• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Paving, dirt, gravel, or...?

teambergie

Time of past OR future Camino
Portugese 2022 Frances May 2024
Hello. Having done the Portugese Central from Porto a few years ago, we will be doing the Frances from Leon this April. Searching the forums for footwear suggestions, we (wife and I) decided on, and have been training in Brooks Glycerin 21's. They are super comfy and light. However, we're concerned about the tread pattern, as they are great for pavement, well worn/compacted dirt/gravel roads, and cobblestone, what about trail conditions where a more aggressive tread pattern (Vibram?) might be better? I guess my question is: from Leon, having done this section in the past, can any pilgrim venture a guess as to what percentage of this section is pavement/gravel/dirt road? Any real steep sections where a trail runner might be more appropriate? We thought about bringing a second pair of shoes just for this situation, but that idea got scrapped real quick because of weight/cost! We can exchange our Brooks for trail runners. We will be using trekking poles. Also, we are spending three months in Spain, so really just want to bring one pair of shoes that will work while we explore the country. The Brooks seem like the perfect solution, except for parts of the trail where their tread might not be suitable. If the trail doesn't have real challenging sections in great abundance where trail runners would be better, and would also be a good shoe for our three months in Spain, then we'll stick with the Brooks Glycerin. I remember on the Portugese there was really only one short section of steep up/down real "trail" conditions where I was glad I was wearing Solomon Cross Trail boots. Thanks for any knowledge you can provide. Buen Camino 2024!

Attachments

• Brooks.jpeg
    Brooks.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 6,053
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The Brooks seem like the perfect solution, except for parts of the trail where their tread might not be suitable.
No single pair of shoes/boots/sandals will be perfect for every condition you might encounter. The best you can do is find the most comfortable shoes that are generally suitable for most conditions. Then you take a little extra care on those few sections where another type of shoe might be preferable.

My main question is whether you know how long those shoes will last for you? My shoes only provide the cushioning and support that I need for 400-500 km.

I base my shoe selection 100% on comfort for walking in neutral conditions. Because my feet are ancient, hard to fit and they need a particular type of support, when I am walking more than 400-500 km, I have started to take a second pair, but not any other evening/albergue footwear.

No single pair of shoes/boots/sandals will be perfect for every condition you might encounter. The best you can do is find the most comfortable shoes that are generally suitable for most conditions. Then you take a little extra care on those few sections where another type of shoe might be preferable.

My main question is whether you know how long those shoes will last for you? My shoes only provide the cushioning and support that I need for 400-500 km.

I base my shoe selection 100% on comfort for walking in neutral conditions. Because my feet are ancient, hard to fit and they need a particular type of support, when I am walking more than 400-500 km, I have started to take a second pair, but not any other evening/albergue footwear.
Thanks, good advice! We're always super careful on those downhill sections. We've done many miles of backcountry backpacking without any injuries, but wearing full-on hiking boots!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Well for sure the section down from Cruz de Ferro to Molinaseca is one of the most demanding descents on the CF, but you should be ok in what you are suggesting, I think especially if you are using walking poles?

Well for sure the section down from Cruz de Ferro to Molinaseca is one of the most demanding descents on the CF, but you should be ok in what you are suggesting, I think especially if you are using walking poles?
Thanks. Yes, using trekking poles really adds a measure of stability, especially downhill. "Loose-on-hard" (loser kies?) demands attention!

