• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Poll: Best time to walk

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Re: Best time to walk

My son and I just finished the Camino and it was hot, hot, hot! It was crowded, crowded, crowded! It was a race from place to place. It wasn't pleasant. I felt so sorry for the less agile and slower who found refuges full or more accurately closed because the season was too long to maintain them. Obviously demand is outstripping supply. Would not recommend September. Would not recommend any month in the present context. MICHAEL ROGERS

In both 2006 and 2007 I walked in May, with totally different weather each time. But in general the weather is mild to warm and quite pleasant (apart from the rain this year!!) It was fairly crowded but, judging from other pilgrims accounts, much better than later in the year. I never had problems getting a bed as I made a point of stopping in the smaller towns and villages, while everyone else was powering on to a main town. So perhaps that made a difference.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I have not yet walked the Camino but I voted for April because I plan to start in France some where a few days walk prior to SJPDP, on April first . I plan to take about six weeks to do my Camino. I know from some research that I've done that there can still be snow storms in the Pyrenees at that time of year but what I'm not sure of is should I expect to encounter snow on the ground at altitude at that time of year? :shock:

Possibly the yours is a very good choice because you will arrive in Santiago in may, when the Camino is not already crowded, there's not races for bed and is not too hot. And a lot of sunlight hours.

¡¡Buen Camino!!

Javier Martin
Madrid, Spain.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I walked this year in May & September. I really enjoyed walking in September. Yes, there were crowds, but the weather was nice & the camino was dry. I know the weather can change from year to year, but slogging through the mud up to your ankles can really color your impressions of the Camino. It's much more enjoyable to walk when it's dry.

Kelly

As someone who has always (now four times) walked the Camino Frances in May, I appreciate hearing from those who have walked in other months. Next year I plan to walk in September, even though I have read accounts from many who say it's way too crowded. If I could choose, I would walk in May 2000, or 2005, those were spectacular months. Other Mays have been less cooperative. And I know that there are some people who walked in the same year and the same month as I did but seemed to get under the dark cloud and get lots of rain. This past May I walked the Norte and many people who walked only a few days ahead or behind us had terrible weather. We had beautiful weather almost the entire way. Which just goes to show that you can't ever count on the weather. Buen camino a todos.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
It's true, in the north of Spain the weather can change quite quickly, just in a few hours, or a few kilometres, specially near the coast.

The exception may be on summer, when the camino is more sunny. And more crowded.

I use to see the local newspapers on bars, when taking a coffee, to see the daily weather. As there's a drawing of the area with suns, clouds, etc, it's easy to understand it, even if you don't speak spanish.

Buen Camino.

Javier Martin
Madrid, Spain.

The Camino Primitivo (from Oviedo to Lugo) is wonderful. But, do not walk alone in Winter because you will be on your own. Often the path is very far from housing so if you stumble ... No antennas so the phone does not work. Some refuges EXCELLENT (Penaseite, Cadavo Baleira, Polas de Allande, Lugo) some very bad indeed (Borres, San Juan de Villapanada). Near the last refuge the hospitalero has an interesting collection of bottles ij his garden. Do not touch anything because he rings the police. It least that is how you will be welcomed. :D

In my opinion, it's MAY, or just after Semana Santa. Never mind the occasional rain. The fields are all green, including along the meseta, and the flowers blooming. Only downside is there are no grapes to pick yet ;-)

Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.
Hallo

We walked from Ocebreiro in Oct 2006 and it was great, except for one of the heaviest downpours we ever encountered at Ocebreiro.

And agin in March 2007 from leon to santiago , one of the best walking weathers, less people on the camino, but a bit cold at leon.

Regards
Bharat

I walked during July-Aug of 07, so I voted for July. I don't mind the heat - indeed, I prefer it to cold, rain, or darkness (snow might be interesting, though). Plus, I liked the long sunny days for a number of reasons: plenty of time for the laundry to dry, ability to dress light, agreeable weather for city exploration, no problems lounging around outside of cafes, less likely to slip & fall on the hills, better visibility on the roads (more so for cars to avoid me), got to work on my tan, etc.

