• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Bears

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
We did meet one pilgrim this winter who injured himself running in the dark on the Primitivo because he thought the rustling in the undergrowth might be a bear. I asked him if it might have been jabalies (wild pigs) instead as that would be more common? He was undeterred from his bear story even though he didn't see what was making the noise...

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Hi All, I just saw on google news that the brown bear is on a major come back. It said the northern part of Spain . Be careful
Oh mate, you’re ‘aving a giraffe right? If there’s anything that prospective pilgrims should strive to avoid it’s Godgle News and most of the rest of the internet. The bears will most certainly be trying to avoid Pilgrims

Oh mate, you’re ‘aving a giraffe right? If there’s anything that prospective pilgrims should strive to avoid it’s Godgle News and most of the rest of the internet. The bears will most certainly be trying to avoid Pilgrims
you think he made a boo boo ?

but in all seriousness, most animals try and avoid people as tinker says. Be sensible in nature, thats about it

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
We did meet one pilgrim this winter who injured himself running in the dark on the Primativo because he thought the rustling in the undergrowth might be a bear. I asked him if it might have been jabalies (wild pigs) instead as that would be more common? He was undeterred from his bear story even though he didn't see what was making the noise...
I met a Pilgrim on the Primitivo, just outside Borres, rigid with fear of one of those glorious black and yellow Salamander sat on the concrete roadway basking in the early morning sunshine. I moved it out of his way and left it in a warm spot off the track.

I still think that the most dangerous thing that you might interact with on Camino is the internet

Where I live, when wild berries are ready to be picked in the autumn, locals in rural areas always report seeing bears in their fields where there are wild berries to pick, and make sure it comes in the local papers... (Edit: To keep the berries for themselves :cool: )

Just saying...

I still think that the most dangerous thing that you might interact with on Camino is the internet
And people...

Last edited:
Where I live, when wild berries are ready to be picked, locals in rural areas always report seeing bears in their fields where there are wild berries to pick, and make sure it comes in the local papers...

Just saying...

And people...
We do have bears where I live, too, (and wolves and mountain lions) but I am not worried about them on the Camino.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
There are some brown bears in the Pyrenees. When we walked the Camino de Piemont des Pyrenees in 2022, at the top of one of the Cols we came across this sign with instructions of what to do if you came across a bear. I was not expecting this and was horrified - as we had quite a way to walk across the top and down the other side. My husband, who is unflappable in any circumstance, assured me that all would be well. Some time later, still up high we (almost) had a brief nature stop, when my husband calmly said to me, let's keep moving ... but quietly. He'd noticed bear droppings near where we had stopped, and thought we'd best move on. I suspect he was less concerned about coming across a bear (he likes that sort of excitement) than about my reaction to the bear. I was very happy when we were off that particular mountain.

Brown Bears in the Pyrenees.jpg

Seems to me that this is the type of thread for our resident bear expert, @davejsy . In other threads he's talked about tracking bears and wolves in the wild, and how rare they still are.
Well I'm certainly no expert, but I do love this stuff and Spains wildlife is amazing!

You can safely assume that on many of the Caminos heading to Santiago you will be crossing in the footsteps of bears and wolves. The bears are Cantabrian Brown Bears if you dare to Google. There are probably only about 300-350 but a better situation than it was (I think they were down to about the last 30-50). Probably more chance of finding the holy grail along the way than being eaten by a bear though.

Two poulations, the The Eastern poulation which is smallest and mostly around the south Picos/Palencia region, and then the larger Western population which is probably most concentrated if you drew a triangle between Leon, Lugo and Oviedo (Somiedo and Cangas del Narcea are the strongholds), but they can wander far outside the main populations.

There is a very slim chance of bears in the Pyrenees, but these aren't Cantabrian bears.

There is a very slim chance of bears in the Pyrenees, but these aren't Cantabrian bears.
No doubt it's a slim chance - I was just recounting what we saw while walking.

This site says the current population is about 40 bears.

Last edited by a moderator:
No doubt it's a slim chance - I was just recounting what we saw while walking.

This site says the current population is about 40 bears.
Sorry @Pelerina I was writing while you were posting - it was just a coincidence and not in response to your post.

