• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Legalities of knives in Spain and France

Christopher Perry

Time of past OR future Camino
Early Sept. thru Oct.2015 - SJDPP to the sea.
I like to carry a rather largish utility knife (6 inch, heavy blade) while hiking and camping. It has come in handy and helpful, not just for me. It is small enough to cut cheese and bread, but large enough the hack through saplings, fire tinder, etc. What are the legalities of knives in Spain and France, and since I will be starting in SJPP?
It is in a security bound belt/strap sheath.

Chris

Last edited by a moderator:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Chris, I can't be specific on the laws of France or Spain but the generality of law across most of Europe is "just cause". You must have a good and sufficient reason for carrying a knife in a public place. A mushroom hunter can carry a small knife for cutting and trimming purposes, but not while shopping in Paris or Madrid. A fisherman can carry a filleting knife, but not on the Rambla or the Champs Elysees. A hunter can carry a gutting/skinning knife, and a very lethal gun, but not while visiting a cathedral or a bar.

You might struggle to justify carrying a heavy six-inch blade on the Camino even if it were secured in the bottom of your pack rather than worn on your hip. You are unlikely to need to do any brush cutting, dis-member your lunch or chop firewood. A small, sharp blade for general picnic / cooking duties is well worth carrying and would not be likely to give rise to any problems. The presumption that every French peasant has an Opinel in his pocket is not solely an advertisers image.

Its not clear what your home country is but you will also need to bear in mind the rigid restrictions imposed by airlines, Eurotunnel and other rail networks. You may not even get your knife to France.

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Actually, some hospitaleros demand that hiking poles be stored in the entrance. They are apparently considered too dangerous in the dorms. So, I can imagine their opinions about something bigger or sharper than a kitchen knife...

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Opinel No. 10 with corkscrew, good for cutting bread, chorizo, cheese, and opening a bottle of wine
For me, a decent corkscrew is necessary; the Opinel 10 w/ corkscrew weighs about the same as the corkscrew (without knife) I carried last year on my Camino. And, I did regret not having a knife. Kept me from buying hunks of some of the harder cheeses. The spork just didn't cut it.

Received the Opinel w/ corkscrew for Christmas - how did Santa know?

Karl

I always carry a knife - mine is a Victorinox (Swiss army) - with two blades, screwdrivers, corkscrew, tweezers, toothpick, awl, and scissors. I cannot understand how people move through life without having one in their pocket - I mean, what do they actually do when they need one of those tools?

As for a six inch blade rigid knife - leave it at home! The current max prison sentence for carrying such a weapon in the UK is fifteen years!

When you get there buy yourself a locking Opinel that folds - will do just fine - and yes, don't forget you will need a corkscrew! :)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I always carry a knife - mine is a Victorinox (Swiss army) - with two blades, screwdrivers, corkscrew, tweezers, toothpick, awl, and scissors. I cannot understand how people move through life without having one in their pocket - I mean, what do they actually do when they need one of those tools?

As for a six inch blade rigid knife - leave it at home! The current max prison sentence for carrying such a weapon in the UK is fifteen years!

When you get there buy yourself a locking Opinel that folds - will do just fine - and yes, don't forget you will need a corkscrew! :)
Well, we had our old trusty Swiss Army knife confiscated at the airport when leaving San José several years ago ( we like to take our pack on the plane), so since then we buy an Opinel at the nearest ferretería once in Spain. use it for our Camino ( it's invaluable - couldn't do without it), but then we give it away before flying back home. Anne

We have a credit card size Victorinox. Tools are a tiny knife, folding scissors and other items. The blades are within current limits (depending on individual carriers) and the knife can cut meat/cheese/fruit and (after a fashion) bread. No need for large knives even if they were legal.

Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.
Some carriers give the information about what is allowed and (hopefully) this is reflected in their security checks. Maybe easier through the smaller airports where they are checking flights almost individually. The ferries have similar policies and information, but we still travel prepared for a tightening of security and loss of sharp items.

i carried a smaller switchblade with no trouble. however i was stopped in the train station in Madrid - must have passed through radar somewhere - because apparantly it looked like a 'mariposa' - the word means 'butterfly' but the weapon is a double-bladed knife and security just wanted to make sure.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Is a switchblade a folding knife that springs open at a press of a button? We call them 'flick-knives'. If so they are illegal in the UK - arrest and then trial and prosecution - really illegal!
UK law - as well as switchblades being illegal, an Opinel is a lock knife and is also illegal to carry without due cause - so if you visit us -
Basic laws on knives
It is illegal to:

• sell a knife of any kind (including cutlery and kitchen knives) to anyone under 18
  • carry a knife in public without good reason - unless it’s a knife with a folding blade 3 inches long (7.62 cm) or less, eg a Swiss Army knife
  • carry, buy or sell any type of banned knife (the list of banned knives is below)
  • use any knife in a threatening way (even a legal knife, such as a Swiss Army knife)
Lock knives (knives with blades that can be locked when unfolded) are not folding knives, and are illegal to carry in public without good reason.

The maximum penalty for an adult carrying a knife is 4 years in prison and a fine of £5,000.

Interesting list of which knives are illegal!!

Knives that are illegal
There is a ban on the sale of some knives:

• flick knives (also called ‘switchblades’ or ‘automatic knives’) - where the blade is hidden inside the handle and shoots out when a button is pressed
  • butterfly knives - where the blade is hidden inside a handle that splits in two around it, like wings; the handles swing around the blade to open or close it
  • disguised knives – eg where the blade is hidden inside a belt buckle or fake mobile phone
  • gravity knives
  • sword-sticks
  • samurai swords (with some exceptions, including antiques and swords made to traditional methods before 1954)
  • hand or foot-claws
  • push daggers
  • hollow kubotan (cylinder-shaped keychain) holding spikes
  • shuriken (also known as ‘death stars’ or ‘throwing stars’)
  • kusari-gama (sickle attached to a rope, cord or wire)
  • kyoketsu-shoge (hook-knife attached to a rope, cord or wire)
  • kusari (weight attached to a rope, cord or wire)

Width of 4 fingers? Hellooo, thats more like a machete hahaha, no wonder you'll get in trouble.

:rolleyes:

The length of the blade could´t be longer than the width of four fingers. Hope you get it right this time.;)

Ondo Ibili !
:confused:o_Ohahaha.....yup, now i get it :D

A selection of Camino Jewellery
But we all visit people in their homes where there are kitchen knives, fish-filleting knives, chainsaws and goodness knows what else!!It is intention not possession that is the problem, surely...? If someone chooses to run amok with a sharp blade there are SO many things they could choose. Thankfully most people do not want to run amok and use their bladed instruments for more peaceful purposes... As a gardener I almost always have a lock-knife in my pocket, as well as a pair of secateurs. When travelling a reasonable sized knife is always needed - repairs as you go along, rescuing animals caught up in twine/wire, opening strange food packaging, let alone gutting fish if you are lucky enough to catch one, or cutting a patch to mend the seat of your trousers...
Recently we cycled across the Westcountry to Glastonbury, following mostly footpaths as our dog was with us - when we crossed the King's Sedgemoor Drain we were faced with shoulder-high nettles where the path had become impassable. Luckily - as we were wild camping my husband had a small machete for making a fire - so after giving it a good sharpen on the concrete bridge he spent a very sweaty hour cutting a wide swathe through - thus enabling the joggers and walkers who came after us to use the footpath - for which they thanked him!
Are we all to give up our self-reliance and self-control because a very small minority of people use a blade as a weapon instead of a tool..?
(ps - before anyone says it - I am aware of said laws and the consequences of breaking them!!)

Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.
I have the same dilemma Chris above . As a former scout and soldier I find a knife invaluable in the 'field' - and not for doing any animal or human any injury but has a thousand and one uses too long to list. In my youth every boy scout had a sheath knife and we didn't manage ever to injure or harm each other. [Hecate 105 puts it so well.] Sad to say our inner cities now dictate what we can or can't do. Interesting that a Londoner doesn't feel safe around knives , having lived there , not surprised ! [Would a hammer , rock , tent spike etc be okay ?] I am thinking of walking the Via Francigena. Brought a small folding knife on the Camino , mostly useless , what to do , what to do ........

