• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Peanut Butter on the Camino Frances?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Looks like perfect pure peanut butter. I'm curious if that is a long-standing food in Spain or a recent addition to cater for tourist preferences.

The alternative would be to introduce your vegetarian client to good Spanish jamon as one of the fine cultural experiences of spending time in Spain. Bocadillo jamon is one of the simple delights for breakfast or a mid morning snack.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I found some at the supermercado off the main square in Astoria in 2019. I was eating it elsswy when I overheard someone say to their companion, "He must be American. He's eating peanut butter!" Got the record, I am.
Enjoy, B'man

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

vegetarian peanut butter, health food stores finds.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I just had a client who is a vegetarian ask me if she could find peanut butter on the Camino Frances.
You know... I don't know!
I don't eat it and don't recall seeing it.

I see notes from 2013 about finding it.
Do you think it's still possible?

Anyone?
good luck, I carried a large jar of it and none of the Europeans wanted any, eventually I left it in an Albergue in Sarria. I have seen it at Corte Engles but is very dark. Bring your own.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
We found some in a major grocery store in either Leon or Burgos, but otherwise it was non-existent. Nothing like a PB and banana sandwich on fresh bread for an energy boost while walking

if you are passing through Ireland, I could pass you on a jar at the airport! if not, head to Eroski, and any other regional supermarket..

Screenshot 2021-06-08 at 10.21.29.png

I just had a client who is a vegetarian ask me if she could find peanut butter on the Camino Frances.

Anyone?
Of course Annie!

You just go to Costco Madrid or Costco Sevilla and purchase the 20 kilograms of peanut butter...

You simply need a bigger packsack 👍

A selection of Camino Jewellery
You might want to try the food floor of El Corte Ingles in any of the bigger Spanish cities. I know their Lisboa branch carries a huge variety of exotic, non-Iberian foods. That would likely be a good bet!

Currently they're working on their website, but you can normallly access it at https://www.elcorteingles.es
I saw it a few years ago at Corte Ingles it was very dark and sure didn't look appealing. Sorry, nothing like peanut butter from home.

Yes you can find peanut butter. Here in Galicia it is carried by every major chain, with some offering organic versions as well. Most is smooth, but you can find the chunky stuff from time to time (I get mine at Gadis). Not that you will seldom find it on the same shelf as the jams and jellies. They keep it closer to the Nutella.

And to answer another question from above, PB in Spain is a recent phenomenon. When I was a child it was impossible to get, unless you had a way into the BX in Torrejón.

Peanut butter is not an exclusive flavour to americans.
You‘ll find it in the Netherlands (Pindakaas), Belgium (Pindakaas/beurre de cacahuète), France (beurre de cacahuète) and Germany (Erdnussbutter) in any supermarket.
I can’t remember to have seen it in Spain, but I guess it will be available there in the bigger supermarkets as well (mantequilla de cacahuete).

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Good question @Anniesantiago. At home I eat mostly vegan, but when in Spain I embrace the diversity. That being said, I will be on the lookout for some peanut butter! It’s one of my favorite foods!

Santiago de Compostela- Snackies (Rúa da Caldeirería 29) for Jif and Reeses. I remember taking a photo because I was amazed at all the junk food. Peanut butter is also available at Taste of America in Madrid. 🥜🙂

This brand in the picture can be found in most supermarkets (I checked 3 supermarket chains in my town and they all have it). It can usually be found beside the chocolate spreads. You might miss it if you don't look carefully because it's not super popular and they don't stock large amounts, but it's there.
Bigger supermarkets might have more options, like the Mercadona one that was mentioned already.

IMG_5502.JPG

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Anyone?
Peanut butter is often tough to find and costly in Spain as it is not a part of the Spanish diet. Nutella is the European spread of choice. Your friend should try hummus instead. It is widely available. I ate it every day on my Madrid Camino four years ago.

Were it me, I would plan to take a week’s worth of peanut butter in individual serving envelopes. They sell it here in the US in some supermarkets. But is available online - Amazon.

The amount of packets you take is based on expected daily usage. Tote it in a ziplock bag.

On arrival at your starting town or city, shop for it in the local supermercados. Keep the supply of packets, as your emergency stash, in case you run out of the locally available variety.