But I did experience some scuzzy weather during those months - it rained the day I walked into Logrono, and one of my hardest walking days was when I climbed up to/headed down from O'Cebreiro - windy, foggy, and rainy. The hard weather did give the area some atmosphere, though - it made me feel like I was in an old Hammer vampire movie. I kept expecting to see Peter Cushing chasing Christopher Lee around with a stake in his hand... :wink: And it was kind of a good personal challenge walking in it as well. It sure made the cafe con cognac and hot food taste better during my break periods. :arrow:

That's a great attitude to have, all the best with your Camino. You might want to do some research as to which Albergues are open at that time of year, a lot of them close at the end of October for the season. :mrgreen:

I started on 9 September and took 5 and a half weeks from SJPDP to Santiago. It was gorgeous, the weather was still warm, the meseta was all beige with spiky dried plants by the side of the paths, the grape harvest was on, it was busy enough to be sociable and keep you on your toes, but not so busy you needed to race or sleep on the floor. I appreciate that many people would enjoy the sheer numbers taking part in the summer, it must be quite a different experience. I would really like to go again in April or May in the future.

I just finished walking the Camino in April and May .Started April 4th at Sauveterre de Bearn on the Vezelay route and finished in Santiago on May 22nd. It was a wonderful time to walk never crowded but lots of interesting people to meet. Just by luck I started at the right time I have a friend who started three weeks later from Rancesvalles and the Camino was a mob scene with people having to sleep outside because there was no room, in the Inn so to speak.

Your walk in the Autumn sounds wonderful. I'm thinking of walking again in September and October of 2010 which I think is a Holy Year. Anyone care to make a guess about crowds in the fall of a Holy Year. :roll:

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Thanks, I don't have a Brierley's, I used the English Confraternity Guide and was very disappointed with it. An Australian friend that I met on the Camino used Brierley's and I fell in love with it. I think I will do a search in ABE Books for a used copy. I won't buy a new copy until the 2010 issue is available.

May is definitely warm (enough) to walk the CF, but numbers are increasing at this point.
This time around, I am trying the VdlP in April just after Easter and see how this fits my mood for a more perfect match ratio between availabity of room to enough people to meet.
September and October sounds lovely if I ever bring my wife...
I will definitely at some point try a winter Camino ! - but solo ...

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
My vote:
For the CF November / December & March/May
For Primitivo & Norte March/November

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi We are planning to walk the Camino Portugues central in mid Oct. What type of weather can we expect and how busy is it that time of the year.?

Hi We are planning to walk the Camino Portugues central in mid Oct. What type of weather can we expect and how busy is it that time of the year.?
Cool days with cold nights but hopefully sunny (fingers crossed) and not busy. Oops have just realised you are doing the Portuguese and I have never walked that route. However, did travel through Portugal in mid to late October by bus and that is the sort of weather we had.
Bom caminho

Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.
Hi everybody... We are planning to walk the Camino del Norte from Irun starting in 14. March. I heard that it is only availble from the end of March. Is it true, or why is it closed before...
What type of weather can we expect and hopefully it is not very busy and albergs a open at that time.
Who know... Thanks for reply...

There has been a lot of talk about "what is the best time to walk", so I thought I would set up a poll on this.

Taking into account crowds and weather, what would be the best month to walk?
I was told by the albergues, that the Spanish favour July/August. I have never done a Camino then, it would be too hot for me.

I just finished walking the Camino in April and May .Started April 4th at Sauveterre de Bearn on the Vezelay route and finished in Santiago on May 22nd. It was a wonderful time to walk never crowded but lots of interesting people to meet. Just by luck I started at the right time I have a friend who started three weeks later from Rancesvalles and the Camino was a mob scene with people having to sleep outside because there was no room, in the Inn so to speak.

Your walk in the Autumn sounds wonderful. I'm thinking of walking again in September and October of 2010 which I think is a Holy Year. Anyone care to make a guess about crowds in the fall of a Holy Year. :roll:
We walked in a holy year, it was super busy. At Roncesvalles people were spilling out everywhere and being taxied to other places.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Thanks, I don't have a Brierley's, I used the English Confraternity Guide and was very disappointed with it. An Australian friend that I met on the Camino used Brierley's and I fell in love with it. I think I will do a search in ABE Books for a used copy. I won't buy a new copy until the 2010 issue is available.
We bought a Brierleys the second time, and found that it is popular, so if you follow its recommendations you will tend to stay in crowded places. If you pick villages or towns either side of his recommendations, you tend to get easier accommodation, and support some of the smaller places.
The first guide book, which was forgotten, hence the purchase of the Brierley book on the second trip, gave more varied Camino legs, but was translated from the Spanish, and slightly unusual English.

There has been a lot of talk about "what is the best time to walk", so I thought I would set up a poll on this.

for when the weather gets hot, I love the heat and sunshine...makes drying of clothes fast..

The joys of the broad question...'which route' does make a difference! Walking from early Spring to early Summer as you walk south to north...or late Summer (really late because it can be WARM in late August) into Autumn...it depends on what the pilgrim likes. I am OK with gleaning from the post-harvest fields and trees (I walked Madrid/Salvador/Primitivo from late August, arriving in SCQ early in October) but, storks, flowers and frogs are my 'thing'...Spring it is...

