• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Pack weight question

Eve Alexandra

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
2017 Astorga-SDC, April 2022 SJPP-Muxia
I did a test of my pack weight a few weeks ago. I took it to the vet's office where they kindly weighed it for me as my home scale doesn't seem to want to register anything under 35 lbs.

10% of my ideal body weight is 18 lbs (I'm 6 ft tall).

It came it at 19 lbs..including 1.5 liters of water.

I'm traveling in March...I'm a little confused about pack weight. I know the 10% rule well. Every says it is *the number to follow.

I also read in a book (and once here buried in a thread I can no longer find) that up to 15% is more reasonable for a winter camino...middle of March being right on the edge of winter.

I've since bought and traded a few items. I added one of those Costco down quilts to my liner...another lb...and replaced the stupid fleece I hate with one that fits better (and probably weighs a bit more), and I am swapping out one of my hiking pants for a macabi skirt which has not yet arrived so idk what it weighs. I also swapped out my microfiber towel for a pare0 that weighs almost nothing.

I'll take it to the Vet's again, but if I'm *close to the 10% mark, am I doing well since it is end of winter? Or do I need to start tossing stuff and get it lower than 18-20 lbs?

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I'm a little confused about pack weight. I know the 10% rule well. Every says it is *the number to follow.

OK, I am a lot confused here. Not everyone says it is the number to follow. That is very apparent on many threads in this forum.

*close to the 10% mark
Isn't 19 close to 18? You really don't need 18 pounds of stuff, but if you can comfortably carry it all day, feel free! You need to stop obsessing, be sensible, decide if you can carry that weight, and if the 1 pound makes any difference.

I walked in the summer, and my pack without water was about 15 pounds. With a liter of water it was about 17 pounds, so your pack weight doesn't seem extraordinarily high.
If you want help paring down your packing list you can post it here, and get suggestions on things that might be nice to have, but not necessary.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I did a test of my pack weight a few weeks ago. I took it to the vet's office where they kindly weighed it for me as my home scale doesn't seem to want to register anything under 35 lbs.

I'm traveling in March...I'm a little confused about pack weight. I know the 10% rule well. Every says it is *the number to follow.

I also read in a book (and once here buried in a thread I can no longer find) that up to 15% is more reasonable for a winter camino...middle of March being right on the edge of winter.

I've since bought and traded a few items. I added one of those Costco down quilts to my liner...another lb...and replaced the stupid fleece I hate with one that fits better (and probably weighs a bit more), and I am swapping out one of my hiking pants for a macabi skirt which has not yet arrived so idk what it weighs. I also swapped out my microfiber towel for a pare0 that weighs almost nothing.

I'll take it to the Vet's again, but if I'm *close to the 10% mark, am I doing well since it is end of winter? Or do I need to start tossing stuff and get it lower than 18-20 lbs?
I can understand the confusion. First, there is no 10% rule, although I do think it is a good rule of thumb for a summer camino for your bare pack weight to be less than 10% of your body weight. Bare weight is generally considered to be the weight without any consumables, ie food and water. So from what you have described, your bare pack weight is somewhere around 7 kg.

In spring and autumn, you might need to carry from 25% to 50% more, and in winter, it could be as much as double, depending on the conditions you expect to face. My experience in Apr was that I was able to achieve under 15% of my ideal walking weight as a bare pack weight.

I think a more reliable measure is to calculate your from the skin out (FSO) load, ie pack including consumables, clothing, footwear, poles, etc. As a rule of thumb, if your FSO load is less than 20% of your ideal walking weight, you should be able to walk in relative comfort. Above that, you will begin to slow down more quickly, etc.

In all of this, if you want to walk far, fast, or both, make sure the weight you carry is kept as low as you can.

Last edited:
I can understand the confusion. First, there is no 10% rule, although I do think it is a good rule of thumb for a summer camino for your bare pack weight to be less than 10% of your body weight. Bare weight is generally considered to be the weight without any consumables, ie food and water. So from what you have described, your bare pack weight is somewhere around 7 kg.

In spring and autumn, you might need to carry from 25% to 50% more, and in winter, it could be as much as double, depending on the conditions you expect to face. My experience in Apr was that I was able to achieve under 15% of my ideal walking weight as a bare pack weight.

I think a more reliable measure is to calculate your from the skin out (FSO) load, ie pack including consumables, clothing, footwear, poles, etc. As a rule of thumb, if your FSO load is less than 20% of your ideal walking weight, you should be able to walk in relative comfort. Above that, you will begin to slow down more quickly, etc.

In all of this, if you want to walk far, fast, or both, make sure the weight you carry is kept as low as you can.

Thank you. This is so helpful.

Some of my clothes weigh more simply because I'm 6 ft tall. Kind of unusual for a woman. :) On the facebook forums, 10% is the *law...lol I was so relieved to see a wider variety of opinions here.

I'm going to finish revising my current packing list and then post it for help.

Thanks again, everyone.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I think that the 10% "rule" is also a bit more difficult for those who weigh under 150 lbs or so, just because there are things that you have to carry, regardless of your size. I think I carried over 12% of my body weight, but had no problem with it at all.

Last edited:
My opinion would really be based upon what is included in your lbs. March can be quite cold so if it layers for the cold then maybe, although i would not want to carry a pack that weighed that much. If it is "what if" items that aren't really needed, then I would tell you to leave them at home. If you want to post a packing list, our comments might be more helpful.

That whole 10% rule about pack weight is nonsense. Just make your pack as light as possible.
Don't know what your total pack contents are, but I would guess you can shave off a bit of weight by carrying 1 liter of water as opposed to 1-1/2 liter. Cooler weather Camino and lots of places to refill and replenish. You don't need to carry more than a liter.
Don't carry "what if's" or "just in case's".

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I probably need to cut some clothes...It is hard to know what to bring when it could be quite warm...or freezing cold.

I probably need to cut some clothes...It is hard to know what to bring when it could be quite warm...or freezing cold.

Anything that is in the pack "because maaaaybe you will need" probably could stay home. Take the things you are sure you will need and have credit card/cash with you. If you really miss something, stop on the next town and buy it.
But as people said before, organize a list and post on the forum, member will be able to help more specifically.

I'm a small person (1,58m, 52kg/115 pounds) and I did my Frances in Spanish Spring. Backpack was 5kg (11 pounds).

