A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Luggage Transfer Correos

Madrid to Pamplona

Camino Badges
Camino(s) past & future
June: Camino Frances from Pamplona
Hello everyone! I did a rome2rio search for getting a train from the Madrid airport to the Atocha Cercanias Renfe station and that seems pretty easy, but has anyone had any actual boots-on-the-ground experience with finding the Aeropuerto T4 station to catch the train to Atocha Cercanias? I mean along the lines of, "From the arrival gate, go to concourse B, etc?" I can probably download a MAD map, but if anyone has actually taken that train (and I'm sure someone has!), can you tell me precisely how to get to the train station at MAD to go to Atocha Cercanias? I don't want to spend any more time in Madrid than absolutely necessary. I plan to get to Pamplona as early as possible and don't want to waste any time getting lost in the airport or missing trains. Thanks for any help!

Warmly,

Barry

Tincatinker

Staff member
Camino(s) past & future
Lots ;0)
Get off your ‘plane, follow everyone else to reclaim, passport control and arrivals. If you’re landing at t4 follow the cercianas signs, if not follow the bus signs 😉. Precise directions won’t help - its an airport stuff changes all the time. Allow minimum two hours from your scheduled landing time to Atocha ( yes it can be done in one hour but don’t plan on possibilities). If you get to Atocha early you’ll have proved it can be done faster. Its only a short walk from Atocha Cercianas to the platforms for North bound trains.
Happy planning

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances 2016, Mansill de las Mulas to Finisterre and Muxia 2017, Camino Aragones 2018

Here is a link that may help you. Scroll down and there is a photo.

Leave baggage claim and go to the right (right if you were leaving the airport building but you are not leaving) , you should see what is in the photo. For the train to Atocha you may see signs that say "ferrocarril" or the red C for Cercanias. There are ticket machines near the signs as well as an office or desk with someone who can help you.

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances 2016, Mansill de las Mulas to Finisterre and Muxia 2017, Camino Aragones 2018
@barryg , a bit of explanation: Madrid has two main train stations, the Spanish trains are run by Renfe. Cercanias is a commuter train network in the greater Madrid area, with trains that stop at the airport and each of the two main stations. The Atocha station from which you will go to Pamplona is about a half hour ride from the airport. @Anniesantiago is right in that you can get a bus just outside T4 to take you to Pamplona. Check prices and schedules to decide which will work better for you. I took the train because after a long transatlantic flight I was willing to spend a little extra for the train so that I could move around and have access to a bathroom. Be aware that it can be a little tricky getting around the Atocha station. Enjoy the adventure!!

Last edited:

lt56ny

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
CF2012,Le Puy/CF 2015 Portugues 2017 Norte 2018, CF 2019
Depending when you arrive in Madrid you could fly to Pamplona for just a few dollars more than the train. I am staying a few days in Madrid to rest up from my flight. I am arriving in Madrid on October 26 and taking a flight on Iberia from T4 on Monday October 28th. I think my flight cost $41US. I am leaving at 815AM. Even though I booked the flight on the Iberia website, you fly Air Nostrum which I believe is Iberia's domestic airline. The flight takes about an hour. If I remember there were 3 flights to Pamplona a day. I took the early one so I can catch the bus to St. Jean in the afternoon. If the prices and times work for you it could be a good alternative.

Camino(s) past & future
Your post is entitled Madrid to Pamplona.
Is there some reason you don't just walk off the plane to the front of T4 and get the bus to Pamplona?
Easy peasy and just as fast.
Didn't know I could, but now I do. I remember my last trip on a bus from Santiago to Portugal and it was horrendous! I would rather take the train or fly than go through that again. Personal space was almost zero and the passenger in front of me reclined her seat and I could barely move or breath. Then the bus broke down for 3 hours. It was probably one of those just-unlucky-circumstances-but-I-will-remember-it-forever sort of things, so you're probably right. Thanks for your post!

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances, 2015
If I remember there were 3 flights to Pamplona a day. I took the early one so I can catch the bus to St. Jean in the afternoon. If the prices and times work for you it could be a good alternative.
Pamplona's street bus (the A line) has nearly direct service from the airport to the bus station (only two intermediate stops). It leaves once an hour on the hour and takes about 16 minutes. Line A also goes from the train station to the bus station (again two intermediate stops). Every hour on the half hour taking about 19 minutes. https://infotuc.es/index.php/es/horarios-y-recorridos/linea/A

Camino(s) past & future
Thanks for all your replies. I'm leaning toward flying. I love the train, but I'm itching to get into Pamplona early, and as I said, the bus ride I remember--as a tall person--was very uncomfortable, although it's probably only about 3 hours as opposed to the 8 hour trip to Portugal.

