• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Portuguese Camino backpack

Marye02

Time of past OR future Camino
May 2023
Hey guys. Wondering y'all's backpack recommendations for the Portuguese Camino in May. Not sure if this matters but I'm a 5'8 female. I was thinking about maybe the Osprey Eja 38 or the Gregory Jade 38 but would love your thoughts.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
38 litres is average size on the camino, maybe slightly generous so probably the right size. As for specific model, my recommendation is to take no recommendations. Go to a good store where the staff know their stuff and try on as many backpacks as you can until one feels right: you're the one who's going to have to wear it every day, after all. The only suggestion I can make is that lots of side pouches are handy, but that's a personal preference.

I used the Gregory Jade 38 on the Camino Portuguese and it was fine. It's a bit bigger than I need, but I bought it because I was sick of having to pack precisely to fit everything into a 30 litre pack. I do like the opening system of the Gregory, and another advantage is that I can get it smaller enough (using the straps) for it to be carry-on legal.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
@dick bird is right, the perfect backpack for me might not work for you. You need to try a variety of backpacks to see what feels right. That said, I can recommend another Gregory model, the Juno 36, which I used last year on my Camino Portuguese.

Used an Osprey Stratos 36ltr, Camino Portuguese central, loved the airflow suspension system, very comfortable, loads of space, could have even went smaller!
The female version is called “Sirius”
Same features!

I think they have updated the whole Osprey range now!

Definitely do your research, try as many packs as possible!

Hey guys. Wondering y'all's backpack recommendations for the Portuguese Camino in May. Not sure if this matters but I'm a 5'8 female. I was thinking about maybe the Osprey Eja 38 or the Gregory Jade 38 but would love your thoughts.
I recommend getting your gear together first, then finding a pack the right size and that fits you comfortably. What size to start with? Given your height, and assuming you are not overweight, a pack around 38 li would be a good starting point. Here is some advice I provided earlier on this. This uses weight rather than height as the key determinant, but you will get to the same point either way.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Great advice above.

I have the previous iteration of the Osprey Eja 38. (No hip pockets)
The features I particularly like are; the ability to remove the 'brain' (lid section) as I don't need the space and prefer the lower top of the pack on Camino when I wear a wide brimmed Tilly hat. (I hate the sensation if it bumps!) The side pockets are very spacious and it's easy for me to reach my water bottle or poncho if it's a wet day. Or shove something in them as I walk, eg buff. They are very spacious but can be synched in if wanted. I have plenty of room inside which makes packing quick and easy (I use different coloured stuff sacks inside). There are good straps for synching the pack so it's not a problem having some extra room. It's lightweight and has a very breathable back.
The features I don't like:
Not quite adjustable enough. I'm 5' 4" and in just a T shirt I'd like to be able to tighten the shoulder straps a bit more. The shoulder straps come down to points that are slightly wider than my hips and if I'm not using my poles (very rarely) this irritates me. Could be different on the latest design.

I did think I'd get a smaller pack as I didn't need 38L. I bought a 30L Osprey Tempest and my kit did all fit inside. However once filled I didn't like where the weight sat on me and it was not nearly as comfortable as my Eja so I returned it and felt much happier that I'd got the right pack for me already! Despite what people say about having the space means you'll carry more...I don't!!

I haven't tried a Gregory pack but I've a friend who likes hers. If you can get them both and fill them with your kit at home and compare how they feel and function. Return the one you don't like. I walked around the house and up and down the stairs. I also tried different ways of packing as that can make a huge difference to the comfort of your pack as you walk.

