• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Laundry egg

Rob the Slob

A slob
Time of past OR future Camino
Madrid to Santiago (May 2016)
This morning as I was out walking, I was struck by a thought: how about using an Ecoegg laundry egg on the Camino? At the very minimum it eliminates the need for carrying or buying detergents (besides, of course, being better for the environment).

Also, perhaps (and I'm going to experiment with this) for small amounts of laundry it would be possible to "dry wash" clothes using a minimal amount of water and a bag. Ecoegg recommend pre-soaking the egg for 15-20 minutes if it's used for handwashing, so perhaps that might be the way to go: pre-soak the egg, stuff the clothes in a nylon or net bag with the egg, spin around vigourously. Clean clothes, no fuss, quick dry.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I like it. At the very least it cant be worse than the crap washing powder you get or buy when using a camino washing machine.

I wonder, how small is the smallest egg?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Interesting product I had not heard of. It does look big however, if volume is a concern. For the times I can have access to a washing machine I carry a few Pods. Also take up some space but not as much as washing powder. But now I see that many places offer the powder as part of the cost of the wash, often it is automatically dispensed by the washer.

Also, perhaps (and I'm going to experiment with this) for small amounts of laundry it would be possible to "dry wash" clothes using a minimal amount of water and a bag. Ecoegg recommend pre-soaking the egg for 15-20 minutes if it's used for handwashing, so perhaps that might be the way to go: pre-soak the egg, stuff the clothes in a nylon or net bag with the egg, spin around vigourously. Clean clothes, no fuss, quick dry.
Based on a review of the ecoegg website, it appears that the EcoEgg consists of > 30% anionic surfactants and 15%-30% non-ionic surfactants. Now, I'm no chemist, but the basic principle is that surfactants break down the surface tension of the water to allow it to get deeper into the fabric strands and bind the oils and release the dirt. Thus, I suspect you still need immersion with contact time commensurate to the level of dirt and oils, and sufficient agitation to facilitate soaking and rinsing.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I checked on Amazon.com. The Small (54) size in the fragrance-free version has a shipping weight of 7.8 ounces or about 221 grams. Here is the URL:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B009YHSVAQ/?tag=casaivar02-20

Buy comparison, my customary "tube" contains 4 laundry sachets in a tall, thin, former prescription medication container with a snap-on top. My usual laundry solution weighs 3.9 ounces or 110 grams.

I replace the pods as I go along, sharing my excess with other pilgrims. I usually buy replacement sachets locally, in soft packs of maybe 12 - 15 sachets. I use or two, top off my "tube," then give the rest away to others.

Can anyone post the NET weight of a Laundry Egg (54-wash size)? This way, I can make an informed comparison.

While the laundry egg IS lighter if one considered toting all 54 equivalent laundry sachets. I don't. To me it is all about weight.

So, does anyone have a newish 54-wash Laundry Egg and a postal or diet scale? Grams or ounces are fine. I can convert.

Thank you in advance.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I carried a tiny vial (7gr empty and .06L capacity) of Era laundry liquid last time and might again this time. It only takes a few drops to suds up the worst parts of T's, undies and whatevers. For the most part the places I stayed usually had someone's leftover bar of soap at the laundry sink, or I went in with 4 other people for a machine so I could have gone without.

This morning as I was out walking, I was struck by a thought: how about using an Ecoegg laundry egg on the Camino? At the very minimum it eliminates the need for carrying or buying detergents (besides, of course, being better for the environment).

Something I will certainly consider as an alternative to handwashing - which is pretty painful for me! Thanks so much for this Rob!
Terry

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I'll have to try this, simply because of troublesome skin issues. That being said, I've checked various online reviews, and they all seem to agree that the EcoEgg is not satisfactory for removing stains or for "sports clothes", so I doubt I would actually try it on the Camino unless I get better results at home!

By the way, t2andreo and anyone else FYI, reviews showed that the box includes the "egg" and multiple packages of the balls to refill it, so the delivery weight would be more than the weight of a single filled "egg".

I'll have to try this, simply because of troublesome skin issues. That being said, I've checked various online reviews, and they all seem to agree that the EcoEgg is not satisfactory for removing stains or for "sports clothes", so I doubt I would actually try it on the Camino unless I get better results at home!

By the way, t2andreo and anyone else FYI, reviews showed that the box includes the "egg" and multiple packages of the balls to refill it, so the delivery weight would be more than the weight of a single filled "egg".

I did a search on line to find that this is a UK product. But what are the "beads" inside? No where did I find that info on the eco egg website.
Chemicals?
Don't you need soap to get things clean?? Just sayin.....

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I carried a tiny vial (7gr empty and .06L capacity) of Era laundry liquid last time and might again this time. It only takes a few drops to suds up the worst parts of T's, undies and whatevers. For the most part the places I stayed usually had someone's leftover bar of soap at the laundry sink, or I went in with 4 other people for a machine so I could have gone without.
You got me thinking that filling up a few leurelock syringes, with no needle, with a very concentrated laundry soap could be super convenient!

I did a search on line to find that this is a UK product. But what are the "beads" inside? No where did I find that info on the eco egg website.
Chemicals?
Don't you need soap to get things clean?? Just sayin.....
If I understood the reviews correctly, there are two types of "beads". One is a black stone, the other is a concentrated soap that eventually is used up and is replaced (hence the packages of replacement beads).

