• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Planning on a Camino walk (Camino Frances) in Sept 2022. I have never been to Europe.

Time of past OR future Camino
Future Camino
Hello fellow Peregrinos-- I am a newbie. I have never even been to Europe. I live in the US.(Oregon). I plan on hiking the Camino Frances in Sept 2022. I will be 75 yrs old. I am female, flyin' solo. I'm a little nervous about the physical challenges. I am in decent shape for my age. Pretty active chick! One question: I am reading books by people who have walked the Camino to get ideas, etc. I've read 10 books already. One author said, " Don't read books" about the walk. I'm beginning to think that might be good advice. What do you think, friends?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Well, books provide insight and knowledge that you don’t have, so they are a valuable resource. As is this site, fellow pilgrims, YouTube videos, movies, and personal reflection. Of course, don’t believe all of what you read/hear/see and know that your experience will be different simply because it is your own.

Enjoy the journey as your pilgrimage has already begun, just not physically.

Welcome from a fellow Oregonian!
I'm down in Southern Oregon. There are quite a few of us down here in the Southern Oregon Chapter of American Pilgrims on the Camino, and more in the Portlandia chapter that would be happy to talk to you. As you will find out, pilgrims just love talking about the Camino!

One author said, " Don't read books" about the walk. I'm beginning to think that might be good advice. What do you think, friends?
Personally - other than books about the logistics of the Camino - how to get there, what to pack, etc. , I agree. Before my first Camino I didn't want my experience to be influenced by the experiences of others. But everyone likes to prepare in their own way.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
It all depends on the Camino books you've read. If they're the most popular ones, I'm going to say as a whole they're useless in regards to learning about the Camino in a practical sense. They're pretty much only for entertainment purposes, especially the one's written by celebrities.
Get a guidebook, or two and research using those.

I haven’t read any novels about the Camino de Santiago, but I think old school guidebooks are nice!

I had one for the Camino del Norte/Primitivo walk and found it very useful! It had a little info about the towns I walked through—it enriched my experience knowing a snippet of history and economics of the area. It was fun to open it in the morning over breakfast and see what was in store for me that day. It called attention to random gems I didn’t know about ahead of time, like bufones—sea geysers! 😍

Regardless, book or no book, the Francés is a beautiful walk! You got this!

I read lots of books before I started. I enjoyed reading about other peoples experiences, good and bad, and when I was walking myself I compared the descriptions in the books to what I was seeing and experiencing myself. I have read more books since and for me they have enhanced rather than detracted from my own experience.

Buen Camino Keep Movin'. Whether you read about it or not, the Camino will still be a unique experience for you.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Books and forums are great to give you ideas about what you might encounter and how to plan. The challenge is you can get confused, scared, or just plain overwhelmed. I always tell people to prepare and plan, but be willing to let the Camino happen. For physical challenges, try to get in walking shape before you go If you can. It will help. But the most important thing is to listen to your body and not push too hard to meet a “schedule“. After a few days you will know what you can comfortably do in a day then just build your go forward plan around that. If you budget enough time so you don't have to hurry, then you can make any adjustments needed. Every person I saw having to quit in the first week or so pushed too hard early and got injured.

I was 57 when I did CF from St Jean to Santiago. I walked with many in their 70s. Don‘t let age concern you.

The books and guidebooks like Brierley are helpful because they offer ideas on how to tackle a big task by breaking it into digestible pieces. But they are not rulebooks. You don‘t have to follow them to the letter. Use the books and this forum as helps to prepare you to make good informed decisions, but let it happen your way. I hope you have an amazing time.

One author said, " Don't read books" about the walk. I'm beginning to think that might be good advice. What do you think, friends?
I totally agree. Stuffing the mind full of other people's ideas about and experiences of the camino just gets in the way of having your own. Planning is one thing, and some is necessary to get from point A to point B. But it's even valuable to keep that to a minimum.

Go with eyes wide open and beginner's mind and you can't go wrong.

Hello fellow Peregrinos-- I am a newbie. I have never even been to Europe. I live in the US.(Oregon). I plan on hiking the Camino Frances in Sept 2022. I will be 75 yrs old. I am female, flyin' solo. I'm a little nervous about the physical challenges. I am in decent shape for my age. Pretty active chick! One question: I am reading books by people who have walked the Camino to get ideas, etc. I've read 10 books already. One author said, " Don't read books" about the walk. I'm beginning to think that might be good advice. What do you think, friends?
I first walked when I was 65, much younger than you 😉.

I didn't read any books, including guide books.

I knew that I was starting in Saint Jean Pied de Port, up over the Pyrenees and passing through Pamplona (because that was how I got to SJPdP) and then West to Santiago. That is all I knew.

