• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Last minute tips

liminalspace

Hi
Six of us are setting off on Friday 7th Oct via Ryanair from London Stansted to Santiago and bus to begin walking at Poferrada.... two priests, an architect, two adult ed teachers and a bishop's PA (hardly a great description of a motley crew :D !).
Do you have any last minute tips for us? Maybe about walking as a group.... Or best places to stay.....or weather/food/kit....
Mark

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Hola

Last minute tips:

1 Repack your rucksacks and leave out everything that is not absolutely essential - set a group goal and have a competition to see who can carry the least amount of weight!

2 Repack your rucksacks and leave out everything that is not absolutely essential - 7 or 8 kgs MAX should be the target. The less, the better.

3 Having repacked your rucksacks and left out everything that isn't absolutely essential - have a great camino. You don't all have to walk together. The route is well waymarked and you can set off separately or walk separately each to their own pace meeting in the evening.

4 At this time of the year pilgrim numbers have eased off - you will find beds easily whether you are using albergues or hostales. Since you have repacked your rucksacks and left out everything that is not absolutely essential you will have enough energy left at the end of the day to walk round albergues and hostals to see which one suits you.

5 Buen Camino to all of you...did I mention the tip about not taking things which are not essential? Please don't join the surprising number of pilgrims who have real difficulty especially on shorter pilgrimages because they carry too much weight and hobble into Santiago with blisters and tendonitis.

Weight, weight weight

John

Ponferrada is a lovely place to start your journey so take some time to look around- I remember walking into the town and finding (along with lots of other pilgrims) a nice Cafe at 'the foot' of the Castle with really delicious cakes-( the good news is you can eat all you want as you'll be walking them off!)
If you've already walked together as a group quite a lot be mindful of that 'pack memory' and try not to let it dominate each of your individual Camino experiences too much. The route is so well marked that you can always 'be together but apart' allowing you to experience some other camino dynamics. On a practical note going along narrow galician lanes it can get a bit tricky if walking in a gaggle-especially if walking poles are involved!
If you haven't dumped surplus before arriving remember you can dump en route-there are generally boxes in the Albergues for people to leave (now) unwanted items. The walk up to O'Cebreiro is very beautiful.... but if your pack is too heavy going up that hill you'll look like Quasimodo and be puffing like Thomas the tank engine by the time you get to the top :lol: .
Have a wonderful journey.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Welcome to the Forum and the Class of 2011!

One last tip the others seem to have missed:

Eject anything from your pack that is a "nice to have Just in Case".

That said,

Buen Camino

Arn

There are several kinds of 'walking together'. I have seen groups that all walk together in a tight (often noisy) bunch, but others are more relaxed, and spread out in ones and two spread out, perhaps over several hundred metres. Then there are groups that don't walk together much at all, but get together fleetingly for coffee or lunch, and then stay in the same albergue and eat together in the evening.

You will need to find a balance that suits you, both individually and as a group, between companionship and discussion, and solitude with reflection. I suspect it will vary from day to day.

Remember that being in a group means some loss of independence for each individual, but this should be compensated for by the things you get from the group itself. My only caution is that it sounds like you mostly have occupations where you work independently for much of the time, and making the transition from being a group that walks together to a team that supports each other in reaching a common goal might be a challenge, but it should be worth it.

Good luck

A recent comment on the responsibility of walking in a group:
Re: Walking with a companion

Post by Portia1 on 29 Sep 2011, 09:23
This time I walked with five companions. People ask me how the Camino was and I say it was very different this time. Then they look at me and wonder if they should ask why. And it was different. One of the people I walked with this time is someone I met on the Frances. We have a similar walking pace, we enjoy companionable silence sprinkled here and there with a little conversation, and we have similar tastes in food, etc. We agreed that when we do this again, it will be just the two of us! (Notice that we are already talking about doing it again.)