I had a laundry egg. It never got my normal laundry at home clean, in a pretty good washing machine with extra programmes for soaking etc. I have strong doubts that it would work in the dubious machines in albergues...

Hey, "Rob the Slob" is one of my nicknames!
On second thoughts...I'll let you keep it.

Buen camino

Rob...just Rob.

I have a Scrubba Wash Bag and took it on the Norte. I get dermatitis from too much hand washing and this was a way of avoiding that. It was useful when I wanted to wash all my clothes and my husbands clothes. Not so good for just a couple of things. It weighs a bit but it doubles as a dry bag - good for protecting clothes from bedbugs.

Here's the website http://thescrubba.com/pages/using-your-scrubba

I usually just say si / yes when a pleasant señora asks if I would like my laundry done.

The only request I make is: "Por favor, sólo agua fría. No hay secadora (Please, cold water only. No dryer)."

That means my technical fabrics will come clean, and be spun dry, but will not be subject to melting in hot clothes dryer temperatures. Once I stomp dry them in my fluffy travel towel and hang them to dry on my nifty hiking pole clothes drying rack, the clothes are always dry the next morning.

This makes matters very easy. I do hand-wash when necessary. I also seek out coin-operated machines and offer to share a load with others, where appropriate.

The laundry egg might or might not work. I think that, on balance, I will continue carry a couple of dissolvable laundry sachets, and continue to use my hybrid solution as discussed above.

I will cut corners where appropriate. The Camino is not an endurance contest for me. Others can choose to do it their own way. But this "hybrid approach" has always worked for me.

I hope this helps.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
@t2andreo , now hay secadora means "there is no dryer". What you want to say is: "si, gracias, pero por favor, no me ponga la ropa en la secadora" or "Sin usar la secadora" for super short but more correct.

I have a Scrubba Wash Bag and took it on the Norte. I get dermatitis from too much hand washing and this was a way of avoiding that. It was useful when I wanted to wash all my clothes and my husbands clothes. Not so good for just a couple of things. It weighs a bit but it doubles as a dry bag - good for protecting clothes from bedbugs.

So happy to hear that this works well, as I just bought one for the same reasons (and for camping and vacationing).

Hi Kanga - I've just found out that the Scrubba bag weighs less than 145g and folds down to pocket-size. A question - did it dry easily?

Wasn't today's Camino meeting great? I thoroughly enjoyed myself, as usual!

Thanks and cheers -

Jenny

Last edited:
@t2andreo , now hay secadora means "there is no dryer". What you want to say is: "si, gracias, pero por favor, no me ponga la ropa en la secadora" or "Sin usar la secadora" for super short but more correct.

THANK YOU for your charitable correction. See how difficult it is to learn another language. I think I need to spend more time,. full-time, at Santiago...;)

THANK YOU for your charitable correction. See how difficult it is to learn another language. I think I need to spend more time,. full-time, at Santiago...;)
I need to pick up some Portuguese, and it's been a long time since I tried to make inroads in a new language. Need to find a few tools to at least be polite.

I need to pick up some Portuguese, and it's been a long time since I tried to make inroads in a new language. Need to find a few tools to at least be polite.

The equivalent terms for Please, Thank you, How much, and Toilet are always handy basics in any language. Luckily when all else fails the commonality is pantomime! After all you do not enter a bar/cafe to buy a used car. My worst recent mis-understanding was ordering what I thought would be a starter and a main plate and ending up with 2 different tureens of soup!

Last edited:
ok I watched the video, granted i don't do much laundering so can some explained to me? you put the egg in washing machine (as per video) and immediate it starts to suds ok great so when does it stops sudding so it will rinse?

ok I watched the video, granted i don't do much laundering so can some explained to me? you put the egg in washing machine (as per video) and immediate it starts to suds ok great so when does it stops sudding so it will rinse?
I also wondered that - do you have to stop the machine before the rinse cycle to take the egg out?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
You got me thinking that filling up a few leurelock syringes, with no needle, with a very concentrated laundry soap could be super convenient!

Don't you it would work better if you just put in a small plastic bottle? Like Hilary said how do seal the end with? Back to the egg:) how do you stop the thing from sudding? Stop the machine to remove it?

Zzotte

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Thanks for this Kanga! Just got mine, and am about to try it out at home! Seems this will be exactly what I'll need for Madrid to Santiago in a couple of months - and possibly for future Caminos! :) Arthritic hands need help doing hand laundry!
Terry

I used albergue washing machines a few times and they always had their own laundry soap.

I think it is going to be hard to find that "fresh as a daisy" feeling on the Camino. Some hand rinsing with a little soap product every day or two and you won't smell much worse than anyone else.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I found that doing a machine wash every 2 or 3 days was plenty, you don't have to carry any detergent it's always there. I had an 'egg' at home for a while (my husband wanted to give it a try) I found it didn't 'wash' the clothes and also didn't remove the 'already worn smell', not B.O just the worn by human type smell. I used a 'dry sack' on the Overland Track in Tasmania this Summer and its perfect, just water and a little soap (like runny Body Shop soap) swish the clothes around for a while, agitate, rinse a few times and your done the bag gets hung up with the clothes and they all dry out.

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.