• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Packing tips and favorite items - what's yours?

Angie94

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances - 2016 www.angie-carter.com/camino
https://youtu.be/PtE_hvREZc4
I have extra time on my hands today so I decided to start a new thread. I have already gained so many cool ideas and tips as I have read and researched blogs, youtube videos and surfed the internet. I am an absolute "newbie" at all of this and have not even done a camino yet...but am getting my gear together, studying my Spanish and training with my pack and weight now. I knew NOTHING of backpacks before deciding to do this trek. I am healthy but not really athletic, not really a camper nor even a hiker! The longest walk I ever took was 3 miles and I thought that was really something! HAH! I did not know what merino wool was or why it is important for something like this - or what kind of clothing was 'quik-dry'. I never even heard of a "hiking sandal" :) I have been learning everything from scratch and it has already been quite an adventure. I thought it might be interesting to find out what other's experiences were after having done a camino. What is your handiest packing "hack" and what was your most favorite item you brought on the camino? What say you pilgrims???:D

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
A couple of things, ok, more than a couple, that I don't want to miss on a pilgrimage:

Sarong - Doubles as pretty much everything, towels, skirt, to wrap my clothes in in my backpack (packing sacks are heavy).
Leggings - For added warmth under my hiking trousers and to be decently dressed when everything else is washing/drying
Tupperware - To keep that tomato from becoming sauce during the day and as a general food storage.

Buen Camino! SY

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I have extra time on my hands today so I decided to start a new thread. I have already gained so many cool ideas and tips as I have read and researched blogs, youtube videos and surfed the internet. I am an absolute "newbie" at all of this and have not even done a camino yet...but am getting my gear together, studying my Spanish and training with my pack and weight now. I knew NOTHING of backpacks before deciding to do this trek. I am healthy but not really athletic, not really a camper nor even a hiker! The longest walk I ever took was 3 miles and I thought that was really something! HAH! I did not know what merino wool was or why it is important for something like this - or what kind of clothing was 'quik-dry'. I never even heard of a "hiking sandal" :) I have been learning everything from scratch and it has already been quite an adventure. I thought it might be interesting to find out what other's experiences were after having done a camino. What is your handiest packing "hack" and what was your most favorite item you brought on the camino? What say you pilgrims???:D
Plastic see through bags for when it rains on the Camino and boy, does it rain at times!! We take about 6 of them and they weigh next to nothing at the bottom of the rucksack. If bad weather is forecast, I pack everything in them and can see exactly what I've packed in each bag instead of constantly rooting around in non see through ones. On our first Camino we were not prepared and on the day we entered Santiago were so soaked that new clothes had to be bought!! Also a few sandwich bags for mobile phones,small diary etc. Always too my little iPad for skyping family. And defenitely our iPods for music. Oh and our kindles with a few good books on them. A lot of favourite things I know!

Plastic see through bags for when it rains on the Camino and boy, does it rain at times!
I will be sure and NOT forget the plastic see through bags! Wow. you've done your fair share of Caminos!! How is the Camino Norte? (can you believe I am already looking at that and haven't even done the CF yet?? WTHeck?? haha!)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
carried/used during the past 10 years plus some basic tips.
looks like a pretty thorough list - thanks so much for posting this. (I never thought about soup packets - I think that is a good idea!) What is a heating coil and what do you use it for? heating up water for tea or something like that?

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi Angie. There is a company called "Z Packs" that makes ultra-light gear for long-distance hikers of trails like the Appalachian Trail, PCT, and others including the Camino. It is insanely light stuff. My total backpack weight was 14 pounds, and I had a sleeping bag because I walked the Camino in the fall. Check out their site:
http://www.zpacks.com/backpacks.shtml
A picture of my backpack, ready for 32 days on the Camino.
Backpack.jpg

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Some golden rules:

If you are not sure you'll need it, you won't: Out of your pack.
Makeup: Out of your pack.
Cooking gear, all kind of food preserves, etc.: Out of your pack: There are towns/bars practically every 5-10 kms.
Follow the KISS principle: Keep It Simple, Stupid. (no offense intended)

The CF is NOT a walk in the wild: It is loaded with affordable conveniences for pilgrims, located in towns and villages all along the way. Add to that that many pilgrims come loaded with unneccessary items, and the first days of your walk, you can choose and pick for FREE whatever excess stuff pilgrims have left in the albergues. Many start out with 15+ kgs backpacks that very soon are reduced to half the weight. It is yours for the taking. Spain is a very civilized country in Europe: It offers you absolutely anything you'll need and at prices incomparable to home. Go as light as possible, and stock up en route.

