• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Long vs Short Camino Emotions Experienced

La Brique Jaune

Official member of la confradia del pinza del oro
Time of past OR future Camino
2017: SJPDP to Finisterre
2024: SJDP to ?
Hi to All,

I imagine is a strange question but I'm trying to plan my next vacation (august) and i want to have some thoughts/opinion from pilgrims. Last year I did the Camino Francès From SJPDP to Finisterre, I have full of time. When I came back home I realize that was maybe the best experience of my life, I felt big emotions there. But I think I lived theses emotions because I walk during a long time and could not be experienced on a shorter walk. I want to see Finisterre again so I'm interested to do the Ingès way and do a Loop Like Ingès-Muxia-Finisterre. So want do you think ? How a smaller Camino can give great emotions ? it is possible ? How i can focus myself ?

PS: I come from north America, maybe three week of vacations, walk 20 km/day and a Compostela it is not important for me.

Thanks

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Thanks You,
I can not do a Camino this year, not enough vacation :(. so I will wait for the next one.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I am about to do a short one (the Primitivo), so we'll see if it's long enough to feel the magic and emotion of the camino. I hope and suspect that once you have felt the magic for the first time, you can recapture it fairly quickly in subsequent walks. But I'll have to wait a few more days to find out if that's true!

Our first Camino was interupted after a week due to an emergency at home. We still got some Camino magic, but did feel like we were just begining to hit our stride. When we got home, we definitely felt changed even in the short time that we walked though. When we went back 2 years later to complete it, we felt like we hit our stride a little faster - even the first day walking we felt ourselves getting into our Camino groove. So I do think there is something to the theory that it is easier and faster to recapture the Camino groove on subsequent walks.

When we just walked from Porto to Santiago it definitely felt too short although there had been plenty of magic. We were just grateful for the opportunity and understand that while we like a three month walk, sometimes it's not possible and a shorter one can be just right for the time.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
When we just walked from Porto to Santiago it definitely felt too short although there had been plenty of magic. We were just grateful for the opportunity and understand that while we like a three month walk, sometimes it's not possible and a shorter one can be just right for the time.

We did Porto-Santiago as well, but it did not feel too short. It was magical for sure, in a different way than the CF had been.

Maybe because now we knew how to pack well, what to expect from albergues, trains, from Santiago itself... So all the "doubts" were gone and there was just magic and excitement. And amazing food.

I totally believe a shorter experience can be just as magical. If not, shorter Caminos such as the Ingles or the Primitivo would not even be a thing anymore, right? And they have big-time fans :)

I have walked both long and short caminos, the end result of walking a short one is that I feel restless and start planning another one soon! Last year I only had one week, so I walked the Salvador, which was lovely, but it ended in Oviedo and the vast majority of people in the albergue were about to walk the Primitivo. It was very, very hard to get on the flight home, as every part of me yearned to head West and walk to Santiago...

Most read last week in this forum

Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...
Hi! I just want to know if anyone had any success (or trouble conversely on that matter) using your Visa Debit Card with 6-digit PIN when withdrawing Euros in ATMs in France and Spain? Just want...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.