Hello. Having done the Portugese Central from Porto a few years ago, we will be doing the Frances from Leon this April. Searching the forums for footwear suggestions, we (wife and I) decided on, and have been training in Brooks Glycerin 21's. They are super comfy and light. However, we're concerned about the tread pattern, as they are great for pavement, well worn/compacted dirt/gravel roads, and cobblestone, what about trail conditions where a more aggressive tread pattern (Vibram?) might be better? I guess my question is: from Leon, having done this section in the past, can any pilgrim venture a guess as to what percentage of this section is pavement/gravel/dirt road? Any real steep sections where a trail runner might be more appropriate? We thought about bringing a second pair of shoes just for this situation, but that idea got scrapped real quick because of weight/cost! We can exchange our Brooks for trail runners. We will be using trekking poles. Also, we are spending three months in Spain, so really just want to bring one pair of shoes that will work while we explore the country. The Brooks seem like the perfect solution, except for parts of the trail where their tread might not be suitable. If the trail doesn't have real challenging sections in great abundance where trail runners would be better, and would also be a good shoe for our three months in Spain, then we'll stick with the Brooks Glycerin. I remember on the Portugese there was really only one short section of steep up/down real "trail" conditions where I was glad I was wearing Solomon Cross Trail boots. Thanks for any knowledge you can provide. Buen Camino 2024!
C clearly is 100% correct. No shoe is perfect, no backpack, no nothing. Don't stress. I have work Brooks for all my caminos. I wear Brooks Cascadias. They are not perfect on every surface but they are light, super comfortable, of course like all trail runners, no break in. Dry fast and I haven't had a blister in years. Just ordered my new pair of Cascadias for this year's camino. I also walk about 1000K for each camino and they hold up great. am wearing my old Cascadias now when I walk in the morning and will continue to do so until I leave in October for my next camino. If you love Brooks, maybe the Cascadias may be your answer.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Ancient feet, I love it. How about the rest of you?

I wore a pair of Hoka Speedgoat 5s because they had a Vibram sole. Did a nice job of gripping on the rocky surfaces and helped me survive a damp descent into Portomarin (along with my poles). Walked from St. Jean and had sufficient tread remaining when I reached Santiago.

C clearly is 100% correct. No shoe is perfect, no backpack, no nothing. Don't stress. I have work Brooks for all my caminos. I wear Brooks Cascadias. They are not perfect on every surface but they are light, super comfortable, of course like all trail runners, no break in. Dry fast and I haven't had a blister in years. Just ordered my new pair of Cascadias for this year's camino. I also walk about 1000K for each camino and they hold up great. am wearing my old Cascadias now when I walk in the morning and will continue to do so until I leave in October for my next camino. If you love Brooks, maybe the Cascadias may be your answer.
Thanks! Since we will be walking quite a bit before and after our Camino, I think the Brooks will be the best all-around shoe choice.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
The treads on the boots will not matter.

What does matter is the time you spend training in them a home before your Camino.

-Paul

Hi Teambergie... I walked Leon to Santiago 2 years ago late April. Started out with Keen light hiking boots then ditched them due to blisters. I had also brought along some Keen sandals which I LOVED.. and thats all I wore the entire walk. I also used poles for the steeper bits but tbh those 'steep' parts wernt a patch on other walks here in NZ Ive done...enjoy your Camino!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I have just bought a pair of trail runners Merrell gortex which I am wearing on my Camino this year from Sarria To Santiago
I did a lot of research here in Australia and your forum has helped me choose which is very comfortable
Price $195Aus
I usually wear Merrell boots on other walks and my advice is try on a range of shoes and take your time to choose what suits you
Alaconda had the best choice for me
Good luck

Attachments

• C3665E6C-084C-4F7D-8A3A-9775C1B5C4CD.jpeg
    C3665E6C-084C-4F7D-8A3A-9775C1B5C4CD.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 6
  • 0D18715F-41EA-4041-B13D-82E6745147A5.jpeg
    0D18715F-41EA-4041-B13D-82E6745147A5.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 10
I have just bought a pair of trail runners Merrell gortex which I am wearing on my Camino this year from Sarria To Santiago
I did a lot of research here in Australia and your forum has helped me choose which is very comfortable
Price $195Aus
I usually wear Merrell boots on other walks and my advice is try on a range of shoes and take your time to choose what suits you
Alaconda had the best choice for me
Good luck
Thanks! I have always worn Merrell's; they're a great shoe! Today just tried on and purchased the Brooks Caldera 7 trail runner. Same cushion rating as the Glycerin 21, but with a more rugged tread. Buen Camino!

