• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Mind over Matter

Joodle

Time of past OR future Camino
CF May 10th- June 21st 2016
VDLP March-April 2017
CF coming up April-May
I went out for my first hike with my fully packed back pack. It weighed 17 lbs. I didn't feel it in my back so much, as my pack fits well, I just got tired much sooner. That was only a 5 mile walk. Help!!! For you Camino experts, what helped you continue on when your mind said stop and you knew your body could continue. Did you have some mind games or positive thought processes that helped you continue? I leave in 6 weeks, now I'm getting scared. I keep reminding myself that I trained for and did a Triathlon and came in, in the middle of the pack against much younger women. It's been about 3 years since then and I'm not in as good of shape. Please share how you were able to keep going when tired, or walking through some discomfort. :( Thanks in advance

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Start your training walks at 5 miles with your pack half full and works up to 10+ miles and the full pack just 7 days before you leave. IMHO the first 2-3 days of the camino can be shorter days and then you will find a pace and rhythm that works for you. Don't be too hard on yourself cuz that will defeat you. You can do it Joodle! I was 69 and only somewhat fit and I did it. Sometimes I kept going just to get to a cafe for a cafe con leche and the conversation that came with it!! Buen camino!

Well for one thing, they throw you out of the albergue at 8:00 and you can't get into the next one until around 1:00 so you might as well walk!

Kidding aside, I find it much easier to be motivated on the Camino as you have new scenery every day, those interesting towns up ahead, and most of all lots of fellow pilgrims to encourage you.

Not that you won't get tired, and sometimes REALLY tired, but remember it's not a race and you can go at your own pace. You can rest or just stop and smell the roses as often as you want. And if you are just too tired and in need of a rest day or sightseeing day, take it.

I would say that an awful lot of people on the Camino are not super fit. Just regular folks. You'll be fine.

Buen Camino!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I went out for my first hike with my fully packed back pack. It weighed 17 lbs. I didn't feel it in my back so much, as my pack fits well, I just got tired much sooner. That was only a 5 mile walk. Help!!! For you Camino experts, what helped you continue on when your mind said stop and you knew your body could continue. Did you have some mind games or positive thought processes that helped you continue? I leave in 6 weeks, now I'm getting scared. I keep reminding myself that I trained for and did a Triathlon and came in, in the middle of the pack against much younger women. It's been about 3 years since then and I'm not in as good of shape. Please share how you were able to keep going when tired, or walking through some discomfort. :( Thanks in advance[/QUOTE
I went out for my first hike with my fully packed back pack. It weighed 17 lbs. I didn't feel it in my back so much, as my pack fits well, I just got tired much sooner. That was only a 5 mile walk. Help!!! For you Camino experts, what helped you continue on when your mind said stop and you knew your body could continue. Did you have some mind games or positive thought processes that helped you continue? I leave in 6 weeks, now I'm getting scared. I keep reminding myself that I trained for and did a Triathlon and came in, in the middle of the pack against much younger women. It's been about 3 years since then and I'm not in as good of shape. Please share how you were able to keep going when tired, or walking through some discomfort. :( Thanks in advance

Hi Joodle, I am 57 and am leaving for my first Camino in 33 days and I feel your anxiety. I am reasonably fit and have been walking with my 9kg pack for the last month or so. I too have done the odd Tri, a few years back and I am now walking about 20km both days every weekend. I was feeling great up until this weekend when I started to think 'what if' my pack is too heavy and on day 3 I cant keep walking, are my boots really comfortable, should I take a poncho or rain pants, is my hat the right one, are my socks comfy enough. When really up until yesterday everything was perfectly ok. I think maybe as time gets closer we over analysis things too much instead of just accepting that we have put a lot of thought into what we are doing and now it is time to relax and go with the flow and everything will be ok.
Have a great Camino !
Julie

Hi Joodle, I am 57 and am leaving for my first Camino in 33 days and I feel your anxiety. I am reasonably fit and have been walking with my 9kg pack for the last month or so. I too have done the odd Tri, a few years back and I am now walking about 20km both days every weekend. I was feeling great up until this weekend when I started to think 'what if' my pack is too heavy and on day 3 I cant keep walking, are my boots really comfortable, should I take a poncho or rain pants, is my hat the right one, are my socks comfy enough. When really up until yesterday everything was perfectly ok. I think maybe as time gets closer we over analysis things too much instead of just accepting that we have put a lot of thought into what we are doing and now it is time to relax and go with the flow and everything will be ok.
Have a great Camino !
Julie
Buen Camino to you too. I am still rethinking my Keen leather waterproof boots. They are light weight as far as a mid leather boot goes, and has great toe room, but if I want to wear my walking sandals, I don't know where to fit those size 11 boots!!! I have six weeks to go, and have one more pair of Merrell Kapra hiking shoes coming to try. If they don't work, I will take my boots and be darned!! I will be walking at least every other day with my loaded pack. I will try for 8 miles tomorrow. I just don't want to overdo and wreck something that keeps me from going.