Good luck and Bom Caminho

I recommend getting your gear together first, then finding a pack the right size and that fits you comfortably. What size to start with? Given your height, and assuming you are not overweight, a pack around 38 li would be a good starting point. Here is some advice I provided earlier on this. This uses weight rather than height as the key determinant, but you will get to the same point either way.
I think 38 ltr is overkill for the Portuguese in May! Sticking to the rule of 3x, i.e tops, underwear, shorts/trousers/skirt etc!
a 38 ltr is going to be half empty!
Without knowing their packing list, you don’t want to buy something too big, purely just to fit everything you think you may need!
I took over the 3x formula, including extra footwear and had still a full top half empty!
I could half easily dropped down to a 30 ltr!

No one can recommend a size backpack without knowing what you will take with you, sleeping bag etc.Have you decided what you are taking and tried to fit it in a backpack ?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
My suggestion would be to get together the items you'd like to take and get a pack and see if they fit. I had bought a pack and found it to be too small to fit my stuff so I ended up taking it back and getting a 40L and my stuff fit in it well. Packed, it weighted about 22 lbs. (with a filled water bottel on the side) My buddy had a 60L but light weight enough so while it was big, the Top of it rolled down so he was not using the full 60L.

I'm also considering doing the Portugues route, April into May this year. Last time we did the Norte route starting in Irun near the end of June. I'm 6'2".

Last edited:
Ditto somewhere around 40 to 45 L should be adequate. I to and waiting for one of my selections to arrive so I can determine if it’s adequate for my needs and I’m on the Portuguese route and I sense it’ll be a little bit dryer so I’m actually needed the room for water I think still working on a final solution.

Hi,
Most has already been said, definitely start with what you want to bring, which will depend on where you will stay the night. I walked the portugese late october/early november 2021, and stayed in the more luxuruous albergues (they were about 15-18 euros per night with bedding and towels). This saved me bringing some of the more heavier items. I went with an Ultimate Direction Fast Pack 30 and still managed to bring my puffer jacket (hate being cold), bikini and a dress for evenings.

Go spend a few days shopping outdoor shops with a good range of packs and try them. As was said before, it's a very personal choice.

Wishing you a great experience on the CP, I loved it and have fond memories.
Buen camino

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I am hoping to do the Portuguese Camino- did the Camino Frances in 2016- loved it. I used a Gregory 43 or so and filled it/carried it no problem. I’m 5’5” 128lbs or so… I probably took a few items I didn’t need (but not much extra….)
I agree with others- I would recommend trying on many bags (sizes and makes). Fill it up with some weighted bags they usually have, and see how it feels on your back.
It has to fit YOU! You say you are 5’8”, but that is for size of the bag (not volume)… a MED. Maybe… depends on your torso length and your chest….. get sized by someone qualified BUT go with how it feels on your back.
As l said- take it home… pack it up… with
1-2 litres of water…. And walk around… take a walk (tags on) and get a feel for it.
I have Gregory and Osprey packs- they are good for a woman’s build - shoulder straps are set narrower which works for me- don’t rub.
Osprey (and now Gregory) have inserts to adjust the length to fit you better- get qualified help at the store….
I love a springboard back (I have done hikes with the Jade 38 and LOVE it!!!👍)
Buying a bag is like buying shoes- needs to work for you….
Weight of the bag is something to consider… are you planning to bring a sleeping bag or just a liner…
I hated trying to make everything fit in- stressful. I went a bit bigger BUT I don’t fill it full.😂
I even had a little room for a couple of very small souvenirs…
Buen Camino!

Those both sound like a good choice. Pick which one you like best, buy it and get to walking.
Also backpack choice isn't as important as physical fitness and proper footwear. I never met a single pilgrim on any Camino I walked that had to end their Camino early or were struggling due to the wrong backpack. Fitness and footwear? I guarantee you right now there's a pilgrim on the Camino somewhere struggling due to one or both of those.

I think 38 ltr is overkill for the Portuguese in May! Sticking to the rule of 3x, i.e tops, underwear, shorts/trousers/skirt etc!
a 38 ltr is going to be half empty!
Without knowing their packing list, you don’t want to buy something too big, purely just to fit everything you think you may need!
I took over the 3x formula, including extra footwear and had still a full top half empty!
I could half easily dropped down to a 30 ltr!
@green_spork, Perhaps you would like to share how tall you are and how much you weigh, and perhaps when you do that, re-read the advice that I gave. It would give us the basis for a reasonable discussion.