But yes the population in the Pyrenees is less concentrated and is now only made up of bears repopulated from Slovenia (or could be Slovakia). It's a tricky situation in the Pyrenees for both bears and wolves as tolerance had disappeared with the last of the native animals at the hands of hunters.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
In fairness to the OP, the article he's referencing includes complaints from a nearby village ( there's a natural park nearby) that reintroduced brown bears ( population now estimated to be over 400) are wandering through the town and around peoples homes. The local Guardia have been equipped with noisemakers and other bear deterrents, but are also asking the villagers to be careful about leaving food outside.

While I do not remember the name of the town, Google Maps showed it to be north of the Frances, south of the Norte, west of Leon, in Castille & Leon. My husband sent me the article.

In fairness to the OP, the article he's referencing includes complaints from a nearby village ( there's a natural park nearby) that reintroduced brown bears ( population now estimated to be over 400) are wandering through the town and around peoples homes. The local Guardia have been equipped with noisemakers and other bear deterrents, but are also asking the villagers to be careful about leaving food outside.

While I do not remember the name of the town, Google Maps showed it to be north of the Frances, south of the Norte, west of Leon, in Castille & Leon. My husband sent me the article.
Quite common here to have bear resistant trash cans and to advise people not to leave out pet food or bird feeders. We believe we were visited by a bear at a nearby campground last summer as something bit holes in our water containers and one had been seen in the area. Only water and nothing else had been in the jugs so it was not considered a "reward" that would create the likelihood of a bear's return. It is an adjustment if you have not in recent times shared your homelands with larger wild animals though. Not everyone loves wildlife...

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

While I do not remember the name of the town, Google Maps showed it to be north of the Frances, south of the Norte, west of Leon, in Castille & Leon. My husband sent me the article
Sounds like Ancares, which is close enough to O Cebreiro that they can smell the pilgrims. They are no doubt licking their chops with eager anticipation of an early Spring feast.

Mind the bears!

I am fairly confident that I saw bear poo near the monastery of San Toribio near Potes. Unfortunately I didn't take a photo, but I did look up "bear poo" on google and the pictures seemed to match what I saw.

There is a camino through Potes and an albergue.

In France between Narbonne and Sjpdp there were a lot of messages chalked on the roads" Non Aux Ours". Apparently they are partial to lamb. So am I.

I am fairly confident that I saw bear poo near the monastery of San Toribio near Potes. Unfortunately I didn't take a photo, but I did look up "bear poo" on google and the pictures seemed to match what I saw.
It quite well could have been as that area does have bears, and also up to San Glorio above Potes and Valdeon valley to the West. It's very wild country once past Potes.

There seem to be quite a few recent articles - this is a good one.

None of these bears have been reintroduced though (that has only happened in the Pyrenees), they have naturally repopulated. The village/town mentioned in the article is Villablino, which is a mining town in the Sil valley which is rich in wildlife and coal/minerals. It's a regular starting point for the areas guided bear watching firms. It's also quite an ugly little place

It's not far from Somiedo which is a beautiful biosphere reserve famous for it's bears and glacial lakes.

@Robo, I imagine the best defense is probably just like the one that you Aussies use against your Drop bears. As I recall, if you are in a known Drop Bear area you smear Vegemite all over your face to avoid an attack. Oh, and speaking English in an Australian accent probably helps to.

Vegemite has to be the best repellent I've ever come across. 😉

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi All, I just saw on google news that the brown bear is on a major come back. It said the northern part of Spain . Be careful
Bears are apparently seen rarely in the Baztan Valley, but they avoid people. We are walking that camino (from Bayonne to Pomplona) in a few months, but unlike when we are hiking in the western U.S., we won't be packing any bear spray!

A bear made it into the international news in 2022 when it was filmed running through the streets of Ponferrada at night. The owner of the Señor Oso albergue in Molinaseca told me that they had very occasionally been seen by the river there. Extremely unlikely that a pilgrim on a main Camino route will ever encounter one though.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Stayed at a chalet at the base of the Somport pass. All around were wooden posts with pictures of the size of bear prints, their claws etc. As I set out alone on a gorgeous, sunny May morning, I thought to myself - well, I guess I will just have to keep my eyes open. As it was mostly meadows with forests on either side, I could certainly see if anything was up ahead. Saw nothing and thoroughly enjoyed the walk. The thing that startled me more than anything as I wandered around the property the evening before, was a rather large snake slowly meandering across the road. I would have stepped on it in another second or two. It did not seem very interested in me, thank goodness and slithered off into the bushes. This is the most wildlife I have seen on any of my Caminos and for the last three, have basically been on my own. Not to worry!

