• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

laundry

szyszka

helo! I've got a question about doing laundry. Did you carried any washing powder from home? Or there was some powder "for general use" in albergues? Or maybe you used something else for doing laundry?
:)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I usually take a cut off piece from a bar of laundry soap. This always seems to get lost at one point (forgotten at the wash sink). I then buy soap powder, measure an approx amount for what I will need for the rest of the journey and leave the rest in the albergue for others to use. Anne

I bring an 8 oz bottle of a liquid soap called "Camp Suds" from home.
And I use it for washing everything... hair, body, clothes...
I use it sparingly and it lasts the whole trip.

This soap is environmentally friendly and has no fragrance.
I purchase it from MEC in Canada, or an outdoor store.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
When you first arrive in SJPP (or wherever), go to any little market or hardware store and pick up a bar of Fels Naptha. It is laundry soap in a bar and is especially made for handwashing.

http://doitbest.com/Laundry+soap+and+sp ... 632902.dib

It is very inexpensive ($1.25 in the US) and lightweight (every OUNCE counts!). You can cut it into many slices and share the cost with fellow pilgrims. Don't carry the whole thing, too heavy. It's about twice the size of a bar of bath soap. I cut a one-inch slice and that took me half way through the Camino.

To wash with it, you get your clothes wet, then rub it all over the clothes. Handwash as usual, then rinse. It rinses much better than powder detergent and the clothes really come clean.

You aren't going to find an automatic washer very often, and when you do they are expensive, so if you're on a budget, buy the Fels Naptha and you'll be set!

I washed clothes with the same unperfumed bath soap I used in the shower. Used albergue machines when available too. Usually these are operated by the hospitaleros who charge 3 euros or so for wash and a similar amount for drying, so you don't need your own machine soap powder.

I carried two Sea Hag Soaps Camp Bars, and they lasted me easily for the 5 weeks. They were great for washing body, hair and clothes, AND they have natural moisturizer. Everything is environmentally-friendly, too :) Colleen (the 'Sea Hag' herself) is an avid hiker, and gives all kinds of lovely support and guidance on all questions and stories related to hiking.

Find the Camp Bars here: http://www.seahagsoaps.com/soaps/indivi ... l#campbars

An once, in Mansilla de las Mulas, I sprang for laundry service. Yup, I paid the 9 euro at the hostel, and they washed AND dried my clothes for me. It was midway through, and the only time my clothes saw the inside of a washer in those 5 weeks.

I have to say, though, the camp bars did a thourough enough job, that I didn't really mind only putting my clothes through a washer once!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Am I right in thinking that Savon de Marseille can be used for body and clothes? It is perfume free and can be cut into small portions.

It's really useful to know what everyone used ! Will definitely try a soap bar next time. I read somewhere that Lush, which we can get in the UK , do a shampoo bar that can be used for everything.
With these bars, do people find that they dry out ok and don't turn into a soggy mess ?
I used shower gel, it worked fine , and saved weight, but I'm loving the sound of soap bars :D

fortview said:
It's really useful to know what everyone used ! Will definitely try a soap bar next time. I read somewhere that Lush, which we can get in the UK , do a shampoo bar that can be used for everything.
With these bars, do people find that they dry out ok and don't turn into a soggy mess ?
I used shower gel, it worked fine , and saved weight, but I'm loving the sound of soap bars :D

I love the Lush shampoo bars! I use them for shampoo (at home, too!), shower soap, and laundry soap. You only need a bit to get a lot of lather. Some of the bars have a lot of "gunk" in them, like little flowers or seaweed... for the Camino I prefer to take the "less frills" bars. Try "NEW!", "Karma Komba", "Ultimate Shine" or "Jumping Juniper". The first two have quite strong smells (both of which I like, and they're not overpowering once you use it) and the others don't really smell - up to you. If you have normal hair you can use any of these, despite what type of hair they each claim to target.

As for upkeep, last time I brought the shampoo tin (which is the same shape and juuust big enough to hold a bar), and a small length of paper towel. After I used it, I let it dry out on the paper towel on my bunk, and once dry I'd put it in its tin. If you put it in wet, it's way too hard to get out because the tin's too small and it sticks to the bottom!

This time I'm using this:

http://www.lush.ca/Body-butter-tin/2202 ... rt=3&q=tin

It's meant for a different product, but way easier than the shampoo bar tin because there's room to pry it out if you have to put it in there when wet! I'll probably still line it with a small square of paper towel so I don't waste product by having it get stuck to the bottom.

This is more info than you need but I just really love Lush so I had to share! :p It's my most luxurious AND most practical item! What can beat that...

Ultreia,
Lindsey

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Thanks so much for the info Lindsey :D
Really useful, especially to know how you got on with it !
It's on my shopping list for the next camino ,
Helen

Thanks for the tip about Lush. We have a shop in nearby Birmingham, so will go and get a bar and tin. It will also give me an excuse to browse in the local hiker store! :D (As if I need one when in pre Camino counting down mode).
allan

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Anniesantiago said:
When you first arrive in SJPP (or wherever), go to any little market or hardware store and pick up a bar of Fels Naptha. It is laundry soap in a bar and is especially made for handwashing.

http://doitbest.com/Laundry+soap+and+sp ... 632902.dib

It is very inexpensive ($1.25 in the US) and lightweight (every OUNCE counts!). You can cut it into many slices and share the cost with fellow pilgrims. Don't carry the whole thing, too heavy. It's about twice the size of a bar of bath soap. I cut a one-inch slice and that took me half way through the Camino.

To wash with it, you get your clothes wet, then rub it all over the clothes. Handwash as usual, then rinse. It rinses much better than powder detergent and the clothes really come clean.

You aren't going to find an automatic washer very often, and when you do they are expensive, so if you're on a budget, buy the Fels Naptha and you'll be set!

Thank you. This seems to be exactly what I'm looking for.
An ordinary soap just doesn't do the job properly.

Most read last week in this forum

I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
**Update** I reached out to the developer and a fix is in! unistalled the app again, and reinstalled the new updated version, and it works like a charm again! Hi! I am 15 days out from my...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Cheers, I'm on the last week before my first Camino (frances) and anxiety is rising... I will start from SJPP on apr/30, and understood that maybe on the first section of the Camino, I might...
Greetings Fellow Pilgrims! I have more than a month to go until I leave on my first Camino, but couldn't resist getting my pack together already this weekend. My full backpack (Deuter 30 L) is...
I had bought the long Camino banner-style map in Santiago and finally got around to having it framed. The framers managed to tear my map and I'm in need of a replacement. Does anyone know where...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.