• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

New Camino Movie -The Way My Way - World Premiere

Robo

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 15,16,18
VdlP 23, Invierno 23, Fisterra 23
One way or another, you need to see this movie!
We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with:

Writer / Director / Producer - Bill Bennett
Producer / Actress - Jennifer Cluff, and
Rising Star and Camino 'Legend' Johnnie Walker Santiago.

The best Camino movie yet? I think so.

20240416_202500.jpg

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Enjoyed watching the trailer on the link. I have not seen this advertised in the USA yet. If someone hears about if or when it is here, then please share. I would see this movie for no other reasons than it is about the Camino and Johnnie Walker is expanding his repertoire of his accomplishments.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
As I understand it, this movie is being released for Australia/NZ, but not here in the US/Canada. Any word on when can it be seen over this side of the world?

As I understand it, this movie is being released for Australia/NZ, but not here in the US/Canada. Any word on when can it be seen over this side of the world?
Not yet. As far as I know the only confirmed general distribution so far is for Australia. The film is to be shown at a film festival in Croatia soon and there are crossed fingers for European distribution as a result of that. Crossing the pond may be some way down the line.

What makes this one stand out from the others? On the whole I am not a great fan of Camino movies or videos. Why would I want to see this one in particular?

OK, without creating a spoiler.
It gives a really authentic insight into what walking a Camino is really about and can be.

Some interesting facts:
  1. There are only 4 professional actors in the movie.
  2. The rest are Pilgrims.
  3. Pilgrims that Bill Bennett met on his first Camno in 2013. Yes, they wanted to come back and join him in the movie!
  4. It's filmed in a very relaxed and unobtrusive way, given that most of the cast are not professional actors.
  5. Much of the dialogue was not actually scripted. As a result, as Pilgrims share their stories they are very real and 'raw'. Just like the conversations we have on Camino.

General thoughts / impressions?

The movie is based on Bill Bennett's book about his first (of 5) Caminos in 2013.
He openly admits that he was an arrogrant 'dxxKhead' prior to this first Camino.
And we witness in a very subtle way, his transformation during his Camino.

There are scenes, generally unscripted parts, that had my eyes watering.
As his fellow Pilgrims and he, shared and became vulnerable as we who have walked Caminos know only too well happens as we get closer to our fellow Pilgrims.

I talked to Bill the Director/Writer after the screening tonight.
And he asked me.........."what did I like the most"?

I felt I was there with them.
I felt the authenticity of the relationships between the Pilgrims.
I could see the transformation taking place, slowly, in Bill the main character.
And without that 'Hollywood' angle of trying to keep us on the edge of our seats, I felt drawn into the story and how it was going to unfold, right to the end.

He then asked, "was there beauty in it"?
Yes........whilst the landscapes, the locals, the food were all beautiful...........the beauty was in the Pilgrim relationships that developed.

A lovely line in a conversation as one Pilgrim in despair bares all to another.
"This is the Camino, miracles happen here".................

Just some first thoughts............

After a 2 hour drive back home......... :)

I'll go see it again, to make sure I catch all the nuances of the story.

Last edited:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Enjoyed watching the trailer on the link. I have not seen this advertised in the USA yet. If someone hears about if or when it is here, then please share. I would see this movie for no other reasons than it is about the Camino and Johnnie Walker is expanding his repertoire of his accomplishments.

Yes it seems like an Australian release initially, as Bill lives here. But I'll find out more about its broader release.

Thanks @Robo . I'm pretty cynical about Camino movies and always a tad suspicious even though my friend Johnnie Walker is actively promoting this one. He seems to be having a whale of a time in Oz anyway! I hope the film makes its way to somewhere near me eventually. Though I'm not quite convinced enough yet to book a flight to Croatia right away... :cool:

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Thanks @Robo . I'm pretty cynical about Camino movies and always a tad suspicious even though my friend Johnnie Walker is actively promoting this one. He seems to be having a whale of a time in Oz anyway! I hope the film makes its way to somewhere near me eventually. Though I'm not quite convinced enough yet to book a flight to Croatia right away... :cool:

LOL. I'll find out more about screenings in other countries.
I have a source ;)

Yes it seems like an Australian release initially, as Bill lives here. But I'll find out more about its broader release.
The Camino is already so busy. I worry a bit with the new movie, it will inspire thousands more, to flock to the Frances ! We need more beds on the Frances.