My father spent in the 50's and early 60's a lot of his work days in the vast forests of northeastern Finland and southern Lappland. There were a lot of brown bears in the area that time, but he never saw one. He was pretty sure, though, that a lot of bears saw him 😁.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Look both ways before crossing the road, better chance of harm from an automobile, than a Bear, me thinks, Bears are smarter.

€83,-
@Robo, I imagine the best defense is probably just like the one that you Aussies use against your Drop bears. As I recall, if you are in a known Drop Bear area you smear Vegemite all over your face to avoid an attack. Oh, and speaking English in an Australian accent probably helps to.

Vegemite has to be the best repellent I've ever come across. 😉
Awww, it is one of the few Ozzie exports that I like, along with Shiraz, or some other good Ozzie red, of course. 🦘🍷🍾♥️😎

IMG_20240215_150654471_HDR.jpg

What else would you drink at the beach on a long, hot, lazy afternoon?

Recently I watched on TV that polar bears are in serious risk of extinction because global warming. The solution would be that they could hibernate like brown ones but unfortunately it seems that polar bears can' t hibernate.

Awww, it is one of the few Ozzie exports that I like, along with Shiraz, or some other good Ozzie red, of course. 🦘🍷🍾♥️😎

View attachment 164189

What else would you drink at the beach on a long, hot, lazy afternoon?
Yes, I imagine a good Drop Bear steak (barbequed, of course) would go quite well with a good Shiraz. Great tip!

Although why you would drink a moderately good Australian red when you can drink great New Zealand wine is completely beyond me. I guess I'm biased, I used to live in The Bay surrounded by fantastic vineyards.(Sileni, Church road, Mission Estate, Clearview, Ngatarawa, CJ Pask, Akarangi, Crab Farm..... The list goes on)

Last edited:
Quite common here to have bear resistant trash cans and to advise people not to leave out pet food or bird feeders. We believe we were visited by a bear at a nearby campground last summer as something bit holes in our water containers and one had been seen in the area. Only water and nothing else had been in the jugs so it was not considered a "reward" that would create the likelihood of a bear's return. It is an adjustment if you have not in recent times shared your homelands with larger wild animals though. Not everyone loves wildlife...
Bears are fairly common in the areas where I like to camp and I've had one VERY close encounter with a black bear who oh-so-quietly stole my lunch that was sitting next to me on my rock. They deserve respect.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Recently I watched on TV that polar bears are in serious risk of extinction because global warming. The solution would be that they could hibernate like brown ones but unfortunately it seems that polar bears can' t hibernate.
They would need to hibernate over the artic summer because it is the diminishing ice that is causing the problems.

On a bear and wine related note, there is an excellent Mencia called Cuatro Pasos, obviously from Bierzo and so named because they regularly found bear foot prints in the vineyard.

Aww, I'm really pleased the The Bears are making a comeback .. though they formed in 1988 so must be pretty old now .. then again, the article suggests that there are a lot of new members now but they only play in Spain for some reason.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
They would need to hibernate over the artic summer because it is the diminishing ice that is causing the problems.
I have an extreme bear phobia and wish they would hibernate 365 days per year.😅
After reading this thread I will probably be looking over my shoulder on the Sanabres this spring.🙄...a possible exaggeration, but hey ho.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I have an extreme bear phobia and wish they would hibernate 365 days per year.😅
After reading this thread I will probably be looking over my shoulder on the Sanabres this spring.🙄...a possible exaggeration, but hey ho.
Well, the Sanabres the high wolf density scares most of the bears away;)

Yep, my bear phobia definitely crosses over to wolves, wild boars and big cats...Thanks for the "heads up"...I feel much better now.😬

All big animals for me! I have been bitten and kicked by ponies (the children had them), attacked by a 'normal' cow and thrown onto a barbed wire fence, (about twelve people are killed by cattle in the UK each year) ... anything larger than goats or sheep (I can outfight them) and I get scared .. so, bear??? Oh my, I don't think so!
Funnily enough, not worried about wolves - call me Romulus (or Remus).

At least pregnant polar bears hibernate, and come out in spring with their cubs.
Edit: They dig snow caves/let themselves be covered in snow, and sleep through the winter.

I have eaten polar bear steak: It tastes lot of cod liver: Polar bears eat seals, seals eat fish, fish contains livers...

You will need a lot of good quality Rioja red to get it down, believe me.

