Search over 55.000 Camino Questions

A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement
Camino Cups
Browse our selection of Camino Cups on the forum store
how to successfully prepare for your Camino
This book's focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared.

On the Camino: One Day at a Time, one Photo at a Time 5.0

Bill905

Pilgrim
Year of past OR future Camino
The monastery has long vanished, leaving the solitary Ermita de San Miguel Arcángel from the 10th or 11th century, just outside the pueblo of Villatuerta on the CF towards Estella. This church is one of the oldest in Navarre. Such a peaceful setting. From what I understand, on the feast day of St. Michael (September 29), the townsfolk come here for mass, and a picnic in a recreational area next to the church. What a nice way to celebrate a Saint!

IMG_20190330_152432_1.jpg

Silver Oxide Camino de Santiago pendent
Camino de Santiago pendant that has a shell on the front, and "Camino de Santiago" engraved on the back. Comes with a black cord. Pendent is slightly larger than a 50 euro cent coin, about 25mm.
Original artwork based on your pilgrimage or other travel photos.
Camino Way Markers
Original Camino Way markers made in bronze. Two models, one from Castilla & Leon and the other from Galicia.
Casa Ivar Pin
Custom hard enamel pin badge with silver coloured locking pin. Size: 30 mm.

Anik2001

Past: Camino Frances (2017), future: Frances again (2020)well hopefully 2021...
8E7FDD3A-D867-405B-9512-BFCD3FFFB222.jpeg

Plaza Los Fueros in Viana. Viewed from the window of the refugio. It sprung to life after the siesta, with people talking and drinking and kids running around, playing and shouting. I loved that small town life on the camino.

CF14
LePuy/CF(21?)
Aussie Camino15
WHW15
CP16
CdelN Fin/Muxia18
GGW StCuthWay HadrWall CotswoldWay19
On the way down to Castrojeriz. 04/05/12

View attachment 99379
Hi Wayfarer,
Here is our photo of the same view taken 8th, September, 2014 but we think it's taken from the Alto Meseta at 950m looking to Hornillos del Camino. We walked from Burgos to Hornillos del Camino that day. Your photo is a lot greener than ours. Both photos appear to be taken from the same vantage point.
8 Sep #1 1131hrs On the Meseta looking towards Hornillos del Camino from Alto Meseta 950m.JPG

mspath

Veteran Member
Frances, autumn/winter; 2004, 2005-2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015
Saint Jean Pied de Port
Peppers

photo taken October 10, 2011

Saint Jean Pied de Port, peppers 10.10. 20111.jpg

Basque seasoning

Red Espelette peppers provide a piquant taste in Basque cooking as a major ingredient in traditional piperade/pepper stew or as dry flakes sprinkled as seasoning.

On the Camino Frances several simple restos in Saint Jean Pied de Port, Arneguy and Valcarlos serve this hearty country fare.

This type of pepper is named for the town Espelette about 35 km NW of SJPdP; Chili pepper seeds were introduced to France during the 16th c. by seamen returning from Central /South America.

Last edited:
Peaceable Projects Inc.
Peaceable Projects Inc. is a U.S.-based non-profit group that brings the vast resources of the wide world together with the ongoing needs of the people who live, work, and travel on the Camino de Santiago pilgrim trail network in Spain.
Camino Masks
12 different designs, shipped world wide from Santiago.
This type of pepper is named for the town Espelette about 35 km NW of SJPdP; Chili pepper seeds were introduced to France during the 16th c. by seamen returning from Central /South America.
Esplette is on the Baztanes, where we rolled in one afternoon like 5 drowned mice after a drenching day from Bayonne. It was a very pretty town, and there were peppers hanging everywhere. But because of the heavy rain, I took no photos. Here is the next town along, Ainhoa, the next morning when we saw the first sun après le deluge.
IMG_4142 - Copy.JPG

mspath

Veteran Member
Frances, autumn/winter; 2004, 2005-2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015
Esplette is on the Baztanes, where we rolled in one afternoon like 5 drowned mice after a drenching day from Bayonne. It was a very pretty town, and there were peppers hanging everywhere. But because of the heavy rain, I took no photos. Here is the next town along, Ainhoa, the next morning when we saw the first sun après le deluge.
View attachment 99429
Thanks for this shot! I have always dreamed of walking the Baztanes especially when using red pepper flakes.