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Hi there
The 10% or 15% is a guideline, more importantly what can you carry? How good is your pack? What practice have you had with it?
We had Macpac packs from New Zealand with liberator harness this means weight is not on shoulders but on hips. Our packs were fitted to our back length and his worked for us when we walked last year in May and June. We are both mid 50's I am 5'8" and carried 13kgs easily although next time (hopefully 2018) I may lighten this or alter the contents slightly (one camino tells you what is important to preserve your own little happiness aura). My husband Paul is 6' 3" and carried 17 kgs and said he didn't even know it weighed this much. Practice walks can never be under-rated. Good luck #so envious :D

If an item can do 2 jobs it is good, eg longjohns and long sleeve vest for cold evenings double as pyjamas. I carry one complete set of clothes, wear the other. There is room in my pack for the fleece I am 'wearing' as well as the second one. I can wear both if needed.
If you look at your pack with these sort of ideas then you might find you can tweak the items 'needed' or 'just in case'.
I can carry that 10% - just - on a hot day, ie wearing minimum of clothes with the rest in the pack . Total weight including clothes worn and contents of pockets, small camera is approx 15%. It is just a guide as to where to aim and for what might be comfortable.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
When my wife and I walked, unhurriedly by the way, we carried more than we absolutely needed, as what you really need is almost nothing except an ATM card, and even that is optional, as we saw people walking with pretty much nothing. Carry what you want, discard what you don't want and just enjoy the trip. We took over sixty days stopping wherever we wanted for a couple of days and our longest walk was about fourteen miles. So what, we walked slowly and turned around and looked behind us a lot. Some people measure their camino in how fast they did it. Others only walk a part at a time. Some people make connections. Some people are solitary, although that seems a bit difficult in a steady stream of hikers in September. And some people take cabs and busses for part of the way. Some are religious and some aren't. Just be yourself and adapt as you go. It's only a walk in the country, and city

Anything that is in the pack "because maaaaybe you will need" probably could stay home. Take the things you are sure you will need and have credit card/cash with you. If you really miss something, stop on the next town and buy it.
But as people said before, organize a list and post on the forum, member will be able to help more specifically.

I'm a small person (1,58m, 52kg/115 pounds) and I did my Frances in Spanish Spring. Backpack was 5kg (11 pounds).

Can I see your packing list? I'm wondering if I should use a lush bar or something to cut some weight, too. I've got two bottles of sea to summit...one that is shampoo/conditioner and one that is body/clothes wash.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
When my wife and I walked, unhurriedly by the way, we carried more than we absolutely needed, as what you really need is almost nothing except an ATM card, and even that is optional, as we saw people walking with pretty much nothing. Carry what you want, discard what you don't want and just enjoy the trip. We took over sixty days stopping wherever we wanted for a couple of days and our longest walk was about fourteen miles. So what, we walked slowly and turned around and looked behind us a lot. Some people measure their camino in how fast they did it. Others only walk a part at a time. Some people make connections. Some people are solitary, although that seems a bit difficult in a steady stream of hikers in September. And some people take cabs and busses for part of the way. Some are religious and some aren't. Just be yourself and adapt as you go. It's only a walk in the country, and city

One of the reasons I targeted March is because I'm really hoping for the solitary experience. I'm not anti social at all. I'm just a busy mom of 7 who rarely gets to string two thoughts together without being interrupted. I want to be able to sit under a tree and read for 30 minutes uninterrupted while I rest my feet. Stop in every church where it is still...and just sit.

Hi there
The 10% or 15% is a guideline, more importantly what can you carry? How good is your pack? What practice have you had with it?
We had Macpac packs from New Zealand with liberator harness this means weight is not on shoulders but on hips. Our packs were fitted to our back length and his worked for us when we walked last year in May and June. We are both mid 50's I am 5'8" and carried 13kgs easily although next time (hopefully 2018) I may lighten this or alter the contents slightly (one camino tells you what is important to preserve your own little happiness aura). My husband Paul is 6' 3" and carried 17 kgs and said he didn't even know it weighed this much. Practice walks can never be under-rated. Good luck #so envious :D

I've got a Deuter 35+10. I went 3 separate times to REI to try on packs and always ended up with that one. I walked some steep switchbacks once with it in 50 degree weather and the pack had about 5kg in it...and I didn't even notice the pack, to be honest with you.

If an item can do 2 jobs it is good, eg longjohns and long sleeve vest for cold evenings double as pyjamas. I carry one complete set of clothes, wear the other. There is room in my pack for the fleece I am 'wearing' as well as the second one. I can wear both if needed.
If you look at your pack with these sort of ideas then you might find you can tweak the items 'needed' or 'just in case'.
I can carry that 10% - just - on a hot day, ie wearing minimum of clothes with the rest in the pack . Total weight including clothes worn and contents of pockets, small camera is approx 15%. It is just a guide as to where to aim and for what might be comfortable.

Some of the extra weight I have is clothes. I chose rain pants and a rain jacket because with a fleece and a base layer I need it to double as snow gear in case it is cold in O Cebreiro. I have 2 complete outfits (bottoms/base layer bottom/base layer top/fleece)...but each one includes both a short and a long sleeved shirt...I might need to double them up...or just use one if it turns out to be sunny and mid 50s in Galicia. And I ....ummmm...run hot at night, and I cannot bear the thought of being sweaty at night and then walking in those same clothes. So I have some light weight sleeping clothes. But I may see if I can reduce the weight of those...I weighed them on my kitchen scale last night and it came to almost a lb.

I probably should mention that the idea of buying clothes in Spain is just terrifying to me. I am very tall. And I have a 36 inch inseam. It is extremely difficult to find clothes that fit properly.

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hi Eve - good question and some pretty good answers too! What could be helpful to remember is that any rules are invented, they aren't real ... there is no specific pack weight ratio (though it is absolutely true that the lighter the better) and there are no "day stages" to keep up with ... the Camino is just a continuous road ... walk along it, stop when tired, and forget day stages. Those guide books are actually that, guide books, not rule books ....
same with the 10% - it is a pretty good guide but fails (mentioned above) when you start looking at the size and weight of individual people .... I do first aid out there and a common problem is caused by pilgrims having ridiculously heavy packs as the constant addition of that weight to each foot strike can be really debilitating. Also, when one has a heavy pack the natural tendency is to lean forward to counter balance the weight but this puts harsh tension on the muscles and ligaments at the front of the legs, all the way down - et Voila! shin splints ... so, yes, pack light, and, yes, take what you need not what you think you might need - and, importantly, learn how to fit the pack properly to your body - but don't over think or over worry this ..... if your pack is too heavy you will discard items at refugios along the way until it is light enough for you -
- so, no rules, only guides, and - enjoy it all!!

p.s. I did my first Camino in March, from Moissac, and apart from snow and wind going over to Roncesvalles when I wore everything I had, it was never cold once and only rained gently twice - do you want to carry extra gear all the way just in case?? you know, if it looks like it is going to be cold ahead as the ground rises you could pop into a shop and buy extra cheap clothing then discard it afterwards :)

Last edited:
... I've got two bottles of sea to summit...one that is shampoo/conditioner and one that is body/clothes wash.

