• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Packing for the Walk

NobleHiker

Time of past OR future Camino
Future
I will start my first Camino April 14th. I have been making the packing list and gathering items on the list. I have them all down this morning and get them weighted. The total weight without water is 14.2 lbs.

What will be on me = 5.6 lbs. These are items shown on the right side of the photo:
1. Passport
2. Pack of credit card and health card (five total), including the leather pouch
3. Paper bills (300 Euro)
4. Baseball hat
5. Sport watch
6. Sunglass
7. T-shirt
8. Underwear
9. Long sleeve shirt (I always wear this because it has two front pockets for my bills and credit cards)
10. Windbreaker (hooded)
11. Long paint
12. Socks
13. Shoes

What will be in my backpack = 8.60 lbs, including the backpack. These are items shown on the left side of the photo.
1. Backpack (Just a normal school backpack which I use to go to work with everyday)
2. Wide rim hat (I will switch to this hat when the sun is too much for my baseball hat)
3. Blanket (Small rolled up wool flannel blanket can be used to line the bed or to keep warm at night)
4. Water bottles (two 360ml bottles which were for chocolate milks. I drank the milk and save the bottles. They were empty at weight in time)
5. Hand sanitizer (I may leave this behind)
6. Bottle of oil (I broke my elbow six weeks ago. So I use the oil for my rehab. Also good to put on my feet before putting the socks on so I won't get blister).
7. Tower (small micro fiber tower for shower)
8. Soap, tooth brush, tooth paste, floss (in the green net pouch)
9. A tube of Pepto bismo, aspirin, antihistamin, bandages, earplug, and vitamin pills (in the second green net pouch)
10. Small note book and a pen. (I may leave this behind)
11. Mask
12. Coin pouch (black pouch where I keep my loose coins)
13. String pack (the blue bag) to carry stuff or shopping when I am in town and need to walk around
14. Neck warmer/face cover (yellow piece on top of the blue bag)
15. Reading glass (in the red tube)
16. Wood kit hat (for the cold days and nights)
17. Light short (for taking shower with)
18. Long-sleeve under shirt
19. Underwear change
20. Khaki short
21. Socks
22. Slipper (for walking in the evening or in the shower)
23. Phones (I always carry two: one unlocked which can accept any sim card)
24. Battery bank for the phone
25. Small camera with spare battery (I don't like taking photo with my phone because it drains the battery)
26. Charger for the phone, earphone (in the round tin)
27. On the hooks on the backpack: A small can/bottle opener and five clothing clips

I am thinking about getting a few more items, not in the photo. Which may add another pound to the total.
1. Some toilet papers
2. A rain poncho
3. A camera stick to take photo with
4. A knife (which I will buy when I get there as I can't carry it onboard the plane)

20220401 Packing.jpg

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
8.6 lbs!!! I’m very impressed. To walk far, travel light. You’ll appreciate the light weight from the moment you take your first steps out your front door. If there is anything else you need, you can always pick it up along the Camino. I didn’t see any mention of hiking poles. You might want to think a out picking up a pair along with the knife you are purchasing. Buen Camino!

I am not sure why you need two telephones. I would buy some wet wipes to have to clean up if you need to or when nature calls and there is no bathroom handy. If you get this you do not need toilet paper.Plastic bags to put the used wet wipes in. Your description of your day/backpacks are puzzling to me. Are you carrying your backpack or shipping it? I assume all your shirts/pants/shorts/underwear/socks are quick dry. Bring a poncho that will cover you and your backpack and or daypack. Instead of carrying two 360 ml bottles get a one liter water bottle. Why have two when you will most likely have some hot days and need more water. If you intend to bring food for snacks and lunch when you are on the camino you will need a knife. You can buy good cheap knives at a cuchilleria. They are all over the place just ask or google it. If you have a battery pack for your phone you can take photos on your phone I would think. There are plenty of places to recharge your phone and I am sure you are bringing adapters so you can plug in your charger in Europe. As a UT grad and the father of a UT grad Hook Em!!!!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I haven't thought about a walking stick. I see many people carrying them. I may pick one up in France as you suggested. Thank you.

