• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Rain pants in May

Cristinaa

Time of past OR future Camino
May 2016
Okay so im about 4 weeks out from the start of my Camino and the last thing i am thinking about is..rain pants. Actually there is something else but thats a separtae topic al together

My worry is...if it torrentially rains down on me for a whole day, i get wet, thats fine, thats not my probelm. My worry is how dry or how wet will my "waterproof" boots be the next morning? So my thinking is..if i get lightweight rain pants, Kathmandu have a pair at 200g, this will cover the tops of my boots and some of my of my shoes, protecting them a little bit more than if i had nothing.

What do you think?

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I bought a lot of gear from Kathmandu prior to my first Camino. A bit of a rush of enthusiasm when there was a sale on. :oops:
IMHO their gear is not that great. More 'recreational' than 'serious' hiking gear. Most of what I bought there I later sold or never used.....

Most of the gear I actually used, I got from Paddy Pallin.

I suspect the rain pants you are loking at the Nylon Pocket-it Rain Pants v3 - Black? Be aware that these won't 'breathe' and are likely therefore to cause a build up of moisture inside. The same problem with all non-breathable rain wear sadly.

I ended up buying Goretex Rain pants from Mountain Designs. Still under $100 and under 200 gms. Totally waterproof and no internal condensation.....

Happy gear hunting :)

Bring rain pants and get them a little extra long fot the reasons you stated, let them as far down over your boots as they will go, this will keep your boots a lot dryer and mud free. The pants are also great to keep you warn on cold windy days, it reduces the wind chill factor. We wore ours as much for the cold as for the rain.
Have a great Camino.
Buen Camino.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Gaiters might be a better option if it is only your boots you are concerned about.

I used rain pants a number of times. Here are my personal observations:

Great on cool damp days whereby you can pull them over a pair of shorts to keep your legs warmer. In May on the Camino frances in the mornings and especially at the higher altitudes you may experience this type of weather and you want to do this.

On days when it rains lightly I rather just hike in my shorts - your legs will dry faster than your rain pants. Walking through Galicia you find this type of situation for example. By Galicia you will be a hardy pilgrim and you will be surprised on what you are prepared to put up with.

In severe raining weather, rain pants keep your legs dry but your boots will probably get wet - water flows down the legs and makes it way into your boots somehow someway. But then in that type of situation you will wearing a poncho too, so rain pants may or may not make a difference. Only once in May did it rain that much and then again regardless what I was wearing my equipments boots and all got soaked.

I still take them but I rarely use them.

Hope this helps

Okay so im about 4 weeks out from the start of my Camino and the last thing i am thinking about is..rain pants. Actually there is something else but thats a separtae topic al together

My worry is...if it torrentially rains down on me for a whole day, i get wet, thats fine, thats not my probelm. My worry is how dry or how wet will my "waterproof" boots be the next morning? So my thinking is..if i get lightweight rain pants, Kathmandu have a pair at 200g, this will cover the tops of my boots and some of my of my shoes, protecting them a little bit more than if i had nothing.

What do you think?
I agree with Robo, Kathmandu stuff isn't up to scratch.
I buy everything online usually from the US.
The website outdoorgearlab, does reviews on most items and I've trusted them for many purchases without any issues. Better quality stuff, usually cheaper based on independent advise, try it.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Bring rain pants and get them a little extra long fot the reasons you stated, let them as far down over your boots as they will go, this will keep your boots a lot dryer and mud free. The pants are also great to keep you warn on cold windy days, it reduces the wind chill factor. We wore ours as much for the cold as for the rain.
Have a great Camino.
Buen Camino.

I used rain pants a number of times. Here are my personal observations:

Great on cool damp days whereby you can pull them over a pair of shorts to keep your legs warmer. In May on the Camino frances in the mornings and especially at the higher altitudes you may experience this type of weather and you want to do this.

On days when it rains lightly I rather just hike in my shorts - your legs will dry faster than your rain pants. Walking through Galicia you find this type of situation for example. By Galicia you will be a hardy pilgrim and you will be surprised on what you are prepared to put up with.

