• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

On the Camino: One Day at a Time, one Photo at a Time 10.0

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Camino Frances
Burgos
Cathedral de Santa Maria, west facade

photo taken November 8, 2013

Burgos 2013.jpg

Anyone wishing to worship/meditate may freely enter Burgos cathedral through the sw corner door, beneath the pointed arch furthest to the right in this view. However free access is limited within the vast complex; a fee is charged to visit the cathedral/museum.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Camino Frances
Burgos
cathedral museum

October 20, 2004

Burgos, reliquary.jpg

Within the cathedral museum is this mid 15th c. reliquary. Roughly 30cm. tall, clad in vermeil/ gold plate on silver, Saint James wears a pilgrim hat complete with shell atop his delightfully precise curls. Sainthood is depicted by the flat halo behind his head. He grips his pilgrim staff and from one shoulder hangs a tiny traveling bag known as a scrip also decorated with shells.

...I still fondly recall seeing this exquisite figure for the first time in 2004.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
October 21, 2016
Arriving at the pilgrim office in Saint Jean Pied de Port, a bittersweet moment. The Via Podiensis was finished and it was time to return home. The intensity of my emotions surprised me. What I yearned to do was continue on to Santiago to relive the Camino Frances, but that would have to wait until 2018.

70830238-898B-4F29-ADEA-6889827C782F.png

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Thank you everyone for your daily photos on this thread. You have either brought back great memories or whetted my appetite for a Camino as yet unexplored.
I’m going on Camino next week!! This time the Portugués, a combination of Coastal from Porto to Valença, then the Central route. So I’ll take a pause from posting, and will be home in early November with a new batch of photos.

Hoping to see this one more time on All Saints Day.
AC9CA78D-60CE-47E0-8CDC-EC63013F0973.png

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Camino Frances
Burgos
Plaza de la Libertad
Casa del Cordón

photo taken February 4, 2008

Burgos, Casa del Cordón.jpg

The highlight of a rest day in Burgos.
was meeting a charming French speaking hospitalera shown in this view for a guided visit at the restored 15th c. palace, Casa del Cordón, presently used as a bank/exhibition space. Carved in stone the heavy ropes/cords which surround the main door give this sumptuous palace its name.

Camino Frances
near Tadajos

photo taken November 2, 2011

near Tardajos.jpg

West of Burgos the CF crossed farmland and wood with only a few yellow arrows pointing the way. One such haphazard arrow was this near the junction of the rio/canal Arlanzón near Tardajos.

Camino Frances
Tardajos
La Fabrica albergue

photo taken November 8, 2014

Tardajos.jpg

Rain soaked and cold I stopped at La Fabrica, a repurposed flour mill now an albergue/hostal. Each heated (!!) albergue dorm room could hold 4 pilgrims with fresh linens on the bunks and a sleek toilet/shower adjacent. The bar/dining room was popular with locals as well as visiting hunters; meals were copious, tasty and good value.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Camino Frances
west of Rabé de las Calzadas

photo taken November 9, 2012

rainbow, leaving Rabé de las Calzadas.jpg

"..The true harvest of my daily life is somewhat as intangible and indescribable as the tints of morning or evening. It is a little star-dust caught, a segment of the rainbow which I have clutched."

Henry David Thoreau,
Walden, 1854

Camino Frances
towards Hornillos del Camino

photo taken November 10, 2013

towards Hornillos del Camino.jpg

Crossing the Meseta, the immense Castillian plateau which rises west of Burgos, was cold this bleak late autumn day with a wicked wind from the west blowing onto the path.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Camino Frances
Castrojeriz
Real de Oriente, 43
La Taberna resto/bar

photo taken November 11, 2012

La Taberna, Castrojeriz.jpg

The barista/owner said "Hola Americana!" as I entered once again this favorite bar/resto. Always most welcoming he then elegantly served a pot of true hot chocolate with thick slices of hot buttered cinnamon toast, my usual midmorning winter combo!

€149,-
Camino Frances
leaving Castrojeriz

photo taken February 27, 2007

west of Castrojeriz.jpg

The steep ascent up the Mostelares plateau loomed ahead in the cold morning air. However, the gravel path would be broad and the panorama from the summit superb!