Buen Camino to you too. I am still rethinking my Keen leather waterproof boots. They are light weight as far as a mid leather boot goes, and has great toe room, but if I want to wear my walking sandals, I don't know where to fit those size 11 boots!!! I have six weeks to go, and have one more pair of Merrell Kapra hiking shoes coming to try. If they don't work, I will take my boots and be darned!! I will be walking at least every other day with my loaded pack. I will try for 8 miles tomorrow. I just don't want to overdo and wreck something that keeps me from going.

Its a fine line between training hard enough and overdoing it isn't it o_O
FYI I am wearing boots(tried 3 different pairs :D) and taking hiking sandals for plane travel and evenings. I can also walk in them if I want a break from the boots. I guess the boots will just have to get squashed into my pack somehow ?
(Sorry don't know how to start a private mail)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Modest apologies for my familiar refrain but these pack weights are just far too heavy for a mid-May to mid-June camino; yes, there might be some rain but it will be predominantly warm and sunny (even if it takes an hour or two some mornings for the sun to break through any cloud) - bring only what you will need and use each and every day; remember this is merely a sequence of daily walks across a warm country with plenty of chances to buy extra clothes if the weather is unexpected - it's not the Appalachian Trail

I think 'first time' Pilgrims always feel anxious. I know I did! And I started out not having walked in 6 weeks due to training injuries :( The first time I actually carried the pack I was taking on the Camino, was on the way to the Airport .... I was 58, injured and 10 kg overweight. If I can do it, you can :oops:

You sound like you'll be fine.

For a start, the sheer 'reality' of finally being on your Camino is a huge motivational boost. After all your planning time you are finally there, and nothing is really going to stop you... It's like training for the 'big game' and suddenly you're out on the field with the rest of the team!

Lose some weight! In your pack ;) Maybe 2-3 pounds of that stuff that you 'might' need or could easily do without. (you don't 'need' 17 lbs) Your feet will feel every pound of additional weight.

Start Slow. Take it easy the first couple of days, ease into it. Maybe walk shorter distances on those early days. You can speed up later....

And it's not a race! OK, many people have time constraints and feel they 'must' walk a certain distance each day. But if you can loosen those constraints a bit you will feel better for it. Listen to your body. You'll be acutely aware of how it's holding up. And stop to fix anything that doesn't feel right, before it gets worse.

Although I was one of the slowest walkers I met, if that makes sense, I still mostly kept up with my Camino families. Sure I walked slower, but I just walked more hours. Taking lots of breaks along the way. Boots and socks off, elevating my feet and so on. Lots of stretching. I just drifted in an hour or two later than the others :)

And lastly, IMHO, the Camino is not so much a physical challenge so much as an emotional one. You can 'deal' with the physical stuff. Sure it can be hard, but you can 'deal' with it as required. But the emotional roller coaster? That can knock you flat very easily. Just remember why you are there. All the planning that got you there. All the awesome people you are meeting and are still to meet. The wonderful places you are passing through.

At times when the emotional challenge was tough, I often paused in a local Church. Or even by a roadside cross. Just to reflect on why I was here and what I hoped to learn from my journey. And to give thanks for making this journey possible. You don't need to be religious. It's not about the church or the cross per se, but making a connection.........and seeking moral support. Which always seemed to come in one way or another....... I had some very 'down' days. And my spirits were always lifted.........just when I needed it most.