lt56ny

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
CF2012,Le Puy/CF 2015 Portugues 2017 Norte 2018, CF 2019
Pamplona's street bus (the A line) has nearly direct service from the airport to the bus station (only two intermediate stops). It leaves once an hour on the hour and takes about 16 minutes. Line A also goes from the train station to the bus station (again two intermediate stops). Every hour on the half hour taking about 19 minutes. https://infotuc.es/index.php/es/horarios-y-recorridos/linea/A
For some reason I can't get this page to open but I know Google Maps have schedules. I am going to go to Decathalon as soon as I land to buy some poles and get a knife. Google maps said it would take about 30 minutes. My Spanish is good enough to get on the right bus. I hope!!!!! Thanks

Camino(s) past & future
Nearly every year since 2006, often walking more than one route. 2018 was Camino #14
Didn't know I could, but now I do. I remember my last trip on a bus from Santiago to Portugal and it was horrendous! I would rather take the train or fly than go through that again. Personal space was almost zero and the passenger in front of me reclined her seat and I could barely move or breath. Then the bus broke down for 3 hours. It was probably one of those just-unlucky-circumstances-but-I-will-remember-it-forever sort of things, so you're probably right. Thanks for your post!
Spanish buses are a LOT different from Portuguese buses (and I'm Portuguese!) They are Mercedes Benz buses with HUGE comfie seats, clean as a whistle, large viewing windows, and no bad seats. I have used the bus from Madrid to Pamplona almost every year for over 10 years. Love Spanish buses! And very convenient.

Camino(s) past & future
Is there some reason you don't just walk off the plane to the front of T4 and get the bus to Pamplona?
When I do a Rome2Rio search, it tells me this bus is PLM Autocares. Is that the bus that leaves from T4?

Camino(s) past & future
No, go to the Alsa site. That is the company that leaves from T4.

Edit: On this thread I have learned a few things! I have taken the Alsa bus from T4 to Burgos, no problem, no stops and I will do it again in September. But to go to Pamplona from T4 there is a stop and change. Thus the Conda bus is the best choice for a no change bus to Pamplona. On Post #19 of this thread @Anniesantiago shows us the movelia.es website which is a wonderful discovery for me. Thank you Annie!

Last edited:

Travelin'Tom

Camino(s) past & future
September 2019
I'm also considering flying from Madrid to Pamplona. Can I make the bus connection in Pamplona? Flight would arrive 13:10 and bus leaves 14:30. Assume would have to take a taxi. Do I check luggage on this flight? If not I'll need to obtain a new knife, etc. .... Any input is appreciated.

Camino(s) past & future
Nearly every year since 2006, often walking more than one route. 2018 was Camino #14
When I do a Rome2Rio search, it tells me this bus is PLM Autocares. Is that the bus that leaves from T4?
Personally, I don't care for Rome2Rio, but that's me.

I never ever buy my tickets ahead of time.
I just purchase them at the airport.
It's cheaper and I've never had an issue getting a seat.
I usually try to arrive in Madrid early morning. That way I can sleep on the way and have lots of bus options.

The website for checking bus times is www.movelia.es
It is in Spanish but you can figure it out.
I just did a search for July 15, 2019 and this is what I found.
These are the buses running that day.

To see the buses, see my old blog post (some of the info may be out of date, but still helpful) at
Screen Shot 2019-07-11 at 8.50.06 PM.pngScreen Shot 2019-07-11 at 8.50.15 PM.pngScreen Shot 2019-07-11 at 8.50.06 PM.png

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances, 2015
I'm also considering flying from Madrid to Pamplona. Can I make the bus connection in Pamplona? Flight would arrive 13:10 and bus leaves 14:30. Assume would have to take a taxi. Do I check luggage on this flight? If not I'll need to obtain a new knife, etc. .... Any input is appreciated.
There is another bus at 17:30 so it boils down to whether you want to spend the cab fare to spend three hours in SJ or the bus fare to spend three hours wandering in Pamplona. Also the line A bus is scheduled to get to the bus station at 14:16 if I remember the schedule correctly. You could make the connection but you are not far from interesting sites if you don't. Buy your 17:30 ticket first though.

Camino(s) past & future
@Anniesantiago, A question for you, I have been looking at some bus tickets between Astorga and SdC that appear to have a 15 minute stop in Ponferrada. Can I assume that it allows one a quick bathroom break?

