• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

On the Camino: One Day at a Time, One Photo at a Time (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
This gorgeous glade caught my eye on the approach to Ponte de Lima.

Does anyone know what these flowers are called? Are they orchids?
The flowers are definately cala lilies. They were the flowers used in my deceased sister's wedding 35 years ago. I saw many on my caminos and always thought of her.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200729-064521~2.png
    Screenshot_20200729-064521~2.png
    904.7 KB · Views: 6
  • Screenshot_20200729-064547~2.png
    Screenshot_20200729-064547~2.png
    229.4 KB · Views: 6
  • Screenshot_20200729-064442~2.png
    Screenshot_20200729-064442~2.png
    853.4 KB · Views: 6
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
18th May 2012:

The Portico de la Gloria. This was the first time I arrived at the cathedral and I entered from the Praza do Obradoiro. There was a barrier to prevent you touching the column but it was possible to get close to it. When I was in Santiago last June, I visited it again on a cathedral tour: it looked magnificent after restoration but no talking or photo taking was permitted :)

Apologies, I need two photos just to cover the central column. I think the tympanum must have been obscured as I don't have any photos :oops:

Portico of Glory 18 05 2012.jpgPortico of Glory Sept 2012.jpg

This gorgeous glade caught my eye on the approach to Ponte de Lima.

Does anyone know what these flowers are called? Are they orchids?
We call them Arum Lilies in Australia and in Scotland. We got married in Scotland in 1984 and we had some arum lilies in the church flowers for our wedding Then when I emigrated to Australia, a week after our wedding, discovered that they grow wild in many places. I (Anne) love them. I am Scottish/Australian, Pat is Australian. :)

Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Back to one day at a time, one photo at a time.... ;)

The view from the Castillo de Cornatel of the Camino Invierno (below) and the far side of the Bierzo, towards the Camino Frances. I have to say that while I'm not normally spooked by heights, the drop-off here was a bit spooky.

Attachments

• 20190603_135653.jpg
    20190603_135653.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 23
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I miss being able to open photos, and have just tried the last few to see if I have any luck. Maybe I have a setting wrong somewhere? Not to worry, I can live without seeing them. Here is one from the Salvador that I sometimes use as my desktop picture.
Screenshot 2020-07-30 at 17.05.32.png

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
9th September 2012:

Gigantes y cabezudos near the Plaza San Nicolás in Mansilla de las Mulas.
As I approached this plaza, children and teenagers ran through it screaming and laughing. It was completely unexpected to see these whip-wielding figures, accompanied by a band, chasing them. I didn't hang around to take any other photos 🥵:):)

Villiage Fiesta on the Road into Leon 09 09 2012.jpg

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

€46,-
Belorado 2011. Semana Santa . Good Friday. Stations of the Cross.

When you quite unexpectedly end up in the streets where the Stations of the Cross are held.
There are some more thoughts about this moment but I'm aware that they might not be ok with the forum rules regarding religion. But I remember an encounter that day with someone who had no affiliation with any religion whatsoever and he asked me to explain the concept of Semana Santa. As a very lapsed Catholic myself I did my best to explain some basics.

Attachments

• Good Friday.jpg
    Good Friday.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 19
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Beginning of June was very wet last year, probably May too hence such a high water level when I was there
Just googled it and that is actually a reservoir with a hydro electric dam 30k downstream so that will have a big effect on levels. In Madidi's pic there is the old bridge. Mad fact (to me, who just read it lol) Portomarin as it is today, is only 57 years old. Moved whole village when the dam was built

Just googled it and that is actually a reservoir with a hydro electric dam 30k downstream so that will have a big effect on levels. In Madidi's pic there is the old bridge. Mad fact (to me, who just read it lol) Portomarin as it is today, is only 57 years old. Moved whole village when the dam was built
Actually as I know they only moved the church :)

€46,-
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The English have their own pilgrimage, to Canterbury Cathedral where Thomas Becket was murdered in 1170. Becket was a friend of King Henry II but after the King got Becket appointed arch-bishop of Canterbury he, Becket, started siding with the church against the king. Henry made some remark that some knights took to mean that Becket should be killed and they took it upon themselves to do the deed. Henry took penitence, the Pope sanctified Becket within a few years and Canterbury became the destination of pilgrims. Henry's daughter Eleanor married the King of Leon and Castile and brought the veneration of Saint Thomas to Spain. In the mid 1500s Henry VIII had Thomas's shrine and remains destroyed.

