• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

On the Camino: One Day at a Time, one Photo at a Time 10.0

Non stop rain.
Etapa from Tolosa to Beasain.
Camino Vasco Interior 2019.

Rain.jpg

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Camino Frances
Trinidad de Arre
Marist monastery garden

photo taken October 19, 2014

Trinidad de Arre, garden.jpg

As the shadows lengthened I was thankful to be once again in this pleasant, almost timeless, place.
...Many of us camino veterans remember the years of sincere hospitality offered by the Marist fathers. Sadly due to old age they left in 2017. Their story is here.

So beautiful! Are these hollyhocks? This interesting overview mentions Eleanor of Castile and an old colloquial name for hollyhock, "Spanish rose."
I am sorry but I don't know my flowers very well, I am okay on vegetables though. I agree that they are beautiful and someone else may be able to name them. They were growing wild on the side of the trail.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Camino Frances
Pamplona
Baluarte de Redin/Guadalupe.

photo taken October 16, 2011

Pamplona.jpg

When strolling along the paseo Vergel I saw this baluarte/rempart/bulwark
on a section facing north towards France of the once extensive five-pointed-star-shaped 16th c. Pamplona citadel.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Camino Frances
Trinidad de Arre
Marist monastery garden

photo taken October 19, 2014

View attachment 149739

As the shadows lengthened I was thankful to be once again in this pleasant, almost timeless, place.
...Many of us camino veterans remember the years of sincere hospitality offered by the Marist fathers. Sadly due to old age they left in 2017. Their story is here.
Thank you for sharing this! I stayed there in 2016. I could not walk a step further. There was only two of us staying in the monastery and all the people i had gotten to know so far "left me". It was such a humbling, sad and important experience. I learned so much about myself and about my camino (later, caminos).

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Camino Frances
Cizur Menor
Roncal albergue

October 20, 2014

Cizur Menor, Roncal albergue.JPG

On a chilly October day I stayed, as usual, at the private albergue run by Maribel Roncal. After Pamplona's crowded sidewalks, it was always relaxing to return to the familar informal Roncal atmosphere in Cizur Menor.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Today on duty in Zabaldika, I witnessed the utter relief of a very hot pilgrim from Ukraine who rushed back from Trinidad de Arre - I presume, because of the time involved - when he saw that his credenciales had been left here. While it is hot, at least it is dry today. His only word was Thank you! After a glass of water off he set again.
IMG_0640.jpeg

Six years ago today: CF DAY 39
This monument at Monte do Gozo does no longer exist. I won't miss it as I think it was kind of ugly.
But I was a little disappointed not to see the the statues of the pilgrims pointing towards Santiago there. Only much later did I find out where they were actually located.
I spent the night at the Albergue de Peregrinos del Monte do Gozo as I wanted to walk down into Santiago de Compostela early the next morning, a decision I did not regret.
Picture taken on June 23, 2017

Monte do Gozo.jpeg

Today I visited Ermita de Santa Maria in Quintanilla de la Viñas, about 15klms from Santo Domingo de Silos.

It is a 7th century church, Visigothic architecture. Said to have first image of Christ in Spain.

In 2004, two stones depicting evangelists were stolen from the church. After a tip off was received in 2010 that they had been offered for sale as garden reliefs in Great Britain, they were found by Dutch art detective Arthur Brand in a British garden.

Here is one of the stones not stolen.

IMG_20230623_155623390.jpg

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Camino Frances
towards Alto de Perdon, 8:30 am

photo taken October 17, 2011

towards Alto de Perdon.jpg

In glorious autumnal sunshine I started walking towards the Alto de Perdon once again on my 7th CF. Going up was never too bad but coming down was often hell.

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Six years ago today: CF DAY 40
On a misty morning, my two camino friends and I set out from Monte do Gozo at 6:30 in the morning, arriving at the Cathedral about 70 minutes later. Santiago de Compostela was only just awakening and had a mysterious air about it. For a few minutes we had Praza do Obradoiro to ourselves, then a group of pilgrims on horseback entered the plaza.
Later that day I took a picture of the feet and boots that had carried me 800 km across Spain, and only just now did I notice that my hiking pants perfectly match the color of the cathedral tower!
Pictures taken on June 24, 2017

Santiago de Compostela.png

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Camino Frances
Alto de Perdon

photo taken October 17, 2011, noon

Alto de Perdon 17.10.2011.jpg

After a kind Austrian fellow took my photo he offered his arm as if we were to waltz at the famed Viennese New Year's ball. Thankfully I accepted, held tight and we sashayed down the descent in step on the scree!

March 25, 2022 Alto de Perdon
I too had my photo taken here by a fellow pilgrim, a lady from England I had met the day before on the way into Pamplona. Much later that day we had dinner together at Albergue Jakue in Puente Le Reina.

EF0F742E-75AC-4ADF-B437-783660AC5658.jpeg

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Cqmino Argones
Muruzábal
Iglesia de Santa Maria de Eunate

photo taken February 10, 2007

Eunate 2007.jpg

This is a memento of my earliest glimpse of Eunate the first time I walked there. Although the church and adjacent albergue were closed that winter day, I silently vowed to return and sleep there someday. Thus I did stay in 2008, 2009, 2011 and visited on later caminos.
... These special times at Eunate will always be treasured.