There are some 'Camino Moments' on my Blog. I didn't share these at first as they are deeply personal, but what the heck. It's all part of the journey.
http://robscamino.com/category/camino-moments/

Just keep going, one foot in front of the other, speed and distance don't matter. You'll get there ;)

P.S. I was at a local clinic today getting Ultrasound Guided Cortisone injections in my Achilles Tendons. (My training injury from last year). We're off on Pilgrimage again in 4 weeks! Yippee :D

what helped you continue on when your mind said stop
It may sound silly, but I was sustained by the thought that the Camino is completely optional! I could quit anytime I wanted. Once you accept that you are there voluntarily, you no long feel driven and can have fun. Yes, at the end of the day you are worn out, but the next morning you can quit if you don't feel like going on. I always wanted to go on!!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I find walking at home bores me, so my kind will start bettling with me much soner than it does on the Camino. And even on the Camino it's an ongoing dialogue: "stop here, you are tired, you can't walk any further, oh yes you can, you have only walked 5km today, but ..." It's just non stop. In the end I set myself small goals: to the next village, road crossing, albergue what have you. Then I rest for a minute or two, or longer, and then pick myself up,and walk on,

I went out for my first hike with my fully packed back pack. It weighed 17 lbs. I didn't feel it in my back so much, as my pack fits well, I just got tired much sooner.
I think you should expect to be either feel tired more rapidly, to be slower, or both. These effects will decrease with training, but won't disappear. Also, if this is your Camino load, heed the advice to halve it and build up to the full load gradually over the time you have remaining.

As for personal motivation, when I was finding it difficult, I would tell myself each night that I could do just one more day before giving up and going home. And in the morning I would set out to do that extra day. At some point, I didn't need to tell myself any longer.

I went out for my first hike with my fully packed back pack. It weighed 17 lbs. ...........

Drop 7 lbs of this pack and you will think you have been training for the last 3 years hahaha :)

Zzotte

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
My last 10 days of training my pack was about 75% (of 7.5kg) packed. I had never walked more than 8km in a day but my first day out from Leon I walked over 25km with ease - no rush. I walked alone and in winter. I used Margaret Meredith's packing list (look for her blog) and it was perfect.

About your footwear, I wore light waterproof hiking boots with gaiters in winter and would do the same again. The gaiters prevent gravel/snow/grass seed from entering your footwear and keep your socks clean.

As others have said, one gets anxious but once you start walking there is no reason for anxiety. Coming from South Africa my greatest joy on the camino was the feeling of freedom and safety in walking alone and also the sense of achievement - doing the distances and coping alone - absolutely wonderful. I know there have been some incidents since my camino in 2013 but I plan to go back. Be sensible as you would travelling anywhere else. Rest during the day for a few minutes and take off your socks and boots to air in the sunshine, take time to admire the surroundings. On the uphills remember to pause and look behind you. The sense of achievement will inspire you to carry on up.

Buen camino and I wish I was in your boots.

My last 10 days of training my pack was about 75% (of 7.5kg) packed. I had never walked more than 8km in a day but my first day out from Leon I walked over 25km with ease - no rush. I walked alone and in winter. I used Margaret Meredith's packing list (look for her blog) and it was perfect.

About your footwear, I wore light waterproof hiking boots with gaiters in winter and would do the same again. The gaiters prevent gravel/snow/grass seed from entering your footwear and keep your socks clean.

As others have said, one gets anxious but once you start walking there is no reason for anxiety. Coming from South Africa my greatest joy on the camino was the feeling of freedom and safety in walking alone and also the sense of achievement - doing the distances and coping alone - absolutely wonderful. I know there have been some incidents since my camino in 2013 but I plan to go back. Be sensible as you would travelling anywhere else. Rest during the day for a few minutes and take off your socks and boots to air in the sunshine, take time to admire the surroundings. On the uphills remember to pause and look behind you. The sense of achievement will inspire you to carry on up.

Funny the little things we take for grant

Zzotte

Yes...lighter IS better. In addition to less weight to carry, there is something very freeing about having less to worry about. And less to pack and unpack constantly.

Of course there are endless threads about shoes/boots and the bottom line is that it is basically personal preference. But here too, consider lighter weight. It sounds like you have a few choices and heavy hiking boots really aren't necessary. It's mostly easy path and road walking.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I think 'first time' Pilgrims always feel anxious. I know I did! And I started out not having walked in 6 weeks due to training injuries :( The first time I actually carried the pack I was taking on the Camino, was on the way to the Airport .... I was 58, injured and 10 kg overweight. If I can do it, you can :oops:

For a start, the sheer 'reality' of finally being on your Camino is a huge motivational boost. After all your planning time you are finally there, and nothing is really going to stop you... It's like training for the 'big game' and suddenly you're out on the field with the rest of the team!