I allowed the way to unfold before me.

I got lost three times that I know of and on two occasions was found again within a minute thanks to helpful locals and fellow pilgrims.

The third occasion was an adventure that lasted three hours before I was found again. I loved it!

What this meant for me was complete freedom from any expectations and an adventure and challenge that I am proud of myself for completing.

However, this was my Camino and I only mention it for a comparison. You will walk your own Camino and prepare for it in any way that you wish. Your way is the correct way for you ❤️.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Whatever you do, don’t listen to people on the internet.

That said, approach everything with your comfort and pleasure in mind. Wear the shoes, clothes, pack that are most comfortable for you. Feel like your pace is too rushed? Slow down. Want to stop and have a beer at every town on a hot day? Do it. Feel like taking a day off and exploring a city? Do it. You will have plenty of discomfort and suffering regardless, so there’s no point in needlessly adding to it.

Also, if you don’t already, know enough Spanish that you can ask for basic things and interact in a polite way with Spaniards - most of them you will meet will not know English. The better you can express yourself, the more enjoyable your walk will be.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I am reading books by people who have walked the Camino to get ideas. One author said, " Don't read books" about the walk.
Reading books? I do it all the time, fiction or non-fiction. It gives me great pleasure. I absolutely enjoy it. There's nothing wrong with reading books.

You can safely read books and still keep an open mind!

I read several books from people that had done various caminos, but they were of no real value when doing the actual walk. As above, the guide books have the best information.

Perhaps even watch Efren Gonzalez on YouTube doing the CF? His vlogs are amazing and show you what's up ahead.

Each to their own, take a lot of personal advice with a pinch of salt.

Have a good walk, you will definitely enjoy the experience

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I've read only one book prior my Camino. Named "I'm off then" by the german comedian Hape Kerkeling who walked in 2001. But it's more or less a fictional novel based on his experience on the Frances.

Never read any other books dedicated to the Caminos, no Brierly, no other guide.
For planning I only used online-ressources like this forum.

Had made vacation in southern parts of Europe (Spain, Italy, France), so nothing really new for me.
Keep an open mind and open eyes.

Enjoy your walk!

I read a few books and watched quite a few you tube videos. I learned a lot of useful information and that each author or vlogger had a different experience, as did I. So prepare the way that makes you feel ready when you go and just know that like anything else it will be different than what you expected. For me the videos were the most helpful.

So wishing you a Buen Camino, but one more thing, since this will be your first trip to Europe. You will experience many cultural differences, but I've found that all people really are the same at our cores, and the Camino is great way to see that.

'm down in Southern Oregon. There are quite a few of us down here in the Southern Oregon Chapter of American Pilgrims on the Camino, and more in the Portlandia chapter that would be happy to talk to you. As you will find out, pilgrims just love talking about the Camino!
As a former Oregonian I agree with trecile (who knows her camino stuff). The best information that you can get is in three ways. Number one without a doubt is to get in touch with the Portlandia chapter and sit down for a few hours with a really experienced perigrino/a. They have a wealth of knowledge and believe me when I was a rookie all nervous and not knowing anything, got lots of valuable information about gear, packing, walking everything! Then when I was doing the teaching I would just go on and on and on. Second place to get some great info and again it may be way too much is here. When it comes to gear if there are 25 respondents you will get 100 suggestions! The third place would be getting over to REI in Portland. They have everything and really helpful people who know what they are talking about. If prices are a consideration. Check out the things you may like and then check out the REI outlet and other websites where you may be able to get last year's models at a far more reasonable price. If you can go with a Camino veteran even better. Keep it light. In September you will not need a heavy sleeping bag. Also unless you have some compelling foot reason that you need a heavy or even semi heavy boot a good pair of trail runners will do you just fine. Of course you are getting my advice haha.
People here will give you wonderful advice about fantastic albergues and donativos along the way. I have never been in an albergue that someone recommended that wasn't special and wonderful. But I will say this some of the best albergue experiences have been in places that no one in their right mind would recommend. Some were freezing or damp or had lousy beds or not super clean bathrooms or grumpy or flat out schmucky hosts of the albergues. But there were nights I met some fantastic people. You bond with people when an albergue is inviting and warm and like family. But you can also bond with people in some of the most miserable settings on earth!. That shared lousy experience can bring pilgrims together to have memorable nights of bitching and laughing and coming together to make a bad night a great memory.

