• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

medieval pilgrimage?

orlaithballach

hi--i'm new, and i have some questions--how bizarre, preposterous, unreasonable is it to consider walking the camino in medieval clothing? i am obsessed with the idea and am trying to figure out how feasible it is.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Well, I guess such a proposition might be considered bizarre, preposterous and unreasonable but it is perfectly feasible. Think wool, think linen ( not cotton ) , think silk. Leather for boots. There is very little difference between 10C & 20C clothing styles - trews, shirts, jackets, skirts, dresses have all been around for a long time, vid The Iceman. But; no zips, no goretex, no "supportive" underwear, nothing more waterproof than raw wool or oiled leather.

Much will depend on your ability and willingness to create authentic garments and to wear them for thirty days. Apart from the silk none of those fabrics washes or dries too easily and the 10C version of deodorant was to stand down-wind.

i have been involved in medieval reenactment so, creating and wearing the clothes sounds good to me (and i do it often) as i find it generally more comfy than modern clothes. i do wear and would wear modern underwear, and likely would wear some sort of running shorts under my dresses to avoid chafing. i'm debating about truly medieval shoes. they worry me. i own some, but i'm not sure that walking far in them on paved roads is a good plan. they are actually quite comfortable for me on grass/dirt, but pavement wears them out very quickly.

i am also debating exactly what to do about a backpack. i likely will make most of the my actual walking clothes out of linen and silk. but would plan on a wool cloak of some sort. i also use modern deodorant.

i'm a bit worried about when would be the most feasible weather-wise, but i camp often in very hot weather actually, and again linen is a life saver.

additionally: is the odd clothing going to make getting along on the walk--both with other pilgrims and more with local people--impossible. harder i can live with, but a target would concern me.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Re: Re: medieval pilgrimage?

orlaithballach said:
additionally: is the odd clothing going to make getting along on the walk--both with other pilgrims and more with local people--impossible. harder i can live with, but a target would concern me.

I don't think it will, there really are all types on the camino. I honestly wouldn't be too surprised to see someone in medieval clothing in the Camino. You'll certainly get a lot of attention and questions so be prepared for the onslaught of curiosity!

Hello! A number of people have done this before. Have a look at this blog:

http://camino-medieval.webs.com/

sadly he has no photos. However, there is at least one other out there with photos of the clothing, equipment and the trip. Alas, I cannot find the link at the moment, and Google is being pesky!

buen camino!

Alex

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I met a man who wore no shoes and had just a thick white medieval cape over him.

He seemed sane and was well respected by those who met him.

If the worse comes to the worst the Camino has clothing shops :!: and even a post office from which you could send your medieval outfit to SdC (cheaper than sending it home, though check the date on the parcel by which you must pick it up.)

Oh, yes. I hope you are not shy about being photographed because Everyone will want one of you. :wink:

edited add on. I spend a lot of my time in Tevas, but carry walking trainers for when it is very muddy/raining.

orlaithballach said:
i am also debating exactly what to do about a backpack. i likely will make most of the my actual walking clothes out of linen and silk. but would plan on a wool cloak of some sort. i also use modern deodorant.

No backpack was used by Medieval pilgrims! Most carried a type of small bag known as a scrip which resembles a modern book bag. It is cited by Sir Walter Raleigh as one of the visible attributes of a pilgrim in his famous 16th century poem, His Pilgrimage

"GIVE me my scallop-shell of quiet,
My staff of faith to walk upon,
My scrip of joy, immortal diet,
My bottle of salvation,
My gown of glory, hope's true gage;
And thus I'll take my pilgrimage...."

No sleeping bag was carried either; they often slept unwashed wrapped in their 'gowns of glory'. Rough going to say the least. No wonder that pilgrims washed at Lavacolla just before arriving at Santiago de Compostella. Named for the act of washing one’s bottom, during the Middle Ages the nearby stream was the last cleansing place before entry into the great city. The obligatory stop was a pilgrim rite both physical and spiritual. Today the Camino still passes the water and one runway of the international airport! Culture shock!

Margaret Meredith

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
orlaithballach,

That’s the good idea. In fact you are no first and no last who is thinking about that and who just accomplished it. Just do it. The easiest thing is just to put on medieval doublet, houses, boots or pilgrim’s robe. It will be just the colorful show. The most important think is to understand to purposes and thoughts of the medieval pilgrims. To start research that you probably need to read the Jonathan Sumption’s book “The Age of Pilgrimage. Medieval Journey to God”.
http://www.amazon.com/Age-Pilgrimage-Me ... =Sumptions

I attached a picture of pilgrim from the Castilian Icon of second part of XV century. And a picture with two Italian Pilgrims from the fresco of second part of XV century from the Florentine Chapel of Saint Martin. These pictures are the best source of necessary information.
Good like and go ahead good man. I hope one day I’ll de the same!