Lose some weight! In your pack ;) Maybe 2-3 pounds of that stuff that you 'might' need or could easily do without. (you don't 'need' 17 lbs) Your feet will feel every pound of additional weight.

Start Slow. Take it easy the first couple of days, ease into it. Maybe walk shorter distances on those early days. You can speed up later....

And it's not a race! OK, many people have time constraints and feel they 'must' walk a certain distance each day. But if you can loosen those constraints a bit you will feel better for it. Listen to your body. You'll be acutely aware of how it's holding up. And stop to fix anything that doesn't feel right, before it gets worse.

Although I was one of the slowest walkers I met, if that makes sense, I still mostly kept up with my Camino families. Sure I walked slower, but I just walked more hours. Taking lots of breaks along the way. Boots and socks off, elevating my feet and so on. Lots of stretching. I just drifted in an hour or two later than the others :)

And lastly, IMHO, the Camino is not so much a physical challenge so much as an emotional one. You can 'deal' with the physical stuff. Sure it can be hard, but you can 'deal' with it as required. But the emotional roller coaster? That can knock you flat very easily. Just remember why you are there. All the planning that got you there. All the awesome people you are meeting and are still to meet. The wonderful places you are passing through.

At times when the emotional challenge was tough, I often paused in a local Church. Or even by a roadside cross. Just to reflect on why I was here and what I hoped to learn from my journey. And to give thanks for making this journey possible. You don't need to be religious. It's not about the church or the cross per se, but making a connection.........and seeking moral support. Which always seemed to come in one way or another....... I had some very 'down' days. And my spirits were always lifted.........just when I needed it most.

There are some 'Camino Moments' on my Blog. I didn't share these at first as they are deeply personal, but what the heck. It's all part of the journey.

Just keep going, one foot in front of the other, speed and distance don't matter. You'll get there ;)

P.S. I was at a local clinic today getting Ultrasound Guided Cortisone injections in my Achilles Tendons. (My training injury from last year). We're off on Pilgrimage again in 4 weeks! Yippee :D
Thank you soooo much. This was just what I needed to hear!! I am a believer, and sometimes I forget that my best fans and suppport team are just a prayer away. Ok, I feel better now! You were the answer to my prayer. I wish I could meet your wife and yourself, but my Camino doesn't start until May 10th

I loved your little Dr Seuss quote. I am going to copy it into my phone, to read over and over

Drop 7 lbs of this pack and you will think you have been training for the last 3 years hahaha :)

Zzotte
I am going to sit down with my pack and a food scale and weigh everything and make some cuts. I have already done this, but I will do it again.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
As others have stated, train, but don’t over train, as your body and conditioning will adjust accordingly, with each day. Stop and start where you like, with breaks throughout the day. I would often see a beautiful vista, and sit for a bit and reflect on the beauty of it all and the joy of just being on the Camino itself. As for the weight of your pack; review your gear, adjust as necessary, and if satisfied that’s what you require, then accept that; don’t stress too much, as you’ll sort out what’s necessary within a week.

We are much stronger then we think, but a new adventure tends to make us anxious of the unknown. The excitement will get you through the first few days, then you’ll find your own grove.

In 2017, I’ll be taking a number of wounded soldiers on the Camino, and I am unsure of their physical conditioning as yet. And conditioning and training is always a worry; especially for first time pilgrims. I was asked this question so many times, I had to find a means to alleviate others concerns. So when I walked in Sept/Oct of 2015 I thought I would test myself and hopefully show others that even with limited conditioning, it is achievable.

I’m coming up on 60 and normally do a light workout for 30-mins 5 times a week. Three months prior to my Camino, I stopped working out completely. Two weeks before my departure I bought a brand new pair of Keen Alamosa Mid WP (Why – because they were on sale and fit great. That was the only reason). The next morning, I walked 5 km with my new boots and backpack (17lbs, 7.7kg), just to test everything out. I came home and tossed everything in the closet. The next time I donned all my gear, was in SJPdP on day one of my Camino.

The only problem I had going over the mountain was that I couldn’t open my mouth wide enough to get enough air in! (poor attempt at a joke) Small steady steps, with a few breaks and all was fine. Day two into Roncesvalles, was similar, but I enjoyed going downhill for a change. Everyday after that I was fine and grew stronger.

Enjoy the journey and the opportunity and you’ll be fine.