You don't need the separate body/clothes wash, just use the shampoo/conditioner for everything ;-) Buen Camino, SY

We are 66(me) and 65 respectively and our backpacks ...well needed a diet. Mine with food (I'm a diabetic) and water weighed in between 15-18 kgs. depending on the amount of food and water we carried. We both had 65L backpacks and we trekked from Sept-Nov. 2016, which means we carried some extra cold weather clothing not needed in the summer months. We will be doing the Camino Norte' this fall, much wiser this time, but we will be using our new 48L and 38L backpacks. Smaller packs = smaller load. My advice to you is to pack your bag with everything you "think" you will need, strap it on and walk 24K - 30K and see how you feel. I will tell you this, I "donated" clothes and footwear along the way to lighten my load because once my wife broke a bone in her foot early on, my load increased dramatically. It is not uncommon to find "donated" clothing along the trail, monasteries or alburgues for those looking to lighten their load. I was once told, pack everything you think you need and then take out half of it. The 10% rule works, my pack would have been half the weight if I followed it. Buen Camino !

P.S. go to walmart in the sporting goods section and there you can buy a fish weighing scale . It has a hook on the end to hang your pack from to weigh. About $10 for it.

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Some of the extra weight I have is clothes. I chose rain pants and a rain jacket because with a fleece and a base layer I need it to double as snow gear in case it is cold in O Cebreiro. I have 2 complete outfits (bottoms/base layer bottom/base layer top/fleece)...but each one includes both a short and a long sleeved shirt...I might need to double them up...or just use one if it turns out to be sunny and mid 50s in Galicia. And I ....ummmm...run hot at night, and I cannot bear the thought of being sweaty at night and then walking in those same clothes. So I have some light weight sleeping clothes. But I may see if I can reduce the weight of those...I weighed them on my kitchen scale last night and it came to almost a lb.

I probably should mention that the idea of buying clothes in Spain is just terrifying to me. I am very tall. And I have a 36 inch inseam. It is extremely difficult to find clothes that fit properly.
I have merino wool base layer, top and bottoms, and a merino wool jumper. Can be expensive but never get smelly, wash once a year. Special properties make them ideal for the c camino. Also following a friends good advice I have a large poncho that covers my bag and most of me. Plenty of places have washing and drying facilities. I am not taking a change of clothes. My friend did it from France in spring with 5k lo bag, including sleeping bag.

Last edited:
I have merino wool base layer, top and bottoms, and a merino wool jumper. Can be expensive but never get smelly, wash once a year. Special properties make them ideal for the c camino. Also following a friends good advice I have a large poncho that covers my bag and most of me. Plenty of places have washing and drying facilities. I am not taking a change of clothes. My friend did it from France in spring with 5th lo bag, including sleeping bag.

What's a jumper?

I began walking in April, and it was pretty chilly. I took only one fleece, as I always wore it over layers, so I didn't have to wash it often. And I wore it most days at the beginning of my walk. There were days I did wear almost everything in my clothes bag, and it was fine.

A favorite quote of mine from this forum (maybe it was from Mspath?) "We pack our fears".

My pack was about 12 lb and I still had stuff I didn't need. So I do agree, post your pack!
Buen Camino!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I began walking in April, and it was pretty chilly. I took only one fleece, as I always wore it over layers, so I didn't have to wash it often. And I wore it most days at the beginning of my walk. There were days I did wear almost everything in my clothes bag, and it was fine.

A favorite quote of mine from this forum (maybe it was from Mspath?) "We pack our fears".

My pack was about 12 lb and I still had stuff I didn't need. So I do agree, post your pack!
Buen Camino!

Oh man...we pack our fears? Ugh..yeah, that might be me. I'm weird about clothes, having hard such a hard time finding clothes that fit properly over the years (Tall stores were a rarity until the last 10 years).

I'm going to pack it up and step on the scale with and without and I'll be back later to post my list.

What's a jumper?
A woolly pullover or button up top with long sleeves as @Verity says.
I never sleep in my next days clothes, but wear my (thermal) underwear during the evening and then that night, I carry a second set next for evening..... Each set - top and leggings - weighs 140gms. To ease the washing I usually just carefully rinse underarm and crotch for a few times before the whole lot needs a full wash. I also (May caminos) have a very light travel dress (180gms) that I can wear with the top and leggings or a shirt and that can double up as a nightie.

OK, here's the list. It is 8 kg...not counting the stuff I would be wearing/carrying

Not in the pack (assuming I'm wearing these)
Altra Lone Peak Mids 13.3 oz
Altra Gators 1.3 oz
poles
travel belt with the obvious
fleece
buff
1 bra/1 underwear
1 toe socks/1 smartwool socks
1 hiking pants
short sleeve base layer
base layer pants
long sleeve base layer top

Deuter ACT 35+10
Xero sandals 6 oz
safety pins
led teeny flashlight
head lamp
compeed/tape/a few pain reliever pills/script medicines/inhaler
rain cover
sleeping bag liner plus costco quilt
journal/pen
kindle
phone
plug converter/two charging cords
gloves
rain jacket
rain pants
sun hat
sunglasses/contacts
tp
ear plugs
pareo
moisturizer sunscreen sample size
shampoo/cond in one
body wash/laundry soap in one
travel razor/travel toothbrush/travel paste
1 bra
2 underwear
2 smart wool socks
2 toe socks
1 ltweight wool sock (for night)
vaseline travel size
macabi skirt
short sleeve baselayer
long sleeve baselayer
base layer pants
lt weight top for dinner
pj pants

@Eve Alexandra Another thought as you cull your fears from your pack is how much more freedom you will enjoy by not having to "keep up" with stuff, dig thru stuff, or make decisions between wearing "this or that". The weight is a huge factor, but so is the freedom of having whittled your load down to necessities. As others have said, the answer to fewer garments is layering.