Edit: Most albergues have kitchens with all facilities for cooking: Enjoy preparing a meal with newfound friends at a fraction of the cost of a restaurant/cafe, and much more rewarding. If not, there will be a cafe near by with a menu del dia, including wine, for ca. 10 Euros. Bargain.

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
15kg...like 33lbs? WOW. I only put 17 lbs in my pack this weekend and after 10 miles it felt heavy. Even at that weight the recommendation from others is to get it down from 17lbs. (more 14 or 15)
Yep. That is why you will find many strange things left in the albergues the first days: Sleeping mats, heavy staffs, camping stoves, etc. Do not take them ;)

I walk with a pack that weighs in total 6.5-7 kgs. It is amazing how many "invaluables" you can live perfectly without.

Remember:

Good decisions come from experience.
Experience comes from bad decisions.

Last edited:
Angie, I use a trash compactor bag inside my pack and it works great in keeping everything dry gossamer gear make a clear one that is very nice too and of course I always carry my umbrella :)

Zzotte

Hi Angie. There is a company called "Z Packs" that makes ultra-light gear for long-distance hikers of trails like the Appalachian Trail, PCT, and others including the Camino. It is insanely light stuff. My total backpack weight was 14 pounds, and I had a sleeping bag because I walked the Camino in the fall. Check out their site:
View attachment 22733

Hey Pete, have you done your camino yet? I'm curious how did your zpack performed, what size pack did you get? how it work out for you? Thanks for help

Zzotte

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
keep the amount to the minimum as low as you can... no stove no cosmetics - forget about this except some mosturizer :))
but don't forget the light-weight sleeping bag and poncho when it rains - very usefuul belive me !

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hey Pete, have you done your camino yet? I'm curious how did your zpack performed, what size pack did you get? how it work out for you? Thanks for help

Zzotte
I got the 52 liter pack and it held up great - no problems. My gear was under 15 pounds, but during one stretch I carried some of a friend's gear (she was having a challenging time), plus extra food and water. I think the weight was about 25 pounds at that point, and the pack still felt great. I ordered the extra wide hip belt. I did the CF in 32 days - which included 2 rest days (September 2015). I am doing the Camino Portugués next September before I kayak the Douro River across Portugal.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
if you use an umbrella - what about trekking poles if you are going up or down a steep incline?
I opted not to use trekking poles or a walking stick. Strictly a personal preference. I didn't regret not having them, but I have good knees and good balance.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I carry a Z-pack Groundsheet - poncho (5.1 oz)
I read an in depth review/blog of a gentleman who started out using this, and then wanted to experiment with other things...so he did. Rain jackets, other kinds of ponchos, and a couple of other things, of which I can't remember, but what I do remember is that he said he went full circle and came back to this particular poncho!! :rolleyes:

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
A face cloth ... I love my face cloth. I lost it along the way when it was clipped to my bag to dry and no shower was ever the same following. I really really missed my face cloth.

if you use an umbrella - what about trekking poles if you are going up or down a steep incline?
Handless umbrella. Eorischrim sells one, or you can rig a system on your backpack. Plus, ypu don't always need the poles. You'll be fine without them here and there when ot rains, especially if on tarmak. If terrain get difficult, then just get rained on for that bit, but when the terrain is difficult it's normally in the woods, and you don't get as much rain.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Angie, I'm loving this thread!!
A window into the things other pilgrims really need--and I never thought of.
@SYates's tupperware, for example.
Problem is, I keep getting good new ideas here and my pack already will weigh 10 kilos, pared down (I'm an early spring walker)!:D

one of the neatest things I have picked up (saw it on someone's you tube video who did a camino) was a Buff (never had heard of it before) I have been using it for a couple of weeks now. LOVE IT! Bandana, neck scarf, head scarf, ponytail holder, ear muffs....and the list goes on. This morning my hike started out quite cold and it kept my ears and top of my head perfectly warm. The rest of the day I use it like a alice bandhead band.jpg

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Rain or shine the umbrella is your best friend trek poles it's not a problem with a hands free umbrella

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 30
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Well it is silly but try not to lose your towel, it may take a few days to replace.. :)

In my opinion a very valuable item. When I lost the second one I thought about my golden retriever, she dries quickly rolling in grass. Yet a grey old man running for grass might be, well, at the very least unacceptable. So test attaching items on your pack to dry or your memory were you left it to dry in the alburgue.