The Camino is already so busy. I worry a bit with the new movie, it will inspire thousands more, to flock to the Frances ! We need more beds on the Frances.

Camino Frances. Maybe?
But there are plenty of other routes.
Should we deny others the joy and opportunity? ;)

Just reflecting on my Camino last year.

Sevilla to Astorga VdlP - wonderful, solitude. reflection.
Astorga to Ponferrada - Frances - crazy busy, energising, uplifting, amazing
Ponferrada to Santiago - Invierno - Solitude, peace. landscapes, nature
Santiago to Fisterra & Muxia - Quite busy, fun, joyous.

There are so many routes that offer so many different experiences.

Some routes are perfect for first time Pilgrims.
Others might be better for more experienced Pilgrims?

How many routes are there?

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Numbers on the Camino Frances are now fifty times more than they were when I walked it for the first time. At what point in the past should that growth have been halted? And how would you have managed that? Realistically I think that most of those who will want to walk a Camino will have already heard of it by now. My impression so far is that this new film will mainly be preaching to the choir. Of course I may be wrong and it may become a global phenomenon. My predictions about growth on the Caminos have been consistently proved wrong in the past! :cool: If so then I will continue to walk on other routes and in quiet seasons to leave more room for the newcomers.

Last edited:
A little more news. The film is to be shown at the Marché du Film in Cannes in May where it may be seen by possible distributors.

It gives a really authentic insight into what walking a Camino is really about and can be.

Some interesting facts:
  3. Pilgrims that Bill Bennett met on his first Camno in 2013. Yes, they wanted to come back and join him in the movie!
  4. It's filmed in a very relaxed and unobtrusive way, given that most of the cast are not professional actors.
  5. Much of the dialogue was not actually scripted. As a result, as Pilgrims share their stories they are very real and 'raw'. Just like the conversations we have on Camino.

The movie is based on Bill Bennett's book about his first (of 5) Caminos in 2013.
He openly admits that he was an arrogrant 'dxxKhead' prior to this first Camino.

As his fellow Pilgrims and he, shared and became vulnerable as we who have walked Caminos know only too well happens as we get closer to our fellow Pilgrims.

I could see the transformation taking place, slowly, in Bill the main character.
And without that 'Hollywood' angle of trying to keep us on the edge of our seats, I felt drawn into the story and how it was going to unfold, right to the end.

Yes........whilst the landscapes, the locals, the food were all beautiful...........the beauty was in the Pilgrim relationships that developed.

Oh that’s a lovely description! I’ve got tickets to see a premier in Australia before I walk my first Camino. Very excited!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Some interesting facts:

What is it that makes you suspicious of Camino movies?

What is it that makes you suspicious of Camino movies?
Because so many Camino-related videos I have seen seem to have nothing original or profound to say about walking the Caminos. Instead they are all too often the equivalent of a dog peeing on a lamppost - simply someone announcing to the world "I was here!".

Because so many Camino-related videos I have seen seem to have nothing original or profound to say about walking the Caminos. Instead they are all too often the equivalent of a dog peeing on a lamppost - simply someone announcing to the world "I was here!".
Interesting opinion.

Dogs do love the smells from other dogs, even though they've sniffed lamposts a 1000 times before.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
And we need more toilets!!!

I was extremely disappointed in the book. He acted like a jerk in the beginning of the book. He acted like a jerk in the middle of the book. He acted like a jerk in the end of the book.
I’ll go see the movie since it is about the Camino. But someone else will have to pay for my ticket.

