• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

On the Camino: One Day at a Time, one Photo at a Time 6.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.
Is anyone else having trouble loading the photos when you bring this thread up, or is it just me?

My photo of the day is a random click with my eyes closed. From the rooftop tour of the cathedral, April 2015 - all of us peregrino/as acting like a class full of curious little kids. 😊
20150413_182747.jpg

Is anyone else having trouble loading the photos when you bring this thread up, or is it just me?

My photo of the day is a random click with my eyes closed. From the rooftop tour of the cathedral, April 2015 - all of us peregrino/as acting like a class full of curious little kids. 😊
View attachment 110501
Sometimes they are a bit slow to load up, but they get there in the end (like our car).

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
My label on this one: 18km straight one, so my guess is we came to where? someone please fill in the missing details! right now, mind is a blank, and given that my photos are so random now, no idea exactly where we did end up. Could have been in a private baronial albergue, near the Bishop's Palace, Gaudi... sorry, have to go to the bank!
18km straight on 2.JPG
edit: could it be on the stretch to Astorga?

Last edited by a moderator:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
anyone else having trouble loading the photos when you bring this thread up, or is it just me?
Hopefully it’s not me posting my pictures incorrectly…I am trying to do thumbnails

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Everything I write, read or post is via a Samsung Galaxy phone. No problem yet today with loading/viewing pics. ...However who knows what will happen next.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Oviedo, Primitivo May 2012

camino 3522.JPG

Oviedo has over 100 urban statues...I took pictures of many of them :eek: (fair warning). This plaza (now Fresno, then la Gesta) is home to the Monumento a los Defensores Caidos (sculptor Cruz Solis) honoring the dead of the Siege of Oviedo. Around the base of the church is written part of the Vulgate Bible's Matthew 10:28 "NOLITE TIMERE EOS QUI OCCISUM CORPUS ANIMAM AUTEM NON POSUNT OCCIDERE"--Fear not those who kill the body, but cannot kill the soul. An angel mourns the dead above the words, holding the palm of martyrdom. You can see how a bunny stood out here, and why it caught my eye for several reasons.

This was a few yards from the hotel I stayed in the first of three times my camino crossed Oviedo; I was fascinated by the history of the siege (as a military person), the sculpture/architecture (as a visual thinker), and the urban planning of the plaza. The Church of St Francis of Assisi (one of my favorite saints) is to me beautiful despite the Brutalist style, known to locals as 'the Round Church". I doubt the architect meant the connection, but I considered it fitting the church built with a monument (or monument built into a church?) for a siege with a rather desperate last stand be round and look somewhat fortress-like. Different groups all had plans and desires for one of the few remaining (somewhat blighted) open spaces available for building, and I think the city met them all rather economically. The church is built with Galician granite donated by Galicia in honor of their role in the siege. The plaza serves apartments built next to it (as does the church) for gathering, along with a children's play area, and there is a concert hall and some shops.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Is that really a statue of an angel? Well, it obviously is. But geeze - it creepily looks like a ringwraith.
I know, I would consider it more in the "mourners" category but the guide to statues I got from the tourist office said it's an angel. there were many statues I took pictures of that I puzzled over a bit ;)

Camino Frances
Alto de San Roque
pilgrim sculpture

photos taken November 30, 2012

My snowy climb up to O Cebreiro on
the previous day
had been exhausting.

Therefore the next morning after passing this snow covered bronze sculpture of a pilgrim in the wind

Alto de San Roque.jpg

Alto de San Roque detail.jpg

I stopped at a nearby bar. Surprisingly it was open and warm; after a copious hot second breakfast I contentedly fell asleep in a cosy corner.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
6 Oct 2021, Monforte de Lemos. I love that they can deliver people's bread by just hanging it on the doorknob in a plastic bag. The town has many attractions, including a Railway Museum (which I was forbidden to visit under threat of divorce) the monastery, and the centre of viniculture which showcases Mencía wine. We both enjoyed that one.

DSC04649.JPG

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
6 Oct 2021, Monforte de Lemos. I love that they can deliver people's bread by just hanging it on the doorknob in a plastic bag. The town has many attractions, including a Railway Museum (which I was forbidden to visit under threat of divorce) the monastery, and the centre of viniculture which showcases Mencía wine. We both enjoyed that one.

View attachment 110575
Which Camino is that on? Did you visit the train museum in ponferrada or Madrid?

October 6th 2021 after getting to the top of the tree lined rise when leaving from Portomarin I saw this in the distance and I snapped it while the light was still a bit fuzzy.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
David,
In the morning mist this is a magical shot. The soft color, trees, path and distant figures combined are a perfect picture of why we walk. Thanks for posting this.