Well it is silly but try not to lose your towel, it may take a few days to replace.. :)

In my opinion a very valuable item. When I lost the second one I thought about my golden retriever, she dries quickly rolling in grass. Yet a grey old man running for grass might be, well, at the very least unacceptable. So test attaching items on your pack to dry or your memory were you left it to dry in the alburgue.
Thanks for sparing us MT!:eek::oops: (Blush...)
And it just struck me how I've been taking this completely for granted. Yes. Definitely essential. (Or a sarong that can double as one...)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

I keep a few essentials very nearby, in a pocket or bum bag, etc.--chapstick with uv protection, a small container of hand sanitizer, a little baggy with tissue (and a second baggy for used tissue). Also, keep the liter of water full, and don't forget to take a discerning glance at the fountain. If it's flowing from a green tank, give it a miss. Just saying!

I use Sea to Summit waterproof bags for clothing, and was given an Altus Poncho, which I used as a blanket on cold nights--and there were COLD nights.

Your tops: one heavier smart wool, and one VERY light nylon shirt with long sleeves--with uv protection--works well. You will need to get used to layering those tops. Don't let yourself get wet and hot. You'll get sick.

Take tights. Take tights shorts. Don't bother with the zip-off pants--but do take a pair of long pants, to wear over your tights, your shorts tights, or both! Again, layer against cold.

My tech was my phone i phone 6s---flashlight, camera, phone home, music, map, booking air tickets, social media. It was lovely to have along.

GREAT post, and thanks for letting me roll around in the memory of my packed items!

As a post script, I left room in my little bum bag for rocks I picked up along the way....Yes, I am that person. It got out of control for awhile....

Second PS--I carried a lipstick, earrings, and a necklace...

I always walk with a small pocket knife in a belt holster which includes, a good sharp blade for opening those infuriating vacuum sealed plastic packages of anything that are impregnable to tearing, teeth, or brute strength or for cutting a bootlace that is all knotted and more importantly for slicing cheese salami bread or chorizo and dividing fruit among friends; a corkscrew for something nice to drink with my cheese, chorizo, fruit,; an awl to make a new hole in my belt around the time I hit Astorga; a bottle opener; and a can opener. Such a knife is small compact and weighs very little and I find one indispensable!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I agree with the sarong - my most useful item. It's lightweight, packs small and acts as a private changing room, only clothing used to the shower and back, a pillow case or extra blanket, etc.

Another useful item is a regular washcloth. I hate showering without one but once the shower is over, I rinse it and wring it and it doubles as the only towel I use.

Finally, my main luxury item is a thin length of rope and some paper binder clips. I often seem to run out of room on the albergue clothesline and in the occasional hotel room, they are invaluable. The binder clips are smaller, lighter, stronger than clothespins and don't poke holes in clothing like safety pins.

A thin silk shirt - works for sun protection, a tiny bit of wind protection, an extra layer between my fast-drying t-shirt and fleece jacket, keeps the insides of my elbows from chafing against my backpack straps when I haven't adjusted everything properly, plus I feel really stylish in the evenings since it matches my wool scarf (thin Liberty wool, big enough to wrap a pillow, thin enough to dry in a couple of hours when I wash it)...

I also love my Crocs, for shower wear, wearing while doing laundry, walking around in the evening, and to stave off incipient blisters. I just wish they didn't take up half my backpack...

€60,-
Angie, (this name is special to me... will tell you why when we meet... amen). I walk with 6 maybe 7 kilos. MAX. I've learned there's so much one doesn't NEED as a pilgrim. And this has been proven to me over and over again. I do not compromise on underwear and socks... they are a must for me..... fresh change every morning. But two sets of clothing is all I need and that's all I carry. The Camino Provides... which is true. I heard of a girl doing her first Camino and this lovely thing came prepared "with her high-heels for evening wear". Its my understanding she'd shipped off all this back in no time at all: this wonderful pilgrim had a backpack weight 18 kilos !!!! Of clothing and shoes. Oh.. we learn. Buen Camino, sister

But plastic bags are see through, lighter and cheaper!