Now for the pictures. Burgos Cathedral displays a relic of Saint Thomas's hand and the museum of the cathedral in Astorga has this depiction of the martyrdom of Thomas.

D15500-VER.jpg Q15300-VER.jpg

The English have their own pilgrimage, to Canterbury Cathedral where Thomas Becket was murdered in 1170. Becket was a friend of King Henry II but after the King got Becket appointed arch-bishop of Canterbury he, Becket, started siding with the church against the king. Henry made some remark that some knights took to mean that Becket should be killed and they took it upon themselves to do the deed. Henry took penitence, the Pope sanctified Becket within a few years and Canterbury became the destination of pilgrims. Henry's daughter Eleanor married the King of Leon and Castile and brought the veneration of Saint Thomas to Spain. In the mid 1500s Henry VIII had Thomas's shrine and remains destroyed.

Now for the pictures. Burgos Cathedral displays a relic of Saint Thomas's hand and the museum of the cathedral in Astorga has this depiction of the martyrdom of Thomas.

View attachment 80020 View attachment 80021
A wonderful bit of historical information, Rick!

Happy 80th birthday to Martin Sheen, a man whose body of work stands tall in the history of American cinema.

One film in particular stands out, doesn’t it?

Thank you, Martin, Emilio, Taylor and all of the Estevez family - I’ll raise a glass to you all today.

Attachments

• 1B4F80B2-1A73-4586-B332-09E1FE41DE5D.jpeg
    1B4F80B2-1A73-4586-B332-09E1FE41DE5D.jpeg
    297.9 KB · Views: 2
Happy 80th birthday to Martin Sheen, a man whose body of work stands tall in the history of American cinema.

One film in particular stands out, doesn’t it?

Thank you, Martin, Emilio, Taylor and all of the Estevez family - I’ll raise a glass to you all today.
I will raise a glass as well. If not for their vision in making the movie "The Way" I sincerely doubt I would know about these fascinating and delightful trails in Spain. The planning of, and walking my five pilgrimages has occupied my mind in retirement and given me much pleasure.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
when you stop to drink tea, and you still get a free massage

Bar at the entrance Puente Villarente on CF

Attachments

• 34.jpg
    34.jpg
    144.2 KB · Views: 15
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

€149,-
Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

https://www.lodgify.com/blog/es/observatorio-lodgify-febrero-2024/?utm_campaign=ES%20-%20Content%20Newsletter&utm_medium=email&_hsmi=298376570&_hsenc=p2ANqtz--KQkkCIbmVh11e1l-9P2514JyKrTN8_nNki9ioi...
Have you had Communion while attending the Cruz de Ferro?
Hi there Can anyone tell me where on the Camino Frances there is a mural on a wall depicting “the three wise men”. I’ve admired it on several occasions, over the years, but I can’t remember where...
I wonder how many,if any get caught up in the idea...or ideal of the Camino To be sure it captured my imagination and reinforced by videos and pictures. I am quick to seek and find the good in...
What does the abbreviation "Rda" mean in Spanish? In context: "Calle la Rda, Villalcázar de Sirga". I have googled (of course), but I've obviously not been asking the right questions, as I've...
Hoping someone will have some new ideas for me! I always bring a box to Spain to mail to my friends in Madrid. It has for years had the following items — boxes of Vanilla Chai tea bags, Dentyne...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back