Last edited:
In Oviedo some urban statues are abstract, others are realistic. Of those, some are real people everyone recognizes (Woody Allen, who knew?), some are known only to the artist (EL Regreso de Williams B Arrensberg), some represent a thought or group (Esperanza Caminando) etc. There was one I couldn't find in my tourist office guide or my Fodors. So I sent it to my sister: she's the principal clarinetist in several symphonies and orchestras, and has played with famous musicians from all over the world.

I asked: "Is this a well known musician, do you know his name?"

camino 3527.JPG

Her reply:
'he's holding the bow incorrectly."

yes, she's the sister of "that's a cow, not a bull" fame. It's in front of the concert hall, I imagine the violins shake their heads as they pass

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Galicia
symbols

photos taken March 11, 2009 and
November 23, 2011

Some uses of iconic symbols can be jarring.

O Cebreiro, church, interior.jpg

The magnificent silver chalice in the church at O Cebreiro on the CF was a gift from royalty commemorating a medieval miracle of faith when a parishioner experienced the transformation of wine and bread.

Galicia symbol.jpg

In more recent time the stylized shape of the chalice became the symbol of Galicia and thus now appears throughout the province even on garbage containers !!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Two for the price of one because, well it was a very long day. Also an object lesson in not being put off by pedlars of gloom and foreboding. The notorious hospedales route turned out to be long, but not that formidable. In fact, apart from the short sharp climb out of Borres, and a bit of a scramble at the end, mostly a gentle uphill climb. It was pretty lonely though, and it could be very nasty in bad weather. Primitivo, 7 Oct 2021.

DSC00212.JPGDSC00225.JPG

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Heads up One-A-Day posters.👋💝
We're well over 1000 posts, so tonight my time (morning US East Coast) I'll post a new thread. One nice thing about starting new iterations of this topic is that none of us will notice if you're being repetitive. 😁🙃.
Thank you for the joy you bring here every day with your beautiful images.

I'm on my phone so need to post from my album here, sorry!
View media item 9752Inside the tunel on the Vasco. It's a strange place.

1633698425942.jpeg

1633698387727.jpeg

Although these photos don't seem to have much in common, together they created a good mood.

Photo #1: After a short day from Villafranca del Bierzo to Vega de Valcarce, we arrived at Albergue El Paso (an unexpectedly great stop), where I had the time, the sun, and the supplies (soap, a scrub brush, and a water hose) to clean and dry my backpack. For days it had felt and smelled like I was carrying an animal carcass on my back. 🤢

Photo #2: The next morning, I began my trek to O Cebreiro with a clean, fresh pack on my back while walking through the crisp, beautiful countryside. The simple pleasures (a clean pack and a very nice walk) are what I remember most about that day.

View attachment 110666

View attachment 110665

Although these photos don't seem to have much in common, together they created a good mood.

Photo #1: After a short day from Villafranca del Bierzo to Vega de Valcarce, we arrived at Albergue El Paso (an unexpectedly great stop), where I had the time, the sun, and the supplies (soap, a scrub brush, and a water hose) to clean and dry my backpack. For days it had felt and smelled like I was carrying an animal carcass on my back. 🤢

Photo #2: The next morning, I began my trek to O Cebreiro with a clean, fresh pack on my back while walking through the crisp, beautiful countryside. The simple pleasures (a clean pack and a very nice walk) are what I remember most about that day.
Phoenix,
That is a wonderful light in Photo #2; thanks for sharing your "simple pleasures".

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Heads up One-A-Day posters.👋💝
We're well over 1000 posts, so tonight my time (morning US East Coast) I'll post a new thread. One nice thing about starting new iterations of this topic is that none of us will notice if you're being repetitive. 😁🙃.
Thank you for the joy you bring here every day with your beautiful images.

I'm on my phone so need to post from my album here, sorry!
View media item 9752Inside the tunel on the Vasco. It's a strange place.

Well, I have to go back just to walk that etapa.I know it was the most sensible thing for me not to walk that day but still... :)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

https://www.lodgify.com/blog/es/observatorio-lodgify-febrero-2024/?utm_campaign=ES%20-%20Content%20Newsletter&utm_medium=email&_hsmi=298376570&_hsenc=p2ANqtz--KQkkCIbmVh11e1l-9P2514JyKrTN8_nNki9ioi...
Have you had Communion while attending the Cruz de Ferro?
Hi there Can anyone tell me where on the Camino Frances there is a mural on a wall depicting “the three wise men”. I’ve admired it on several occasions, over the years, but I can’t remember where...
I wonder how many,if any get caught up in the idea...or ideal of the Camino To be sure it captured my imagination and reinforced by videos and pictures. I am quick to seek and find the good in...
What does the abbreviation "Rda" mean in Spanish? In context: "Calle la Rda, Villalcázar de Sirga". I have googled (of course), but I've obviously not been asking the right questions, as I've...
Can someone please describe the difference between the Wise Pilgrim print edition, the kindle edition, and the app for the Camino Primitivo? I mean up-to-date info, ease of use, etc. If I got the...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back