" Don't read books" about the walk. I'm beginning to think that might be good advice. What do you think, friends?
Again I agree about not reading books. Your camino experience will be uniquely your own. I have had friends buy me or put on my kindle Camino books in the past and I can't get through more than a chapter or two. I doubt if it can hurt reading a book and if you find it compelling literature than be my guest. I am sure there are books out there about people who walked to overcome pain, suffering or challenge. But I think that all first experiences especially profound ones are best allowed to unfold and appear to you. You will learn quickly that your expectations or what you "thought" may happen or what you "thought" may be a challenge or a fear will almost certainly fade into a distant memory. You will experience what you are meant to experience. Not what you think you "need" to or "want" to or "think" will happen. Just walk your own Camino. It is yours and can never be found in a book.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Welcome from a fellow Oregonian!
I'm down in Southern Oregon. There are quite a few of us down here in the Southern Oregon Chapter of American Pilgrims on the Camino, and more in the Portlandia chapter that would be happy to talk to you. As you will find out, pilgrims just love talking about the Camino!

Personally - other than books about the logistics of the Camino - how to get there, what to pack, etc. , I agree. Before my first Camino I didn't want my experience to be influenced by the experiences of others. But everyone likes to prepare in their own way.
Southern Oregon. Great! I think I will touch base with you folks. I'm in Central Oregon. I appreciate your comments. Thanks-- and I'll check out your group.

As a former Oregonian I agree with trecile (who knows her camino stuff). The best information that you can get is in three ways. Number one without a doubt is to get in touch with the Portlandia chapter and sit down for a few hours with a really experienced perigrino/a. They have a wealth of knowledge and believe me when I was a rookie all nervous and not knowing anything, got lots of valuable information about gear, packing, walking everything! Then when I was doing the teaching I would just go on and on and on. Second place to get some great info and again it may be way too much is here. When it comes to gear if there are 25 respondents you will get 100 suggestions! The third place would be getting over to REI in Portland. They have everything and really helpful people who know what they are talking about. If prices are a consideration. Check out the things you may like and then check out the REI outlet and other websites where you may be able to get last year's models at a far more reasonable price. If you can go with a Camino veteran even better. Keep it light. In September you will not need a heavy sleeping bag. Also unless you have some compelling foot reason that you need a heavy or even semi heavy boot a good pair of trail runners will do you just fine. Of course you are getting my advice haha.
People here will give you wonderful advice about fantastic albergues and donativos along the way. I have never been in an albergue that someone recommended that wasn't special and wonderful. But I will say this some of the best albergue experiences have been in places that no one in their right mind would recommend. Some were freezing or damp or had lousy beds or not super clean bathrooms or grumpy or flat out schmucky hosts of the albergues. But there were nights I met some fantastic people. You bond with people when an albergue is inviting and warm and like family. But you can also bond with people in some of the most miserable settings on earth!. That shared lousy experience can bring pilgrims together to have memorable nights of bitching and laughing and coming together to make a bad night a great memory.

Again I agree about not reading books. Your camino experience will be uniquely your own. I have had friends buy me or put on my kindle Camino books in the past and I can't get through more than a chapter or two. I doubt if it can hurt reading a book and if you find it compelling literature than be my guest. I am sure there are books out there about people who walked to overcome pain, suffering or challenge. But I think that all first experiences especially profound ones are best allowed to unfold and appear to you. You will learn quickly that your expectations or what you "thought" may happen or what you "thought" may be a challenge or a fear will almost certainly fade into a distant memory. You will experience what you are meant to experience. Not what you think you "need" to or "want" to or "think" will happen. Just walk your own Camino. It is yours and can never be found in a book.
Well said, my friend. I can tell, I've already started my Camino, in a way. I've already bought a number of key items I need. And I've still got 6 mo's before I take off.

There are some books that are essential reading:

Tim Moore's "Travels with my Donkey". This will convince you not to take a Donkey...
Shirley MacLaine's "The Camino: A Pilgrimage Of Courage". This will convince you to avoid Foncebadón...
Paul Coelho’s "The Pilgrimage". This will convince you to avoid magical thinking...

And one movie really worth watching: "The Way" which will convince you not to take a film crew with you because they'll make you walk the Camino in a random order with some bits done backwards...

Happy Planning ;)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
And one movie really worth watching: "The Way" which will convince you not to take a film crew with you because they'll make you walk the Camino in a random order with some bits done backwards...
And while wearing jeans, which will never get dry on an albergue clothesline!