E V Waight

It's the journey, not the destination.
Camino(s) past & future
September (2017)
Possible September (2018)
Holy Year (2021) (all three Gladys, John and I)
That's what we did. Walked out front at T4 and there, viola, were the buses. Yes, it is that simple.

Camino(s) past & future
@barryg , a bit of explanation: Madrid has two main train stations, the Spanish trains are run by Renfe. Cercanias is a commuter train network in the greater Madrid area, with trains that stop at the airport and each of the two main stations. The Atocha station from which you will go to Pamplona is about a half hour ride from the airport. @Anniesantiago is right in that you can get a bus just outside T4 to take you to Pamplona. Check prices and schedules to decide which will work better for you. I took the train because after a long transatlantic flight I was willing to spend a little extra for the train so that I could move around and have access to a bathroom. Be aware that it can be a little tricky getting around the Atocha station. Enjoy the adventure!!
Thanks for you post! I've decided to take the bus, because it is, er, easy peasy.

Camino(s) past & future
Another poster said that their is a stop and change on the bus from MAD to Pamplona. Do you know about that. And do you know where I should get off in Pamplona to make the connection to the SJPDP bus? Estacion de Autobuses Pamplona, perhaps?? I don't get any answer to my emails to Alsa. The other poster said Conda was a better choice. What do you think? BTW thanks for your original reply.

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances, 2015
Another poster said that their is a stop and change on the bus from MAD to Pamplona. Do you know about that. And do you know where I should get off in Pamplona to make the connection to the SJPDP bus? Estacion de Autobuses Pamplona, perhaps?? I don't get any answer to my emails to Alsa. The other poster said Conda was a better choice. What do you think? BTW thanks for your original reply.
ALSA, a national and international carrier, is part owner of CONDA, a Navarra carrier that runs the bus to SJPdP. You can buy the CONDA tickets on the ALSA website or at the station. The bus from Madrid stops at the station in Pamplona where you get the bus to SJPdP. The station is at the corner of a park and is mostly underground with a modern glass structure on top serving as its entrance.

Yes, it is Estacion de Autobuses Pamplona. Inside, the ticket offices for the various bus lines may have different hours. Also they may be shut down for lunch/siesta at different times and for different length of times.

The website for the bus station is: http://www.estaciondeautobusesdepamplona.com/es

This may be a more useful page for the traveller: http://www.estaciondeautobusesdepamplona.com/Atencion-al-viajero.aspx

A picture of the station is at http://www.estaciondeautobusesdepamplona.com/Imagenes/cabecera_dia.jpg

Last edited:
Camino(s) past & future
Does the bus from Pamplona to SJPDP arrive at Gare de Saint Jean Pied de Port? I am trying to find lodging near to where I arrive in SJPDP, as I am arriving late & I think the municipal hostel will be full or closed

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances, 2015
I don't remember where in town you are dropped off but it doesn't really matter as it cannot be more than a 5 or 10 minute walk from wherever to the center of town. The last bus leaves Pamplona at 17:30 and the trip is less than 3 hours. You have time. Go to the Pilgrims Office and they will help you find lodging if you haven't booked something beforehand. You seem to me to be anxious about this trip. Prebooking may be helpful for you.

Camino(s) past & future
The bus from Madrid will leave you at Estacion de Autobuses.
I have always spent one or two nights in Pamplona. See the city, rest from the trip, then on your way BACK through, you can walk straight through Pamplona and go a bit further, making your day over the Perdon Hill a bit easier.

Any of the buses are fine, though if you look at the schedule I posted, Conda has the most buses going, and they're great in my opinion.

On some buses, there is a change, but it is simple and they are so used to pilgrims that they will help you, telling you where to catch the next bus. Honest, it's easy - even if you don't speak Spanish. With so many pilgrims walking, they are used to pilgrims and are very helpful.

Just go.. if you haven't made your reservations to Madrid yet, try to arrive early morning. That way you will have plenty of options in case the first buses are full (I've never gotten there to find a full bus) - don't worry about making reservations ahead of time. Just go and the Camino will provide. Have faith. Don't worry. Just go. When you arrive in Madrid, if you aren't sure of yourself, ask one of the people in Kelly green (see my blog post). You'll be fine :)

PS: Again, you can check the schedule of buses at www.movelia.es
Just put in the info for the date you are GOING (don't use their calendar) and you'll see all the buses. If you need help doing that, PM me.

Book your lodging here

Get e-mail updates from Casa Ivar (Forum + Forum Store content)

Advertisement

Booking.com

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 15 1.4%
  • February

Votes: 5 0.5%
  • March

Votes: 41 3.9%
  • April

Votes: 158 15.2%
  • May

Votes: 259 25.0%