Packing cubes have a net top so you can see what's in them, as well as not retaining air when stuffing them in your backpack. They weigh next to nothing and are shaped for ease of packing. They do cost more than a plastic bag, but I've had mine for years now and use them whenever I travel . . . . . . . . . even for trips not on the camino. ;)

Once you use them, you'll never be the same. :)

€83,-
Finally, my main luxury item is a thin length of rope and some paper binder clips. I often seem to run out of room on the albergue clothesline and in the occasional hotel room, they are invaluable. The binder clips are smaller, lighter, stronger than clothespins and don't poke holes in clothing like safety pins.

Thanks for the idea on the binder clips. I have a clothesline I made out of parachute cord and I use safety pins for clothes pins. They will work fine for socks and underwear, but now I'll have binder clips for shirts and pants.

View attachment 22733

What good info!

Wooden Clothespins - You will need them to dry your clothes either at albergues or pinning wet clothing to the outside of your pack to dry as you walk in the morning:)

€60,-
Living here in NW Washington our training is always in the rain. Just to be dry we lined our pack with a dry bag so everything goes into it and stays dry. We have smaller dry bags for the top compartments. We have good rain jackets but prefer a poncho over it. We just purchased Ribz front packs to help even the load. (ribzwear.com). Easy access while you are moving. Carry snacks, gloves, sunglasses, cell phone/camera and whatever you need to get to quickly. Spray some sort of rain off tent conditioner because it is not waterproof, but that is why the poncho

I have extra time on my hands today so I decided to start a new thread. I have already gained so many cool ideas and tips as I have read and researched blogs, youtube videos and surfed the internet. I am an absolute "newbie" at all of this and have not even done a camino yet...but am getting my gear together, studying my Spanish and training with my pack and weight now. I knew NOTHING of backpacks before deciding to do this trek. I am healthy but not really athletic, not really a camper nor even a hiker! The longest walk I ever took was 3 miles and I thought that was really something! HAH! I did not know what merino wool was or why it is important for something like this - or what kind of clothing was 'quik-dry'. I never even heard of a "hiking sandal" :) I have been learning everything from scratch and it has already been quite an adventure. I thought it might be interesting to find out what other's experiences were after having done a camino. What is your handiest packing "hack" and what was your most favorite item you brought on the camino? What say you pilgrims???

2 light things you need: (1) collapsible liter-size bladder for wine. Wine is expensive by the glass but cheap by the bottle and free at most pilgrim meals. Take the leftover with you. (2) a short extension cord with multiple-receptacle end. You'll often find someone else using the only handy wall receptacle; plug yourself and them into your cord. Also, it'll help you to surf in bed. At one memorable albergue (Afozra), the only receptacles are in the hall baseboards outside the sleeping compartments. Your cord is essential there!

well dkenagy thanks for the tip on the bladder for wine, but I don't drink (clean & sober and in recovery 21 years!! :)) and actually I have been a bit concerned about that...seems like a lot of vino consumption goin' on - which is fine by me, to each their own...but hope there is alternatives for those of us who turn into unruly characters when they imbibe! :p My favorite drink is lemonade. I am hoping there will be fresh lemonade at some junctures - I have read a lot about fresh squeezed orange juice, which is just fine too.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Zzotte

Nearly all my "heavy" gear is from zPacks
pack - 52 litre
poncho - double (and doubles up as a ground sheet
rain kilt - my preferred outer wear - no shorts - no heat build up
tent (intend doing some away from civilization walks later)
The only disaster has been a seam on the rain kilt came away when ascending a steep muddy bank and I did some involuntray descending.