Last edited:
Each to his own but I read everything I can find on my next Camino and enjoy what others have written about my earlier Caminos. That way I can re-live the Camino. And I don't want to miss anything as I walk by. But Europe is different from the US. Two books I heartily recommend to you. 1) Europe Through the Back Door by Rick Steves. Get a recent copy. Steves leads small tour groups all through Europe. But his philosophies about traveling light and mixing with local people resonate with the Camino experience. Once you are on the Camino it is pretty easy to follow the yellow arrows (except through some cities). But getting to your start on the Camino -- planes, trains, buses, metros, can be confusing, especially when jet lagged. Steves guides you through that, even down to buying a train ticket from a machine. You will want to be culturally sensitive. This book will help with that. 2) You will walk every day so do yourself a huge favor and read Fixing your Feet . .. by Jon Vonhof, now $25 at REI. Keep your feet happy and Buen Camino

Each to his own but I read everything I can find on my next Camino and enjoy what others have written about my earlier Caminos. That way I can re-live the Camino. And I don't want to miss anything as I walk by. But Europe is different from the US. Two books I heartily recommend to you. 1) Europe Through the Back Door by Rick Steves. Get a recent copy. Steves leads small tour groups all through Europe. But his philosophies about traveling light and mixing with local people resonate with the Camino experience. Once you are on the Camino it is pretty easy to follow the yellow arrows (except through some cities). But getting to your start on the Camino -- planes, trains, buses, metros, can be confusing, especially when jet lagged. Steves guides you through that, even down to buying a train ticket from a machine. You will want to be culturally sensitive. This book will help with that. 2) You will walk every day so do yourself a huge favor and read Fixing your Feet . .. by Jon Vonhof, now $25 at REI. Keep your feet happy and Buen Camino
Thanks for this. Good information. I wasn't thinking Steve's would be that important, but after what you have said, I will get his book. Also, the foot book. For sure, I want my precious, important tool to hold up! Thanks again.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
All I can say is, you’re just awesome! Don’t know you, and I’m still waiting to do my first Camino after two years of cancellations as well, I think I would agree with most posters, don’t rush, don’t believe everything you read, do it YOUR way!!
I love this forum and everyone’s info and help, but what I glean from all conversations is don’t overthink it, a bookshelf of books won’t really help when you’re out there, you clearly need to do it with your own instincts and smarts. Buen Camino🙏

Hello! I'm not officially an Oregonian but I'm nearby in SW Washington's part of the Portland metro area.

Definitely sign up for the American Pilgrims Portlandia chapter and if you ever make it to Portland try to coordinate with one of their walks — best way to meet experienced people! They are generous with both time and advice. All of that is much better than reading books!

For me personally I've chosen not to read any books or watch any movies. I want the Camino experience to be my own.

Finally, while I haven't done the Camino yet myself, I have traveled on pilgrimages to Assisi and Rome several times with the Franciscan Spiritual Center (my profile pic is the Basilica of St. Francis in Assisi). On those trips, I've been blessed to be accompanied by people your age or older on their very first trips to Europe. There was one woman in particular who never stopped smiling.

The one piece of advice I learned from them: don't underestimate the effects of sleep disruption and jetlag on your first few days. If you have extra time and money, give yourself a few days in a quiet place to adjust to the time change. For the same reason, make sure you have plenty of time to make connections after you arrive at your first stop in Europe, so that you can take your time to take in your first moments on another continent.

Last edited:
I am reading books by people who have walked the Camino to get ideas, etc. I've read 10 books already. One author said, " Don't read books" about the walk. I'm beginning to think that might be good advice. What do you think, friends?
I read a couple books. They were both enjoyable reads, but one of them was really valuable because the author went on for at least half the book about all the foot problems and blisters he was having. Really put the fear of God in me about making sure that I’m really careful about footwear and socks, etc.

I think more information is always better. But it’s like reading about driving a car or something of that sort. It’s probably completely different when you actually do it!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hello, Newbie here too and I am 78,planning on Sept 2022.Was ready to go in 2020.It has been my life long dream,I'm so looking forward to it.I'm sure we will connect along the way.Aloha,Kathryn

It all depends on the Camino books you've read. If they're the most popular ones, I'm going to say as a whole they're useless in regards to learning about the Camino in a practical sense. They're pretty much only for entertainment purposes, especially the one's written by celebrities.
Get a guidebook, or two and research using those.
None of the books I have read are written by celebs. I know to stay away from that fanfare.
I've actually learned a lot so far. Thanks.

Most read last week in this forum

Hace dos días falleció a los 78 años Pepe Puertas "el peregrino de La Rioja" Todos los años en Julio hacía el camino francés completo para llegar a Compostela el 25 de Julio. Año tras año durante...
Hello my name is Brenda and I am establishing a daily AA meeting 6-7 pm at Casa Anglican WhatsApp 416-8018176 for daily updates Thankyou. Buen Camino
Hello. I’m Steph from USA Arriving in pamplona May 27 2024 Is anyone arriving that destination & date so we can coordinate transportation to SJPP. TIA
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...
Hello fellow peregrines, I’m Davide , a 30,yrs old Italian guy from Barcelona ! I was always fascinated by the Camino de Santiago and my eyes got lucent when a day to the pueblo español I saw...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back