I am not sure why you need two telephones. I would buy some wet wipes to have to clean up if you need to or when nature calls and there is no bathroom handy. If you get this you do not need toilet paper.Plastic bags to put the used wet wipes in. Your description of your day/backpacks are puzzling to me. Are you carrying your backpack or shipping it? I assume all your shirts/pants/shorts/underwear/socks are quick dry. Bring a poncho that will cover you and your backpack and or daypack. Instead of carrying two 360 ml bottles get a one liter water bottle. Why have two when you will most likely have some hot days and need more water. If you intend to bring food for snacks and lunch when you are on the camino you will need a knife. You can buy good cheap knives at a cuchilleria. They are all over the place just ask or google it. If you have a battery pack for your phone you can take photos on your phone I would think. There are plenty of places to recharge your phone and I am sure you are bringing adapters so you can plug in your charger in Europe. As a UT grad and the father of a UT grad Hook Em!!!!
Thanks for some great tips. I was worry that my phone doesn't work. It locked to Verizon. The unlocked phone just in case. I may leave one home as you suggested. And yes the wet wipes will help. I have only one backpack, the one you referred to as daypack. Everything fit in it so I didn't think I need anything bigger. I may drop the camera and rely on the phone for photos. Doing all these may get my pack down to 8.0 lbs.
UT class of 93. Hook Em!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I agree with Trecile, make sure your bag is comfortable to carry on a long walk, most people prefer to put weight onto their hips rather than shoulders. And skip the small camera.
I took a 750ml bottle on the CF the first time and it was probably just enough but just, think a little bigger bottle may be useful.
Personally I think 3 hats are a little bit much, with the additional of the neck warmer. Not sure about the shower shorts. Otherwise it seems a fairly sensible list.

Thanks for some great tips. I was worry that my phone doesn't work. It locked to Verizon. The unlocked phone just in case. I may leave one home as you suggested. And yes the wet wipes will help. I have only one backpack, the one you referred to as daypack. Everything fit in it so I didn't think I need anything bigger. I may drop the camera and rely on the phone for photos. Doing all these may get my pack down to 8.0 lbs.
UT class of 93. Hook Em!
Don't forget blister care. Needle and thread, leukotape were my choices. Agree with ditch the camera. I upgraded my phone and it took fantastic photos. You can put on airplane mode to save battery while walking. If your windbreaker is waterproof do you need a poncho or a rain cover for your pack instead? The buff can be used as a hat for night time warmth. Just my thoughts. Buen camino

A selection of Camino Jewellery
UT class of 93. Hook Em!
Wow, great packing! Just wanted to say, I too use Verizon as my provider. I checked with them in regard to the phone being locked, as I wanted to use an eSim card on my walk. I was told they unlock the phones 60 days after purchase. So unless you just recently purchased your phone, it should be unlocked.

UT class of 93. Hook Em!
My ex wife and I of course attended my daughters graduation at the Erwin Center. She said that it was so easy to spot the parents who also went to UT because they were the parents with tears streaming down their faces. I went to school when UT football was still UT football. I had the honor of watching Earl every Saturday at Memorial Stadium. (And when Austin was realllllly Austintachious and the Armadillo was rockin!!)

Last edited:
Wow, great packing! Just wanted to say, I too use Verizon as my provider. I checked with them in regard to the phone being locked, as I wanted to use an eSim card on my walk. I was told they unlock the phones 60 days after purchase. So unless you just recently purchased your phone, it should be unlocked.
Might also be easier and cheaper to get a sim card and prepaid plan from Vodafone or Orange. You can still stay in touch with family by Whatapp or Messenger.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Does it have a good suspension and a hip belt to transfer the load off your shoulders and onto your hips?

If not, is it comfortable to carry for 6-8 hours a day, every day for a month?
It has neither hip belt nor suspension; but, it is quite comfortable. I used it for hiking before but not 10 hours long. Perhaps after the first couple days, if it doesn't work out, I will swap it out when I get to Pamplona. Thank you for the tip.

UT class of 93. Hook Em!
Your verizon phone should work fine - I have ATT and I knew others with Verizon and all of our service was fine. That said - look at your international plan options and see if they work for you. If not - maybe leave your phone at home and just take the unlocked phone. You should be able to get a SIM card easily (or take your phone and switch out the SIM card). If you use Verizon international service - you can use "WhatsApp" for wireless calling to save on your phone and data - for when you are connected to wifi. Plus - it is the go to communication app used by MANY on the Camino.
I would say to place your windbreaker in your carry items list for weight consideration - it will probably spend more time in your pack. I did like having my small camera - but there are downsides to that with weight - but also with posting pictures as I walk. This time I am just taking my phone. Instead of 2 hats - maybe one that is like a baseball hat with a removable flap on the back? or your baseball cap with a buff or handkerchief? Your wide brimmed hat - does it even work with your backpack on or is the back hitting the backpack constantly?
I would say no to the camera stick. Instead of a poncho and a windbreaker - I carry a really light rain jacket with pit zips. Acts are rain jacket, wind breaker, extra warmth layer. The knife - can come in handy - but really you don't need it. I only missed having a knife once in 6 weeks of travel. For that 1 time, it wasn't worth the weight. Throwing in a little bit of toilet paper and/or napkins is good. Be sure to have a ziplock that you can put dirty toilet paper into. I wouldn't bring wet wipes myself - the water added to them is just extra unnecessary weight. Or - dry out a few and rewet them as needed.
Overall - your list is pretty good and so is your weight. If you CAN lost a little more - go for it. But it should be manageable.