Guides that will let you complete the journey your way.
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
My personal observations about how Camino movies impact the numbers:
I first learned of the Camino when my cousin walked the CF in 2015 at age 65. He introduced me to The Way. I bought a copy and shared it with numerous friends. Several fell asleep or excused themselves and went home. A few liked the movie. One planned to walk with me but health reasons prevented that. None, as far as I've heard, have plans to walk.
I walked in 2022 at age 72 and I'm thinking of doing another.
All to say, imho, that there must be a personal call and that not all who see Camino movies or read Camino books will show up to walk.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I first learned of the Camino when my cousin walked the CF in 2015 at age 65. He introduced me to The Way. I bought a copy and shared it with numerous friends. Several fell asleep or excused themselves and went home. A few liked the movie. One planned to walk with me but health reasons prevented that. None, as far as I've heard, have plans to walk.
All to say, imho, that there must be a personal call and that not all who see Camino movies or read Camino books will show up to walk.
I agree with this. I believe the numbers have increased in recent years because of Covid restrictions, and many people have re-evaluated their lives and are looking for more than they have had pre-Covid.

I saw the film in 2012, and didn't walk my first Camino until 2022. 2-3 three years of Covid was what pushed me to finally walk.

Myself and two friends saw the the film premiere at the opening night of the Gold Coast (Australia) Film Festival this week. We really enjoyed the movie but did wonder whether those not familiar with Camino ‘ways’ would have understood some references. I personally found Bill weighing every item in his backpack very funny as I am currently going through this process for my Camino next week 😆 We had a lovely chat with Johnny Walker Santiago after the film and hope to have a drink with him in Santiago when we finish CP (his suggestion, not ours, but would love for it to eventuate as he seems a lovely man). His part in the film was funny 😄.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
One way or another, you need to see this movie!
We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with:

Writer / Director / Producer - Bill Bennett
Producer / Actress - Jennifer Cluff, and
Rising Star and Camino 'Legend' Johnnie Walker Santiago.

The best Camino movie yet? I think so.

View attachment 167978
I believe you can subscribe to its newsletter which I’ll assume will advise where it’s being released.

Some interesting facts:

I am really looking forward to this film. I loved the book (and I am pretty tired of camino books) - especially what a jerk he is! He conveyed his subtle transformation, without any platitudes or crap. The film trailer, along with the "behind the scenes" clip I saw yesterday, brought tears to my eyes.

Will it be released in Spain? It would be fun to watch while I'm on my next camino,

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I met several Koreans on the CF who mentioned a famous Korean comedian who had written a camino book which became a movie. They credited the film for a huge increase in Koreans on the CF.

Myself and two friends saw the the film premiere at the opening night of the Gold Coast (Australia) Film Festival this week. We really enjoyed the movie but did wonder whether those not familiar with Camino ‘ways’ would have understood some references. I personally found Bill weighing every item in his backpack very funny as I am currently going through this process for my Camino next week 😆 We had a lovely chat with Johnny Walker Santiago after the film and hope to have a drink with him in Santiago when we finish CP (his suggestion, not ours, but would love for it to eventuate as he seems a lovely man). His part in the film was funny 😄.
Wendy, John is a host par excellence. Be prepared!
Can you detect the green envy through this thread? You folks on the other side of the world to where I am have to pay so much to actually walk, why not be the beneficiaries of the first showing of the film! It will come eventually.

€46,-
I met several Koreans on the CF who mentioned a famous Korean comedian who had written a camino book which became a movie. They credited the film for a huge increase in Koreans on the CF.
I had heard about a German comedian. With Korea, I most often hear about a TV show and/or a K-pop group who walked the Camino.

I had heard about a German comedian. With Korea, I most often hear about a TV show and/or a K-pop group who walked the Camino.
Ya, I got mixed up. The Korean actor is not a comedian like the German guy. It might be "Buen Camino" (2019) Several people mentioned it as an influence.

