• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

On the Camino: One Day at a Time, one Photo at a Time 10.0

Camino Frances
towards Sansol

photo taken October 27, 2012, noon

near Sansol.jpg

On route to Sansol a bit of a rainbow lit the western horizon as the mid-day sky began to clear. However, the air had definitely turned colder; I was glad to have my woolies!

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
31st, July, 2022. Historical Car Rally in Santiago that weekend. They all ended up in the Praza do Obradoiro.
IMG_0805.jpeg
We then flew to Scotland via Dublin that evening to spend a couple of weeks visiting family and sightseeing. Our 2022 Caminos were over, sadly.
We will have a rest from posting photos for a while but will continue to enjoy yours, thank you.
Buen Camino,
Anne and Pat

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
31st, July, 2022. Historical Car Rally in Santiago that weekend. They all ended up in the Praza do Obradoiro.
View attachment 153740
We then flew to Scotland via Dublin that evening to spend a couple of weeks visiting family and sightseeing. Our 2022 Caminos were over, sadly.
We will have a rest from posting photos for a while but will continue to enjoy yours, thank you.
Buen Camino,
Anne and Pat
I just want to thank you for your regular and ordered postings! I used to have photos, but they are languishing - can photos languish? - somewhere on my old laptop which sits hoping I will pay it some attention! I trust your trip to the best wee country in the world ( so says my remaining older brother) put girders under your feet to store up for the next camino, should it happen.
So, thank you, much appreciated.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Camino Frances
Torres del Rio
Santo Sepulcro

photo taken October 9, 2004

Santo Sepulcro 2004.JPG

Some historians link Santo Sepulcro, this small octagonal Romanesque church, to the Knights Templar who protected the Holy Sepulcher in Jerusalem; others link it to the nearby monastery at Irache. Whatever, it is a small gem.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Palas de Rei May 2023. This isn’t my photo but taken by a well known Instagramer who was on CF. The first time I saw a suitcase on the Camino was in 2019 in Rabanal. Now? I’m speechless. 🫤 😢
View attachment 153802

Last year when we walked the Camino Frances and at the end of our Camino Primitivo, we walked beside, within, in front of and behind groups of young people, a lot of scouting groups which included quite a number of very young children (aged as young as 7). They were walking with a number of leaders helping them. Some of the children were too little to carry even day packs but the rest of the group were only carrying daypacks.
The bags in your photo could possibly have been from a similar type group, the little ones we saw walking possibly would have brought small suitcases from home as they were too small to be using backpacks. Just a thought.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I think that I am falling in love with Valencia, not only have I found what I consider to be the best Mocha in Spain, but it also happens to be the first Mochacino that I have found in Spain ❤️🥝❤️

Coffee aside, I am also loving the architecture and the feel of the city. If there weren't so many d*m tourists here (including me, of course) then I could imagine myself living here during an ANZ winter.

IMG_20230803_170859930_HDR.jpg

Camino Frances
near Viana

photo taken October 28, 2013

near Najera 28.10.2013 .jpg

I had planned to rest at a woodsy nook remembered from past caminos; however, these two pilgrims were seated in my spot! Happily they shared their delicious hot tea brewed on a primus. After teatime we three packed up, shook hands, wished eachother "Buen Camino" and continued on our paths

Camino Frances
Viana municipal albergue
sello

photo taken October 10, 2004

sello from Viana 2004.jpg

This sello is a memento of my first CF at the Viana municipal albergue when the bunks were in tiers of three; each unit had a lower, middle and top space. The crowded dorm resembled a movie scene of a tightly packed WW2 troop ship! Since some were très sportif those uppermost bunks swayed all night.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
September 20, 2016 Via Podiensis, Day 3
I don’t know why I took only one photo on this 25 kilometer walk, but I suppose it must have rained. It was a day of forest, farm tracks and little settlements like this one, stone homesteads clustered around a common area.

536C4971-F5C7-46AC-A8A7-BDC0A4FF273F.png

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Camino Frances
near Logroño

photo taken October 27, 2015

near Logroño.jpg

After taking this photo I asked if I might sit on one of the two camp chairs and the Korean pilgrim inquired if he might use the other chair; we both were very tired. The caring brothers then asked what we and/or future pilgrims might most desire -- cold water, hot chocolate, or cake? In unison we both replied "More seats would be great !"

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Boadilla del Camino, Albergue "En el Camino." Camino Frances, 2007.
A beautiful bench. It looked as if the ends were repurposed from old millwheels used for grinding grain.

View attachment 154574
lalaone, That's a great shot of their bench; being able to sit and finally relax is always such a pleasure after walking.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Camino Frances
Ventosa
Albergue San Saturnino

photo taken February 17, 2007

Ventosa.jpg

In Ventosa, a small village located slightly off the CF path between Navarrete and Nájera, this private albergue, named after the local church, was a very comfortable renovation and wonderfully heated in winter.