A spork is useful for the bottom of the jar. I recommend a titanium spork, as it will “stand up” better to peanut butter in a jar.

Buen Provecho!

Hope this helps,

Tom

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Looks like perfect pure peanut butter. I'm curious if that is a long-standing food in Spain or a recent addition to cater for tourist preferences.

The alternative would be to introduce your vegetarian client to good Spanish jamon as one of the fine cultural experiences of spending time in Spain. Bocadillo jamon is one of the simple delights for breakfast or a mid morning snack.

Anyone?
I’m not vegan nor vegetarian. Having said that, I don’t dance a lot of meat. I’ve been Googling restaurants in the bigger cities!!!

Confronted by an almost-weeping-in-frustration Californian ten or so years ago on the Francese, I found some in a supermercado in Logroño without any trouble, and have noticed it in supermercados on a number of occasions. I imagine that a supermercado in any sizeable town will have it easily enough. I have been eating health-food-store-freshly-ground for some years and cannot abide mass-production stuff, so I am not even sure of brand names any more.

Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.
Out of curiosity, what is the texture of European crunchy peanut butter? Here in the UK, it tends to have a gritty texture, and is often very stiff, and the oil separates easily. Nothing like the texture of American mass produced PB like Skippy.
Whilst living in the Middle east, my husband acquired a liking for American mass produced crunchy peanut butter. He loves the smooth creamy texture with scattered nutty pieces. Until recently, it was not available in the UK apart from American food shops, when it cost a small fortune. Recently, Skippy seems to have started to be stocked. Sainsburys sells the smooth variety, and about a month ago, I was delighted to find that Morrisons stocks crunchy. My husband is so happy!!!!

The more complete grocery stores may have peanut butter. Just ask for "crema de cacahuette" - that's peanut butter in Spanish. Early-on in my 1st Camino, I tried to translate "peanut" and "butter", but store owners did not understand me. Once I discovered its Spanish name, I saw it in many places. Ate it with bananas and plain donuts many mornings. Mmmmmm!

I love peanut butter and eat it often when I am at home in the US. As a kid I ate Skippy, but now I eat Adams, the pure and oily stuff. However, the pb I have encountered in other countries is: 1. hard to find (usually, less so now than years ago); 2. expensive; and 3. subpar - too sweet, too gummy, lacking in flavor? I don’t know, but it has always been off and sometimes inedible. That’s been my experience.

If your client were my friend, I would tell her to bring a small supply, and when it runs out, explore the local foods. Travel gives you the opportunity to try new things, so be open, be flexible, and experience something new.

€60,-
Were it me, I would plan to take a week’s worth of peanut butter in individual serving envelopes. They sell it here in the US in some supermarkets. But is available online - Amazon.

The amount of packets you take is based on expected daily usage. Tote it in a ziplock bag.

On arrival at your starting town or city, shop for it in the local supermercados. Keep the supply of packets, as your emergency stash, in case you run out of the locally available variety.

A spork is useful for the bottom of the jar. I recommend a titanium spork, as it will “stand up” better to peanut butter in a jar.

Buen Provencho!

Hope this helps,

Tom
I love my titanium spork, and yes that is a bottle opener on the end.
A spork that can open a cold beer, too. That may rival sliced bread lol.
s-l1000.jpg

€60,-
The Capitan Mani is the brand we found and it’s very equivalent to USA made crunchy peanut butter. I think the variation between the “its everywhere” responses and “it’s nowhere” responses comes down to the size of the city where you are looking. Dependent upon what Camino route you walk, large cities may be few and far between.

Anyone?
How about Nutella? Hazelnut spread. Can.t remember if I saw that. It's British.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Yes you can find peanut butter. Here in Galicia it is carried by every major chain, with some offering organic versions as well. Most is smooth, but you can find the chunky stuff from time to time (I get mine at Gadis). Not that you will seldom find it on the same shelf as the jams and jellies. They keep it closer to the Nutella.

And to answer another question from above, PB in Spain is a recent phenomenon. When I was a child it was impossible to get, unless you had a way into the BX in Torrejón.
That’s where I got it in 1981 while studying in Valladolid! Our host family loved it, and also asked for Nescafé instant coffee 🤔

How about Nutella? Hazelnut spread. Can.t remember if I saw that. It's British.
Well, the brand is owned by Ferrero, which might make it Italian, although the company headquarters is in Luxembourg. Apparently, a quarter of the world's hazelnut production winds up in a Nutella jar - you know, the one that's designed so that a quarter of the Nutella adheres to the bits inside that you can't reach.