I agree with Trecile, make sure your bag is comfortable to carry on a long walk, most people prefer to put weight onto their hips rather than shoulders. And skip the small camera.
I took a 750ml bottle on the CF the first time and it was probably just enough but just, think a little bigger bottle may be useful.
Personally I think 3 hats are a little bit much, with the additional of the neck warmer. Not sure about the shower shorts. Otherwise it seems a fairly sensible list.
I got similar tips about the camera. I will leave it at home.
About the water bottles, I heard that water fauces are readily available. That was the reason I take the two small used plastic bottles. I figure I can get another one and use it if two is not enough.
I didn't think about the hats until you pointed them out. I love my baseball cap so that may be what I will take. The knit wool cap will stay home. I will think about the wide brim hat. Thanks for the tips.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Don't forget blister care. Needle and thread, leukotape were my choices. Agree with ditch the camera. I upgraded my phone and it took fantastic photos. You can put on airplane mode to save battery while walking. If your windbreaker is waterproof do you need a poncho or a rain cover for your pack instead? The buff can be used as a hat for night time warmth. Just my thoughts. Buen camino
Thanks for the reminder. I will take a safety pin. And yes, others mentioned about the three hats. So the knit wool cap stays home.

My ex wife and I of course attended my daughters graduation at the Erwin Center. She said that it was so easy to spot the parents who also went to UT because they were the parents with tears streaming down their faces. I went to school when UT football was still UT football. I had the honor of watching Earl every Saturday at Memorial Stadium. (And when Austin was realllllly Austintachious and the Armadillo was rockin!!)
I didn't have the privilege of watching Mr. Campbell played; but, I did watch Peter Gardere sent OU packing four years in a row. I couldn't recognize the drag the last time I visited Austin. And that was about seven years ago.

I called Verizon after reading your post. They confirmed that they would unlock my phone. Thanks. I will be one phone lighter.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Your verizon phone should work fine - I have ATT and I knew others with Verizon and all of our service was fine. That said - look at your international plan options and see if they work for you. If not - maybe leave your phone at home and just take the unlocked phone. You should be able to get a SIM card easily (or take your phone and switch out the SIM card). If you use Verizon international service - you can use "WhatsApp" for wireless calling to save on your phone and data - for when you are connected to wifi. Plus - it is the go to communication app used by MANY on the Camino.
I would say to place your windbreaker in your carry items list for weight consideration - it will probably spend more time in your pack. I did like having my small camera - but there are downsides to that with weight - but also with posting pictures as I walk. This time I am just taking my phone. Instead of 2 hats - maybe one that is like a baseball hat with a removable flap on the back? or your baseball cap with a buff or handkerchief? Your wide brimmed hat - does it even work with your backpack on or is the back hitting the backpack constantly?
I would say no to the camera stick. Instead of a poncho and a windbreaker - I carry a really light rain jacket with pit zips. Acts are rain jacket, wind breaker, extra warmth layer. The knife - can come in handy - but really you don't need it. I only missed having a knife once in 6 weeks of travel. For that 1 time, it wasn't worth the weight. Throwing in a little bit of toilet paper and/or napkins is good. Be sure to have a ziplock that you can put dirty toilet paper into. I wouldn't bring wet wipes myself - the water added to them is just extra unnecessary weight. Or - dry out a few and rewet them as needed.
Overall - your list is pretty good and so is your weight. If you CAN lost a little more - go for it. But it should be manageable.
Reading your suggestions along with others, I settle with leaving at home one phone, the camera, the wool hat and the wide brim hat. With that off and the wind breaker in the bag and some napkins in a zip lock, the backpack weight is probably down to below 7.5 lbs. I will try to reweigh everything tomorrow. I will hold off buying the knife and the camera stick. If I still think I need them, I will get them along the way. Thank you for the suggestions.

Thanks for the reminder. I will take a safety pin. And yes, others mentioned about the three hats. So the knit wool cap stays home.
Take locking diaper pins instead of cloths pins… they work well on clothesline and to hang damp laundry off your pack SS you walk!! Buen Camino!!

Take locking diaper pins instead of cloths pins… they work well on clothesline and to hang damp laundry off your pack SS you walk!! Buen Camino!!
Great idea. I will swap the cloths pins with the safety pins. Save a few more oz. Every oz helps. Thank you. Buen Camino.

Great idea. I will swap the cloths pins with the safety pins. Save a few more oz. Every oz helps. Thank you. Buen Camino.
I take both diaper pins and clothespins, but my clothespins are small from the craft store (similar to these), but strong enough to hold my lightweight clothing on the line.
I found that gravity was not my friend when relying solely on diaper pins - everything slid down the line into a clump
Fortunately, most albergues have some clothespins available.

I take both diaper pins and clothespins, but my clothespins are small from the craft store (similar to these), but strong enough to hold my lightweight clothing on the line.
I found that gravity was not my friend when relying solely on diaper pins - everything slid down the line into a clump
Fortunately, most albergues have some clothespins available.
Where I am right now, I can't get those clothespins. Do you think the metal clips in the attached photo will work (along with the safety pins)? I have a couples of those?