I would at least leave the following items at home:

led teeny flashlight
head lamp
kindle + its charger - (if you have a smartphone, use the Kindle App for this)
body wash/laundry soap in one - use the shampoo/conditioner for everything
travel razor
1 ltweight wool sock (for night) - no need for night socks, just use the ones you are planning to wear next day
lt weight top for dinner - no need for extra dinner clothes
pj pants

Buen Camino, SY

@Eve Alexandra :And using gear for two occasions : a base layer trouser can also be your pj.
Why the long sleeved base layer and the light weight top for dinner : one is enough.

I would at least leave the following items at home:

led teeny flashlight
head lamp
kindle + its charger - (if you have a smartphone, use the Kindle App for this)
body wash/laundry soap in one - use the shampoo/conditioner for everything
travel razor
1 ltweight wool sock (for night) - no need for night socks, just use the ones you are planning to wear next day
lt weight top for dinner - no need for extra dinner clothes
pj pants

Buen Camino, SY

I didn't have a head lamp planned. But then I realize I may need to start at 6:30 ish to walk 20-25 km when there are less daylight hours. I plan on walking slowly. I'll be there before and after daylight savings. Sunrise is 7:30 and then almost 8:30 am. Still no headlamp?

Check out this weather website for weather along the Camino from past years during the time period you will be there: https://www.wunderground.com/
That way you will get somewhat of an idea what to expect.
Your pack list looks okay to me, and that Deuter backpack looks like a good choice. The only thing I would recommend dumping are the pj pants. No need for pj's in the albergues. If you get cold just wear your base layer pants to sleep in.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
OK, here's the list. It is 8 kg...not counting the stuff I would be wearing/carrying

Not in the pack (assuming I'm wearing these)
Altra Lone Peak Mids 13.3 oz
Altra Gators 1.3 oz
poles
travel belt with the obvious
fleece
buff
1 bra/1 underwear
1 toe socks/1 smartwool socks
1 hiking pants
short sleeve base layer
base layer pants
long sleeve base layer top

Deuter ACT 35+10
Xero sandals 6 oz
safety pins
led teeny flashlight
head lamp
compeed/tape/a few pain reliever pills/script medicines/inhaler
rain cover
sleeping bag liner plus costco quilt
journal/pen
kindle
phone
plug converter/two charging cords
gloves
rain jacket
rain pants
sun hat
sunglasses/contacts
tp
ear plugs
pareo
moisturizer sunscreen sample size
shampoo/cond in one
body wash/laundry soap in one
travel razor/travel toothbrush/travel paste
1 bra
2 underwear
2 smart wool socks
2 toe socks
1 ltweight wool sock (for night)
vaseline travel size
macabi skirt
short sleeve baselayer
long sleeve baselayer
base layer pants
lt weight top for dinner
pj pants

I would not take both extra hiking pants and macabi. I chose Macabi for evenings last time as the Macabi was great for after shower.

You have two base layer pants so I would leave single use sleep pants at home. Also you can sleep in one pair of your hiking socks and eliminate your sleep socks

One extra under pants is enuf for me.

I'd use a phone app for flashlight rather than a separate small light.

The long sleeve top for dinner should not be a dedicated item. I walk in my long sleeve button up camp shirt and it is also a "wrap" for evenings.

Just my 2 cents.....
Cherie

Check out this weather website for weather along the Camino from past years during the time period you will be there: https://www.wunderground.com/
That way you will get somewhat of an idea what to expect.
Your pack list looks okay to me, and that Deuter backpack looks like a good choice. The only thing I would recommend dumping are the pj pants. No need for pj's in the albergues. If you get cold just wear your base layer pants to sleep in.

I've been tracking the weather in several places on my phone, and I also looked up the average times of sunrise/sunset and average temps for March as well. It could be snowy and bitterly cold in O Cebriero...and a week later it could be sunny and 50's in Galicia.

I would not take both extra hiking pants and macabi. I chose Macabi for evenings last time as the Macabi was great for after shower.

You have two base layer pants so I would leave single use sleep pants at home. Also you can sleep in one pair of your hiking socks and eliminate your sleep socks

One extra under pants is enuf for me.

I'd use a phone app for flashlight rather than a separate small light.

The long sleeve top for dinner should not be a dedicated item. I walk in my long sleeve button up camp shirt and it is also a "wrap" for evenings.

Just my 2 cents.....
Cherie

Did I list 2 pair of pants plus skirt? It is one of each, total.

I've been tracking the weather in several places on my phone, and I also looked up the average times of sunrise/sunset and average temps for March as well. It could be snowy and bitterly cold in O Cebriero...and a week later it could be sunny and 50's in Galicia.

So yes layering is the best option.
I will be walking appr. in the same period.
My layering is :
one short sleeved Merino
one long sleeved Merino
a thin fleece
a rain jacket. And trousers of course ;)
Hopefully able to peel one or two layers off during the day.

Last edited:
Yeah, no way to predict it. By looking up on that website the past weather for 2-3 years back in the various places on the Camino route, you can get an average idea what to expect. Not set in stone, mind you, but helps a little bit in planning.

All the base layer tops are made to fit so tight. I think I would be uncomfortable in public in them by themselves. That is why I planned for a rayon top for dinner times....what is everyone else wearing in the evenings?

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Oh I forgot to mention kindle. I'd leave that at home and use kindle app on phone.

Re head lamp....I didn't take mine and wished I had, so I can see where that could be helpful in March. My ideal leaving time is about 7:15. I went in Sept/Oct and 7:15 was plenty light in Sept but I found I had to wait until about 8:15 by mid October. Not so good.

So yes layering is the best option.
I will be walking appr. in the same period.
My layering is :
one short sleeved Merino
one long sleeved MErino
a thin fleece
a rain jacket. And trousers of course ;)
Hopefully able to peel one or two layers off during the day.

This is exactly what I'm planning. Are you bringing two sets or one?

All the base layer tops are made to fit so tight. I think I would be uncomfortable in public in them by themselves. That is why I planned for a rayon top for dinner times....what is everyone else wearing in the evenings?

Please do not worry about the " made to fit ". You will be ok! Everyone is too tired anyway to look at you. ;). Comfort and weight comes before being fashionable.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Oh I forgot to mention kindle. I'd leave that at home and use kindle app on phone.