Last edited by a moderator:
Found it in some larger supermarkets...but not in many chains with smaller capacity. My sister likes it, but she says it tastes different?

WHERE did you find that spork, if I may ask?
amazon...there's a bunch of brands of them...the photo I attached is a stock one from the internet

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Anyone?
In 2017 while doing the camino norte I had brought my own large jar of Skippy peanut butter. Excellent camino snack. It was very popular in the alberges. When I finally ran out we eventually did find some peanut butter in random supermercados along the norte route but it was a rare find. Bring some along in your checked bag is my suggestion.😉

Peanut butter is a foodstuff that varies a lot between countries in flavour, aroma, and consistency.

To avoid disappointment, it might be easiest for the client to simply take an unopened jar(s) of her/his favourite brand from home. Major North American brands, for example, are packaged in robust clear plastic jars that can easily survive an air flight and living in a backpack for a while. I speak from experience.

PB, BTW, is an excellent emergency source of protein and could be a lifesaver under certain conditions such as being caught overnight, wet, on a cold mountaintop, with no stove.

Peanut butter is a foodstuff that varies a lot between countries in flavour, aroma, and consistency.

To avoid disappointment, it might be easiest for the client to simply take an unopened jar(s) of her/his favourite brand from home. Major North American brands, for example, are packaged in robust clear plastic jars that can easily survive an air flight and living in a backpack for a while. I speak from experience.

PB, BTW, is an excellent emergency source of protein and could be a lifesaver under certain conditions such as being caught overnight, wet, on a cold mountaintop, with no stove.
Well said and 100 % true.

Vainatti is a peanut butter that is produced in Galicia.
Among other places, it is sold in Sarria,

Azafran Delicastessen
Dirección: Rúa Diego Pazos, 27. Sarria.
Teléfono: 982 87 83 62
Horario: De lunes a viernes de 10:00 a 14:00 y de 17:00 a 21:00. Sábados de 10:00 a 14:00 y de 18:00 a 21:00.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I love peanut butter and eat it often when I am at home in the US. As a kid I ate Skippy, but now I eat Adams, the pure and oily stuff.
Me, too. I switched years ago from Skippy peanut butter to the natural chunky variety with oil that must be mixed in, has no added sugar and I actually prefer it. I only eat it on toast, but banana slices on top is a nice addition.

Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.

Anyone?

When I did Pig patrol, it was one of the things Rebecca asked me to bring, Skippy peanut butter.

View attachment 102127

Carrefour sells 100% peanut butter in a 500 gr jar.
Carrefour has supermarkets in the bigger towns.
In the web store, they offer this peanut butter as a 'sports food'.

I can confirm that this one is good. There is another brand captioned above Capitán Mani which I would not buy as there is sugar and other ingredients added whereas the Carrefour brand is 100% peanuts.

I'm walking the Primitivo at the moment and although I'm a vegan and a PN and mostly tahini eater (only found in health food stores) I wouldn't go so far as to carry a container! I do carry hummus which is much lighter and can also be found a Carrefour Express (smaller shops).

Related to the OP's question: I'm a huge fan of almond butter, but have never seen it along the way (that said, I've never looked hard or systematically). Spain grows almonds, in quantity. Surely there is also almond butter?

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Related to the OP's question: I'm a huge fan of almond butter, but have never seen it along the way (that said, I've never looked hard or systematically). Spain grows almonds, in quantity. Surely there is also almond butter?

1623229667238.png

Crema de Almendras, also called Mantequilla de Almendras, is available in health food stores and for instance at supermarkets like Carrefour.
This one has apparently been around since 1935 😋😋😋

€60,-
Strange, I would have thought children everywhere would like peanut butter. ;);)
I bought it for my daughter when she was younger, and she hated it. Very rarely see children eating peanut butter here in Ireland, certainly not any of the ones I know.

I would say Nutella is very popular here, and I'm a big fan of it myself. Lovely fresh white sliced pan, lathered in Nutella.... Mmm mmm mmmmm 😋

I bought it for my daughter when she was younger, and she hated it. Very rarely see children eating peanut butter here in Ireland, certainly not any of the ones I know.