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I had a very small Leatherman type folding multitool - pliers, tin opener, and so on - seized by security at Bristol airport last week. The knife blade was under 3cm in length. Do not assume that you will be allowed a blade of ANY length in cabin baggage.

Nothing sharp allowed in carry on luggage, you have to check it in or buy one there. I forgot about my minute scissors in my first aid kit - confiscated! If you do lose any 'tool' to security , you can get it back on your return...

I like to carry a rather largish utility knife (6 inch, heavy blade) while hiking and camping. It has come in handy and helpful, not just for me. It is small enough to cut cheese and bread, but large enough the hack through saplings, fire tinder, etc. What are the legalities of knives in Spain and France, and since I will be starting in SJPP?

Chris
HI Chris.
Please God DO NOT take any advice from this replies on this forum. The people are very well meaning, but may be mistaken. Contact the police station local to the area you intend to use your knife.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
HI Chris.
Please God DO NOT take any advice from this replies on this forum. The people are very well meaning, but may be mistaken. Contact the police station local to the area you intend to use your knife.
I'm pretty sure that the OP made a decision about 6 years ago...

Last edited:

Chris
Such a knife would be illegal in France, though just barely -- as the maximum legal length is 5.9 inches (15 cm).

Spanish law is more restrictive, with a maximum length of just over 4 inches (11 cm).

Typically, you're OK throughout Europe with a single-edged knife 4 inches or less -- as long as it's not a switchblade.

An old but still great topic for those of us that carry a knife everyday.

My understanding is that folding knives that automatically lock open (frame lock or liner lock) are illegal in many parts of Europe. I don't mean like a switchblade, but rather a knife that stays in the locked open position after manually being opened. That is why some knife companies make an American version and European version of their pocket knives. No sure of the actual blade size restrictions.

I think that Opinel knives are the perfect Camino knife. They do not automatically lock open, but you have to manually turn a metal sleeve to lock it open. And they are super light, inexpensive, and look very unassuming. My father carried one for most of his life.

Size 6 has a blade just under 3 inches, Size 8 blade is 3.25 inches, the Corkscrew one has about a 4 inch blade.

I've carried a size 6 and size 8 on my two Caminos. They are very easy to find in shops if you buy in Spain.

I did a Camino in the jungle of Bolivia and there the knife of choice is the machete! You wouldn't go in the jungle without. Perhaps if you really want to use your long knife you should consider the jungle over there. With the monkeys running after your water bottle it is really something different from Spain!!!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

My understanding is that folding knives that automatically lock open (frame lock or liner lock) are illegal in many parts of Europe. I don't mean like a switchblade, but rather a knife that stays in the locked open position after manually being opened. That is why some knife companies make an American version and European version of their pocket knives. No sure of the actual blade size restrictions.

I think that Opinel knives are the perfect Camino knife. They do not automatically lock open, but you have to manually turn a metal sleeve to lock it open. And they are super light, inexpensive, and look very unassuming. My father carried one for most of his life.

Size 6 has a blade just under 3 inches, Size 8 blade is 3.25 inches, the Corkscrew one has about a 4 inch blade.

I've carried a size 6 and size 8 on my two Caminos. They are very easy to find in shops if you buy in Spain.
I’m with you on this. I have several Opinel knives. Several shops in SJPP sell them. The 3” blade is more than enough to slice fruit, cheese, etc. I can’t imagine needing anything larger. As I like to take my backpack with me inside the plane, I have waited until getting to France or Spain to buy a knife instead of checking my pack. The Opinel is a great little knife and after your Camino, it’s a great reminder of your time on The Way.

Believe it or not, I seriously once had a cheapie plastic knife from McDonald's confiscated out of my backpack on aCamino. I had planned to use it to cut cheese for my bocadillas and didn't want to check anything below on the aircraft.

Like many others, my wife and I check to airplane storage a simple nylon bag with our trekking poles, medical kit scissors, and swiss army knife (essential blade for cutting fruit and cheese, and bottle opener). We put our backpacks in a cloth laundry bag and carry on with us (I have an Osprey 50L Atmos and she has a Osprey 48L Kestrol). Each time we worry that a flight attendant will tell us our packs are too large to carry on board, but we've been successful. Here's hoping we'll be successful again this fall. Bob

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Bob, I have done that before, too, but since I no longer bring poles I do not like to wait for the luggage to spit out of the carousel.
I am hoping to be successful this Fall, too!