Attachments

• Clips.jpg
    Clips.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 79
Where I am right now, I can't get those clothespins. Do you think the metal clips in the attached photo will work (along with the safety pins)? I have a couples of those? View attachment 121896
I haven't tried binder clips like that before, they will probably work, and most albergues do have some regular full size clothespins available.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I haven't tried binder clips like that before, they will probably work, and most albergues do have some regular full size clothespins available.
I’ll go with the safety pins and the metal clips then. I can always sort that out after the first couple days. I figure I better start with less then add, rather than the other way around. I’ll report back how it goes.

Looks good to me and if it's good for you that's all that matters. :D
Also remember if you need anything else you can easily purchase it along the Camino. I've walked it several times and I still forget something and have to purchase it. Not a big deal at all. Even your pack. If you decide you want a different one, buy another one along the Way.
If you bring a lightweight rain jacket that will take the place of a poncho and the windbreaker and is also an extra layer of warmth to just wear for that. It's a multi-task piece of equipment.

I try to get the weight what I have to carry down as low as possible. I got a lot of good ideas from here. Yours included. Thanks. Buen Camino.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Plenty of good advice on this thread, especially agree with cutting out one phone, camera, also the battery back up (if your phone has a decent battery) and excess headwear. Take plenty of ziplock bags, best multi-purpose item in my pack. Don't underestimate water requirement, minimum for me is 750ml or 1 litre bottle for normal use plus a small 330ml back up, buried in rucksack. Would seriously consider a backpack with hip straps, even small packs become tiresome on the shoulders. Also, don't think it has been mentioned, a waterproof liner for the ruck sack.
Whatever you decide take you can still refine your pack as you go along and there are plenty places to buy kit. Enjoy your first Camino.

Plenty of good advice on this thread, especially agree with cutting out one phone, camera, also the battery back up (if your phone has a decent battery) and excess headwear. Take plenty of ziplock bags, best multi-purpose item in my pack. Don't underestimate water requirement, minimum for me is 750ml or 1 litre bottle for normal use plus a small 330ml back up, buried in rucksack. Would seriously consider a backpack with hip straps, even small packs become tiresome on the shoulders. Also, don't think it has been mentioned, a waterproof liner for the ruck sack.
Whatever you decide take you can still refine your pack as you go along and there are plenty places to buy kit. Enjoy your first Camino.
I agree. I am delighted to receive so many good advices. When I weighed everything at the beginning of the post, including what I will be wearing, I got 14.2 lbs. From all the advices, I think I can get down to 13.0 lbs. I will weigh again this weekend and report back.

I thought a lot about the water as it would be one of the heaviest items. I researched and found that on the French route, water is available about every 8km. There are only a few stretches where I will have to go longer to get to a watering hole. I figure I will bring three empty 360ml milk bottles. I will only fill up one or two in most days. When I know I head in to a dry stretch, I will fill the third bottle.

Thank for the advice about the water liner. I will put a tough trash bag in the backpack and put everything thing that I don’t want to get wet in it.

Buen Camino.

Sounds like you've given everything a lot of thought. One last tip if your counting the grams, a one 1 litre PET bottle will weigh less than your three milk bottles. And Still water bottles weigh less than Sparkling water bottles, although Sparkling water bottles are more robust and have a better cap/seal than Still water. If you intend to re-use a bottle with flip top lid, make sure it is thoroughly cleaned between fill ups, it can harbour germs. (Ex-water bottling engineer)

Sounds like you've given everything a lot of thought. One last tip if your counting the grams, a one 1 litre PET bottle will weigh less than your three milk bottles. And Still water bottles weigh less than Sparkling water bottles, although Sparkling water bottles are more robust and have a better cap/seal than Still water. If you intend to re-use a bottle with flip top lid, make sure it is thoroughly cleaned between fill ups, it can harbour germs. (Ex-water bottling engineer)
I appreciate the tip. You are right about the one liter bottle being lighter then the three milk bottles. And yes, people do get sick for not cleaning their bottle thoroughly. I will be very careful.

By the way, I was once given the privilege of visiting a shop designing molds for high speed blow molding machines. The way the cooling channels were designed with the size and the length of the runners and the throat orifices blew me out of the water. It was an art in its own way. I thought you appreciate that being a bottle engineer.

Buen Camino.

I appreciate the tip. You are right about the one liter bottle being lighter then the three milk bottles. And yes, people do get sick for not cleaning their bottle thoroughly. I will be very careful.

By the way, I was once given the privilege of visiting a shop designing molds for high speed blow molding machines. The way the cooling channels were designed with the size and the length of the runners and the throat orifices blew me out of the water. It was an art in its own way. I thought you appreciate that being a bottle engineer.

Buen Camino.
Don't get me started, I could bore you for hours with tales about Label anti-rub panels, Directional oven heat and best of all the Wandering Nipple.

I will start my first Camino April 14th. I have been making the packing list and gathering items on the list. I have them all down this morning and get them weighted. The total weight without water is 14.2 lbs.