Re head lamp....I didn't take mine and wished I had, so I can see where that could be helpful in March. My ideal leaving time is about 7:15. I went in Sept/Oct and 7:15 was plenty light in Sept but I found I had to wait until about 8:15 by mid October. Not so good.

I finally decided that I'd rather get up early for the ability to walk slowly than to feel rushed. Plus someone sent me a gorgeous pic of sunrise and I got to thinking being up at sunrise would be lovely. :)

So the head lamp was a last minute purchase. It weights 4 oz including the batteries. I'm really hesitant to leave that at home, given I'm likely going to be taking a slow pace.

I finally decided that I'd rather get up early for the ability to walk slowly than to feel rushed. Plus someone sent me a gorgeous pic of sunrise and I got to thinking being up at sunrise would be lovely. :)

So the head lamp was a last minute purchase. It weights 4 oz including the batteries. I'm really hesitant to leave that at home, given I'm likely going to be taking a slow pace.
KEEP THE HEADLAMP ... lol, you won't regret it !

€60,-

I think you should for safety sake. One morning I ventured out before light when a large group of head light wearers set out, What I didn't realize was how fast they were going to go and I had to either hurry my pace to keep up or let them leave me in the dust (and dark). I let them go on and practically quit walking for fear of tripping or missing arrows.

Rather similar, overall. A bit less clothes. I will look at that. I think I may just try to sleep in my merino bottom base layers and see how it goes. Maybe it won't be as awful as I imagine. :p

It really is not awful. Trust me you will be fine. Everyone will be looking at the guys in their speedos anyway...just kidding:)

The only clothes I ever carried on the Camino was the clothes I walked in, so I always just wore the "clean" set from my pack as the other set was hanging to dry outside, or if dry, already in my pack. I had no specific clothing for not walking times, dinner, etc.
Being that you are walking the Camino in early spring, I'd say you will be wearing your fleece top a lot in the evenings. I know I would that time of year.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
The only clothes I ever carried on the Camino was the clothes I walked in, so I always just wore the "clean" set from my pack as the other set was hanging to dry outside, or if dry, already in my pack. I had no specific clothing for not walking times, dinner, etc.
Being that you are walking the Camino in early spring, I'd say you will be wearing your fleece top a lot in the evenings. I know I would that time of year.

Hmmm...if I plan on wearing my fleece in a restaurant I won't feel quite so uncomfortable in a tight fitting merino shirt. Is it hot in restaurants there like it is here?

Apparently you did not. My mistake and I apologize.

I looked at my list and it was sort of vague between the pants and the base layers...prolly the confusion. I'm waiting on my macabi skirt to arrive. If I like it as much as I suspect I will, I'm knocking around the idea of buying another and dropping pants altogether. It looks more comfortable to me.

Hmmm...if I plan on wearing my fleece in a restaurant I won't feel quite so uncomfortable in a tight fitting merino shirt. Is it hot in restaurants there like it is here?

You will be comfortable in the fleece. Take into consideration that you will cool down after several hours of walking.

Temperatures in the restos are ok, not too hot or too cold imho.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
In my opinion the whole concept of a "10% of body weight" rule is a nonsense. So many factors mean that it must be altered that it becomes pointless. Are you a very small person? - then you probably carry a greater percentage. Are you walking in winter? - then you will need heavier clothing and sleeping bag. Do you feel cold more than most people? Do you have special medical needs? I pack what I believe is necessary for the route and the weather I expect to find. I do not weigh my pack or compare it with some abstract figure. If I did so and found it was 13% of my body weight what would I then leave behind: sleeping bag? waterproof clothing? first aid kit? spare clothing? All these things are in my pack because I believe they are necessary for my safe journey. Pack what you will need - leave what is unnecessary behind. To base your packing decisions around an arbitrary figure is to put the cart before the horse.

You will be comfortable in the fleece. Take into consideration that you will cool down after several hours of walking.

Temperatures in the restos are ok, not too hot or too cold imho.

OK, I'll drop the evening top in favor of the fleece. That works. I could use the pareo as a shawl over a tighter fit top as well, if it is oddly warm.

I'm going to finish my toast and tea with my little one and then take a few bits out and see where I'm at. Thank you!

Eve, March is my favorite time to walk...company if you want it and solitude if you don't.
And you're right: the weather can be all over the place. It can be warm and sunny one day and snowing the next. So layers are important. What those need to be depends on how you relate to cold, because early mornings in March can be very chilly.
Others have said what to leave behind from your list, so I don't need to say more about that. But I would definitely add something: a buff or a merino beanie to keep your head warm on those cold mornings.
Gloves should be merino or heavier wool; I found fleece to be useless.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Eve, March is my favorite time to walk...company if you want it and solitude if you don't.
And you're right: the weather can be all over the place. It can be warm and sunny one day and snowing the next. So layers are important. What those need to be depends on how you relate to cold, because early mornings in March can be very chilly.
Others have said what to leave behind from your list, so I don't need to say more about that. But I would definitely add something: a buff or a merino beanie to keep your head warm on those cold mornings.
Gloves should be merino or heavier wool; I found fleece to be useless.

I've got a buff. I'm planning on wearing it every day. Figuring it'll cover my ears and keep the hair out of my face and if its super windy I'll use it to cover the lower half of my face.

I've got a pair of tech winter running gloves that I love and don't seem to weigh too much. When I've practiced walking outside, I seem to want them at least for the first hour if the temp is 30 F or less.

I took off my beanie in favor of a sun hat. But I've no clue which will be more likely to be necessary in March. And I didn't want to bring both...

I looked at my list and it was sort of vague between the pants and the base layers...prolly the confusion. I'm waiting on my macabi skirt to arrive. If I like it as much as I suspect I will, I'm knocking around the idea of buying another and dropping pants altogether. It looks more comfortable to me.

Maybe not a bad choice. Many women walk in them and love them. I love them for travel (flights, train, auto) but feared I would get tripped up in all that fabric, were I to hike in one. I am a fanatic about pockets and having recently lost weight making my favorite hiking pants too large, opted to cut one of my (gulp) four Macabi's off to knee length. I LOVE this new freedom. I don't need a belt and I don't have to undo the drawstring for a quick stop, which is a big plus when in a hurry. For my daily walks, I am wearing a base layer under. Taking a light weight pair of biking shorts for when the temp gets too warm for the base layer. (Added that item when I found that adjusting my pack sometimes resulted in hiking up the skirt).