All the best!

Dave

Last edited by a moderator:
A 17 pound backpack sounds too heavy. I'm sure there is probably 5 pounds of stuff in there you can dump.
Leather boots sound too heavy. I'm a trail running shoe convert.

This thread was good for me too.
My ankle has been diagnosed with tendinitis neuritis secondary to mechanical issues left over from the ankle fracture.

And after self contemplation I realized I had gone from casual 4 mile hikes into 3 12 mile hikes a week Because I COULD. My ankle said no.
So the fear of "can my ankle ( me) do it?" how much training have I lost? etc

I have run into people who have done the Camino with multiple surgery scars on their knees. Or shortly after recovery from a patellar fracture. Or as one poster said, WITH a navicular fracture. So yes mind over matter
And I am trying to let go of expectations that my "success" is a 500 mile Camino. I am being open to all the possible permutations you have discussed when issues pop up whether it be alternate routes, shorter ones, leap frog
Thank you guys for providing an alternate voice to the committee in my head
Nanc

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Joodle you might want to lighten your overall pack weight. Review the packing list threads. Some will submit their list for members to review and comment. Also @cclearly writes a great blog with good packing tips. It's very easy to overthink everything. We all do it. But a reminder of the many 70+-something pilgrims out there. I celebrated my 80th in Santiago, 37 days after leaving StJPdP, and most of the way with a case of acute bronchitis, but I still felt fantastic walking. Yes you will tire, but so does everyone else tire. Not everyone is in the same shape, and many not as good as you seem to be. The first few days should be taken very slowly as has been said many times. I would build up your pack weight as you train. You will be so exhilarated by the experience of the Camino.That alone begets energy of its own. You will do just fine.

@Nanc, I suffer from bad knees and Plantar fasciitis. Knee braces were (are) essential for my Camino walks. The Plantar fasciitis is a different beast, as it would keep me awake and most every morning I was not even able to place my feet on the floor. I once met a Dutch girl whose feet were literally covered in blisters, yet she trooped on and was a wonderful and inspirational person. I would watch her walk and it would push me on; sometimes I would think – so many blisters, thank god I only have plantar fasciitis :D

But I can say without hesitation, once on the Camino each morning, I was always smiling and glad to be there.

PS. The wine at the end of day also helped!

Joodle, a place to start is your pack some of then weigh at almost 4 lbs the other is the sleeping bag can also be heavy, aim for multi use items rather one item one use, another is you don't need galizian things if you need something you can find anything in the camino I'm doing my camino early April and my pack load its now under 9 lbs it does not mean its for you, what ever you do don't sacrifice your safety for weight ok :)

zzotte

Joodle:

Of course you are going to get tired sooner carrying an extra 17 lbs. After you have done this several times you will have a better idea of your durability.

There is always the question, are you carrying too much weight? Most of us bring to much stuff. Another review of your packing list might provide insight as to things you do not need.

Take breaks, I stop about every 10 k or 6 miles for coffee or a snack. Rest breaks help. This walk is a marathon a day for at least a month. Take your time. Let your body adjust to doing something it is unaccustomed to doing. It will adjust.

I would not apply the same mindset of a Triathlon. Where the goal is to finish in the fastest time. Being first or the fastest here can lead to blisters, tendinitis, etc.

Ultreya,
Joe

Last edited:
When on practice walks, I have problems when I start thinking too much about walking. I need to get into the “zone”. When I’m not, my mind tries to limit me, telling me that my feet hurt, it’s too hot to be walking, or the nagging “you know you’re going to have to walk back that distance you already covered”. I don’t like walking without a purpose. When I can, I like to walk to a one way destination and arrange for return transportation. This tricks my mind into being more supportive. For me, this is the perk of walking the Camino – daily one way destinations – and I think you will find it easier than trying to walk the same distances at home.

As a fair skinned woman living in El Chapolandia (Culiacan, Mexico), I don’t have many choices of where to walk. I have developed a “safe” 6km circuit, which can get pretty boring, walking day in and day out. To relieve the monotony, I have uploaded an upbeat Camino playlist to my smart phone which I play on the loud speaker. It helps me to zone out. I also find that if I try to focus on other things, such as making a grocery list, it keeps me from focusing on the walking.

There is a downfall (literally), however, to getting in the zone. I stop paying attention to where I put my feet and have stumbled over small divots in the road. I now walk exclusively with poles. They have saved me on multiple occasions, plus have the added benefit of isometric exercise for my arms!