What will be on me = 5.6 lbs. These are items shown on the right side of the photo:
1. Passport
2. Pack of credit card and health card (five total), including the leather pouch
4. Baseball hat
5. Sport watch
6. Sunglass
7. T-shirt
8. Underwear
9. Long sleeve shirt (I always wear this because it has two front pockets for my bills and credit cards)
10. Windbreaker (hooded)
11. Long paint
12. Socks
13. Shoes

What will be in my backpack = 8.60 lbs, including the backpack. These are items shown on the left side of the photo.
1. Backpack (Just a normal school backpack which I use to go to work with everyday)
2. Wide rim hat (I will switch to this hat when the sun is too much for my baseball hat)
3. Blanket (Small rolled up wool flannel blanket can be used to line the bed or to keep warm at night)
4. Water bottles (two 360ml bottles which were for chocolate milks. I drank the milk and save the bottles. They were empty at weight in time)
6. Bottle of oil (I broke my elbow six weeks ago. So I use the oil for my rehab. Also good to put on my feet before putting the socks on so I won't get blister).
9. A tube of Pepto bismo, aspirin, antihistamin, bandages, earplug, and vitamin pills (in the second green net pouch)
11. Mask
13. String pack (the blue bag) to carry stuff or shopping when I am in town and need to walk around
19. Underwear change
20. Khaki short
21. Socks
25. Small camera with spare battery (I don't like taking photo with my phone because it drains the battery)
27. On the hooks on the backpack: A small can/bottle opener and five clothing clips

I am thinking about getting a few more items, not in the photo. Which may add another pound to the total.
1. Some toilet papers
2. A rain poncho
4. A knife (which I will buy when I get there as I can't carry it onboard the plane)

View attachment 121695

1. Passport
4. Baseball hat
5. Sport watch
6. Sunglass
7. T-shirt
8. Underwear
10. Windbreaker (hooded)
11. Long paint
12. Socks
13. Shoes

11. Mask
19. Underwear change
20. Khaki short
21. Socks

1. Some toilet papers
2. A rain poncho

View attachment 121695

Taken in all the advices from Camino friends, I proudly say the result is impressive. The total weight (everything on myself and everything in the backpack) is now 13.00 lbs. 4.60 lbs of which is what I wear and 8.40 lbs is all in the backpack, including the backpack. Here are what left on the list:

What I will wear on myself = 4.60 lbs. These are items shown on the right side of the photo:
1. Passport
4. Baseball hat
5. Sport watch
6. Sunglass
7. T-shirt
8. Underwear
11. Long paint
12. Socks
13. Shoes
Comparing to previous list, the windbreaker gets into the backpack instead of wearing on myself. I missed the passport at weigh-in.

What will be in the backpack = 8.40 lbs, including the backpack. These are items shown on the left side of the photo.
10. Small notebook and a pen
11. Mask
17. Light short (for taking shower with and walk around after shower)
19. Underwear change
20. Khaki short
21. Socks
23. Phone
28. Toilet papers and three zip lock bags
29. Trash bag to put everything inside so they don't get wet.

Gone: Wide rim hat, wool knit hat, one phone, camera.
Added: Toilet papers, ziplock bags, trash bag (water tight liner for the backpack.

They are all in the photo.

Thank you all for the advice. One week to go.....

IMG_1215.jpg

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Taken in all the advices from Camino friends, I proudly say the result is impressive. The total weight (everything on myself and everything in the backpack) is now 13.00 lbs. 4.60 lbs of which is what I wear and 8.40 lbs is all in the backpack, including the backpack. Here are what left on the list:

What I will wear on myself = 4.60 lbs. These are items shown on the right side of the photo:
1. Passport
4. Baseball hat
5. Sport watch
6. Sunglass
7. T-shirt
8. Underwear
11. Long paint
12. Socks
13. Shoes
Comparing to previous list, the windbreaker gets into the backpack instead of wearing on myself. I missed the passport at weigh-in.

What will be in the backpack = 8.40 lbs, including the backpack. These are items shown on the left side of the photo.
11. Mask
19. Underwear change
20. Khaki short
21. Socks
23. Phone

Added: Toilet papers, ziplock bags, trash bag (water tight liner for the backpack.

View attachment 122185
You have put some thought into this, and that’s admirable. I’m also impressed by anyone who weighs their passport - you’ll fit right in here.

Personally (on a point of detail) I’d just buy a couple of 500ml bottles of water on arrival and keep refilling them.

With respect to hats - OK, one is enough; but remember the sun will be on your back - more specifically the back of your neck - most of the time.

I’m old enough to remember when baseball caps were worn with the peak at the front; but I’d suggest some decent sunscreen for your neck nevertheless.

Will you be staying in albergues? I don't see any sleeping bag, liner, quilt, etc.
Yes I plan to. I have a felt blanket similar to those they use on airplane. It rolls up into a small roll. It is the flannel roll in the upper left corner of the photo. If it gets really cold, I will wear more clothes to sleep. 😁

You have put some thought into this, and that’s admirable. I’m also impressed by anyone who weighs their passport - you’ll fit right in here.