I would say Nutella is very popular here, and I'm a big fan of it myself. Lovely fresh white sliced pan, lathered in Nutella.... Mmm mmm mmmmm 😋

Nutella! Now you're talking! :)

View attachment 102144

Crema de Almendras, also called Mantequilla de Almendras, is available in health food stores and for instance at supermarkets like Carrefour.
This one has apparently been around since 1935 😋😋😋
This is NOT the same as almond butter. I know. I bought it hoping it would be like PN butter but made from almonds which we have in The Netherlands. The above is sweet, not savory.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The above is sweet, not savory.
Nooooooooo. That must have been a disappointing shock.
I searched for crema de almendras sin azúcar and found there are many possibilities. A natural food store in any big city would have choice. But elsewhere...?

Strange, I would have thought children everywhere would like peanut butter. ;);)
Peanut butter is an acquired taste. I recall hosting some friends from Belgium at our Virginia home about 10 years ago. My wife was making me a PBJ (peanut butter and jelly) sandwich (some kids never grow up). She offered our guests a taste on a plain saltine cracker.

The look on their faces was priceless. You would have thought she was serving dog droppings. They clearly did not finish it.

Both of our friends were brought up on Nutella. This a classic European breakfast spread for toast and is essentially hazelnut butter with chocolate. As someone already mentioned, it contains a LOT of sugar.

That explained our guest's facial expressions. They expected a Nutella sort of taste, and got a peanut flavored, mildly salty pate. I will remember this forever. I chuckle every time I think of it.

This contrasts with 2017 when I walked from Lisbon. On the final segment from Porto, I was walking with several people, including an engineer from Germany. In conversation, I mentioned that I had several individual serving cups of American peanut butter. He got very excited and asked if I might have enough to share.

I recall I had about four or five cups left. I gave them all to him. He stopped right there and then opened a cup and ate it with his fingers. He had this blissful, angelic look on his face.

Remember, he grew up on Nutella, like most western European kids. He first experienced American peanut putter while on an assignment in the US.

I was happy to further international relations in this manner. These contains were my "iron rations" for if I got caught short along the way, and needed to find something to eat.

Hope this furthers the discussion.

Ultreia,

Tom

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Last I heard the only difference between peanut butter and roasted peanuts is that the butter was pre-chewed. What's the problem with buying peanuts -- available everywhere -- and chewing them a while before taking a bite of bread? In a couple of seconds you won't know the difference.

Peanut butter is an acquired taste. I recall hosting some friends from Belgium at our Virginia home about 10 years ago. My wife was making me a PBJ (peanut butter and jelly) sandwich (some kids never grow up). She offered our guests a taste on a plain saltine cracker.

The look on their faces was priceless. You would have thought she was serving dog droppings. They clearly did not finish it.

Both of our friends were brought up on Nutella. This a classic European breakfast spread for toast and is essentially hazelnut butter with chocolate. As someone already mentioned, it contains a LOT of sugar.

That explained our guest's facial expressions. They expected a Nutella sort of taste, and got a peanut flavored, mildly salty pate. I will remember this forever. I chuckle every time I think of it.

This contrasts with 2017 when I walked from Lisbon. On the final segment from Porto, I was walking with several people, including an engineer from Germany. In conversation, I mentioned that I had several individual serving cups of American peanut butter. He got very excited and asked if I might have enough to share.

I recall I had about four or five cups left. I gave them all to him. He stopped right there and then opened a cup and ate it with his fingers. He had this blissful, angelic look on his face.

Remember, he grew up on Nutella, like most western European kids. He first experienced American peanut putter while on an assignment in the US.

I was happy to further international relations in this manner. These contains were my "iron rations" for if I got caught short along the way, and needed to find something to eat.

Hope this furthers the discussion.

Ultreia,

Tom

Hi Tom,

This is Nutella. Nutella has nothing to do with Hazelnut Butter, it is basically (70%) sugar & palmoil with some additions.