Last edited:
OK. So if picking up a rock, seems to deter dogs.
What about Bears?

Just make sure you are walking with a much slower companion? :oops:
In Canada we say. If it’s black you fight back. If it’s brown you lie down. If it’s white, say goodnight. This is based on reality -a bit. - black bears are usually quite timid and will run away at loud noises, yelling, waving arms. Brown bears seem to leave people who play possum alone and polar bears .., well, if you insist on poking around on ice floes.. I am afraid of bears and insist on sleeping in the car when we go on camping trips. ( back seats down and a foam mattress)

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
oh .. it is bears again ... As someone who happens to live at close quarters with European brown bears I must say they behave fairly different from most bears in the USA or Canada. They normally are extremely shy. If you by chance see one brown bear from a distance, there will statistically have probably been hundreds that saw you from close distance without you ever knowing.
Bears roam the woods around our house, we see their traces, we see the bones of their prey, they get as close as 200 meters to our house. But they avoid contact with humans at all costs. So I would not be too concerned about those in Spain either.

Actually, as wild boars were mentioned. They are more dangerous as they are less shy than European brown bears. I ran into two wild boars on short distance on the Primitivo last year.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I usually walk to the sound of my own thoughts, but when I walk in bear country i always have the music playing (a bit louder than I prefer).

Lions and Tigers and Bears! Oh no! I was more concerned about stepping on snails. I did have a small deer cross my path at a distance. That was special.

oh .. it is bears again ... As someone who happens to live at close quarters with European brown bears I must say they behave fairly different from most bears in the USA or Canada. They normally are extremely shy. If you by chance see one brown bear from a distance, there will statistically have probably been hundreds that saw you from close distance without you ever knowing.
Bears roam the woods around our house, we see their traces, we see the bones of their prey, they get as close as 200 meters to our house. But they avoid contact with humans at all costs. So I would not be too concerned about those in Spain either.

Actually, as wild boars were mentioned. They are more dangerous as they are less shy than European brown bears. I ran into two wild boars on short distance on the Primitivo last year.
Exactly so. Problems with brown bears come, if they are wounded or you stumble on them so that they have not seen/heard,/smelled you arrive - especially, if you end up between a mother and its cubs.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Just a funny bear story:
When I was a young woman, a group of friends and I would go camping every spring in California.
One year, my older friend took her grandchild, who packed her Teddy Bear.
When they unpacked, the Teddy was left in the car on the back seat.

In the middle of the night, a bear broke into the car.
In the morning, they found "Teddy" was missing.
They found it several yards up a trail, all slobbered on.
Apparently, the bear thought it was a cub.... or maybe the child left food traces on it.
But we all had a good laugh.

I'm not too afraid of black bears. I remember my grandfather chasing them up a tree almost every year on our camping trips as a child.

Browns are a bit more aggressive. I think if I crossed paths with a brown bear or grizzly, I'd take the advice of experts, lay on the ground in a fetal position with my arms protecting my neck and pray...

I will say in all my years of walking the Camino, I've never seen a bear and I've never heard of anyone seeing a bear. I have seen small vipers - on the Aragones.

The most dangerous animals I've seen are human - almost always Americans.

(...)

Browns are a bit more aggressive. I think if I crossed paths with a brown bear or grizzly, I'd take the advice of experts, lay on the ground in a fetal position with my arms protecting my neck and pray...
(...)
Once in Algonquin I accidentally got as close as 2 meters to a cub (black bear) while mommy was 4 meters away. I would not say I was unconcerned as it was only black bears 🤣 ... Another time a black bear was running straight at me as it was being chased .. so I had to jump out of the way.
But generally you are right ... the brown ones are more dangerous IF they decide to attack. People often underestimate the sheer size when they stand upright (which by the way is not a sign of aggression, but they want to get an overview of the situation).

Brown bears vary in size depending on climate and diet. Up North over here they are quite large ... down South in Spain they are much much smaller and lighter. If that helps reducing Camino fears 😎

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
An article from a UK news website about rangers working to reduce conflicts between local people and bears in Spain.