My light weight gear is nearly all Sea to Summit
dry sac 2 litre - socks
dry sac 4 litre - for all clothing not being worn
dry sac 8 litre - for my 10" android tablet
sink - 10 litre - to bathe feet - about 50 gram

clothing is a mix - mainly local production
tops - 2 long sleeve 3 short sleeve in the pack (1 button up cotton
socks - 2 pair in the pack
windcheater - about 70 gram
light gloves and beanie
towel - 95 gram microfibre
scuff slippers for use when stopped for the dlothersay

all up just over 5 kg - before water

Wear on the day, usually:
rain kilt and light weight knickers
short sleeve top
home made bandana
wide brimmed hat

I've done about 800 km with this gear and it holds up well

As a result of these and other threads I'm looking at a longyi (thanks Viranani) and a spare to act as a towel

I always walk with a small pocket knife in a belt holster which includes, a good sharp blade for opening those infuriating vacuum sealed plastic packages of anything that are impregnable to tearing, teeth, or brute strength or for cutting a bootlace that is all knotted and more importantly for slicing cheese salami bread or chorizo and dividing fruit among friends; a corkscrew for something nice to drink with my cheese, chorizo, fruit,; an awl to make a new hole in my belt around the time I hit Astorga; a bottle opener; and a can opener. Such a knife is small compact and weighs very little and I find one indispensable!

Did you check your back pack to get the knife through security?

Thanks Alwyn, I checking with zPacks I'm looking into Elements Horizon also theirs come with load lifters which I find useful but zPacks has a frame o_O decisions decisions

zzotte

well dkenagy thanks for the tip on the bladder for wine, but I don't drink (clean & sober and in recovery 21 years!! :)) and actually I have been a bit concerned about that...seems like a lot of vino consumption goin' on - which is fine by me, to each their own...but hope there is alternatives for those of us who turn into unruly characters when they imbibe! :p My favorite drink is lemonade. I am hoping there will be fresh lemonade at some junctures - I have read a lot about fresh squeezed orange juice, which is just fine too.

I am also a non-drinker. I read you get wine with your meals so I plan on giving it to anyone around - maybe trade them my wine for some veggies, ha!

A small tip: I chose a backpack that would pass as hand luggage, for 3 reasons:

1. Not possible to do excess packing,
2. No luggage loss/total control on the trip,
3. No waiting after landing: Straight away from the airport.

I consider no. 1 as most important.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Do you think Osprey Talon 33 go as hand luggage?

I am also a non-drinker. I read you get wine with your meals so I plan on giving it to anyone around - maybe trade them my wine for some veggies, ha!
It's usually wine or water, as the water is bottled and costs the same as the wine that is served. There was a thread on the forum last summer, I think it was "Friends of Bill W", if you are interested in reading it.

Hello there! I think you've already had all the advice you need :)
When are you doing your Camino? You need fewer things in Summer, I find a poncho is all I need as rain cover for the Camino francés in July/August. Clothes dry more easily too, so only 1 spare change of clothes.
What I find most useful is a sarong, already mentioned and a buff. I took an umbrella on the Via de la Plata as protection against the sun but wouldn't bring it on the CF. I find a sun hat is sufficient (but we all differ) :)
Happy planning!

I am not a non drinker, but I don't imbibe too often. I usually just drink water. Because of medical condition I dehydrate easily and alcohol helps dehydration along. Morning coffee or tea and water through out the rest of the day is fine. I am told that a bottle of wine is less expensive than a bottle of water. Thank God for water faucets along the way.

€149,-
If your a non drinker, be aware of those darn Aussies, Germans, Norwegians, Italians, Irish, Americans, Mexicans, Candians, Brits, Scott's, Spanish & Brazilians.
Don't say you weren't warned :)

If I left out any please feel free to add "them" in. I don't want to have anyone feeling left out.
Buen Camino

Do you think Osprey Talon 33 go as hand luggage?
I walked with an Osprey Talon 33 and carried it on the plane fully packed. It is my current carry-on of choice. Wherever I fly, I try to carry on only because lost or delayed luggage is not fun - especially at the beginning of a trip!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

How did you get your trekking poles thru security with your carry on? Do you carry a pocket knife?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I'll list my non-negotiables (not including health and safety items). My Macabi Skirt, my WrightSocks and my Keen Verdi II Mids. I could loose everything else, replace with whatever and as long as I had those 3 items I'd still be a happy hiker!! Most helpful items? A sense of adventure, a sense of humor and my little Lonely Planet Spanish Phrase book that I used when I was sick. Translated and wrote down my symptoms for the emergency clinic when I went in with what ended up being pneumonia!!

