• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Poncho Tent

jsalt

Jill
Time of past OR future Camino
Portugués, Francés, LePuy, Rota Vicentina, Norte, Madrid, C2C, Salvador, Primitivo, Aragonés, Inglés
Hi, leaving for Bordeaux on 20 Sep. Planning on walking from Le Verdon-sur-Mer, on the French coast, to Irun, and connect with the Norte. Hoping to find a few campsites still open in France.

So, here is my poncho tent. Has anyone else made something similar, and did it work? I’ve sewn 4 additional loops onto the poncho, 2 either side, so I can peg down the sides. I’ll toss the cheap foam sleeping mat as soon as I get into the magical land of albergues (after about 2 or 3 weeks).

PonchoTent8b.jpg

PonchoTent9b.jpg

For the flight, I will check in the hiking poles, tent pegs, sleeping mat (bulky), and swiss knife. Might as well throw in the liquids as well, like shampoo. My carry-on 32 litre backpack should then pass all the security tests.

I do have Plan B (being a practical sort of person), so if the check-in bag goes AWOL, I have a few hours in Bordeaux to locate a Decathlon store, and replace the hiking poles, pegs, foam mat and bottle opener, I mean knife.

Plan C is staying in budget hotels if the weather is really bad, but I don’t think there are many of those in French seaside resorts (please advise if you know of any along the Voie Littorale).

My flight back from Santiago leaves on 21 Nov. Fingers crossed, Jamesy-baby, here I come again, hoping for some more meaningful lessons on being a better pilgrim.

Jill

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Jamesy-baby? That almost cost you the'like' I've given you for your most educative post. Buen Camino, peregrina!!

Recently, I used a GoLite poncho/tarp on the John Muir Trail in the California Sierra Nevada. Super lightweight, easy to set up, and held up well in some light winds. It was quite chilly (-7c) a night or two but all worked out great.
I'll be posting about that trip on my blog, starting this week. A few lessons learned there.
Also, am starting the VDLP in mid-October, flying out of Santiago on November 20. Maybe our paths will cross, in the end.

Buen Camino!!!

IMG_4450.jpg

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
It should work well. Insects ought not be a problem at the time of year you are walking. Also, creepy crawly things are most uncommon in southern Europe. What creatures are out there are likely more afraid of you than you might be of them.

I like the clean design. Did you adapt an existing poncho (specs please)? Or, was this "made from scratch?"

Your transportation plan also sounds about right. Roll all the sharps, liquids and poles, etc, into a cylindrical bundle and place in a stuff sack, and it is easily checkable with any airline. Choose a God-awful bright stuff sack color so it cannot be accidentally mislaid in transit.

All said, there should be adequate "solid" lodging possibilities so you will not have to revert to using this rig, except for the primary, rain use. It is good that this has at least two definite uses. All your gear should be so tested and chosen.

I wish you a peaceful and enjoyable Camino.

Hi, would be great to meet you in Santiago @BrienC, Buen Camino also!

@t2andreo It’s an ordinary rectangular existing poncho that I’ve had for years. (South African make: First Ascent.) All I had to do was sew on 4 extra loops, 2 on each side. There are already loops at each corner and at the ends (where the tips of the hiking poles are placed).

I like the idea of the brightly coloured bag for the check-in items :).

I may have to use it as a tent most nights in France. My research shows that campsites are about E10 compared to a room for a single traveller between E40 and E50.

Jill
(Meaningful Lesson No. 1 to self: Be more respectful; not everyone appreciates your terms of endearment :oops:.)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I really don't see the difference to the Poncho tents posted. Also it is rather heavy ... I personally prefer a tent (not tarp) that has walls all around. But that might be just me ... Buen Camino, SY

Have I missed something? I was of the understanding that 'camping out' is restricted on the Camino. I met a lovely couple today who leave for their walk in three weeks and were asking about camping along the way. I said that it was ill advised. Was I mistaken?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Have I missed something? I was of the understanding that 'camping out' is restricted on the Camino.
Yes, you did miss something (see the first post). ;) She is planning to camp some of the time in campgrounds in France, but then stay in albergues in Spain.
Hoping to find a few campsites still open in France.