My recommended starting point for someone buying a new pack is based on either their height or their weight. If they use this approach, and find they can fit it into a smaller pack, fine. And if they need a larger pack to feel comfortable, that's fine too. But simply suggesting a size is too big based on your own experience at your size and weight makes absolutely no sense to me at all. It strikes me as the worst sort of advice that I see on this forum.

ps I have never heard of the 'rule of 3x'. On the camino, I pack two sets of underwear, and one of everything else. For other travelling I have pattern of wearing a set of clothes, packing three sets of underwear, one set of warm and water-resistant layers, and two of everything else. Three sets of everything seems far too much to me! It certainly wouldn't qualify as a 'rule'!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi Marye02, my friend Eileen and I are also doing the Portuguese caminho in May - starting from Lisbon on the 14th. We both use 30L Deuter SL (womens fit) packs with the trampoline back which allows for good airflow between your back and the pack. I find Deuter packs very comfortable and have several in varying sizes depending on use - daypack to full hiking kit (tent etc). Hope we see you on the way😊 Linda

The recommended starting point for buying a new pack, should always be having your back/torso correctly measured!

It’s your TORSO LENGTH that is the key element, not your HEIGHT/WEIGHT!

You make no mention of the importance of this in your initial advice!

I personally wouldn’t suggest that “simply halfing a persons weight,” then matching it to the the closest pack is a very accurate system!

ps
You seem confused regarding what 3x means! It simply taking 3 key items you continuously rotate! i.e 3x tech t-shirts, 3x pairs of socks! 3x underwear!

@green_spork, Perhaps you would like to share how tall you are and how much you weigh, and perhaps when you do that, re-read the advice that I gave. It would give us the basis for a reasonable discussion.
My recommended starting point for someone buying a new pack is based on either their height or their weight. If they use this approach, and find they can fit it into a smaller pack, fine. And if they need a larger pack to feel comfortable, that's fine too. But simply suggesting a size is too big based on your own experience at your size and weight makes absolutely no sense to me at all. It strikes me as the worst sort of advice that I see on this forum.

ps I have never heard of the 'rule of 3x'. On the camino, I pack two sets of underwear, and one of everything else. For other travelling I have pattern of wearing a set of clothes, packing three sets of underwear, one set of warm and water-resistant layers, and two of everything else. Three sets of everything seems far too much to me! It certainly wouldn't qualify as a 'rule'!

The recommended starting point for buying a new pack, should always be having your back/torso correctly measured!

It’s your TORSO LENGTH that is the key element, not your HEIGHT/WEIGHT!

You make no mention of the importance of this in your initial advice!

I personally wouldn’t suggest that “simply halfing a persons weight,” then matching it to the the closest pack is a very accurate system!

ps
You seem confused regarding what 3x means! It simply taking 3 key items you continuously rotate! i.e 3x tech t-shirts, 3x pairs of socks! 3x underwear!

I'm not sure there's much to say here. You merely seem to be nit-picking on what sequence might be best used for selecting a pack, and not really addressing the important issue that has be-devilled this forum for as long as I have been a member - what advice should one give about how big a back to choose.

You are correct that I don't mention torso length, and there are good reasons for not doing so:
  • there is ample advice from others, and has been for years, on the more detailed processes of buying a pack. The most recent is the excellent advice provided by @davebugg, who has synthesised the many diverse thoughts presented on this topic over the years. I don't need to repeat that.
  • if members use a reputable outfitter, this will be one of the many considerations a knowledgeable salesperson will discuss when assisting in the selection of a pack.
  • and perhaps more importantly, one doesn't go to a store to get one's back length measured, one goes to get a certain size pack, and torso length is only then a consideration.
You suggest my approximation method is inaccurate. It is an estimate, nothing more, but its a damn sight more accurate than what is the more common practice of suggesting that someone should use the same size pack that they themselves wore when they have no idea about the height and weight of the person asking for advice on this.