this section is pavement/gravel/dirt road
Hi, I´ve edited the thread title to read ´Paving, etc´ This is because the word ´pavement´ can be misunderstood. In the UK, Ireland, Australia, NZ and other English speaking countries it will be understood as what North Americans refer to as ´sidewalk´. i hope you don´t mind.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi, I´ve edited the thread title to read ´Paving, etc´ This is because the word ´pavement´ can be misunderstood. In the UK, Ireland, Australia, NZ and other English speaking countries it will be understood as what North Americans refer to as ´sidewalk´. i hope you don´t mind.
Not at all, thanks for the clarification.

I remember clearly that rocky descent into Portomarin in the dark and rain with a head torch. I thought it was the most dangerous part of my camino. I heavily relied on my walking poles. I thought if I fell down here what would happen? I walked up the stairs after the bridge to a wonderful albergue where the manager directed me to the restaurant above in sign language advising me to eat and then shower.

I remember clearly that rocky descent into Portomarin in the dark and rain with a head torch. I thought it was the most dangerous part of my camino. I heavily relied on my walking poles. I thought if I fell down here what would happen? I walked up the stairs after the bridge to a wonderful albergue where the manager directed me to the restaurant above in sign language advising me to eat and then shower.
Wow, yikes! We're certainly going to try to avoid situations like this...that descent I mean! Dinner and a shower sounds great.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Most trail runners do well on all surfaces.
I used New Balance Gobis, which were great.
Remember to size up one notch.
Your feet will thank you down the trail!
This was in Leon, where I switched shoes (from my care package mailed from Madrid 😊)
Walking poles...YES!!
Buen Camino

Attachments

• IMG_4696.jpeg
    IMG_4696.jpeg
    896.6 KB · Views: 7
Most trail runners do well on all surfaces.
I used New Balance Gobis, which were great.
Remember to size up one notch.
Your feet will thank you down the trail!
This was in Leon, where I switched shoes (from my care package mailed from Madrid 😊)
Walking poles...YES!!
Buen Camino
Thanks! We both returned our Brooks Glycerin 21's for trail runners; I went for the Brooks Caldera 7 and my wife the Asics Trabuco 3 Max. Super light, max cushion, and comfortable. Is that a new pair of Gobis to replace an older pair, or did you switch shoe type? Poles...yes, definitely! Don't want to carry our beloved Black Diamond poles from the States and while we're in Spain before (1 month) we start the Camino Frances in Leon. Decathalon in Leon emailed me stating they have a very good supply/selection of "bastiones" Buen Camino!

Thanks! We both returned our Brooks Glycerin 21's for trail runners; I went for the Brooks Caldera 7 and my wife the Asics Trabuco 3 Max. Super light, max cushion, and comfortable. Is that a new pair of Gobis to replace an older pair, or did you switch shoe type? Poles...yes, definitely! Don't want to carry our beloved Black Diamond poles from the States and while we're in Spain before (1 month) we start the Camino Frances in Leon. Decathalon in Leon emailed me stating they have a very good supply/selection of "bastiones" Buen Camino!
That was a broken-in, but new pair of the same Gobis. Didn't want to switch shoe type in the middle; just switch due to wear & tear, as you can see!
P.S. I took my beloved Para poles in a small suitcase, which I sent through baggage with other non-carryon items. Sent that to Ivar from Madrid and picked up when I finished.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I find the Brooks Glycerin 21st super comfy and my podiatrist wants me to stick to these for this reason.

I find the Brooks Glycerin 21st super comfy and my podiatrist wants me to stick to these for this reason.
True; we found them super comfy also, like walking on pillows. But, we were concerned that the tread was intended more for streets and such, so went with the trail runners, which also have max cushioning.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Hi! I am 15 days out from my Camino, and suddenly my Buen Camino app is crashing every time I try to look at my stages! I have rebooted my phone, done the "restore app" within the app, rebooted...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.