Personally (on a point of detail) I’d just buy a couple of 500ml bottles of water on arrival and keep refilling them.

With respect to hats - OK, one is enough; but remember the sun will be on your back - more specifically the back of your neck - most of the time.

I’m old enough to remember when baseball caps were worn with the peak at the front; but I’d suggest some decent sunscreen for your neck nevertheless.
I have two empty 350ml bottles. They are milk bottles being reused as you suggest. After a couple days, if that is not enough, I will get a third.

I thought about sun tan lotion but decided not to bring it. When I am out in the sun, I don’t get burn. I get real dark. I have a neck warmers. If I need to, I will clip it on the back of my baseball cap with the safety pins to cover my neck. I will see how that works.

Thank you for the suggestion.

Buen Camino

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I have two empty 350ml bottles. They are milk bottles being reused as you suggest. After a couple days, if that is not enough, I will get a third.

I thought about sun tan lotion but decided not to bring it. When I am out in the sun, I don’t get burn. I get real dark. I have a neck warmers. If I need to, I will clip it on the back of my baseball cap with the safety pins to cover my neck. I will see how that works.

Buen Camino
Please get some sun tan lotion

You mention credit card and other cards in a leather pouch. I would suggest a lightweight money belt. It will be lighter than leather. It should be on your body at all times, not in you backpack.

1. Passport
4. Baseball hat
5. Sport watch
6. Sunglass
7. T-shirt
8. Underwear
11. Long paint
12. Socks
13. Shoes

11. Mask
19. Underwear change
20. Khaki short
21. Socks
23. Phone

View attachment 122185
Be interested to hear how your pack "develops" after you've been on the Camino for a week. Please give us an update in due course. I've got money on a new back pack, a large single water bottle and sunscreen being added. Don't for get sunscreen is also a good skin moisturiser, great for aching feet.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
You mention credit card and other cards in a leather pouch. I would suggest a lightweight money belt. It will be lighter than leather. It should be on your body at all times, not in you backpack.
It is just a pouch I made for myself (photo) years ago when I got tired of carrying around a wallet. Thick enough to hold five plastic cards. I usually put it in my front shirt pocket during the day. At night, I put it in my sock when I go to bed. If I have any bills at all, I put them into the other sock. Someone wants my money will have to knock them of my socks. 😂.0805213A-AE38-4CB6-9D1A-B6C4B1356C6F.jpeg

Please get some sun tan lotion
No, really. Unlike Northerners, I don’t get burn at all. I have a dark complexion most people from Southeast Asia has. I rode bike 8-10 hours in the sun just fine. I guess I will find out soon enough. 😀

Be interested to hear how your pack "develops" after you've been on the Camino for a week. Please give us an update in due course. I've got money on a new back pack, a large single water bottle and sunscreen being added. Don't for get sunscreen is also a good skin moisturiser, great for aching feet.
I will certainly report back as things develop over the course of the walk. I am curious myself too. Counting down.

Buen Camino.

Some more shuffling:

1. The notebook is out.
2. The belt is out.
3. The tin (for earphone) is out.
4. Two shoelaces are in (for hanging clothes at night).
5. The small camera is back for debate.

Flying out in two days. Still more time to change things in/out.

Going to the air port in four hours.

Final weight in: 13.20 lbs = 8.80 lbs in backpack + 4.40 lbs I wear.

I will report in as during the walk when/if I pick up any item or discard any items.

What I wear on myself = 4.40 lbs. These are items shown on the right side of the photo:
1. Passport
4. Baseball hat
5. Sport watch
6. Sunglass
7. T-shirt
8. Underwear
9. Long sleeve shirt
11. Long paint
12. Socks
13. Shoes

What will be in the backpack = 8.80 lbs, including the backpack. These are items shown on the left side of the photo.
1. Backpack
2. Blanket
3. Water bottles (two 360ml reused bottles - emptied at weight in)
4. Hand sanitizer
5. Tower (small micro fiber tower for shower)
6. Soap, tooth brush, tooth paste, floss
7. A tube of Pepto bismo, aspirin, antihistamin, bandages, earplug, and vitamin pills (in the second green net pouch)
8. Small notebook and a pen
9. Mask
10. Coin pouch (black pouch where I keep my loose coins)
11. String pack (the blue bag) to carry stuff or shopping when I am in town and need to walk around
12. Neck warmer/face cover (yellow piece on top of the blue bag)
13. Reading glass (in the red tube)
14. Light short
15. Long-sleeve under shirt
16. Underwear change
17. Khaki short
18. 1 pair of socks
19. 1 pair of slipper
20. Phone
21. Charger for the phone, earphone, and battery bank
22. On the hooks on the backpack: A small can/bottle opener
22. Toilet papers and three zip lock bags
24. Trash bag to put everything inside so they don't get wet.
25. Two shoes laces.