More, if you can develop a more accurate way of getting to a reasonable starting point, please do, and let us know what it is. The whole trekking world will love you. As it is, they will continue to rely on the myriad web-sites that attempt to guide people on this. One with well established provenance is here, based on formula from The Complete Walker. I have adapted and simplified that approach in developing the advice that I give on this matter.

I can tell what 3x might mean, but I don't see it as the rule you suggested earlier it might be nor do I agree that it is a useful guide to what to pack for a camino. I have explained my approach, I don't need to repeat it.

As an aside, I am finding the image of clothing items being continuously rotated somewhat distressing. I must admit that I leave my change of clothes in my backpack until the evening after my shower, and then put them on without rotating them. I cannot imagine that I would attempt anything so difficult as continuously rotating them while I am walking.

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The osprey stratus 36 was a good option for me. It has adjustable sizing too👍

My 36 litre was packed full lol. But I am 193 cm and 100 kilos. Only thing I didn’t really need (only used twice) was a thin down top

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Used an Osprey Stratos 36ltr, Camino Portuguese central, loved the airflow suspension system, very comfortable, loads of space, could have even went smaller!
The female version is called “Sirius”
Same features!

I think they have updated the whole Osprey range now!

Definitely do your research, try as many packs as possible!
I have an Osprey 36 Sirrus. I love mine. I got it in 2019. The back suspension is great. I do recommend you try on many packs. I would also suggest to fill the pack with the weight you are planning on walking in to see how you like the feel. REI has a great return policy.

I will reuse my pack that I used on my CF and in the Alps.
It is a 40l very lightweight (860gr.) backpack with a single compartment, built in raincover and 2 top-cover-pockets (one outside, one inside).
All clothes and stuff will be packed in mesh-bags (toiletries in watertight bag) to avoid mixing and to shorten the search for goods.

I'll walk the CP from Porto end of March to mid of April.

Bom Caminho!

I have a Deuter 35+10 and find it to have plenty of space and it fits my body. Weight carried has varied from 7+kg to 6kg. minus the water. It works on the Camino Frances as well as the Portuguese.
You have to go try them on though, our recommendations are useless.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I walked the full Frances with an Osprey Atmos AG 50 (im 5ft 7 if it matters) weighing in at around 12kg and did not struggle with my pack at all.
I walked from Sarria for my second camino and thought i had to have a smaller lighter pack, so used a Vango Ozone 40 that weighed less than 9kg all in.

I would happily walk 1000km with that 12kg 50 Litre Osprey over the Vango any day of the week.

I went to the store with all my gear and tried on every single pack until i found the one that fitted and was most comfortable for my Frances - hence the bigger atmos. the additional capacity also meant i wasnt cramming stuff in and had space to carry food etc if i needed.

The vango I bought off a few youtube videos and recommendations.

So as has been said here already - get your gear together. Go down to one of these stores (trust me they have seen it all before!) and try the bags on - ALL OF THEM 30l, 40l, 50l, 60l Doesnt matter. At one GoOutdoors the assistant actually helped with adjusting and getting packs right.

Ask yourself:
Is this pack comfortable?
Does my stuff fit - am I happy with the lack of space, or additional space?
Can my easy reach stuff be easily reached (i.e. can you grab a water bottle from the side easy, or do i have hip pockets for my phone/money - its amazing how much those small things add up over 700km)?
How does the weight fit on my back, is it distributed well?

Do Not ask yourself:
What will other pilgrims think about my choice of pack?

My husband has the Osprey Atmos AG 50 as well. He loves it. He has taken it on the past two caminos and will take this pack again in October.

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.