who knows how I will be when I get back! Lol

Pilgrims house, I should look into this! Planning to be gone a month and I’m already a bit unwell 🤪 so who knows how I will be when I get back! Lol
It’s a fantastic place to unwind/reflect after your camino, especially if you are unsure how to process it all once it’s suddenly over. @natefaith from Pilgrim House is a member here.

The Camino is the best place to be considering your recent change of circumstances.
Personally I'd book all of the accommodation, but I'm sure others will tell you not to worry about it.
You don't need town clothes.
A waterproof shell jacket or poncho is a necessity, it rains a lot.
You'll meet lots of interesting people along the way.
14kms a day is nothing, walking that short distance each day, you can take your time and take plenty of breaks.
Buen Camino!

Most read last week in this forum

When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...
A promotion started here right now. A step-counting sweater from Wolkswagen records how far you walk, and if you walk 613 km (which is the range of the latest model) before 16th June, you can win...
Past,present and future Thanks for sharing your adventures! This forum will be a touchstone someday in the future ..where you had gone and how far, from where and when A Canterbery tales sort of...
Hi! I just want to know if anyone had any success (or trouble conversely on that matter) using your Visa Debit Card with 6-digit PIN when withdrawing Euros in ATMs in France and Spain? Just want...
Seems to be a lot of people posting about stuff they lost on the Camino recently. I managed to leave a nice new-ish polo shirt somewhere drying and didn't notice for over a week. I hope someone...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.