Camino Magnets
A collection of Camino Fridge Magnets
Donation to the Forum
A donation to this forum helps it continue to exists and also removes all ads for you.

wayfarer

Staff member
Hi Wayfarer,
Here is our photo of the same view taken 8th, September, 2014 but we think it's taken from the Alto Meseta at 950m looking to Hornillos del Camino. We walked from Burgos to Hornillos del Camino that day. Your photo is a lot greener than ours. Both photos appear to be taken from the same vantage point.
View attachment 99421
Thanks guys, I will check my notes again. I walked in April/May, everything was green.

EDIT: You guys are right, the photo was taken the day we walked from Burgos to Hontanas.
Thank you @Anne&Pat

Bill905

Pilgrim
Cirueña on the CF. One of my favorite breakfasts ... Tortilla de patata, olives, and Cola Cao to keep away the cold. I liked it because it stayed with me for a few hours. And although I had tortilla de patata several times, it never came the same way twice! It's a very adaptable recipe, and I absolutely loved all the local variations. This one came with hot peppers ... perhaps peppers from Esplette? :) When I returned home I looked up a recipe and cooked one up for the family, along with a Tarta de Santiago of course! Both were hits!

IMG_20190403_113156.jpg

RENSHAW

Official Camino Vino taster
2003 CF Roncesvalles to Santiago
2/4 weeks on the CF frequently.
Hospitalero San Anton June 2016.
Viana , my favorite town on the CF
View attachment 99390

Plaza Los Fueros in Viana. Viewed from the window of the refugio. It sprung to life after the siesta, with people talking and drinking and kids running around, playing and shouting. I loved that small town life on the camino.
My favourite town on the CF

Camino Magnets
A collection of Camino Fridge Magnets
Silver Oxide Camino de Santiago pendent
Camino de Santiago pendant that has a shell on the front, and "Camino de Santiago" engraved on the back. Comes with a black cord. Pendent is slightly larger than a 50 euro cent coin, about 25mm.
CF14
LePuy/CF(21?)
Aussie Camino15
WHW15
CP16
CdelN Fin/Muxia18
GGW StCuthWay HadrWall CotswoldWay19
About half way between Olveiroa and Cee, we think this is the 18thC wayside cross at Marco do Couto, seemingly there is an adjacent medieval marker-stone with the initials RC, which likely refers to the Royal Way to Finisterre Real Camino.
20180619_092139.jpg

Bill905

Pilgrim
I admired the many different ways in which not only the general population of Spain acknowledge El Camino through their use of logos on businesses, signs, etc. but even various levels of government get in on the act with statues, sellos, areas de descanso, etc. I took this photo in O Pedrouzo, showing of all things, the cover of a storm sewer! I thought this one was particularly noteworthy because of the double use of the scallop shell theme. I think it would be a rather significant undertaking to design and cast these covers, never mind the myriad approvals that would be mandated by the bureaucracy of any level of government.

IMG_20190425_121021_1.jpg

Frances(2006) Portugues(2013)
San Salvador (2017) Ingles (2019)
A little out of sequence. This was taken in the days approaching Santiago, weaving in and out between farmhouses.
r001-006.JPG

Casa Ivar Pin
Custom hard enamel pin badge with silver coloured locking pin. Size: 30 mm.
Donation to the Forum
A donation to this forum helps it continue to exists and also removes all ads for you.

Did not find what you were looking for? Search here

Popular Resources

“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf ivar
  • Featured
“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf
4.95 star(s) 100 ratings
Downloads
Updated
A selection of favorite albergues on the Camino Francés Ton van Tilburg
Favorite Albergues along the Camino Frances
4.83 star(s) 35 ratings
Downloads