As for the boots vs sandals issue, I walked almost the entire Camino last May/June in hiking sandals after a blister on my little toe resulted in tearing off the entire toenail on the morning of the 3rd day. I bought a pair of North Face sandals en route, glued my Superfeet into them and was able to continue walking. Since returning home, I bought a pair of Chacos and think they would be ideal for the Frances because they have a sturdier sole than my North Face and have a nice, high arch. If I were you, I would just bring the sandals and bail on the boots.

As far as pack weight goes, I don't think 17 lbs is outrageous. My pack was around 8 kg (17.6 lbs) and I did fine. I don't think I am in the physical shape you are in so you should be fine. Sure, it'd be great if it were lighter, but it sounds like you've already tried to reduce the weight as best you can.

Last edited:
I will be walking at least every other day with my loaded pack. I will try for 8 miles tomorrow. I just don't want to overdo and wreck something that keeps me from going.
Just keep up the training, alternating distance one day for terrain the next (if you have it). I train by walking 15-20km on rolling terrain (variety of surfaces) and by hiking up our local bald mountain that simulates the hike up Colina de Mostelare west of Castorjeriz (dusty rocky dirt path with no trees/shade). I also walk to the next town to have ice tea and a bad pastry at SB and home again - 18km round trip.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Hi Robo, what a big help youre reply is, also to me. I am new at all of this, and startingy camino on the 24 th of May. Also getting nervous. But reading youre reply and feeling confident again. Thank you

You've had a huge response to your post. Your anxiety must ring a bell with lots of pilgrims old and new.

I come into the 'old' category in two respects - age (now 62) and experience (about to commence fourth Camino). If I can do it, I suggest anyone who doesn't suffer ill health also can do it. I had never walked for pleasure before my daughter invited me to join her on the Camino Frances. I went from zero to 33 kms over a period of a couple of months and started my first Camino really strong. I guess I didn't really think beyond the next day, but I know I never doubted I would complete the Camino from SJPP to Muxia and Finisterre.

When I feel really tired I plug in to my music and this gives me a huge boost. Many purists would consider that bad form, but I couldn't care less what others think, it doesn't hurt anyone else and it helps me.

I always seem to have have a 'low spot' where I lack energy after walking for 4-5 hours and I need a pit stop to rest and maybe eat. You will come to recognise your pattern of energy levels and will learn coping mechanisms.

And remember, when you feel that you can't possibly walk another step, you will have at least another 5 kms in the tank. You are strong - have faith in yourself.
Buen Camino!

Last edited:
Hi Joodle,
In my experience, no matter how long a day or how disruptive a night, I always had all the energy I needed to carry on. It is a Camino thing, it just keeps providing what we need. Just let the days and nights come as they will. Let all the other various experiences come as they will also. Just know that you are in the right place at the right time doing the right thing for you. Don't sweat the small stuff and enjoy the fact that you are about your life's business. Consequently all will be well. Buen Camino.
Aidan

Joodle:

Of course you are going to get tired sooner carrying an extra 17 lbs. After you have done this several times you will have a better idea of your durability.

There is always the question of you are carrying too much weight. Most of us bring to much stuff. Another review of your packing list might provide insight as to things you do not need.

Take breaks, I stop about every 10 k or 6 miles for coffee or a snack. Rest breaks helps. This walk is a marathon a day for at least a month. Take your time. Let your body adjust to doing something it is unaccustomed to doing. It will adjust.

I would not apply the same mindset of a Triathlon. Where the goal is to finish in the fastest time. Being first or the fastest here can lead to blisters, tendinitis, etc.

Ultreya,
Joe
Don't worry Joe, I'll be in this in the role of the turtle, not the Hare. I want to enjoy the people and surroundings. I'm not in the mindset or the shape I was in when doing the Triathlons. I'll definitely be in squid mode (that was a term I came up with when I was exhausted swimming and I would turn over on my back and swim squid-like) I now apply that term to anything I'm doing when I need to slow down but not stop. I will be in squid mode the whole way:p

I find walking at home bores me, so my kind will start bettling with me much soner than it does on the Camino. And even on the Camino it's an ongoing dialogue: "stop here, you are tired, you can't walk any further, oh yes you can, you have only walked 5km today, but ..." It's just non stop. In the end I set myself small goals: to the next village, road crossing, albergue what have you. Then I rest for a minute or two, or longer, and then pick myself up,and walk on,

Spot on ! :)

I was only ever walking to the next coffee, next lunch, next 'boots off - feet up' break....

