• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

New law affecting dog ownership in Spain

Status
Not open for further replies.

dick bird

Staff member
Time of past OR future Camino
2012, 2015, 2018, 2019, 2022, 2024

So far as I know, this has not been mentioned on the forum.

I was actually researching laws affecting service dogs in Spain when I came across this, it is an English language article (for expats in Spain) about new laws affecting dog owners. There are now laws requiring owners to undergo a training course, inform the authorities that they own a dog and not to let them roam loose.

This is good news for us. my impression is that although there are still occasional nasty incidents involving dogs, there are fewer than they have been and becoming fewer. This might be the reason. It is also nice to know that if there is an incident, the law is on our side.

By the way, service dogs are allowed access to all public areas in Europe.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Did you find another source that says that dogs are not allowed to roam loose? I don't see it in that article.
There were several posts on the topic. I´ll check this out (sure I saw it) and give the link if I find it.

This website mentions not being allowed to leave a dog tied up unattended or left alone even at home for more than 24 hours. This is all second hand. I´ll try to find the original source.

another website
https://blog.abacoadvisers.com/who-let-the-dogs-out-advice-about-dogs-in-spain/#:~:text=All dogs in Spain are,must apply for a license.

has this:

All dogs in Spain are required to be on the lead in public places and if your dog is on the dangerous dogs’ list then it should be muzzled too. These dogs must also be insured and you must apply for a license.

Apparently, if you find a loose dog you can take it to the police. and if it isn´t micro-chipped, they will impound it. Good luck with that.

´Working dogs´ e.g. registered sheep dogs and hunting dogs are exempt.

Like many laws around the world, it may be more honoured in the breach than the observance, but it shows clearly that at the very least, Spanish legislators regard stray and/or dangerous dogs as a problem that needs to be addressed.

The new laws have been flagged as a measure against animal cruelty, but there is almost certainly an intention to improve public safety and probably to crack down on dog-fighting, which sad to say exists in Spain.

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Did you find another source that says that dogs are not allowed to roam loose? I don't see it in that article.
I found the following,
Spanish law requires dogs to be leashed at all times during walks in public areas. This does not apply to fenced dog parks. Consequently, those who do not follow the rules risk a fine. These can be substantial.

Fines can vary by municipality; for example, fines in Pamplona range from €90 to €150. Meanwhile in Cartagena, fines are higher, and can range from €1,700 to €3,000.

Although the law is basically the same for all residents, details may differ in certain parts of the country.

There are also laws within autonomous communities and municipal councils, which create their own regulations. Some municipalities have stipulated by law that dogs can be walked off-leash under certain conditions.

In these cases it is always interesting to doublecheck original sources from the government.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
In these cases it is always interesting to doublecheck original sources from the government.

My post was mainly to inform and reassure pilgrims who might come across dogs, or be nervous about the possibility. If you are bringing your own dog (as some forum members have said they planned to do) this is essential reading. There is an icon to click for English translation. At the very least, your dog needs to be vaccinated, microchipped and have a ´pet passport´. Apparently, you also have to enter Spain through a designated border point.

The new laws have been flagged as a measure against animal cruelty,
Yes unless you are unlucky enough to have been born a hunting dog, so the persecution and mistreatment of these animals will continue (the Glago's for example).

But at least it's a start for domestic dogs, although how they will differentiate between the two, or stop everyone just claiming their dog is a hunting/working dog I'm not sure.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I don't know if the fact that there are laws regarding dogs will have much effect on reality.
I guess that it is a bit like laws about seatbelts and not smoking in public. Sometimes the law precedes societal norms and eventually we look back and wonder why we needed those laws at all.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Good! Dogs are dangerous. The Government stats for England and Wales for 2023 shows 21,914 attacks on people, many of whom were left with life changing injuries, and 14 killed - and this includes children.

In Spain five people have been killed by dogs in the last five years - I couldn't find the stats on the number of attacks.

I like dogs but personally I would sterilise them all and when they die out and are gone? leave it at that.

You can tell a lot about people by the way they treat dogs (or other animals.)

Good! Dogs are dangerous. The Government stats for England and Wales for 2023 shows 21,914 attacks on people, many of whom were left with life changing injuries, and 14 killed - and this includes children.

In Spain five people have been killed by dogs in the last five years - I couldn't find the stats on the number of attacks.

I like dogs but personally I would sterilise them all and when they die out and are gone? leave it at that.
Did you check the same stats for attacks and deaths on humans caused by other humans?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

So far as I know, this has not been mentioned on the forum.

I was actually researching laws affecting service dogs in Spain when I came across this, it is an English language article (for expats in Spain) about new laws affecting dog owners. There are now laws requiring owners to undergo a training course, inform the authorities that they own a dog and not to let them roam loose.

This is good news for us. my impression is that although there are still occasional nasty incidents involving dogs, there are fewer than they have been and becoming fewer. This might be the reason. It is also nice to know that if there is an incident, the law is on our side.

By the way, service dogs are allowed access to all public areas in Europe.
Interesting to read on the heels of the report just made in the Camino Mozarabe forum about a dog attack.

If that is aimed at me - please let us not be rude just because someone has a opinion that you do not like. You wouldn't do it to my face, please don't do it here. Thank you.

I like dogs, dogs universally like me. I have not suggested any harm or unkindness to any dogs, only saying that if they were neutered they would naturally die out over time.

It isn't just the violence .. they can carry and transmit diseases, nationally they eat vast amounts of meat product foods - none of which are certifiable as ethically produced. The largest selling tinned item in Britain is dog food.
The lifetime carbon footprint of a Labrador sized dog is higher than a large petrol SUV.
No one can be eco and animal welfare ethical and own a dog - our planet is in deep crisis, humans are starving, our world is over-heating - so, apart from the attacks, on or off Camino - one cannot be eco, a planet saver, if one owns a dog.

Look, this is just a point of view (held by many) and is a digression from the topic which is about dog regulations in Spain related to the valid fear that many pilgrims hold of being attacked by one.
Unfortunately David the sad reality is that the only species the world would be better without when it comes to climate change is humans.

Your reasoning can apply to many animals, should they all die out. Many more people are killed or wounded in caraccidents. Shall we stop producing cars?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Maybe everyone should calm down. I’m not keen to see the end of dogs, humans or even cars! But it’s an issue! I have had a couple of dog issues today. I have bought some pepper spray tonight form the pharmacy so I feel slightly more secure, but I hope and expect not to use it!

Edited - yep, censored by woke forum members - again.
Just for clarity for readers of this thread, @David has decided to edit his own post further up the thread, to remove some opinions that he shared and which other members disagreed with. This is not what I would call censorship.

The OP provided some information of interest to forum members concerned with dogs in Spain. The discussion has now moved on beyond camino matters, and is becoming contentious. I will exercise my "censorship" powers 🙄 and close the thread.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

Reports of money missing from a few wallets at Rocanvelles this afternoon. Money was taken, but the wallets/purses were not. Police have been called. Stay safe!
Hi everyone, I am a 30 y.o. female travelling solo. Planning to walk Camino Ingles in May, but since it's the least popular route I'm a bit worried in terms of how safe it is. I walked Frances...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.