Like many others, my wife and I check to airplane storage a simple nylon bag with our trekking poles, medical kit scissors, and swiss army knife (essential blade for cutting fruit and cheese, and bottle opener). We put our backpacks in a cloth laundry bag and carry on with us (I have an Osprey 50L Atmos and she has a Osprey 48L Kestrol). Each time we worry that a flight attendant will tell us our packs are too large to carry on board, but we've been successful. Here's hoping we'll be successful again this fall. Bob
Hooray for the Swiss A ! :) Always carry one , but always stowed away in the ruck. Its the bigger version with one blade and locks. Blade for cheese and salami, bread, and corkscrew for the plonk! There's a few bits that never see the light of day but I like that one good blade.

Buen Camino

Samarkand.

is a swiss army knife a folding knife? I always carry a small swiss knife with me (about 8cm) and would be very reluctant to leave it at home if that is the case. but I do mostly travel by train.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
is a swiss army knife a folding knife? I always carry a small swiss knife with me (about 8cm) and would be very reluctant to leave it at home if that is the case. but I do mostly travel by train.
Yes, it is a folding knife and doubt it would be allowed in the cabin on a flight. Two years ago I had a tiny pair of children's rounded edges scissors in my backpack thinking nothing of it. I was pulled aside at the xray scanner, and they pulled things out of my pack until they retrieved them, mulled it over a minute and decided I could keep them. I wouldn't risk any knife, especially if it holds special significance to you.

@caminka, yes, your Swiss army knife is a folding knife and the blade cannot be opened with one hand alone which makes it ok to carry, generally speaking and in the countries we are talking about and that are relevant to the discussion.

Spain has some specific rules about any kind of knives on Spanish trains and there may be checks in some stations and for some trains where you'd risk having to abandon your Swiss army knife of any length. This has been discussed abundantly in earlier threads.

I am not sure about the current status on other (international) trains in Europe. On trains in France, I think, you are no longer allowed to take a pocket knife out of your luggage so you have to cut your baguette with something else. This rule was implemented several years ago if I remember correctly.

Aviation security rules in most of the countries that would concern you and me on our way to Spain allow Swiss army knives with a blade length of 5 or 6 cm. I can never remember the upper limit. Mine is just below 5 cm. Again, plenty of discussion in earlier threads.

Last edited:
IIRC the recent EU regulations for carry- on objects in the cabin of an aircraft limit the length of knive blades (and similar sharp objects) up to 6 cm.
But you can‘t rely on that because at last the security officer at checkdesk defines what‘s dangerous and what‘s not.
When I flew home from Santiago some years ago I had a terrible dispute with a captain of the Guardia Civil because I carried with me a multi tool containing a screw driver with a length of clearly below 6 cm but he declared as dangerous. In the end, when he threatend me to take me in custody, I gave in.
So better you put all kind of knives, scissors and other „sharp“ objects into your checked in luggage.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I have just done an online search for bringing Swiss Army knives in the cabin of an aircraft. Nine of ten searches said "No". I did see only one saying the knife could be in your carryon if it was 2.36" or less. I wouldn't risk carrying it on an aircraft....you most likely be disappointed, same with hiking poles. Ocassionally it depends on the "mood" of the one in authority overseeing the scanner that day.🤷

I have just done an online search for bringing Swiss Army knives in the cabin of an aircraft. Nine of ten searches said "No". I did see only one saying the knife could be in your carryon if it was 2.36" or less.
Try searching for "cm" and not "inches", in particular "6 cm". And include searches in the 23 other languages then English. 🙂

Per eurpean regulations you should be allowed to carry a 6cm blade on board of an aircraft. Also trekking poles. However, the agents at the security checkpoint might have a different opinion and usually it is not the best idea to get into an argument with them. Repercussions might not be as severe as with your TSA guys, but still it is not hard for them to delay you long enough to miss your flight.