The bears and wild boars don't concern me. You're chances of being attacked by one is less than your chance of being struck by lightning.
Reckless, rude bicyclists on the Camino path? Now that frightens me. Way more chance of being injured by one.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
The bears and wild boars don't concern me. You're chances of being attacked by one is less than your chance of being struck by lightning.
Reckless, rude bicyclists on the Camino path? Now that frightens me. Way more chance of being injured by one.
Bears - true. Wild boar - wrong. Apparently , there are many attacks each year, and they're supposedly getting worse
I quote an 'Olive Press's article from 2021:

"Wild boars are responsible for many fatalities, hundreds of injuries, and thousands of attacks every year across Spain. "

Other more recent articles in other sources talk about how the problem is growing....

Last edited:
Bears - true. Wild boar - wrong. Apparently , there are many attacks each year, and they're supposedly getting worse
I quote an 'Olive Press's article from 2021:

"Wild boars are responsible for many fatalities, hundreds of injuries, and thousands of attacks every year across Spain. "

Other more recent articles in other sources talk about how the problem is growing....
Having lived in areas known for wild boars/feral hogs etc almost my entire life and having personally sent more than a few from forest to freezer my advice to pilgrims and future pilgrims is no worries on the path. They truly are more afraid of you then you are of them and the ones responsible for attacks on humans are ones that live in close proximity to urban areas. They are quite adaptable.
Again, be more afraid of human occupied or powered four and two wheeled vehicles striking you.

Ok, I have a little trouble believing they (javalies) cause hundreds of fatalities unless it is from car accidents. Certainly be cautious, but I don't think you have to run screaming if you see one. They do cause a lot of damage to crops and could kill or injure a dog in a fight, but they are not like a pack of wild dogs.

€83,-
Agreed, you're much more likely to be injured or killed in a road accident than by an animal, whether due to your own inattention or the inattention of others.

However my point was that you're significantly more likely to be attacked by a wild boar then you are to be struck by lightning, which was your first statement.

Whilst its true that most, if not all of the attacks come from boar that are in close proximity to urban areas, as pilgrims we enter and leave those selfsame urban areas daily.
And as somebody that has shot or stuck many a wild pig, I sure as hell wouldn't want to come across one without at least my knife.

@J Willhaus - Janet, you're probably correct, the deaths are probably caused by car accidents. Even in the USA deaths by Wild boar are extremely rare - and those are generally hunting incidents I believe.
However the attacks in Spain are not, and they are unfortunately apparently on the increase. Probably because more boar are entering the Urban areas in search of food, forced out of their normal habitat by drought.

Edited to add: definitely don't run!! They are far faster than humans, and more aggressive than bears. 95% of times you don't have to do anything because the boar will flee. In the other 5% - back away, try and find higher ground - unlike bears, boar can't climb . Absolutely worst case, fight back, and try and stay upright. Apparently boar attacks are normally very short. In the exceptionally unlikely event you are bitten, seek medical assistance immediately because they can carry quite a lot of disease.

Last edited:
Agreed, you're much more likely to be injured or killed in a road accident than by an animal, whether due to your own inattention or the inattention of others.

However my point was that you're significantly more likely to be attacked by a wild boar then you are to be struck by lightning, which was your first statement.

Whilst its true that most, if not all of the attacks come from boar that are in close proximity to urban areas, as pilgrims we enter and leave those selfsame urban areas daily.
And as somebody that has shot or stuck many a wild pig, I sure as hell wouldn't want to come across one without at least my knife.
I can only recount in my experiences as a first responder I recall two instances of people killed quite dead by lightning strikes and zero people dead or even injured by wild boars/pigs and this was an area with a high population of such.

In another life, I was a young farm wife and have a great deal of respect for what full grown domestic hogs are capable of. They are smart and I have no doubt wild hogs are equally quick thinking and adaptable. I think that bears are rather unlikely on the Camino and javalies are certainly more likely, but I would not be afraid of meeting either. I am more concerned about aggressive dogs as we hear about pilgrims experiencing dog bites almost every year on various routes.

In Europe, what bears and wild boars have in common, is that their populations have increased in numbers and their radius of activity has also increased. This is the focus of the article at the beginning of this thread. Obviously not everywhere in Europe but people here are not used to encountering these animals when they are out walking and they don't know how to behave in the rare cases where these wild animals do not immediately flee.

Where I grew up (not in Spain and quite a bit away but I see that there are similar problems in some Spanish regions) it was a sensation when the first wild boar was sighted near our village when I was a small kid. Now they regularly appear in large numbers, cause considerable damage to crops in fields and gardens, appear in the streets of towns, and despite not being protected, unlike the bears in Spain, France and Italy, they are perceived as a big problem and there are demands in numerous regions to decrease their number through more hunting.