Have I missed something? I was of the understanding that 'camping out' is restricted on the Camino. I met a lovely couple today who leave for their walk in three weeks and were asking about camping along the way. I said that it was ill advised. Was I mistaken?

I understood that the OP is planning to use the 'poncho tent' in France and hopefully in campsites..., not on the Camino francés.
I did the same as accommodation was scarce but I must admit to preferring a tent with 'walls' too! :oops:

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hi Jill, what you're planning really sounds nice! :)
Your poncho looks a lot bigger than mine... Must be my eyes because our mats should to be pretty much the same.

No problem to sleep without walls as I'm concerned, or even without roof! I like it better this way, so it works for me. I usually sleep in the wild and don't look for a camping ground. Most of the time I even don't use my tarp... I pick a quiet place and sleep like a rock. 2000 stars accommodation for free! If it rains, I look for a solid "cover" (shelter, porch, bus-stop) or pay an accommodation (if not too expensive, easier to find on hiking routes)
I got this poncho-tarp from a friend, really basic and reinforced with duct tape on the loops. I use it with the strings and pegs from my D4 tarp. It worked fine, but I didn't dare to try it under any kind of rain... I know very well what would have happened! :confused: Used alone as a tent, I think it's good enough for dew, but not very efficient against rain (and then, not comfortable).
full

If you really want to sleep outside under any kind of weather, why not a real tarp? It's a better coverage than a poncho and a lot lighter than a tent. And you can fold it and use it as a poncho: tested and approved!
What about a good bivvy-bag, a lighter raining gear and no tent/tarp/poncho-tarp gears for good days + accommodation for rainy days?
That being said, I hope the rest of your sleeping gear is good, because the weather will not be the warmest of the year! ;)

Camping out is regulated in both France and Spain, with some distinction between wild camping and bivouac.
In Spain, regulation depends of the provinces. Generally, wild camping is forbidden and bivouac is quite unclear. It seems to be accepted, but up to policemen at the end. The Camino leads either tolerance (pilgrimage route) or severity (many disrespectful behaviors, especially on the Francés).
In France, both are legal: no trouble here... mostly! The law restricts camping and bivouac on private property (need to ask for authorization), protected and listed sites (no natural parks on your stretch, only monuments), ~200 yards around a drinkable source of water and on the seaside. Note that there can be some local additional restrictions (up to people to get the information...). I'd say as long as you find a quiet place, keep low-profile and leave no trace, you should be fine!

Accommodation is more expensive in France than in Spain, but I think it's possible to find a bed under 40€. It is a pilgrimage-sensitive route... Camping sites can be open all year long, or close after high-season (sometimes in September/October). You'll definitively find some open on your Way.
I don't know how is your French and if you already got those, but with a little pre-translation, it can always be handy: ;)
- Pilgrim info From Verdon to Sanguinet
- Pilgrim info From Sanguinet to Tarnos
- Not about the Camino, but can cross it and have useful info? and it's also in English!
(no date for the 2 first... updated?)

Nice (and wise) you have plans B and C! I'd locate the D4 and itinerary before, to avoid more stress in case of trouble. Depending on you travel-style, what about keeping the mat and have a dry/nice seat to sit/nap on along the Way?

Sorry it ends up to be a bit long... :oops:
I wish you the best on your Camino! :)

full

Hi Marion, very many thanks for your post and the links, much appreciated. I understand some French, having done 5 years at school (a long time ago). I’m not into wild camping, at least not in Europe. Have recently spent 5 nights sleeping under the stars hiking the Fish River Canyon in Namibia. I fell asleep staring into the Milky Way’s black hole, wondering what was on the other side. Then the moon was so bright in the early hours I had to wear shades! Regarding the poncho, just trying to use what I have already, so I can stay in campsites and save on hotel costs. Will look out for pilgrim accommodation when available. Thanks again for your reply.
Jill

Most read last week in this forum

I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Hi! I am 15 days out from my Camino, and suddenly my Buen Camino app is crashing every time I try to look at my stages! I have rebooted my phone, done the "restore app" within the app, rebooted...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.