Camino Frances
east of Nájera near Aleson
guardaviñas

photo taken February 18, 2007

near Aleson 2007.jpg

This circular stone shelter used by La Rioja vintners is a guardaviñas. To form the conical roof stones would have been laid in a vertical series of concentric circles which diminish in size.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
VdlP. Zamora to Montamarta. April 2023.

For me this is the essence of the Camino.
Solitude. A broad landscape with those huge skies.
No distractions. Just me and my thoughts.
Feeling the wind, the warmth of the sun, the sound of the birds,
and pondering......... "I wonder what I'll see from the top of that hill"

Day-31-Zamora-10 (1).jpg

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
September 27, 2016 Day 10 on the Via Podiensis, Leaving Conques
What an amazing experience it was, being in this ancient stone village clinging to the steep side of a river valley. The highlight of the Via Podiensis.
Stayed in the dortoir at the Abbeye de Saint Foy (where incredibly, nobody snored), enjoyed a communal dinner, heard an organ recital in the dimly lit church, and in the morning descended to the bottom of the deep and narrow valley before a dramatic climb up through the mist on the other side.

9ECD348F-6F1E-42C2-932B-40CCB5B84F68.png

Camino Frances
Santo Domingo de la Calzada
cathedral interior
effigy

photo taken November 2, 2013

Santo Domingo effigy.jpg

Santo Domingo, an 11th c. hermit who had devotedly improved the local pilgrimage route, ie. the "calzada", is buried within the cathedral which bears his name . The symbol of Santo Domingo is a pair of chickens due to a legend of a young pilgrim's life saved by interceding immortal fowl.

Camino Frances
calle Mayor 42
Cofradia del Santo albergue

photo taken November 2, 2013

Cofradia del Santo , 2013.jpg

In the 12th c. the Cofradia del Santo, was formed to help/host pilgrims as they still do within their historic headquarters.

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Camino Frances
calle Mayor 42
Cofradia del Santo
earlier albergue interior

photo taken Februqry 9, 2007

Cofradia  albergue.JPG

In 2007 within the attic of their historic building this small albergue was accessed by climbing a steep Renaissance staircase. Simple but sufficient it offered 20 single beds, 1 hot plate, 1 kettle, 1 shower/toilet and rather erratic winter heat.

Last edited:
Camino Frances
calle Mayor 42
Cofradia del Santo
earlier albergue interior

photo taken Februqry 9, 2007

View attachment 155332

In 2007 within the attic of their historic building this small albergue was accessed by climbing a steep Renaissance staircase. Simple but sufficient it offered 20 single beds, 1 hot plate, 1 kettle, 1 shower/toilet and rather erratic winter heat.

My mom and I slept there on my first camino in 2001.

I recognized the bedding.

Camino Frances
symbolic chickens/1

photos taken November 2, 2013

Over time chickens have become THE symbol of Santo Domingo de la Calzada. This historic coop complete with live chickens (changed every two weeks!) is within the cathedral.

historic chicken coop.jpg

Concurently within the Casa del Santo garden this contemporary aviary shelters the future church coop choir.

garden coop.jpg

Last edited:
Camino Frances
west of Santo Domingo de la Calzada/
east of Grañón
cross

photo taken November 3, 2012

Cross near Grañón 2012.jpg

This cross marks the site of the
Leyenda de los Valientes/Legend of the Brave. Here during the middle ages a large plot of fertile land was fought over by the towns of Santo Domingo de la Calzada and Grañón.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
near Camino Frances
east of Grañón
on Camino Magdalena at Arroyo de Majuelos

photo taken February 20, 2007

east of Granon, marker.jpg

Depicting the route of the Camino de Santiago crossing Rioja this tile marker is located on the Camino Magdalena which branches off the CF to arrive at Grañón from the SE via the cemetery.

near Camino Frances and Camino Magdalena
Camino de Carrasquedo/Camino de Ermita

Ermita Nuestra Señora de Carrasquedo

photo taken November 3, 2014

Nuestra Señora de Carrasquedo.jpg

Dedicated to Our Lady of Carrasquedo, this 17th c. hermitage is located about 2 km. south of Grañón in a wooded area .Also on site is a youth hostel and bar/resto.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all, I’m starting my Camino Frances on May 12. I’ve booked my first night in SJPDP, but I’m starting to worry I need to book more. My plan was to take it day by day and just turn up, but lots...
Hello all. Here to give a brief account of my (and many others) first day on the Camino on May 1. The trip to Roncesvalles was tough. I went Valcarlos route because napoleon was very ill advised...
Or do you prefer Cromwell's attitude? Put your trust in God and keep your powder dry. I am starting to get tired of the attitude that it isn't necessary to take reasonable care and thought...
I struggle with social anxiety and I was wandering if anybody with the same issue had a positive experience on the Camino walking alone. I saw lots of posts and videos people talking about forming...
I am wondering how you disconnect, in part, from the world. I have a couple of reasons that I need to be accessible but, I don't want to be constantly connected on this journey. Ideas?
Money stolen from bag on bed while sleeping. Estelle municipal hostel. Not a big inconvenience as my passport and credit cards were left.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back