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Maybe not a bad choice. Many women walk in them and love them. I love them for travel (flights, train, auto) but feared I would get tripped up in all that fabric, were I to hike in one. I am a fanatic about pockets and having recently lost weight making my favorite hiking pants too large, opted to cut one of my (gulp) four Macabi's off to knee length. I LOVE this new freedom. I don't need a belt and I don't have to undo the drawstring for a quick stop, which is a big plus when in a hurry. For my daily walks, I am wearing a base layer under. Taking a light weight pair of biking shorts for when the temp gets too warm for the base layer. (Added that item when I found that adjusting my pack sometimes resulted in hiking up the skirt).

I ordered the slim skirt and I am quite tall, so I think the length won't be nearly as awkward on me as it is on some. I could easily see myself using that sort of funky capri pant option with merino base layer under it...or my other set which is underarmor cold gear for the snowy days. I'm guessing I won't need a pair of bike shorts in March. Is that unwise? Hmmmm...now that I think about it, if it were 50 degrees I might prefer that...and they could double as sleep shorts! :D

I just replied on the altus poncho/rainpants thread about skirts and raingear...I don't take pants and love the freedom of walking in a skirt.
Very strong wind can be interesting but fortunately it doesn't happen so much. :oops:;)
[Edit: I take nylon undies that go down the thigh a bit to use on cold days...if you have those, yes, ditch the bike shorts]

With a buff you should be fine without the beanie. You'll definitely need the sun hat though, so that's a good call.
Those gloves sound great; just test them to make sure they work if it's wet.

I walked in driving rain for a couple of hours one day, testing my shoes, gloves, rain jacket, etc...The gloves were awesome. And only about 10 bucks at costco, to boot. I do own silk liners, but I figured that would be overkill. Glad to know the sun hat was the right option. I almost left that out!

€60,-
I didn't have a head lamp planned. But then I realize I may need to start at 6:30 ish to walk 20-25 km when there are less daylight hours. I plan on walking slowly. I'll be there before and after daylight savings. Sunrise is 7:30 and then almost 8:30 am. Still no headlamp?

I never take one and I am a slow walker also, at least at the beginning ;-) In many places/big towns you can start early as there are street lamps, in smaller places I always wait until there is enough light and I am anyway not a morning person. In March you have appr. 11 hours of daylight, see f.e. here http://www.timebie.com/sun/burgoses.php
11 hours are normally enough to walk 20-25 km ;-) Buen Camino, SY

I just replied on the altus poncho/rainpants thread about skirts and raingear...I don't take pants and love the freedom of walking in a skirt.
Very strong wind can be interesting but fortunately it doesn't happen so much. :oops:;)
[Edit: I take nylon undies that go down the thigh a bit to use on cold days...if you have those, yes, ditch the bike shorts]

Oh goodness! It just dawned on me! Rain pants are dumb if I'm in a skirt! Do I just not worry about the bottom then?

I use a black trash bag with the bottom slit open to wear over the skirt--it looks incredibly dumb but works great!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I never take one and I am a slow walker also, at least at the beginning ;-) In many places/big towns you can start early as there are street lamps, in smaller places I always wait until there is enough light and I am anyway not a morning person. In March you have appr. 11 hours of daylight, see f.e. here http://www.timebie.com/sun/burgoses.php
11 hours are normally enough to walk 20-25 km ;-) Buen Camino, SY

OK, so we take our fears with us, right? My other fear is that Im going to be an utter failure at long distance walking. The worst I can imagine is 8 hours for 20 km...assuming lots of stops to rest. If I leave at 8, I'm not arriving till after siesta time, and I'm worried about having enough time to shower/eat/get to mass, or even just rest before bed...

What if 25 km takes me 10 hours! Sigh...

I'm not terribly out of shape. Just average. I can walk 5 km in an hour easily on flat ground at home. But I never do long distance walking. I've been doing 5-6 miles on and off with no trouble, and once or twice did 8 miles . Then one day I ventured out and walked 10 miles in 3.5 hours. And man was I sore. I have since learned that was too fast and I didn't take any breaks. Still, it scared me....

You can save almost half a pound by cutting the width of your Costco comforter to the same width as your silk liner. Then tuck it inside the liner when you sleep. I would sew two lines of stitching about a quarter inch apart then cut down the middle of them to avoid allowing too much down out. Then sew seam binding along the raw edge.
I used a 7 ounce down blanket that was about the width of my silk liner, and it was perfect tucked inside.

Oh goodness! It just dawned on me! Rain pants are dumb if I'm in a skirt! Do I just not worry about the bottom then?

I put my rain pants under my skirt just like the base layer. Not trying to make a fashion statement. Pants keep the water from my boots and serve as wind break.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
You can save almost half a pound by cutting the width of your Costco comforter to the same width as your silk liner. Then tuck it inside the liner when you sleep. I would sew two lines of stitching about a quarter inch apart then cut down the middle of them to avoid allowing too much down out. Then sew seam binding along the raw edge.
I used a 7 ounce down blanket that was about the width of my silk liner, and it was perfect tucked inside.

So it was one layer of down quilt inside the liner, instead of 2? Am I following you right?

OK, so we take our fears with us, right? My other fear is that Im going to be an utter failure at long distance walking. The worst I can imagine is 8 hours for 20 km...assuming lots of stops to rest. If I leave at 8, I'm not arriving till after siesta time, and I'm worried about having enough time to shower/eat/get to mass, or even just rest before bed...

I'm not terribly out of shape. Just average. I can walk 5 km in an hour easily on flat ground at home. But I never do long distance walking. I've been doing 5-6 miles on and off with no trouble, and once or twice did 8 miles . Then one day I ventured out and walked 10 miles in 3.5 hours. And man was I sore. I have since learned that was too fast and I didn't take any breaks. Still, it scared me....

I'm sure that you can walk a lot farther than 20 km in 8 hours. That's a pace of only about 1.5 mph! You also have the advantage of long legs.

I put my rain pants under my skirt just like the base layer. Not trying to make a fashion statement. Pants keep the water from my boots and serve as wind break.

Oh! Well that makes sense... Ok, thanks for the explanation.