Spot on ! :)

I was only ever walking to the next coffee, next lunch, next 'boots off - feet up' break....
I like your lofty goals. That sounds about right for me!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Don't beat yourself up mentally before you even hit the ground. Everything physical is mind over matter, if you don't mind, it doesn't matter...cliché I know.
Fact: the human body is tougher than we all think.
Fact: your body will adjust if you allow it to. Don't over due it the first week, but don't slack off either.
The Camino is not the Pacific Crest Trail. Keep working out and stop doubting yourself.
I've spent 23 years in the military, I know a little bit about being physical & what I know, I'm sure, is no where near its ultimate potential.
Enjoy your walks better rather than seeing it as a workout.

Being tired wont be an issue after a while, all you need to do is make sure your feet and joints are happy and you will be fine.

It may sound silly, but I was sustained by the thought that the Camino is completely optional! I could quit anytime I wanted. Once you accept that you are there voluntarily, you no long feel driven and can have fun. Yes, at the end of the day you are worn out, but the next morning you can quit if you don't feel like going on. I always wanted to go on!!

Not silly at all! Well I would say that as it is EXACTLY what I tell myself and yes, I always choose to go on :)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
And don't forget to have fun.

One warmish day a fellow pilgrim and I sat down next to a stream, took our shoes off, and sat for a while with our feet in the water. It was wonderful. Several groups of people walked by and they all smiled and commented how refreshing it looked. One even said, "gee I wish I could do that." But not one stopped to join in. ???

Why not smell the roses or dip your toes in the water along the way...

Or have a cup of tea!

Every day brings new experiences on the camino; each morning you never can be truly certain of what might occur as time passes, with whom you will be and where you might stop. All is just the 'luck of the draw', ie happenstance. October 2013 bouncing along alone towards Najera through acres of recently harvested Rioja vineyards in the cold early morning air (0 Celsius!) under an ice blue sky all was glorious; the type of morning you dream about for walking.

I had planned to stop at my favorite 'hidden' hilltop nook on that Ventosa-Najera stretch to sit and rest in the sun while eating a biscuit or two. When I arrived two guys were already seated in 'my nook' their backs to the path; nary a pack was visible. Were they 'woodsmen' (anxiously I recalled dystopian movie scenes) or pilgrims? Slowly I walked a few meters further; they saw me as I with RELIEF spoted their pilgrim shells and we three shouted 'Hola!' simultaneously.

Charming and most gracious they offered me delicious HOT tea brewed on a primus stove; we chatted while sipping tea and enjoying the biscuits. From Germany and Holland these two guys had met while walking; now they were sharing the way. After Santiago they planned to walk south to Cadiz and cross to North Africa for the winter. After our teatime was finished we shook hands and continued on our mutual ways.

[/

Thanks everyone. I am feeling much better about things. I just got back from another 6 mile hike with my pack. A little easier this time. I have already decided to take out my Melatonin and Benedryl stash that I was going to bring. I think I will be sooo tired, I won't have problems falling asleep. I'm already cutting stuff after only walking 3 days with my pack. I'm learning, thanks to all of you. Muchas Gracias

as someone above wrote : "Kidding aside, I find it much easier to be motivated on the Camino as you have new scenery every day, those interesting towns up ahead, and most of all lots of fellow pilgrims to encourage you."

SOOOOO true :)
I'm leaving for my 2nd Camino in 10 weeks and will start walking with my pack this week. So you stilll have 6 weeks...plenty time to get used to your pack. Do it though ! Buen Camino.

When on practice walks, I have problems when I start thinking too much about walking. I need to get into the “zone”. When I’m not, my mind tries to limit me, telling me that my feet hurt, it’s too hot to be walking, or the nagging “you know you’re going to have to walk back that distance you already covered”. I don’t like walking without a purpose. When I can, I like to walk to a one way destination and arrange for return transportation. This tricks my mind into being more supportive. For me, this is the perk of walking the Camino – daily one way destinations – and I think you will find it easier than trying to walk the same distances at home.
again...I agree 200%. For me walking long distances on the Camino is somehow easier then a 10 mile walk at home. WAY less boring and indeed the purpose of the whole thing.....and I prefer "one way walks" too.