Sincerely,
Oleg

Attachments

• IMG_5344.jpg
    IMG_5344.jpg
    168.7 KB · Views: 364
  • IMG_5572a.jpg
    IMG_5572a.jpg
    300.6 KB · Views: 362
On my first Camino I met a girl in medieval clothes. She was quite comfortable and attracted a bit of an audience. lol But she seemed happy! :lol:

my biggest concern is not dealing with the medieval clothes, like i said, i do things where i end up in these clothes for a week or two without any thoughts. in many ways they are more comfortable than modern clothes. (for me at least).

i don't care about pics. :::shrug::: again---when you go shopping at walmart occasionally in medieval, you get used to funny looks, and questions.

unrelated question: i have a chronic disease (CML) which worries me far more i guess, than the clothes, when i think through it. since i was diagnosed sept 2011, i've lost lots of muscle mass, etc.

do people who are sick walk this? is it stupid for me to try?

details: i am on daily oral chemo therapy that i'll have to be on forever in all likelihood. my disease is under control but in the process of getting there, i've been dealing lousy side effects that leave me with way less energy than a typical person.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Re: Re: medieval pilgrimage?

orlaithballach said:
unrelated question: i have a chronic disease (CML) which worries me far more i guess, than the clothes, when i think through it. since i was diagnosed sept 2011, i've lost lots of muscle mass, etc.

do people who are sick walk this? is it stupid for me to try?
Yes and you should really be asking your treating doctor the second question. We cannot know the status of your condition and whether and where suitable treatment might be available should that become necessary.
That said, you will find plenty of support on this forum if you do try.

I can't really help with your health related question, that is something you have to decide with your doctor. But as for "medieval outfit", here the link to a website of somebody that has done it: http://am-jakobsweg.blogspot.co.at/ The website itself is in German, so you might need to use Google Translate to get around, but the images are well worth looking at. SY

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Yesterday we saw a number of folk at a St George's Day festival dressed in costume from the middle ages through to the C17th. If you are comfortable with the clothing then it should be no problem.

Healthwise, of your doctor says it is OK then it could be good for you, both physically and for your sense of well being. However do make sure that you have the sort of health insurance that will cover treatment for a 'pre-existing' condition and repatriation if needed. (Check the small print) This is not to be gloomy but to be practical and the extra cost is offset by peace of mind for you and your family. Somewhere there is a thread about specific travel health insurance, some one else can maybe point you to the right section for your area.
Buen Camino

If you have a health problem you need to allow extra time to complete the route - and some time out during the walk, and an alternative if you are unable to continue (short term or long)
I have fibromyalgia and suffer a lot with pain and exhaustion. I thought doing the pilgrimage was beyond my wildest dreams - but i did it!
As i cannot carry a pack - or walk far - I cycled. With my husband carrying far more than me (well - he's a fit guy!) We did the Camino Portuguese and many parts of the Norte and Litoral.
We kept to between 12-35 miles a day (other cyclists were doing 50-100!) and mostly kept up with the other walkers - which made them laugh and feel like supermen! Every 3 days or so we would have a day, or half day off and just try to rest. Also, later in the trip (we did every inch of the 'Portuguese') we 'jumped' past mountains by getting the train, this meant that i got to experience most of N Spain, and France without burning myself out. We also knew exactly where we could 'get out' and get home if it was too much for me.
So I suggest you do a few walks locally and see what your capabilities are - can you carry a pack? would you be better with a walking trailer? Should you find a companion to help and support? Then you will have a good idea of a daily distance that you can manage. Decide if you can keep at that every day, or should you factor in 'rest' time. This can always be spent in interesting places along the way - perhaps some gentle sightseeing round cathedrals/churches etc! Also make sure you know where you can travel home from easily, if you cannot continue. It is always possible to do the journey in sections - better than not doing it at all. Another thing - it is great to just up and go - but those of us with disabilities are sometimes better off planning - to fail to plan is to plan to fail (as my husband keeps reminding me!)
I think many medieval pilgrims would of taken their time too. Many would of had disabilities/illnesses etc and it might of been their only travel experience - so i don't suppose they would rush it. Perhaps 'rushing' is quite a modern habit!
I hope it all goes well for you, bon camino

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...
Hello my name is Brenda and I am establishing a daily AA meeting 6-7 pm at Casa Anglican WhatsApp 416-8018176 for daily updates Thankyou. Buen Camino
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...
Hello. I’m Steph from USA Arriving in pamplona May 27 2024 Is anyone arriving that destination & date so we can coordinate transportation to SJPP. TIA

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back