I ordered the slim skirt and I am quite tall, so I think the length won't be nearly as awkward on me as it is on some. I could easily see myself using that sort of funky capri pant option with merino base layer under it...or my other set which is underarmor cold gear for the snowy days. I'm guessing I won't need a pair of bike shorts in March. Is that unwise? Hmmmm...now that I think about it, if it were 50 degrees I might prefer that...and they could double as sleep shorts! :D

I'm walking from mid April to last part of May so I am preparing for warmer temps. Also not taking anything else. No other hiking pants and no other Macabi.

Yes, just on top of me. Not necessary underneath.

Ok, I'll take a look at that when it gets here. It shipped today. I added a lb to the weight estimate of my pack because I don't have it yet. That could work well, I think. thanks!

Still, it scared me....
I seriously doubt you'll be a failure, Eve!
Not to worry. The first week is training for everyone, whether we've trained or not--and it requires a certain amount of patience with discomfort. But after a while you'll find that you've become naturally stronger and faster. Pace yourself and you'll do fine.

I'm walking from mid April to last part of May so I am preparing for warmer temps. Also not taking anything else. No other hiking pants and no other Macabi.

One skirt plus base layer total? What if it tears or something?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
One skirt plus base layer total? What if it tears or something?

No what if's, but as a matter of practicality there are my base layer and bike shorts (both if necessary) between me and the world. Don't worry; I have no intention of subjecting the world to my 70 year old scrawny rear. :p

No what if's, but as a matter of practicality there are my base layer and bike shorts (both if necessary) between me and the world. Don't worry; I have no intention of subjecting the world to my 70 year old scrawny rear. :p

lol. 70? Oh my gosh, from your pick I thought you were at least 20 years younger. Hiking must be good for keeping one young. :)

That said I don't think I can bring myself to bring less than 2 bottoms, total. I'm not quite there yet. :)

... My other fear is that Im going to be an utter failure at long distance walking. The worst I can imagine is 8 hours for 20 km...assuming lots of stops to rest. If I leave at 8, I'm not arriving till after siesta time, and I'm worried about having enough time to shower/eat/get to mass, or even just rest before bed...

The trick is to start slowly ;-) Don't rush your speed! Many of us, me included, have never done any long distance hiking before our first Camino and we still made it!. Buen Camino, SY

The trick is to start slowly ;-) Don't rush your speed! Many of us, me included, have never done any long distance hiking before our first Camino and we still made it!. Buen Camino, SY

That's my plan. But does start slowly mean to make my first days shorter, or just walk slower? Or both? Dumb question I know, but I have not seen an answer to this on the fb groups I'm on at all.

In my case both. Just start the day with a bit of stretching and then start walking slowly until you have warmed up. Also helps to prevent injuries. But really, try to not to over-think things, it all will fall into place once you are on the way. More than 250,000 pilgrims arrived last year in Santiago, if they made it, why shouldn't you make it? BC SY

That's my plan. But does start slowly mean to make my first days shorter, or just walk slower? Or both? Dumb question I know, but I have not seen an answer to this on the fb groups I'm on at all.

To me "start slowly" means "do not have preset places to stop"! Just walk until you don't want to do it anymore.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
lol. 70? Oh my gosh, from your pick I thought you were at least 20 years younger. Hiking must be good for keeping one young. :)

That said I don't think I can bring myself to bring less than 2 bottoms, total. I'm not quite there yet. :)

Well thank you. The pic was eleven months ago so I was only 69.

Never a bad idea to have one extra IMO. This only taking one may deny me that restful after shower feeling of getting away from my hiking clothes for a few hours. It is an experiment for sure.

In my case both. Just start the day with a bit of stretching and then start walking slowly until you have warmed up. Also helps to prevent injuries. But really, try to not to over-think things, it all will fall into place once you are on the way. More than 250,000 pilgrims arrived last year in Santiago, if they made it, why shouldn't you make it? BC SY

Because most people don't seem to have a deadline for a flight...that's what has got me so worried about it. I'm basically in a spot where I need to walk about 25 km a day to not have to take a bus. Astorga to Santiago. Walk March 17-28...hoping for 2 nights in Santiago but reconciled to only 1 if necessary (fly out on the 30th). I probably should have planned to start further in, but I didn't want to miss Vespers at Rabanal. I may have to bus from Molinaseca to Villafranca to make it doable.

I dropped 1 lb with some of your suggestions. The rest I'm going to wait until a few bits arrive (like seeing if I want to cut down my Costco quilt)...and adding in a lightweight pair of bike shorts for both sleeping and walking under my skirt if the weather is nice...and looking into dropping some of the soaps...And I read in Packing Tips about dropping contacts (mine are dailies)...I may do that if I can get a lightweight pair of prescription sunglasses to switch back and forth....

Not going without my kindle, y'all. I have all these lovely images in my head of reading under a tree when I rest. And my camino guide is on kindle too. I am too old to read for enjoyment on my phone. :p

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I dropped 1 lb with some of your suggestions. The rest I'm going to wait until a few bits arrive (like seeing if I want to cut down my Costco quilt)...and adding in a lightweight pair of bike shorts for both sleeping and walking under my skirt if the weather is nice...and looking into dropping some of the soaps...And I read in Packing Tips about dropping contacts (mine are dailies)...I may do that if I can get a lightweight pair of prescription sunglasses to switch back and forth....

Not going without my kindle, y'all. I have all these lovely images in my head of reading under a tree when I rest. And my camino guide is on kindle too. I am too old to read for enjoyment on my phone. :p

Not wanting to burst your bubble but without distance walking experience, being tired after a 10 mile walk and a >15 mi goal for day after day, there won't be much reading for enjoyment.

Or resting under a tree I fear...might be too cold for that so early in the year..

Sigh...well I can still rest in a bar with a coffee and a book? Thats fun too...My solitary camino plan is church and my books. I've got a guide to the history of the Camino, town by town, on it. My Thomas Merton book...My bible...My Village to Village Guide...Austen and Bronte and Canterbury Tales (I'm flying to London for a week after Santiago, to visit Canterbury and Bath and Westerminster Abbey). I can't leave it at home.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

I see this on your list, for what you're wearing, and also extras in your pack:
short sleeve baselayer
long sleeve baselayer

But I don't see any "regular" shirts. Maybe it's just a semantics thing here, but by "short sleeve baselayer", do you mean something like a close fitting merino top? So are you going to wear the long sleeve baselayer first, with the short sleeve baselayer on top? Sorry, not sure I get that - I'm confused?