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Camino Argones
Muruzábal
Iglesia de Santa María de Eunate
interior

October 18, 2011

Eunate.jpg

Within the mystic church four other pilgrims and I attended a simple evening prayer service led by our gracious hospitalero; we all offered thanks for our caminos, our lives and our loves.... Later before falling asleep on floor mats in the small dark albergue dorm we each thanked the others for sharing such transcendent moments.

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Camino Argones
Muruzábal
Iglesia de Santa María de Eunate
last view

photo taken October 21, 2015

last view of Eunate.jpg

The last time I visited Eunate was; as always, poignant. When leaving I looked back for this final glimpse of the 1000 year old structure surrounded by fields of corn and fennel.
...May peace reign here another thousand years.

29th, June, 2022.
Dumbria to Muxia. We had a welcome stop for a drink and something to eat at Albergue O Cabanel in Vilatose A Grixa. Igrexa S. Cibran is interesting because of its separate bell tower!
We were also lucky to see a wall artist in progress! So a few photos of the same village today!!
IMG_8460.jpegIMG_8461.jpegIMG_8462.jpegIMG_8463.jpegIMG_8464.jpeg

€46,-
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
The 14th century Cruceiro de Rúa de Francos is considered one of the oldest wayside crosses in Galicia.
It is on the Camino Portugués, only about 10 km before Santiago de Compostela.
September, 2022

Rúa de Francos.jpeg

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Camino Frances
Puente La Reina-Gares
calle del Crucifijo

photo taken October 23, 2013

Puente La Reina, night.jpg

Prominent on the north/right side of the calle is the curved apse of the Iglesia del Crucifijo . A covered passage links the church to the Convento del Crucifijo, presently occupied by the Colegio de los Padres Reparadores, a private school, on the south/left side of the calle.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
The live thread from @Bad Pilgrim reminded me of the steep descent into Villanueva de la Oca, Camino Vasco Interior 2019.
Steep , pebbles and stones indeed!

In front of me our fellow pilgrim from Barcelona who danced his way downhill.

Down.jpg

Camino Frances
Puente La Reina-Gares

photo taken October 23, 2013

Puente La Reina-Gares 2013.jpg

This view of the Romanesque bridge which gives it's name to the town is from the east shore of the river Arga looking west. Since the Middle Ages multitudes of pilgrims have passed here on route to Santiago.

September 5, 2017 Via Gebennensis, second day
A steep climb up to Chaumont at the end of a long hot day, but thankfully the path was shaded at this point. At Chaumont there is a crumbling castle on the hilltop, with the village built around the foot of the promontory, thus the steep climb.

E1D54E5F-0646-4791-8F5F-803051552671.jpeg296A24E6-610A-434C-890D-BACD3EA14313.jpeg

Day Fourteen, 02 July 2022.
Camino del Norte.

A Michelen-rated restaurant in Comillas carrying the name of my country. Too bad, didn't find it the day before. I was too tired. It was in my bucket list that got away.

Screenshot_2022-07-04-04-16-17-61_99c04817c0de5652397fc8b56c3b3817.jpg

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Camino Frances
Cirauqui
Iglesia de San Román

photo taken October 22, 2015

Cirauqui 2015.jpg

Two tots and their mom stopped at the south door of the Iglesia de San Román. Mom asked me "What makes this door special?" As I pointed to the distinctive poly-globed arch she kindly snapped my photo.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
September 7, 2017 Via Gebennensis
Day 4, Seyssel to Chanaz, a lovely walk along the Rhone all day.
Photo taken early morning leaving Seyssel with its distinctive bridge over the Rhone. Seyssel has a campground with a restaurant, where we rented a cabin for the night.

B58A465A-EBD6-4C88-962E-D224C3BF91B0.jpeg

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Camino Frances
Cirauqui
Roman bridge

photo taken October 20, 2011

Cirauqui 2011.jpg

Crossing alone this then ruined Roman bridge and climbing/crawling/balancing on the distant precarious "steps" of irregular stones was nerve wracking; thank goodness for my indispensable walking stick!

€46,-
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
September 9, 2017
Day 6 on the Via Gebennensis, Yenne to Saint Genix sur Guiers
On this day I experienced one of those small miracles of the Camino. At the time I wrote “23 km through managed forests in a cold and drenching rain. Chilled through, with hands gone numb from the cold, I wished for a hot drink. Very soon Saint James answered the request with a dry barn at the side of the path equipped with a kettle, china cups, tea bags, cookies, and a donation jar.”
After I had managed to warm my hands on the cup, I gratefully signed the visitors book.
I had other experiences of that nature as I made my way towards Le Puy en Velay, all of which made me aware that I needed to go back to Spain to walk the Camino Frances a second time, as the next stage of my inner Camino.

9892160E-022C-4406-BC4B-565FA2A8E0DF.jpeg

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Camino Frances
towards Villatuerta

photo shot 0ctober 24, 2012

towards Villatuerta 2012.jpg

Somewhere (!?) west of Lorca/east of Villatuerta lay this evocative "long, long trail
a-winding".

"...There's a long, long trail a-winding
Into the land of my dreams,
Where the nightingales are singing
And a white moon beams.
There's a long, long night of waiting
Until my dreams all come true;
Till the day when I'll be going down
That long, long trail with you."

lyrics by Stoddard King 1913

Most read last week in this forum

Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...
A promotion started here right now. A step-counting sweater from Wolkswagen records how far you walk, and if you walk 613 km (which is the range of the latest model) before 16th June, you can win...
Past,present and future Thanks for sharing your adventures! This forum will be a touchstone someday in the future ..where you had gone and how far, from where and when A Canterbery tales sort of...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back