20220413 Packing Final.jpg

Good luck on your journey. Add a tag Live From Camino, makes it easier to follow your thread.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
NobleHiker,

Now you are really on your way.

All your kit looks great. However one item that you should get are paper face masks such as these we are still using here in France and pilgrims note are in use in Spain. These are easily available in most pharmacies.

20220105_084910.jpg

I look forward to following your journey in the days ahead.
May you have a wonder-filled camino.

Carpe Diem and Buen Camino.

Last edited:
NobleHiker,

Now you are really on your way.

All your kit looks great. However one item that you should get are paper face masks such as these we are still using here in France and pilgrims note are in use in Spain. These are easily available in most pharmacies.

View attachment 122653

I look forward to following your journey in the days ahead.
May you have a wonder-filled camino.

Carpe Diem and Buen Camino.
I am bringing a cloth mask. Is that an approved alternative? I don't want to use disposable things as much as I can.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I am bringing a cloth mask. Is that an approved alternative? I don't want to use disposable things as much as I can.
Here in France most people wear paper. However each mask lasts more than 1 day. At least you do have a cloth mask to begin. Once you arrive you will see what is the "norm".

Furthermore as of April 20 in Spain all will change.

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Sorry......I can't remember how to add a "Live From Camino" flag......can anyone else help??
When you start a new thread there is a drop down menu next to the area for the title where you can choose "LIVE from the Camino."

Screenshot 2022-04-13 123809.jpg

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Last minute thoughts, I know . . .
Maybe reconsider your beloved baseball cap.
I know, I know. But bear me out.

My experience is that a wool cap may be a good piece of equipment at this time of year on the Camino. I bought a pair of wool gloves on the Camino in May because it was too cold. If anything happens to your hat, it sounds like you will be devastated. Maybe sew on a patch instead? Or a pin?

It may be too late at this point but you may find that the blanket may not be warm enough. And the idea of sleeping in more clothes adds to the challenges at a time when you need to just rest. Perhaps you can find a sleeping bag when you arrive?

Glad you ditched the idea of the selfie stick.

An emergency toilet kit can be put together like this -
Inside a zip-loc baggie, put: the smallest bottle of hand sanitizer you can find; a smaller zip loc bag; some toilet paper; a few sheets of paper (wax, newspaper, whatever, larger than 8.5 x 11, lightweight), a brown lunch paper bag. Procedure is as follows (ahem): poop on the sheets of paper, use your toilet paper, wrap it all up and put into the smaller zip loc baggie, put it in the brown paper bag, put it in the larger zip loc, use your hand sanitizer, drop the brown paper bag in the nearest trash can.

Your feet are your most important piece of equipment. Take utmost care of them. Listen when they ask you to stop or slow down. There seems to be a run of shin splints lately on the CF - warning, this can be a major setback to one's Camino. Blisters are always a concern.

One extra pair of socks may not be enough. If you walk in rain or mud and need a quick change during the day, you're stuck with no dry socks until the next day when both pair finally dry out.

Use two hiking poles, even if you think they look and feel weird.

Otherwise, looks like fun!! Be flexible, be humble, don't be in a hurry. The Camino has a reputation of breaking you down before it builds you up. But Spain is a first world country and you will find any assistance you may need along the way.

Start out like an old man so you can finish like a young man.

Buen Camino and keep us posted.

Last edited:
Last minute thoughts, I know . . .
Maybe reconsider your beloved baseball cap.
I know, I know. But bear me out.

My experience is that a wool cap may be a good piece of equipment at this time of year on the Camino. I bought a pair of wool gloves on the Camino in May because it was too cold. If anything happens to your hat, it sounds like you will be devastated. Maybe sew on a patch instead? Or a pin?

It may be too late at this point but you may find that the blanket may not be warm enough. And the idea of sleeping in more clothes adds to the challenges at a time when you need to just rest. Perhaps you can find a sleeping bag when you arrive?

Glad you ditched the idea of the selfie stick.

An emergency toilet kit can be put together like this -
Inside a zip-loc baggie, put: the smallest bottle of hand sanitizer you can find; a smaller zip loc bag; some toilet paper; a few sheets of paper (wax, newspaper, whatever, larger than 8.5 x 11, lightweight), a brown lunch paper bag. Procedure is as follows (ahem): poop on the sheets of paper, use your toilet paper, wrap it all up and put into the smaller zip loc baggie, put it in the brown paper bag, put it in the larger zip loc, use your hand sanitizer, drop the brown paper bag in the nearest trash can.

Your feet are your most important piece of equipment. Take utmost care of them. Listen when they ask you to stop or slow down. There seems to be a run of shin splints lately on the CF - warning, this can be a major setback to one's Camino. Blisters are always a concern.

One extra pair of socks may not be enough. If you walk in rain or mud and need a quick change during the day, you're stuck with no dry socks until the next day when both pair finally dry out.

Use two hiking poles, even if you think they look and feel weird.