I voted for May because I was reading some posts in the Via de la Plata
section. For VdlP May is the best month, except for the arroyos that can be a bit of trouble.
My first walk on GR 65 started mid August and ended up in SdC end of October. My best camino ever with dry paths, no mud and not much rain until the last week in Galicia. Blackberries along the road, but some streches a bit boring with dead corn acres and dead sunflowers.
October on the Frances was abit muddy as well.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

I walked the CF route from Pamplona, starting in January 2018 and finishing late February. I encountered sunshine, heavy snow and torrential rain ( towards the end). I was well equipped, and not too cold as I am from western Canada, but the heavy snow did make for an interesting several days. There were days when I saw several people, and others where I saw none as I did put in some longer days to find a bed. If you are looking for tranquility on the Camino, then I suggest the winter.

With all the reports of crowds, why is September so popular?

Re: Best time to walk

My son and I just finished the Camino and it was hot, hot, hot! It was crowded, crowded, crowded! It was a race from place to place. It wasn't pleasant. I felt so sorry for the less agile and slower who found refuges full or more accurately closed because the season was too long to maintain them. Obviously demand is outstripping supply. Would not recommend September. Would not recommend any month in the present context. MICHAEL ROGERS
Yes, it was crowded especially after switching over from Camino de la Plata to Frances. I walked as far as Zamora then took a bus to Astorga. walked from there very crowded but took my time and always found a place and also took advantage of pensions. I arrived in Santiago without a place reserved. Although Seminario Minor was booked they found me a place closer to the old city. La Salla pensions/hotel/Albergue is a great friendly place highly recommended it; it's like being at home. I had a small room with bathroom place was fabulous.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
My first priority in choosing the time is to avoid heat!

We started the CF in the middle of Sept. from St. Jean....too hot and too crowded!

Started from Leon to SdC 2017 last week of March. Good weather! Really lovely.
Avoid Sarria to SdC during Semana Santa.

Started from Pamplona end of Feb. 2018 and arrived SdC middle of April...
AVOID Sarria to SdC during Semana Santa
Weather- rained almost every day! Very high winds, snow, hail and a real challenge across mountains.

Prefer the cooler months...can always put clothes on! This year we are starting in Oct in SJPdP Nd ending in SdC. Hopefully the crowds will thin. There always seem to be more bedbugs at the end of the season so take this into account.

Camino del Norte from the first week of april. Not crowdy in a beautiful spring experience. Arriving in S.D.C. half mai

September

December has been my favorite so far! Would do it again in a heartbeat!

Highest nationality walking at that time was Koreans. They outnumbered us all (not that there are many of us around then). Would love to know why it is popular for Koreans at that time. (Not complaining though, the Koreans are wonderful) :)

Re December; how was the precipitation index, ie did it rain or snow much when you did it... and did you pass Xmas there ?

I can see the benefits of a quiter time...

Depends on which Camino you mean.There is a great tendency to refer to the Camino Frances as THE Camino.I therefore find this poll to be of very limited value.
Heartily agree..I did the Frances from Le Puy in 2007 and I hated it...The CF is NOT THE Camino it is one of many and to me is overrated and over crowded. My first camino was the VDLP in 2006 because the Confraternity of St James said the CF was too crowded

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
December has been my favorite so far! Would do it again in a heartbeat! Highest nationality walking at that time was Koreans. They outnumbered us all (not that there are many of us around then). Would love to know why it is popular for Koreans at that time. (Not complaining though, the Koreans are wonderful) :)
@Davey Boyd, you didn't ask them 😉 ? Most of them are young and still in education or have just finished it. There are two vacation times in South Korea, in summer from July to August and in winter from December to February.

@Davey Boyd, you didn't ask them 😉 ? Most of them are young and still in education or have just finished it. There are two vacation times in South Korea, in summer from July to August and in winter from December to February.

Didn't get much chance to ask as I was walking the other way and camping a lot! (Finisterre to SJpDP). But thank you for the info!

Davey

When to go depends upon what experience you are looking for and any time constraints.
I have walked the Camino in March, July and September.
- In March there are few people and you have time to walk alone (that can be a big bonus.)
It is also a time when it is cold and rains/snows/sleets/hales most days. You will have to carry a larger backpack inorder to carry the warmer clothes/sleeping bag you will need.
- July is hot and dry. There are fewer people on the way. That can be an advantage.
_ September the weather is beautiful and there are a lot of people. If being in a community on the way is what you are looking for that is a great time to go. It can be a challange to find a plce to stay at the end of the day.

