• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

List of Churches - Sarria to Santiago

cwalden

Time of past OR future Camino
July 2024
Can you help me find a list of churches that are on the route from Sarria to Santiago.

My son and I will be walking this journey in July 2024. Our first. Very excited.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Oh, I would love this too! I was looking for Mass times yesterday and it wasn’t as easy as I thought.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Can you help me find a list of churches that are on the route from Sarria to Santiago.

My son and I will be walking this journey in July 2024. Our first. Very excited.
List of parishes in Diocese of Lugo. All in alphabetical order.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I suppose that the best answer depends on why you are looking for the list. Others have answered based on the assumption that you are looking for churches in order to attend masses. I have nothing to add to what they have said from that perspective.

If, on the other hand, your interest in churches is more cultural, then Gitlitz and Davidson's The Pilgrimage Road to Santiago: The Complete Cultural Handbook probably lists just about all of the churches of any possible interest you will walk past between Sarria and Santiago.

What David said. What information are you looking for?

I found misas.org not too hard, * if* what you want is to attend Mass. You tell it what day you're interested in, let it use your location, and it will tell you what churches in a radius around your location will have Mass at what times. I found that the announcement board on the church ( if it had one) might not be up to date.

Now, the challenge. Misas.org doesn't care which way you're walking, or that you're walking, and it doesnt appear to be linked to a map like Masstimes is in the US. For any given day, the only Mass on that day in a given radius may be behind you, or off the Camino entirely.

There are not nearly enough priests nor native worshippers in Spain, especially after Covid, to have a Mass in every church in every village on every day. Even in the popular months.

Now, if you just want a look inside...still problematic. You'll end up keeping your fingers crossed that it's open when you go by, or that someone has a key and is around to let you in.

Either way, Buen Camino...but don't allow your expectations free reign.

It seems that every town, village, or hamlet on the Camino has a church of some sort.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
In 2017 we were able to attend pilgrim Masses in Sarria, Portomarin, Melide and Arzua. Can't recall, (and didn't write down ) the church names but they were obvious. And if not , just ask your hospitalero or hotel clerk and I bet they can point you in the right direction. We didn't stay in Pedrouzo or Palas del Rei but I'd be surprised if they didn't also have Masses.
If you were looking to go to Mass , you will enjoy it. The local parishioners also come and are very welcoming.

Buen Camino!

1) Almost every pueblo on the Francese has a church. 2) Most (not all) will have an evening mass, at 7 or 8 pm, depending on the season. 3) The time may not be posted or may not be posted accurately;
4) hospitaleros should know the time (some don't!), 5) the bartender nearest the church will know, 6) older villagers might know. As @David Tallan suggests, Gitlitz and Davidson will give you great background on each church, and you will be able to annoy clergy for years to come with your knowledge of obscure Spanish saints.

In the past 8-10 years the Spanish bishops along the Camino Francese realized that this was no longer your typical rural village scenario, and they focussed on seeing Camino Francese churches relatively well supplied with clergy and have even tried to get multilingual clergy available -- do Not count on this on other Caminos (on the del Norte and Primitivo, it was difficult to find evening masses and on the Catalan, nigh-impossible outside major towns).

In the same way that there is no overall official Camino authority in Spain, there seems to be no overall coordination of church times. Misa.org is often out of date and, in any case, schedules are vulnerable to the priest having a flat tire.... My advice to @cwalden is to not expect to plan this from overseas (or even two villages down!), and to chance his arm and ask around on arrival, and turn up. Villagers and townsfolk will be happy to see @cwalden and son. After mass, the priest will give you a sello for your credenciales.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.

Most read last week in this forum

Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
From a friend on the ground in Pamplona https://www.noticiasdenavarra.com/fotos/general/sociedad/2024/04/23/nieve-primaveral-presente-navarra-8152386.html

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back