Otherwise, looks like fun!! Be flexible, be humble, don't be in a hurry. The Camino has a reputation of breaking you down before it builds you up. But Spain is a first world country and you will find any assistance you may need along the way.

Start out like an old man so you can finish like a young man.

Buen Camino and keep us posted.
Great post. I would have considered many of the suggestions. I left the house a couple hours ago and am at the airport waiting for boarding. And guess what, plan have already been changed. I left the house this morning with an old pair of reading glass not realizing I was wearing it walking out of the door. Now I have two pairs of reading glasses. 😀. I will have to find a fellow walker who needs a pair of reading glasses 2.0.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Thank. Sound like to late to change this to a LIVE one as suggested.😀
You should start a new "LIVE from the Camino" thread when you start. I'm sure that lots of members would like to follow your journey.
If you have any questions send me a private conversation.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Now that you’re in Santiago I wonder if you would reflect on your admirably lightweight pack? Did you use everything you took? Would you make changes if you were to do it again?
I made a few changes along the way. I was very happy with what I started out and what I ended up with. I would do this over again same way because not having a heavy load allowed my to go along into the day without getting tired.

What I had on myself ~ 4.60 lbs

1. Passport - This ended up in the bag instead on myself.

2. Pack of credit card and health card (five total), including the leather pouch - This worked well.

3. Paper bills (300 Euro) - This ended up in the bag most of the time.

4. Baseball hat - This worked well.

5. Sport watch - I did not use it a lot. I would not bring again.

6. Sunglass - This worked well.

7. T-shirt - This worked well.

8. Underwear - This worked well.

9. Long sleeve shirt - I would trade this for something a little warmer.

11. Long paint - This worked well.

12. Socks - This worked well.

13. Shoes - This worked well.

What were in the backpack ~ 8.40 lbs, including the backpack.

1. Backpack (Just a normal school backpack which I use to go to work with everyday) - This worked well. I wonder now if a modern hightech bag would help.

2. Blanket (Small rolled up wool flannel blanket) - This worked well. I would not need this if I go in the summer.

3. Two 360ml bottles - This worked well, definitely better than one 1 liter bottle as most time, I used one for water and one for milk/wine.

4. Hand sanitizer - I discarded this after 3/4 days.

5. Bottle of oil (I broke my elbow six weeks ago. So I use the oil for my rehab. Also good to put on my feet before putting the socks on so I won't get blister). I left this behind in the last minute shuffle.

6. Tower (small 18"x18" micro fiber tower for shower) - This worked well.

7. Soap, tooth brush, tooth paste, floss - The small bar of soap cut up into small chunks worked great.

8. A tube of Pepto bismo, aspirin, antihistamin, bandages, earplug, and vitamin pills (in the second green net pouch) - I lost the earplugs after the third/fourth night but I did not find that I needed them after that.

9. Small notebook and a pen - I discarded them after day 3 or 4.

10. Mask - I did not use it at all.

11. Coin pouch (black pouch where I keep my loose coins) - This worked well.

12. String pack (the blue bag) to carry stuff or shopping when I am in town and need to walk around - This worked well.

13. Neck warmer/face cover (yellow piece on top of the blue bag) - This worked well.

14. Reading glass (in the red tube) - I got an extra pair from home. Then the extra pair broke. I bought a replacement as I did not want to be without eyeglasses.

15. Light short (for taking shower with and walk around after shower) - I lost this after the fourth night. I would want to bring it again.

16. Long-sleeve under shirt - This worked well. I got another T-shirt along the way.

18. Underwear change - This worked well.

19. Khaki short - I discarded it I bought a pair of nylon long pants instead.

20. Socks - I wore of the spare socks and had to buy the replacement.

21. Slipper (for walking in the evening or in the shower) - This worked well.

22. Phone - This worked well.

23. Charger for the phone, earphone (in the round tin) - I discarded this after the first few days.

24. On the hooks on the backpack: A small can/bottle opener and five clothing clips. - These worked well.

25. Toilet papers and three zip lock bags. These worked well.

26. Trash bag to put everything inside so they don't get wet. - I ended up using groceries bags I collected as I bought foods along the way. I found that it was better to put things in separate bags instead of one big bag. They worked well.

27. The windbreaker - The one I had worked well for warm. It was water resistant, not water proof.

28. A pair of shoe strings - Saved me when the button of the short broke. I would bring them again.

29. Nail clipper - I bought this along the way as nails needed to be trimmed.

30. Belt - I made a decision not to bring my belt. That was not a good decision. I ended up buy one along the way.

31. Scallop shell - Got to have one.

32. Nobody - Last minute hitchhiker. - Definitely bring again.

Thing I would bring next time from the start:
1. Rain poncho - I never brought one and did not buy one along the way.

Most read last week in this forum

I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Hi! I am 15 days out from my Camino, and suddenly my Buen Camino app is crashing every time I try to look at my stages! I have rebooted my phone, done the "restore app" within the app, rebooted...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.