Similar to Japan, there is a 30 day Camino in southern Korea. My daughter and her French (then boyfriend now husband) walked it in 2014 and were treated like royalty in each village— to the point of embarrassment. And delight! A significant percentage of South Koreans are Catholic. Buen Camino

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Wendy, John is a host par excellence. Be prepared!
Can you detect the green envy through this thread? You folks on the other side of the world to where I am have to pay so much to actually walk, why not be the beneficiaries of the first showing of the film! It will come eventually.
Kirkie what a lovely response. We were pretty excited to hear a new Camino movie was being released a week prior to heading off on our next one. We booked our airfares last August so the prices were still quite high but seem to be coming down a bit now, but definitely a lot more expensive than our last Camino in 2018.

€46,-
Update.............
After the Australian release the movie is being shown in Cannes.
The Sales Agents are confident they can then get it into movie theatres in North America and Europe in the second half of the year.

The best sources of updated information at this stage are (according to the man himself), these facebook and instagram pages.

If Australian audiences can show how popular it is through the first 3 days of ticket sales once it's on public release (16-18 May) this is an enormous help! A good first 3 days helps in stay in theatres longer!

So Come On Aussies, Come On! ;)

Last edited:
We are going to the movie tomorrow evening in Perth, Australia. It was a great book

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
It might be "Buen Camino" (2019) Several people mentioned it as an influence.

I know this thread is about the newer Camino movie, but I have been looking for that Korean "Buen Camino" movie for years. All I've been able to find is a trailer on YouTube — it doesn't seem to be available anywhere for purchase or download. Does anyone have any leads?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I attended the film's Adelaide premiere (and Q & A session which followed, with Bill Bennett, Jennifer Cluff, Johnnie Walker Santiago - and AFotC Chair Janet Lietch presiding) last night. The cinema was packed, audience response emotional and enthusiastic. Singing and clapping along to Dan Mullins' "Somewhere Along the Way" as the final credits rolled. Beautiful dedication to John Brierley - tears rolling down as we sang. It is an elegant and profound film, very 'Australian' but perfectly tuned and accessible to an International audience, in my opinion. It opens to general release in Oz on May 16th - I will be seeing it again and encouraging everyone to see it, too.

I attended the film's Adelaide premiere (and Q & A session which followed, with Bill Bennett, Jennifer Cluff, Johnnie Walker Santiago - and AFotC Chair Janet Lietch presiding) last night. The cinema was packed, audience response emotional and enthusiastic. Singing and clapping along to Dan Mullins' "Somewhere Along the Way" as the final credits rolled. Beautiful dedication to John Brierley - tears rolling down as we sang. It is an elegant and profound film, very 'Australian' but perfectly tuned and accessible to an International audience, in my opinion. It opens to general release in Oz on May 16th - I will be seeing it again and encouraging everyone to see it, too.

What a great reaction. Similar at all showings I think.
You might enjoy an interview I did with Bill on Monday.

Thank you, Robo, I liked watching that interview very much, getting further insight into the film and its creator. I was lucky enough to be introduced to Bill and Jen last night (and particularly enjoyed a lively, cheeky chat with Johnnie Walker before the screening). We will be doing all we can to spread the word and encourage local audiences to see the film when it is released next month. (I wonder what the title will be in French? I have a LOT of contacts and fellow pelerins in France.....).

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I have been looking for that Korean "Buen Camino" movie for years.

Looks like it is here. You need to be a subscriber but they offer a seven day free trial.

https://www.ondemandkorea.com/en/player/vod/buen-camino
The description in the link above says:

Jaehan is a level 1 visually impaired person who can only see vague shapes of objects. He sets out on a pilgrimage route spanning hundreds of kilometers to realize his dream of dancing flamenco at the 'Santiago Compostela Cathedral', the final stop of the Santiago pilgrimage route. Dahee is a senior at an unauthorized alternative school and is worried about her uncertain future. Knowing little about the pilgrimage route, he set out on this route with the vague expectation of guiding the visually impaired ‘Jaehan’ on the pilgrimage route. On a beautiful pilgrimage path, will the two be able to let go of the weight of their lives and find comfort? And Jaehan realizes his dream...