Taking people with you who have heard the stories but are not prepared for the reality and its demands can be a substantial change in the experience. "I know you said it was hard, but I didn't think it was going to be THIS hard." "You're the leader, YOU tell us where the arrow is" (when there are no arrows and no one else takes any initiative to noodle it out). "I don't like the alberques--sharing a bathroom, having to wait, listening to all the noise, having to share space........ Why don't we stay in a hotel?" It was draining at times to be with people who wanted what you had but were not willing or able to let themselves be opened to it. It was also difficult managing all the different expectations, the unwillingness at times to communicate that someone wanted to go slower or faster and that it was OK for others to move along at their own pace, the whining when things did not go as planned--as though someone else could have made it much better. I think it is best to do your own Camino by yourself the first time so that you know for yourself what it makes it work for you. I know there are those (believe me, they were the ones who wanted to go but only if someone else took the responsibility) who would never attempt this by themselves--but if I learned anything this time around, it is that the Camino cannot do its work if you are distracted by trying to push spaghetti around on a plate!

In addition, when you are moving along as a "pack" it is harder to encounter and get to know fellow pilgrims who are not part of the group. I/we did but it took special effort. And later in the walk, when there was enough grumbling that we began staying in hostels rather than alberques, it was even more difficult. I treasure the challenges of sharing space with people who are not always kind or considerate or even sane.

I finished this time with a sense of incompleteness. Perhaps it was that we walked for only two weeks. Perhaps it was because the group dynamics required so much energy and I discovered that I barely had any time to journal. Perhaps it was because two of our number were chatters. Who knows exactly what gave me this sense but it is there........ And yet when I returned home, I discovered that peace/serenity had indeed entered my heart and gave me strength for the whirlwind I encountered first thing.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
One of the Veteran Posters once said that you should lay out all your pack contents on the bed and next to it the cash that you are taking - then take half of the contents and double the money. :wink:

Hello Mark,
When you leave Ponferrada, take the round about way out of town along the river. There is a direct urban way that is faster but very ugly. Villa Franca del Bierzo is a good destination for the first day.

If you find yourself staying in Ave Fenix (and the opinions are really mixed about this albergue) try to get Jesus to do a quemada as this is memorable. Tell him Tomas de Canada suggested this and see it that works.

When you leave Villa Franca on day two take the upward way (off to the right when you leave town). It is much more beautiful than walking along the highway. Ruitelan has a great albergue to stay in if you have time to slow down your Camino.

If you wind up staying in O Cebreiro, the Bar Celtica had a great local talent evening the last time I was there. It was Saturday and they took turns playing the gaita and drums. This may only be a weekend thing but it was truly memorable.

If you have time make the walk to Finisterre. The Camino gets back to quiet past Santiago and the landscapes are stunning.

Buen Camino
Tom

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
tomfriesen said:
If you find yourself staying in Ave Fenix (and the opinions are really mixed about this albergue) try to get Jesus to do a quemada as this is memorable. Tell him Tomas de Canada suggested this and see it that works.

I really liked Ave Fenix, but unfortunately was bitten by bugs. Interestingly, not all the rooms were infested. I met several people who had stayed there and were not bitten.

down to 7.5kgs plus water (2ltr) :)
sadly we are down to 5 people as one requires urgent medical investigations within a week :(
That's one of the group/no group issues we hadn't anticipated.

Well done on the weight - keep trying! You may find with the frequency of drinking fountains that each of you don't need to carry 2 litres.

I'm sorry to hear about your friend - walk the Camino for them.

Buen Camino

John

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
You definitely don't need 2 liters!

I walked in a very sunny, warm May, and carried 500 ml most of the times. Even then I often had to dump some to replenish my bottle with fresh, chilled water in the many fountains along the Camino. Only in a few occasions did I carry a 750 ml bottle.

Most read last week in this forum

Can anyone tell me where I can purchase a Vodafone sim card in SJPD or any other town . I start in SJPD I prefer to have a sim rather then a esim
Hello, Planning Sarria to Campostela mid Sept, 2024. Both wife and I are 71 years old and from America. Will fly from Paris to Campostela. We are pretty active and estimate 10-13 miles per day OK...
I have been planning my upcoming Camino using the Wise Pilgrim Frances app. Unfortunately, it has stalled at Burgos and will not give me any information beyond that city. I have tried...
Apologies if this topic has been covered before. I’m interested in the earliest/recommended date someone can reserve the following services: 1) flights 2) inter-city buses 3) train (e.g...
I have a bad knee and have to be very careful about walking both up and down hills, mostly down, would the Central route be much different than the Litoral route? Where is the last place to change...
Hi we are walking from Puebla De Sanabria to Terroso tomorrow and given the downpours we have had today, I wondered if anyone had any updates???

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back