1623244150558.png

Read more here about this dessert topping, 'a lolly in spreadable form' that markets itself next to peanut butter, a complex whole food with more than twenty different vitamins and minerals:

https://www.caloriecounter.com.au/nutella-ingredients-demystified/

Last edited:
Last I heard the only difference between peanut butter and roasted peanuts is that the butter was pre-chewed. What's the problem with buying peanuts -- available everywhere -- and chewing them a while before taking a bite of bread? In a couple of seconds you won't know the difference.
Yes, but for me it's all about the texture. I leave my peanut butter at home, but do buy small bags of peanuts at the tiendas for quick snacks along the way.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi Tom,

This is Nutella. Nutella has nothing to do with Hazelnut Butter, it is basically (70%) sugar & palmoil with some additions.

View attachment 102175

Read more here about this dessert topping, 'a lolly in spreadable form' that markets itself next to peanut butter, a complex whole food with more than twenty different vitamins and minerals:

Thank you for the link.

I remember seeing many years ago tv commercial were a huge quantity of aselnuts was required to make the product!

Hi Tom,

View attachment 102175

You are, of course correct. I’ve seen that graphic before. Yikes!

Tom

Out of curiosity, what is the texture of European crunchy peanut butter? Here in the UK, it tends to have a gritty texture, and is often very stiff, and the oil separates easily. Nothing like the texture of American mass produced PB like Skippy.
Whilst living in the Middle east, my husband acquired a liking for American mass produced crunchy peanut butter. He loves the smooth creamy texture with scattered nutty pieces. Until recently, it was not available in the UK apart from American food shops, when it cost a small fortune. Recently, Skippy seems to have started to be stocked. Sainsburys sells the smooth variety, and about a month ago, I was delighted to find that Morrisons stocks crunchy. My husband is so happy!!!!
Sainsbury carry the Whole Earth organic brand (Team GB supporters, you can currently win a trip and risk your life alongside our athletes at the Tokyo Olympics - if they take place). Can't vouch for the crunchy version but the smooth one is devine, comes in a recyclable glass jar that allows you to eat 99% of the contents and doesn't cling to the roof of one's mouth so much - a win-win for Arachibutyrophobics!

Son and grandson have severe, life threatening allergic reactions. ☹️ Peanut allergies are becoming much more common.

Here, at Primary schools, if it is known that a child has a severe nut allergy then, without identifying the child, parents are informed and asked not to use nuts or products containing nuts in their childrens lunch or snacks.

Last edited:
I bought it today at Alcampo Moratalaz in Madrid. There were 3 brands. I got one of them with 4% sugar. I tried it for my first time and I liked. I think that is a good thing to have just in case i'm hungry between meals.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I was gifted a peanut butter making machine. Its good, but as with a lot of these gadgets it's difficult to clean after use. Personally I use cachew nuts, they make a great spread. My absolute favourite breakfast spread is course cut orange marmalade. Given that marmalade oranges tend to arrive in the UK from Spain, I tend to think of it as a reminder of my years spent there.

€83,-

€46,-
Jeff Crawley, Great article, though I have to say it is very difficult to heed advice from a nation who usually go about with their thongs around their feet. 😁

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles

Anyone?
I carried a jar of PB every one of my 35 days on the Camino. It helped me get some quick protein especially for a pre-breakfast snack on a piece of bread. You'll only find it in some supermarcados which means it won't be in the smaller towns or villages. Once I had to go to 5 supermarcados to find it but it is there. It's called Mantequilla de cacahuete. Crunchy is crujiente.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

Hi Caminantes, My wife and I are leaving for Madrid from Brisbane - AU on May 4th to walk the Frances. We are flying with Qatar. I am a bit worried that if I check in my backpacks, they have a...
Hi all, Im walking my first Camino in April (CF) and was wondering if it would be likely for me to encounter leeches? I know for most people leeches are not a big deal but they are in plague...
In past years, when we walked from Samos to Sarria, there was simply a yellow arrow that went off to the right of the highway, up a hill, past a pig farm then a sharp left turn at a small church...
Are you also interested to know the reasons why other fellow pilgrims choose to walk El Camino? Please participate in the poll!
Several local websites have reported a small earthquake this afternoon with an epicentre in the Sarria area. Apparently felt quite strongly locally but with little likelihood of property damage...
Hello!! I am a retired Spanish gentleman living in Madrid. My name is Jose and I would like to do the Camino de Santiago again!!! But this time I would like to walk and improve my English Level...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back