BTW, I have never seen a wild boar during my long walk to Santiago through France and Spain. I had to read up on them just now. The reason must be that they are mainly active during dusk and during the night when I was either in a bar or a restaurant or in my bed.

Forum posters have reported seeing wild boar in Galicia but that was usually during daylight and during a battue (a form of hunting).

Of course I did not see any bears either. The Voie de Tours and the Camino Francés do not go through regions that are known for bear encounters. The first post fails to post this out. 😌

Last edited:
The problem is that there are no natural predators for the boar, and where there are wolves they are often no plentiful enough to make a difference, and of course most people won't tolerate having wolves in their backyard. So the solution is that we kill more animals with guns to supposedly fix the problem we've created (because theres too many of us), which of course will have be done forever if we won't allow natural balance in our environments.

Where I've spent a lot of time over the past 15 years, just south of the Picos de Europa I have seen more wolves than I have wild boar (and I can assure you it is very difficult to see the wolves!), and thats because the boar numbers are kept lower and you would rarely see them out in the open as they are too easy prey for the wolves. This is also where you see the additional benefits that top predators bring because the wolves change the behaviour of the grazing animals which stops open areas from being overgrazed and instead letting regeneration happen. nature is way smarter than humans think they are (ironically we are of course nature ourselves, but we like to think we're separate and can control it).

The Voie de Tours and the Camino Francés do not go through regions that are known for bear encounters. The first post fails to post this out. 😌
I don't know what the Vois de Tours is, but the CF certainly does pass through areas where there are bears, although not in any significant numbers and they'd be unlikely to go near well-trodden paths during the day.

We can probably discuss endlessly the concerns of farmers who make a living from growing crops and raising sheep and other animals and who produce cheese and milk, of other villagers who also grow vegetables in their gardens and have hens or a few other animals, and the concerns of other groups who are either afraid of wild animals like bear, boar and wolf or who want to see more of them living either in their own neighbourhood or perhaps preferably in regions a bit further away where they can occasionally view them in their leisure time. I doubt that we will find a solution for current conflicts of interest. 😇

Not everybody clicks on links so it is perhaps useful to quote the first few lines of one of these recent news articles:

Spain’s brown bears, once nearly extinct, stray into the mountain villages in the north of the country so often these days that the regional government of Castile and Leon has set up a patrol for locals to report animals on the prowl.
The patrol, which has nine rangers, protects residents and their crops in the mining town of Villablino, in the nearby province of Palencia, and other surrounding areas, aiming to keep the endangered Iberian brown bears safe and healthy and allow humans and animals to coexist.

It is this coexistence in what are essentially cultural landscapes in Europe and not the wilderness known in other continents that is part of these current issues.

Last edited:
I saw a small group of javelinas on the Invierno - some adults, some piglets. They were pretty close when we mutually saw each other - and clearly they wanted to be less close, and fast. They hustled off as fast as their little legs could carry them. Understandably given all the pork eaten in Spain.
I was disappointed, TBH.
And wouldn't worry about them being much if a danger, so long as they have an escape route.

20190610_100634 (2).jpg

what the Voie de Tours is

The Voie de Tours is basically the road from Paris to SJPP.

I must say when I compare the 800 km before SJPP with the 800 km after SJPP, the Camino Francés struck me as devoid of noticeable wildlife, unlike in France where I saw partridge, pheasant, hare, and deer in particular, from close by. They all fled of course, even when I tried to be super quiet and move ever so slowly and carefully. Once there was a pair of deer lying in the sun in broad daylight right in the middle of the path between fields, a very treasured memory.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I saw a small group of javelinas on the Invierno - some adults, some piglets
I have met them a few times in Spain. Also in Germany and Japan. All have run away from me apart from my closest encounter: a huge sow on the Grafenwoehr army ranges in Germany who just stared at me from less than 10 metres away for a few moments. Then she slowly walked into the middle of the nearby road and waited until an oncoming truck came to a halt before moving away. Obviously not scared of anything! :)

Most read last week in this forum

Reports of money missing from a few wallets at Rocanvelles this afternoon. Money was taken, but the wallets/purses were not. Police have been called. Stay safe!
Hi everyone, I am a 30 y.o. female travelling solo. Planning to walk Camino Ingles in May, but since it's the least popular route I'm a bit worried in terms of how safe it is. I walked Frances...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.