• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Night Hikes / Star Gazing

montyhiker

Time of past OR future Camino
April/May 2024
Ok, Monty here. Love starting these threads: I learn so much from the Veteran Camino Pilgrims. Thanks in advance. My question: are there so called “Night Hikes” in certain regions to get out and view/explore the awesome stars and constellations on clear nights? I’ve heard about this a few times. Any information would be appreciated. Buen Camino! 20 days and counting.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I'm hoping to walk the 17 km stretch between Carrión de los Condes and Calzadilla de la Cueza under the stars this year. I was hoping for a full or almost full moon, but looking the date that I will probably be on that stretch I'm out of luck in that regard. This is a flat stage with no turns, so I think that it should be perfect for night/early morning walking.

I'm hoping to walk the 17 km stretch between Carrión de los Condes and Calzadilla de la Cueza under the stars this year. I was hoping for a full or almost full moon, but looking the date that I will probably be on that stretch I'm out of luck in that regard. This is a flat stage with no turns, so I think that it should be perfect for night/early morning walking.
What about the Meseta? Is that stretch an option?

Guides that will let you complete the journey your way.
Frankly, I'm tired at night and albergues don't open until 2 pm the next day. I don't want to sleep outside waiting because I've been up all night walking. I live in a dark skies region of the US so I don't need to do that in Spain.

Frankly, I'm tired at night and albergues don't open until 2 pm the next day. I don't want to sleep outside waiting because I've been up all night walking. I live in a dark skies region of the US so I don't need to do that in Spain.
My plan for the Carrión de los Condes to Calazadilla de la Cueza stretch is to check into a private room and go to sleep early. I'll wake up a few hours before daybreak and start walking. I should reach Calzadilla as the sun is coming up, just in time for breakfast. At least that's the plan! 😉

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
That sounds intriguing! I might consider doing something like that, maybe even sleeping under the stars (not sure I’m brave enough), and I understand that camping is illegal in Spain except for designated areas, but man, that would be so cool to be able to say that I walked and slept under the stars at the meseta!

On my first Camino I woke up early to get an early start because it was very hot. As I was leaving Hontanas where I spent the night a group that had started really early from Hornillos came upon me. The sun was just coming up as we reached the Convent ruins at San Anton. The light at that time of the morning on the ruins was amazing.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
My experience on the Meseta last autumn was that I didn’t need to be walking through the night to experience the wonders of that fantastic night sky packed full of stars. Heading out around 0530 gave me that experience. The stretch that lingers the most in my mind was from Arroyo San Bol to Hontanas.

Those of us walking at that time were blessed with weather that gave us clear, cloudless skies day after day from SJPP onwards until we neared Leon.

A pre-dawn start on a clear night should give you plenty of star gazing.
Look at the time of 'sunrise' and try an hour before that.
You should get 30 mins in the dark.
Twilight is generally about 30 mins before sunrise (light enough to see clewarly for walking).

Be aware of course if leaving from a town / large village, the street lights, house lights etc will spoil your night vision. Also throws a lot of light into the sky. So you want to be well clear of those first.

I was walking in Sept 22 for the conjunction of the moon and Jupiter (IIRC) and saw loads of pilgrims who were out especially. As others have said. the meseta will be your best chances

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
A couple of years ago I came to the albergue in Villar de Mazarife and was informed by my fellow pilgrims that they planned to start walking around 4 o'clock to walk in the lunar eclipse. The whole room decided to join in (except one other pilgrim). We tried to be quiet, but we were not... I apologised to the pilgrim we disturbed when I met her on the way...
Of we went. It was powerful. The moon and the skies where lovely. And then the clouds came :-D And we walked in pitch darkness. Still a lovely memory.

We had breakfast in Hospital de Orbigo. I wanted to stay in a special albergue in Villares de Orbigo, and I was well before noon. So, ended up people watching most of the day.

On my first Camino I woke up early to get an early start because it was very hot. As I was leaving Hontanas where I spent the night a group that had started really early from Hornillos came upon me. The sun was just coming up as we reached the Convent ruins at San Anton. The light at that time of the morning on the ruins was amazing.
Hi, were there many allerguies open in Hornillos??? Thanks

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I have done very early departures from albergues many times.
Normally the drive to leave early was the forecast of a scorching day to come or an inability to sleep.
The big issue that I have encountered was finding the arrows on very dark nights.

I made the trek from Ages to Burgos in the dark arriving in Villalval just before dawn. I'm sure I was off trail for a lot of the ascent. I kept the fence to the artillery range off to my left just to ensure I had a landmark if I had to backtrack. (I still haven't seen this stretch of Camino in daylight so I don't know if the fence is known to other pilgrims)
I DO NOT recommend doing this! That stretch was frankly dangerous to do in the dark.

The stretch between Carrión de los Condes and Calazadilla de la Cueza would be great in the dark as the terrain is predictable and flat.

I suppose my recommendation would be to check the terrain profile first before setting out on that night hike. Some stretches just aren't suitable in the dark.

G

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Ok, Monty here. Love starting these threads: I learn so much from the Veteran Camino Pilgrims. Thanks in advance. My question: are there so called “Night Hikes” in certain regions to get out and view/explore the awesome stars and constellations on clear nights? I’ve heard about this a few times. Any information would be appreciated. Buen Camino! 20 days and counting.
Intentionally walked from el Burgo Ranero to Leon during the night to "stargaze"; terrain flat (i.e. on road/asphalt) which allowed for continuous stargazing 🌃 , yes the sky was clear and stars were clearly visible, but nothing to write home about :-(

Several places, mostly on the Meseta, are very suitable: Out of Hornillos, Castrojeriz, Carrion de los Condes, El Burgo Ranero, they all come to mind. But the most awesome star stargazing I have experienced was when I was piloting a sailing yacht from Bermuda to England across the Atlantic: Complete, total darkness; only me, the sea, the stars (millions), and 150 dolphins playing in front of the boat's bow.

Edit: I would think that sitting above Castrojeriz in the night, atop Alto del Mostelares, would be perfect. Bring some food & wine, and continue walking to Boadilla at daybreak.

Last edited:
Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
That sounds intriguing! I might consider doing something like that, maybe even sleeping under the stars (not sure I’m brave enough), and I understand that camping is illegal in Spain except for designated areas, but man, that would be so cool to be able to say that I walked and slept under the stars at the meseta!
In 2017 on the Messeta a younger group of walkers slept on one of the haystacks so they could star gaze. Not sure how their night went as I never ran into them again. But I did meet several folk who walked from 2am on the 12 klm stage to the next town to avoid the heat and star gaze at the same time.

I have heard of various pilgrims who walk at night, either on rare occasions to see the stars, or in one case every night on the VDLP in the summer, to avoid walking in the heat during the day. But I haven't heard of organized walks in certain regions with an educational aspect.

Most read last week in this forum

When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...
A promotion started here right now. A step-counting sweater from Wolkswagen records how far you walk, and if you walk 613 km (which is the range of the latest model) before 16th June, you can win...
Past,present and future Thanks for sharing your adventures! This forum will be a touchstone someday in the future ..where you had gone and how far, from where and when A Canterbery tales sort of...
Hi! I just want to know if anyone had any success (or trouble conversely on that matter) using your Visa Debit Card with 6-digit PIN when withdrawing Euros in ATMs in France and Spain? Just want...
Seems to be a lot of people posting about stuff they lost on the Camino recently. I managed to leave a nice new-ish polo shirt somewhere drying and didn't notice for over a week. I hope someone...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back