These are fantastic. They weigh next to nothing, are water resistant and come in different sizes and colours. Almost everything I bring is organized into these now . Makes packing and unpacking very easy and keeps items together rather than being strewn all over my bunk...(like my first camino :rolleyes:)

http://www.jet-setter.ca/collections/packing-cubes/products/pack-it-specter-cube-set
But they cost an arm and a leg. i have a mini Ipad case and meds/beauty care case from them. Good old mesh bags will do for a fraction of the price. Because I have yet to believe the Others are water proof.

Last edited by a moderator:
But they cost an arm and a leg. i have a mini Ipad case and meda/beauty care case from them. Good old mesh bags will do for a fraction of the price. Because I have yet to believe the Others are water proof.
You are absolutely correct - they are expensive. However, I took pleasure in them every time I packed my backpack, so they were worth it!

But they cost an arm and a leg. i have a mini Ipad case and meda/beauty care case from them. Good old mesh bags will do for a fraction of the price. Because I have yet to believe the Others are water proof.

Initial cost expensive, yes. But they have proven to be very cost effective for me as I've used them on 3 caminos now as well as during my extensive travels elsewhere. Handy, durable and water resistant (not proof). Things have stayed very dry through all sorts of weather conditions.

Last edited:
Initial cost expensive, yes. But they have proven to be very cost effective for me as I've used them on 3 caminos now as well as during my extensive travels elsewhere. Handy, durable and water resistant (not proof). Things have stayed very dry through all sorts of weather conditions.
But since they are just "nice to have" not needed, that is $$$. Mind you, I like to carry a hanging pahrma kit.

These are fantastic. They weigh next to nothing, are water resistant and come in different sizes and colours. Almost everything I bring is organized into these now . Makes packing and unpacking very easy and keeps items together rather than being strewn all over my bunk...(like my first camino :rolleyes:)

Amen!!!!

I have found that a 35L backpack or below is ideal. Weighs out at like 15lbs (7kg?) when packed with the right stuff....

Now since a good portion of this thread so far has been dedicated to hydration (vino or otherwise) I will share something I've learned along the way.

Any performance trainer worth his salt will tell you that a constant and steady supply of liquids will enhance your performance.

Now, to achieve such a thing, you have to make that water you carry readily accesible. You have some options... With most backpacks, a water bottle will be placed in the side bags, requiring me to act like a turtle on my back to try to get at the source, without taking the whole pack off. Its so uncomfortable I may wait till the next stop, or the next, to get a sip... and thusly not achieve constant and steady.

Now comes the camelbak or equivalent bladders. These sit somewhere in your pack designed for them. They allow you to take sips, along the way, whenever you choose, with little effort. You fill them in the morning before you leave, they are nicely balanced in you pack...

But along the day, sipping, at somepoint I wonder, just how much water do I have left in there?

With a bladder you HAVE to remove your pack, draw out said bladder (which is not so easy to do) check its levels and then fill it clumsily, and replace it back in your cramped pack once full.

The solution, and I am embarrased again to bring it up, is the SmartTube. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000GM6LWS/?tag=casaivar02-20

Bottles on your side, clearly visible contents.

Constant hydration via a tube like a bladder. When you need to refill, no need to open zippers.

Oh, and no need to clean... when a bottle has worn out its welcome having been refilled too many times in some random pit stop bathroom, buy another two liter along the way for about 2E, and proceed to reuse.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

They seem to be "regular" in size, that is they do not appear to scrunch up.

So, how well do they adjust to fitting into nooks and crannies?

They seem to be "regular" in size, that is they do not appear to scrunch up.

So, how well do they adjust to fitting into nooks and crannies?

They come in different sizes, are very malleable and they scrunch up very small - perfect for the tiniest of nooks and crannies.

Last edited:
Along with my binoculars - well opera glasses actually - which save a bad crick in the neck from admiring retablos and rubbernecking cathedrals, my compass, and my trekking poles which must be checked anyway.

Along with my binoculars - well opera glasses actually - which save a bad crick in the neck from admiring retablos and rubbernecking cathedrals, my compass, and my trekking poles which must be checked anyway.
Binoculars for retablos I can buy, but a compas? What for?

I don't . I buy a pole when in Spain for 5 Euros. I also buy a cheap lightweight knife (not pocket type) in a Spanish general store. Price: 50 cent.