BTW, I took a screendump of the post with the trailer, used Google Lens to translate all text to Korean, extrated the part that looked like the film's title ( 산티아고의 현지팡이 ) and plugged that into Google Search.

Screenshot_20240424-070902.png

Last edited:
BTW, I took a screendump of the post with the trailer, used Google Lens to translate all text to Korean, extrated the part that looked like the film's title ( 산티아고의 현지팡이 ) and plugged that into Google Search.

View attachment 168564

Thanks! Now I need to decide whether my curiosity to see the film outweighs my nervousness about sharing my credit card information with yet another streaming website I'll likely never use.

Also, "Santiago's Local Pang" sounds like a great name for a restaurant.

Thanks! Now I need to decide whether my curiosity to see the film outweighs my nervousness about sharing my credit card information with yet another streaming website I'll likely never use.

Also, "Santiago's Local Pang" sounds like a great name for a restaurant.
If you do let me know how you get on as I'd be interested in trying to watch this. I'm guessing it's coming with subtitles?!

€46,-
It can be done!! These two public toilets are on the beach at Fuengirola.

Here's a eight minute review of TheWay, My Way. The reviewer's main point is the bad acting. He notes that it is done by amateurs, some are good and some bad but the unevenness bothers him. He has a few problems with the lead's acting too but wonders if it isn't because of Bennett's directing him to play Bennett. The reviewer also brings up the pros and cons of all the drone shots.

YouTube video id: gg2ErVKhsAU

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Interesting review. I guess there are obviously going to be two camps, those that have done the Camino and those that haven't. I can understand re some of the acting, but perhaps this is more pronounced if you are a film critic watching the movie because of course it is unlikely non-actors are going to be able to be the same as pro-actors. From my point of view it will be interesting to see if that adds or detracts from the movie for me.

Apparently, it did make him want to one day walk the Camino, which I don't think the film is directly aiming to do, but it obviously potrays the Camino in an appealing light.

Ps can anyone explain how I embed the website/page thing in posts like other far more technically minded people seem to be able to do?
I'll do better than that by showing how to do all sorts of fancy things but only after saying that having full URLs printed out can be a good thing. And that is if you print out a post or take a screenshot or do a copy and paste you can see where to go.

This website tells you about BBC, bulletin board code. It is much like the HTML markup language. You want the section titled "Creating links to URLs".
https://www.bbcode.org/how-to-use-bbcode-a-complete-guide.php

Now note how things are linked above twice in two different ways. Sometimes the forum software takes a URL and just prints it out although linked to that URL. That is what happened in your post above. However sometimes the webpage linked to has special markup for software to use to print and link information in a pretty box. That is what happened to the URL I entered. So I entered the URL twice and then posted and then quickly edited my post to change one of the two unfurl='true' statements the forum software created into an unfurl='false' statement to change the box style link into a text link. You don't see the underlying code used but I as the author of the post can when I edit.

Next time be careful what you ask for. ;)

By the way, Ivar created a sand box thread to allow you to play with BBcode and picture formating. Delete your post there once you've learned how to do what you want.

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...
A promotion started here right now. A step-counting sweater from Wolkswagen records how far you walk, and if you walk 613 km (which is the range of the latest model) before 16th June, you can win...
Past,present and future Thanks for sharing your adventures! This forum will be a touchstone someday in the future ..where you had gone and how far, from where and when A Canterbery tales sort of...
Hi! I just want to know if anyone had any success (or trouble conversely on that matter) using your Visa Debit Card with 6-digit PIN when withdrawing Euros in ATMs in France and Spain? Just want...
Seems to be a lot of people posting about stuff they lost on the Camino recently. I managed to leave a nice new-ish polo shirt somewhere drying and didn't notice for over a week. I hope someone...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.