Camino Frances
Alto de Mostelares

photo taken February 18, 2009

Alto de Mostelares.jpg

This was another perfect moment during my 5th CF at age 70. The climb had been steep but the view from the top was worth it; behind me to the east was the path taken from Castrojeriz and ahead to the west lay the path to take.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

€60,-
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Camino Frances
Fromista
Canal de Castilla Esclusa cuádruple

photo taken November 13, 2012

Fromista Canal de Castilla.jpg

Taken near the four huge Fromista locks this photo marks the imaginary mid-point of my 8th CF. After four weeks walking roughly 6 hours per day whilest always carrying my loaded pack (6.5 kilos) I was as fit as might be hoped at 73.
.....All I needed then, as now, was continued luck, tenacity and endurance. Ultreia!

Camino Frances
towards Itero de la Vega

photo taken November 4, 2011

View attachment 158531

Aĺl was colored ocher along the stony spine of the Meseta east of Itero de la Vega this cold November day as the singular ribbon-like path crossed the vast emptiness

Wow!

Oh my!

I love the meseta especially this path.

€60,-
Via Gebennensis, July 2023. This church (st Andrew’s in La Côté-Saint-André) had all their statues in the realistic size. When I first stepped in from the bright sunlight I thought the church had lots of other visitors. Nope, I was alone.

IMG_2273.jpeg

Camino Frances
Fromista
Iglesia San Martin

February 8, 2008

Fromista early morning.jpg

Once part of a large monastery the Iglesia San Martin, a small 11th c. Romanesque church, now unconsecrated is a museum.
On the exterior several hundred carved figures decorate the eave corbels below the roof.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

€83,-
Camino Frances
west of Fromista

photo taken March 1, 2007

west of Fromista.JPG

This stately marker topped with a cross is a welcome contrast to the more recent low concrete bollards alining the CF path parallel to Palencia route P-980 west of Fromista/ east of Villalcazar de Sirga.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Camino Frances
Villalcazar de Sirga,
Iglesia de Santa María la Blanca

photo taken November 6, 2011

Villalcazar de Sirga 06.11.2011.jpg

An assemblage of interconnected units form this massive historic church door; similarly camino paths are continually composed by multitudes of pilgrims walking towards Santiago.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Camino Frances
Villalcazar de Sirga
Iglesia de Santa María la Blanca

photo taken November 6, 2011

Villalcazar de Sirga, Iglesia, interior.jpg

Sacred, eternal beauty endures within the austere 12-14th c. fortress-church, Santa María la Blanca, originally built by/for the Knights Templar and later a royal Marian sanctuary .

Camino Frances
Carrión de los Condes
Refugio Santa Clara

photo taken October 25, 2004

Carrión de los Condes, 2004 .jpg

The pilgrim Refugio Santa Clara is part of the historic Real Monasterio Santa Clara; St Francis of Assisi during his early 13th c. pilgrimage to Santiago is said to have stopped in this monastery.

€60,-
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Camino Frances
Carrion dos Condes
Real Monasterio Santa Clara

photo taken November 13, 2014

Real Monasterio Santa Clara, 2014.jpg

The far left door in this entrance courtyard led to the hospederia. The last time I stopped on my 10th camino the private room had linens, loo and shower but no heat that frigid November night.

Camino Frances
Carrión de los Condes
Iglesia de Santiago

photo taken November 14, 2012

Carrión de los Condes.jpg

The west facade of the Iglesia de Santiago built mid-12th c. is a splendid example of Romanesque style. Christ sits in the middle of a broad frieze beneath the roof eaves surrounded by symbols of the four Evangelists flanked by the Apostles.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all, I’m starting my Camino Frances on May 12. I’ve booked my first night in SJPDP, but I’m starting to worry I need to book more. My plan was to take it day by day and just turn up, but lots...
A promotion started here right now. A step-counting sweater from Wolkswagen records how far you walk, and if you walk 613 km (which is the range of the latest model) before 16th June, you can win...
Past,present and future Thanks for sharing your adventures! This forum will be a touchstone someday in the future ..where you had gone and how far, from where and when A Canterbery tales sort of...
Seems to be a lot of people posting about stuff they lost on the Camino recently. I managed to leave a nice new-ish polo shirt somewhere drying and didn't notice for over a week. I hope someone...
Did you meet Bjørn Krohn? Died aged 48 in an albergue, I don't know where, tuesday 21th. I didn't know this until now.
Can anyone tell me if food is available there… anyone stayed recently? Cheers

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back