• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Meindl Respond Mid XCR

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Anyone tried these? What do you think?

Hi Al my wife uses Meindl all the time, she has a pair of boots that she loves, and some of the shoes. The shoes are an earlier version, they are not Vibram soles but Meindl, but they seem to last forever (out most weekends in Yorkshire but not always in her shoes). She likes the look of the new ones and is going to take a closer look although she doesn't need to replace hers yet? I should imagine the gents are equally as good a buy if they are the right fit for your feet, quite broad fitting.

Anyone tried these? What do you think?
Yes I used these boots when I did the camino in 2011 and they were ideal for it; very robust with excellent support and shock absorbtion so brilliant for the varied surfaces you walk on from treacherous steep goat tracks to a lot of pavement, they were excellent in the heat - we had many days of 30C and water proof in the torrential rain of Galicia over the last week. They are as light as you can get with all those qualities and worth every penny they cost. They are still going strong and I expect to wear them again this year when I do the Frances again. I had tried several different types before I bought them from shoes to heavier boots but these Meindls won easily on every count. Best of luck.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi I used these boots on my 2012 camino, I had picked them because I used the Meindl Alicante on my 2011 camino and was very happy with them, so I picked the Respond because they had the same sole unit and were lighter.However unlike the last person I had a negative experience, the stitching started to seperate after 500 km, so negating the waterproofness also the soul had become quite smooth affecting their traction, but that could be because of the amount of asphalt walking on the Norte. The postives are that they are very light and feel great to wear.

I have a pair and wear them most days. Fantastic boots, very breathable and incredibly comfortable. They didnt take any breaking in at all. Downsides, the waterproofing is very good but not as good as a full leather boot. My feet get damp in the prolonged mud/deep puddles round here. Dont get me wrong, they stand up to rainy day walking very well, if your conditions mean immersion then they aren't as good as other boots.

I'd buy another pair, I'm a long term Meindl fan though (my Borneos were stilk going after a decade).

I did the Salvador in them, not a single foot complaint.

Meindl or Scarpa are the premium footwear producers.
10-15+ years footware.
If you can afford it, go for it.

Buen Camino
Lettinggo

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I walked two years ago in Meindl (Matrei GTX) - for women - chose them because it was advertised that they had a broad forefront foot-box. They hardly needed breaking in and I never had a 'real' blister, only two hotspots which Compeed immediately remedied (and mind you: liner sock and wool sock - and never used vaseline or other ointments on my feet before the day's walk).

Only on one occasion they became thoroughly wet, but that was inevitable because I had to walk on paths which became kind of rivers during a torrential 5 hour downpour with thunder and lightening (on a long stretch with no shelter possibilities - and the path being a river flowing one way or the other depending on the sloping - and with bankings on the sides). - They dried somewhat overnight, and with double-socking it was perfectly doable to walk in them the next day.

They still look as good as new - and I use them in winter. - If the male versions are as good as the female ones, I would certainly root for the Meindl brand.

annelise

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.