Since i do only have 45min to change aircrafts in Madrid (planned flight to Oviedo), i am also not to keen on checking my luggage. So i will most likely just send myself a poste restante package for less money than it would cost to check my bag. (14€ for up to 2kg from GER to Spain)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Source to the 6cm: https://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/TXT/PDF/?uri=CELEX:32015R1998&from=EN

(c) objects with a sharp point or sharp edge—objects with a sharp point or sharp edge capable of being used to cause serious injury, including: — items designed for chopping, such as axes, hatchets and cleavers, — ice axes and ice picks, — razor blades, — box cutters, — knives with blades of more than 6 cm, — scissors with blades of more than 6 cm as measured from the fulcrum, — martial arts equipment with a sharp point or sharp edge, — swords and sabres;

Yes, it is a folding knife and doubt it would be allowed in the cabin on a flight. Two years ago I had a tiny pair of children's rounded edges scissors in my backpack thinking nothing of it. I was pulled aside at the xray scanner, and they pulled things out of my pack until they retrieved them, mulled it over a minute and decided I could keep them. I wouldn't risk any knife, especially if it holds special significance to you.
oh, darn. but thank you. will stick to the trains, then.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I already had converted the cm to inches for myself beingfrom the US...they equaled the same.
I have no doubt that 6 cm or less equals 2.36" or less. I was simply surprised about your nine out of ten search results. Because when I enter "6 cm" "Swiss army knife" cabin into Google Search I get plenty of search results that say that pocket knives with blades under 6 cm are not prohibited in cabins luggage on flights within the EU.

Anyway, I wonder whether there was a compelling reason for reviving this thread from 2014, other than that we have nothing better to talk about? And now even the European walking poles in European cabins on European airplanes departing from European airports have made their dreaded appearance. :eek:🤣

Anyway, I wonder whether there was a compelling reason for reviving this thread from 2014, other than that we have nothing better to talk about? And now even the European walking poles in European cabins on European airplanes departing from European airports have made their dreaded appearance. :eek:🤣

Some (likely hijacked) account postet some spam in various older threads, thats why they are back up. If you don't particularly watch for it, it's easy to post in a thread that has been dead for 6 years.

@caminka, yes, your Swiss army knife is a folding knife and the blade cannot be opened with one hand alone which makes it ok to carry, generally speaking and in the countries we are talking about and that are relevant to the discussion.

Spain has some specific rules about any kind of knives on Spanish trains and there may be checks in some stations and for some trains where you'd risk having to abandon your Swiss army knife of any length. This has been discussed abundantly in earlier threads.

I am not sure about the current status on other (international) trains in Europe. On trains in France, I think, you are no longer allowed to take a pocket knife out of your luggage so you have to cut your baguette with something else. This rule was implemented several years ago if I remember correctly.

Aviation security rules in most of the countries that would concern you and me on our way to Spain allow Swiss army knives with a blade length of 5 or 6 cm. I can never remember the upper limit. Mine is just below 5 cm. Again, plenty of discussion in earlier threads.
I had no idea and have been happily using my knife on trains when eating. O.O So far I have not been admonished or aprehended. :)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Some (likely hijacked) account postet some spam in various older threads, thats why they are back up. If you don't particularly watch for it, it's easy to post in a thread that has been dead for 6 years.
Life is full of little curiosities innit. The "New Member" that revived this thread joined the Forum on Wednesday 24 February at 9:44am GMT, located this thread and responded and has not returned to the Forum since 9:44am GMT Wednesday 24 February. Presumably they had shared all the wisdom they had. Of course this may have been a "lurker" who felt strongly about the topic and felt compelled to join and post. Though advising an American citizen to check with the Spanish local police along the entirety of the Caminos as to the laws and regulations on the carrying of knives might not be as practical as it seemed when typed. ;)

Members wishing to avoid delving to deeply into the past might like to note that the original posting date of any thread or comment appears at the top-left of the post.

...so that a 3" (7.5 cm) Opinel folding knife will be perfectly justifiable on your Camino. Remember though, on airplanes it'll have to go in the hold. :rolleyes:
I bought one in the hardware/grocery store in SJPdP so I wouldn't have issues flying. I mailed it home from Santiago. It's my personal souvenir of the Camino. :)

I have just done an online search for bringing Swiss Army knives in the cabin of an aircraft. Nine of ten searches said "No". I did see only one saying the knife could be in your carryon if it was 2.36" or less.
Regulations in Europe on international flights are not unlikely to be more strict than on internal national ones.