My advice is to go when ever you have the opportunity. When ever you go, be open to the experience and it may end up being different than you expected. Know that the is no right way to walk the Camino, also there is no worng way to walk the Camino. Martin's Sheen's movie is only one way to experience the Camino. Looking for his experience can set up many people for dissappointment. Do it your way.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

One of the great things about late May early June is the almost overwhelming fragrance of blossoms on bushes and trees. Unforgettable jasmine.

Should also be options : Spring, Summer, Autumn, Winter -- and All of the Above.

We walked from Astorga to SDC in late April to early May. It started out pretty hot and arid then torrential rains started on the 5th day. Lots of mud, it was cold but because of the frequent change in weather I developed an appreciation of the elements. When it was raining I loved it when the sun peaked out. When it was hot, the occasional blotting of the sun by clouds was welcomed. As you might guess you can extrapelate that philosophy into your every day life. ATTACHED is the up hill climb to O'cebrerieo. We would have loved some clouds that day!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
At the moment the best time to walk is a two way thing, Both should coincide. 1. When permitted by both home and host countries 2. When it is safe enough for us not to worry about spreading this dreadful pandemic to others.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
In the happy, easier past years late autumn and winter were the best times to walk the CF for me.

Accommodation started to close mid October but some place was always open. Hospitaleros usually could give advice on who/what was available on the next stage. There were no summer crowds and beds/bunks were available. I usually slept in an albergue, often the sole pilgrim, but also in back rooms of an open bar/restaurant.

Walking off-season during those past years I rarely saw more than 20 pilgrims at one time. There usually was a strong sense of camaraderie amongst those on the route especially during storms or difficult stretches.

Helpful passing strangers also gave advice. Little was hectic; without the hordes of summer all had time to share info.

In the happy, easier past years late autumn and winter were the best times to walk the CF for me.

Accommodation started to close mid October but some place was always open. Hospitaleros usually could give advice on who/what was available on the next stage. There were no summer crowds and beds/bunks were available. I usually slept in an albergue, often the sole pilgrim, but also in back rooms of an open bar/restaurant.

Walking off-season during those past years I rarely saw more than 20 pilgrims at one time. There usually was a strong sense of camaraderie amongst those on the route especially during storms or difficult stretches.

Helpful passing strangers also gave advice. Little was hectic; without the hordes of summer all had time to share info.
mspath, have you ever walked in the Spring?

mspath, have you ever walked in the Spring?
No Jill I have not. In the years I walked my husband and I ran a b&b/pilgrim house in our farmhouse along the Marne. Spring, summer and early autumn for the vendage were THE season.
Thus I walked happily in late autumn/ winter.

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
How was the Primitivo in March for you?

It was pretty good ... You just have to find out how the Hospital section is before deciding whether to take it or go through Pola de Allande.

No Jill I have not. In the years I walked my husband and I ran a b&b/pilgrim house in our farmhouse along the Marne. Spring, summer and early autumn for the vendage were THE season.
Thus I walked happily in late autumn/ winter.
Jill,

In March 2007 I finished my camino in Spring. The early blossoms were enchanting, such as these enroute to Ponferrada .

towards Ponferrada 13.03.2007.JPG

I have walked the CF in both May and Sept. Spring is so much better, there is no comparison to me. Storks. Flowers. Green fields. Even less people. STORKS ON THEIR NESTS. Ok, don't tell anybody else.
And cherries..

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Most read last week in this forum

https://www.lodgify.com/blog/es/observatorio-lodgify-febrero-2024/?utm_campaign=ES%20-%20Content%20Newsletter&utm_medium=email&_hsmi=298376570&_hsenc=p2ANqtz--KQkkCIbmVh11e1l-9P2514JyKrTN8_nNki9ioi...
Have you had Communion while attending the Cruz de Ferro?
Hi there Can anyone tell me where on the Camino Frances there is a mural on a wall depicting “the three wise men”. I’ve admired it on several occasions, over the years, but I can’t remember where...
I wonder how many,if any get caught up in the idea...or ideal of the Camino To be sure it captured my imagination and reinforced by videos and pictures. I am quick to seek and find the good in...
What does the abbreviation "Rda" mean in Spanish? In context: "Calle la Rda, Villalcázar de Sirga". I have googled (of course), but I've obviously not been asking the right questions, as I've...
Hoping someone will have some new ideas for me! I always bring a box to Spain to mail to my friends in Madrid. It has for years had the following items — boxes of Vanilla Chai tea bags, Dentyne...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back