Thanks for the tip. I will plan on checking my poles or buying new ones. I am a little concerned about training with one set of poles and walking the Camino with another but I will start experimenting with that now.

Binoculars for retablos I can buy, but a compas? What for?
My compass is a family heirloom, given to my father by my grandfather and then passed on to me 55 years ago. Never go walking/hiking/pilgrimaging without it. Almost taken by me in security several years ago as a "suspicious object" so I pack it up.

I also buy a cheap lightweight knife (not pocket type) in a Spanish general store. Price: 50 cent.

Thanks. My Swiss Army Knife (which I have used about 3 times to cut up apples to feed to horses . . . . . . and also a pig) has made it's last camino.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Thanks. My Swiss Army Knife (which I have used about 3 times to cut up apples to feed to horses . . . . . . and also a pig) has made it's last camino.
:) You won't miss it.

Many pilgrims come over-prepared, and need to dump lots of heavy stuff the first days. On my first Camino I brought a 750 grams bicycle chain lock: The idea was to lock my pack to something bigger if I had to leave it, not understanding that a little knife was all a thief needed to cut my pack open... Was never used. I brought it home and then threw it. Should have done it the first day... :rolleyes:

As you can tell, I have become an experienced pilgrim. I can see that many new pilgrims do not fully understand that Spain is a highly developed European country, with flawless communications, well-equipped shops, even in most villages, and not least, most items cost a fraction of what you have to pay back home. 6 years ago I bought a pair of reinforced socks (5 Euros) in Castrojeriz, and they are still god as new, compared to triple-priced Norw. ones!

Tin cans most often are sold with flip-opening; no need for a can opener. Corck screw you will need: Buy one in Spain.

Most albergues are well-equipped: Go to the local store, buy stuff, and prepare dinner with new friends: Typically, each will pay 3-5 Euros for dinner incl. wine. If the albergue isn't equipped, dine out together for 10 Euros each.

Spain is actually so cheap, I have more money in my bank account when I return than when I left home. Incl. travel fees paid...

Do not be afraid. But know a few Spanish phrases. Buy a small parlour.

Buen Camino!

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
On my first Camino I brought a 750 grams bicycle chain lock: The idea was to lock my pack to something bigger if I had to leave it, not understanding that a little knife was all a thief needed to cut my pack open... Was never used. I brought it home and then threw it.

As did I. I had the bicycle lock on my first Camino (that I never used). On the next one I carried huge zip ties (that I never used). The next one I didn't carry any kind of lock. ;)

You can bring a knife only in your checked luggage. No matter how small they will confiscate it, I know down at least 4 knives.

It was on sale for 699 Danish kroner normal price 899kr :)
That was a bargain. I hope it includes a hip and chest strap?

But I feel like I am hijacking the OP's thread, so I'll try to get it on track:

My favorite item: The smaller pack, that needs you to REALLY rethink and plan what you need, as opposed to what you want. As been said over and over again, in countless threads, people bring too much, do not understand that forgotten items can be supplied en route, and some are just impossible to understand, like bringing a HAIR DRYER in one's pack... Yes, it's been seen... A hair dryer in sunny Spain...

It's all about being efficient and lightweight, and thinking out of the box reg. daily routines. Safety pins weighs nothing, can be pinned outside your pack, take care of drying on lines in the albergue, and used to dry your clothes (incl. underwear, indeed) on your backpack while en route. And you will not lose your items.

Personal: F.ex. I seldom line up in ques to brush my teeth in the morning: I did them last night, and I will do them again after lunch. I do not line up in que to shave: What's wrong with a worn-down pilgrim beard? If you really need to shave, do it on a relaxed afternoon instead. Just get going.

I do not repack in the morning at 5 o'clock: Before I go to bed, everything is prepared. I wake up, and 10 mins. afterwards I'm out of there, heading for a coffee, and then move on. Break your routines from home. Manage with less. Wash clothes more often in the afternoon. You only need 2 (max 3) underwear, socks, t-shirts. Something wears down; buy a new in Spain. Cheaper.

These kinds of practicalities. IMHO.

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.

Most read last week in this forum

Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
From a friend on the ground in Pamplona https://www.noticiasdenavarra.com/fotos/general/sociedad/2024/04/23/nieve-primaveral-presente-navarra-8152386.html

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back