Life is full of little curiosities innit. The "New Member" that revived this thread joined the Forum on Wednesday 24 February at 9:44am GMT, located this thread and responded and has not returned to the Forum since 9:44am GMT Wednesday 24 February. Presumably they had shared all the wisdom they had. Of course this may have been a "lurker" who felt strongly about the topic and felt compelled to join and post. Though advising an American citizen to check with the Spanish local police along the entirety of the Caminos as to the laws and regulations on the carrying of knives might not be as practical as it seemed when typed. ;)

Members wishing to avoid delving to deeply into the past might like to note that the original posting date of any thread or comment appears at the top-left of the post.
Are we talking about the person that had nothing more to contribute than a link to a TikTok account/page/whatnot? Or am i confusing things here?

Anyways, not that important. Lets continue :)

Regulations in Europe on international flights are not unlikely to be more strict than on internal national ones.
When it comes to knives, I have decided to trust none of the rules. It's just much easier to purchase a cheapie when you arrive...any of them should cut bread and cheese, and I always buy pre-sliced meat.

For UK readers on the way to the airport when we all get back to some sort of normality.
"I have in my possession officer an Opinal number 7 . Being diligent and observant you will of course check the blade and see that it is just under 3 inches long so legal. You will note that the offending couple of tenths had been carefully angle ground out. I trust you will also note the state of my fingers, the lacerations resultant from removing the locking ring which would have also made the knife illegal. You can search my pack because I made sure to discard it and not get caught carrying it around with me because had your day been slow you could have nicked me for that as well"
The key words and I would guess this applies anywhere are "reasonable excuse", for that read "reason" and at the tail end of any tale you choose to justify "reasonable" there will be a copper who will decide your fate. You are therefore dependent on how good their day has been.
Its been a couple of years but I have been there, trust me.
Don

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
As have I, Don...and similar holds true of hiking poles. I've had a couple of varying scenarios of my own on those, too. No rules seem consistent or guaranteed no matter what we hear or read.

Are we talking about the person that had nothing more to contribute than a link to a TikTok account/page/whatnot? Or am i confusing things here?
Yes, you are confusing threads in this particular case.

Some (likely hijacked) account postet some spam in various older threads, thats why they are back up.
Not necessarily. People should be aware that old threads often pop into view without having been hijacked in any way. For example if you start to write a new thread and enter "knife" in the title, a little box appears, asking "Is this already being talked about?" If the first example thread dates back to 2016, someone might simply click on it and add a post there, without noticing the date.

Similarly, when you are viewing any thread, scroll down the screen to see "Similar Threads" at the bottom. Those may also be quite old.

Search results are delivered in order of "Relevance" unless you go into Advanced Search to select date order.

So, it is understandable that old threads are occasionally reactivated. In these days of no Caminos to talk about, it is not such a bad thing! :)

Last edited:

€149,-
I just bought an inexpensive folding knife in Saint Jean and assumed that it was legal in Spain. If not, dumping it wouldn't have bothered me. Since it folded, my having it was not obvious, except when actuality using it.

Most read last week in this forum

Hola. While I am familiar with air travel restrictions on knives, I want to read your answers on carrying a small folding knife (Gerber Gear US1, (2.6 inch /6.6 cm blade)) in trains and buses in...
Hello. Having done the Portugese Central from Porto a few years ago, we will be doing the Frances from Leon this April. Searching the forums for footwear suggestions, we (wife and I) decided on...
I couldn't find any posts about this topic on the forum (first time that's ever happened) so I thought I'd ask... It always seemed to me that wringing hand-washed clothes never works very well...
Hi All, I am completing the Camino Ingles in April. I have just bought hiking trainers, as I find walking boots very heavy on my little, old feet. Hpwever, I am worried about conditions, with...
Hello, I will be doing El Camino from Sarria to Santiago this May 13 for the first time. I tend to twist my ankles in uneven surfaces and to easily slip on slippery surfaces. I have some...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.