When I feel really tired I plug in to my music and this gives me a huge boost. Many purists would consider that bad form, but I couldn't care less what others think, it doesn't hurt anyone else and it helps me.

That definitely works for us too!! It's amazing what a difference it makes when you are tired and your legs are aching.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
In addition to tossing things out, you can substitute one item for a lighter version.

For example, we replaced cotton jeans with light weight, fast drying pants. Saved a lot of weight and a lot of space.

Our packs were 12 and 9 pounds, and we lacked nothing.

Joodle :))) you are going to be just fantastic - you'll overdo it, and you'll pull back to recover. You'll leave a few things from your pack to the area in an albergue where you can contribute to a pilgrim who might have a use for but you no longer need/want to carry...and you might pick up a pair of sandals from a shop in a plaza somewhere that you know what will make you feel good in the evening after walking all day.
my first few days I felt self conscious emotionally, and self conscious as in never-did-anything-like-this....sounds like you have some experience pushing yourself physically which means that you've had experience coaching yourself through challenges.
You're going to love it. Even when it's hard. It all works out; in a really good way.
Buen Camino!
ps- I revisited your original post; when you feel like you maybe can't keep going, the camino nearly always has an answer for it....another pilgrim to share a coffee and a chat with, the curious call of the cuckoo following you along, the presence of Spirit holding your heart, laughter at your consternation after you get sorted out .... it's all there for you.

Last edited:
Joodle :))) you are going to be just fantastic - you'll overdo it, and you'll pull back to recover. You'll leave a few things from your pack to the area in an albergue where you can contribute to a pilgrim who might have a use for but you no longer need/want to carry...and you might pick up a pair of sandals from a shop in a plaza somewhere that you know what will make you feel good in the evening after walking all day.
my first few days I felt self conscious emotionally, and self conscious as in never-did-anything-like-this....sounds like you have some experience pushing yourself physically which means that you've had experience coaching yourself through challenges.
You're going to love it. Even when it's hard. It all works out; in a really good way.
Buen Camino!
ps- I revisited your original post; when you feel like you maybe can't keep going, the camino nearly always has an answer for it....another pilgrim to share a coffee and a chat with, the curious call of the cuckoo following you along, the presence of Spirit holding your heart, laughter at your consternation after you get sorted out .... it's all there for you.
Thank you so much for your comments. It meant a lot to me. I use to be pretty tough, but losing my identical twin knocked the stuffing out of me. I had to be strong for her, she needed me. Now I need to regain my equilibrium and find out who I am on my own without her. I am counting on the Camino to help me do this.

First Camino was just after my divorce and if I was feeling low I held long, deep conversations with my two teenager daughters (who were back in England) as I trudged along. When I mentioned this to the older one quite recently she asked
"and did we talk back?"
"Oh yes"
Horrified looks

Second Camino it was torrential rain over the Pyrenees and I kept thinking "this is rediculous, I've done this, I don't need to do this again. I'll walk up to that grassed area, have a piece of chocolate, turn around and go home" Still had the unopened bar of chocolate at Zubiri :)

Or there's my friend Therese's method - Zen walking. You are NOT walking to SdC, you are not even walking to the end of your current etape . . . there's just THIS step, and THIS step, and THIS step and you suddenly realise you've arrive.

Buen Camino!

Most read last week in this forum

Zubiri was full early yesterday (by 2:30, according to some pilgrims who came to Pamplona today), but Zubiri opened up a municipal building just past the town for some pilgrims to sleep on the...
My friend is trying to figure out bookings/lodging. She started in SJPDP Friday, ended up walking the Winter route to Roncesvalles in one day, only to find no bed so bused back to SJPDP to sleep...
A message has just been posted on the Facebook account of the albergue in Roncesvalles. It seems the combination of pilgrim numbers beyond their capacity and poor weather has made this a difficult...
Hello everyone, This is a cry for help. I post this on behalf of my wife, who is walking the camino at the moment. Her backpack was taken away from the reception of the albergue Benedictina's...
I’m on the Camino Frances since April 4. I just finished the Meseta and it feels unpleasantly busy and has since the beginning. No time time to smell the roses or draw much. There is a sense from...
The group running the albergue in the ruins of the San Anton monastery near Castrojeriz have announced that the albergue and the ruins will be closed from 1 May until the ruins have been made...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back