My suggestion for "shoulder season" hiking (my general layering solution) is, from skin out:
long-sleeve silk (lightweight) base
then a long-sleeve merino base (midweight)
then a short-sleeve (roomier) tech shirt on top
then a featherweight wind shell (like the Patagonia Houdini)

I have rarely worn all of that at one time while carrying a pack, but some combination of those 4 layers gives me maximum flexibility and temperature control. For example, on really cool days I'm comfy in the just the silk base or the merino base under just the tech tee.

(Now every's different of course, but I heat up very quickly when I hike. I have rarely ever been able to stand wearing a fleece with a pack on. When I stop hiking, I cool off very quickly, regardless of the season. I always need my fleece after I take my pack off.)

If you are uncomfortable wearing your long-sleeve base merino as outerwear alone, then having a roomier short-sleeve tech shirt to wear over it solves the problem.

Great things about skirt hiking are skirts don't need to be laundered nearly as often as pants, they are more durable, more "modest" for changing in a group setting or peeing trailside, etc..... So if you are comfortable in skirts, take 2 skirts, no pants.

But you don't really need 2 macabis. They are a heavier item. I walked my last camino in a macabi, and it held up great for the entire 2.5 months as my daily wear hiking bottom. I had a second, lighter skirt that was purely for evenings. (I really could have worn only the macabi hiking and evenings, but it's a good idea to have back-up bottoms in a pinch, or for the every other week you wash the macabi.)

Personally, I'm not in love with the macabi anymore. Too heavy, too expensive. I wear/carry 2 Patagonia Seabrook skirts (half the weight, 2/3's the price) Something like that, or a simple silk skirt wrap-around for example, would be more than adequate as a 2nd bottom.

By the way, as a skirt hiker, I don't use/carry regular "underwear". I have 3 prs. of boy-short type bottoms (Eastbay 6" men's compression shorts, bought oversize so they aren't too compressing) and 1 set of long base leggings. That gives me anti-chafe leg choice depending on temperature.

I've got a buff. I'm planning on wearing it every day. Figuring it'll cover my ears and keep the hair out of my face and if its super windy I'll use it to cover the lower half of my face......

I took off my beanie in favor of a sun hat. But I've no clue which will be more likely to be necessary in March. And I didn't want to bring both...

Sunhat is a must.

I don't know what buff you have, but the world of buffs is pretty awesome and huge. A buff can twist into a beanie. There are also buffs made of materials other than the classic original, like merino, polartec, uv fabric..... And most of them weigh less than 1.5 oz each. Meaning you could take 2 buffs of different fabrics (less than 3 oz total) and have all manner of flexibility for how you use them depending on daily temperature.

@fenix

This is what I have specifically for shirts:

1 cold gear UA mock turtleneck long sleeved top
1 merino wool mid weight close fitting long sleeved top

1 merino wool light weight short sleeved t shirt (loose enough I could wear it over a baselayer or by itself)
1 v neck short sleeved tech shirt...I could wear it over a long sleeved shirt or by itself as well.

I just wouldn't normally wear these tops when not specifically working out, ya know? I tend to live in flowy rayon peasant style blouses (I'm kind of a hippie when it comes to clothes lol).

If I can get my pack weight down low enough, I might still treat myself to one of my peasant blouses...most of them weigh about 4 oz, and they make me happy.

All those cute hiking skirts would be like a teenaged mini skirt on me. :) I have a 36 in inseam...which is why I decided to go with the macabi. Plus I really love loose capri pants and I see myself wearing them in this style at times. In church I will be glad for the longer length, I think.

I think I'm going to keep my hiking pants as my second bottom though. They're pretty comfortable, and I paid a lot to get a long inseam on them. I think I would rather have the option of pants, than only skirts. I guess I'll find out when I'm there which one I prefer.

I've got one buff. I read on the macabi threads here that a really lightweight scarf looks cute as a belt with the macabi...I may do that, which could then double as a second buff type item.

Wow...that buff site is cool. Saving the link for sure.

ETA: I super love your phoenix rising profile pic and the quote. Just <3 them so much.

Quite a read this has become :) I just wanted to mention an issue not many have. I would get very cold at the end of the day until I found food, so my fleece coat & rain jacket combined were a godsend. Even in 80 degrees. I finally just started getting food between 1300 & dinner. But I needed my fleece coat. I walked the beginning of April until the first week in May to Finnesterre. If I planned a March stroll I would add a light cardigan sweater.

Quite a read this has become :) I just wanted to mention an issue not many have. I would get very cold at the end of the day until I found food, so my fleece coat & rain jacket combined were a godsend. Even in 80 degrees. I finally just started getting food between 1300 & dinner. But I needed my fleece coat. I walked the beginning of April until the first week in May to Finnesterre. If I planned a March stroll I would add a light cardigan sweater.

good to know. Thank you.

Hi Eve,
I just picked up on something I missed earlier - that your camino is just 11-12 days. Clothing-wise (and maybe some toiletries, etc) you truly need less than you are taking.

The macabi will be more than adequate for a bottom on a short camino. It can be worn hiking and evenings for 12 days without washing. And even if you wanted to give it a rinse and a wring before bed halfway through, it will dry very quickly. And merino is naturally very smell resistant.

1 macabi (dress it up with lightweight scarf/belt in evening)
1 wear/1 spare of bra, undies, socks
1 fleece, buff, gloves
Rain jacket + packcover (and plastic bag for rain kilt)
1 base layer pants/leggings (to hike in)
Maybe 2nd base layer leggings OR lightweight sleep bottoms
2 tech/merino long-sleeve shirts (2 instead of 1 only because of colder/wetter March)
2 tech/merino short-sleeve shirts
(All shirts also serve as evening/sleep wear in rotation)

That's just my 2 cents, for whatever it's worth. Take whatever you wish to on your camino. I would just suggest you evaluate every ounce with the question, "Does it serve an absolute necessity and/or bring me joy? Or is it a 'what-if', out of fear?" Twelve days is not a lot of time to be able to learn the hard way and make suitable adjustments, especially if you don't have any experience and are aiming for an average of 25 km/day out of the gate.

Good luck!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
KEEP THE HEADLAMP ... lol, you won't regret it !

Eve, that sunrise picture you mentioned was taken one glorious morning when I was walking with wcs and jms, having met them the day before! We set out in early morning darkness, about 7.30, and the sun came up as we walked.

And wcs and jms had the biggest backpacks I've seen!

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.