In severe raining weather, rain pants keep your legs dry but your boots will probably get wet - water flows down the legs and makes it way into your boots somehow someway. But then in that type of situation you will wearing a poncho too, so rain pants may or may not make a difference. Only once in May did it rain that much and then again regardless what I was wearing my equipments boots and all got soaked.

I still take them but I rarely use them.

Hope this helps

So, whether to bring rain pants for cold and/or rain has been my back-and-forth question, too. I have gaiters and a poncho, and so I THINK I have decided to leave behind my rain pants for my Camino, which starts in a week. I do have a pair of leggings to wear under my pants, although the combination won't be as warm as wearing my rain pants. So, unless the last forecast I look at before leaving predicts record cold, I plan to leave them behind.

So, whether to bring rain pants for cold and/or rain has been my back-and-forth question, too. I have gaiters and a poncho, and so I THINK I have decided to leave behind my rain pants for my Camino, which starts in a week. I do have a pair of leggings to wear under my pants, although the combination won't be as warm as wearing my rain pants. So, unless the last forecast I look at before leaving predicts record cold, I plan to leave them behind.

My perspective is that rain pants are not really that great. Good quality gaiters keep your boots dry. Dry them out at night, stuff newspaper in them if they need to get wicked out of moisture.

If you want something to keep your legs warm, rain pants are not your friend. Maybe for wind, but not for pure cold.

My kit will include a set of belay pants, that I will use inside a sleeping bag liner (along with a light down sweater) as my sleeping bag, if it is cold at night or I get caught outside. Belay pants will keep your legs really warm.

I was taught by an older and more experienced mountain climber to get really good belay pants for climbing on glaciers and high rock mountains. They keep you warm during the day and at night. Rather than having to carry a sleeping bag, with insulation that isn't surrounding the entire lower part of your body, just carry insulation that will be next to your body (in the form of belay pants). Back when I started mountain climbing, bivy sacks or something that just cover your legs while you work your climbing jacket was typical climbing minimalist gear and some used them during a long cold belay.

My perspective is that rain pants are not really that great. Good quality gaiters keep your boots dry. Dry them out at night, stuff newspaper in them if they need to get wicked out of moisture.

If you want something to keep your legs warm, rain pants are not your friend. Maybe for wind, but not for pure cold.

My kit will include a set of belay pants, that I will use inside a sleeping bag liner (along with a light down sweater) as my sleeping bag, if it is cold at night or I get caught outside. Belay pants will keep your legs really warm.

I was taught by an older and more experienced mountain climber to get really good belay pants for climbing on glaciers and high rock mountains. They keep you warm during the day and at night. Rather than having to carry a sleeping bag, with insulation that isn't surrounding the entire lower part of your body, just carry insulation that will be next to your body (in the form of belay pants). Back when I started mountain climbing, bivy sacks or something that just cover your legs while you work your climbing jacket was typical climbing minimalist gear and some used them during a long cold belay.
Thanks for the advice. It's confirmed my decision to leave the rain pants at home.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Thanks people. Ive decided no rain pants. For a "what if" situation, i cant justify carrying them. Will just deal with it the best i can on the day if it eventuates.

Thanks people. Ive decided no rain pants. For a "what if" situation, i cant justify carrying them. Will just deal with it the best i can on the day if it eventuates.
You and me both!

We will bring ours. Friends who walked last year (May) at the same time of year said they needed them in the Pyrenees and also wore them in other high parts of the CF. Have both Tresspass Quickpak pants and jackets. Cheap and packable.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
When we hiked last year, there were days when there was more water inside our shoes than there was outside, it seemed. Even so, after removing the liner for the night, our shoes dried out sufficiently enough to not be a concern the next day. I say, just go with it...it's just water. ;)

As for rain pants, I'm not a fan. Too heavy, too warm, too cumbersome. I recommend using a rain kilt. Super lightweight, can be put on/taken off easily, and can be used as a ground cover to sit on, if necessary.

I bought a lot of gear from Kathmandu prior to my first Camino. A bit of a rush of enthusiasm when there was a sale on. :oops:
IMHO their gear is not that great. More 'recreational' than 'serious' hiking gear. Most of what I bought there I later sold or never used.....

Most of the gear I actually used, I got from Paddy Pallin.

I suspect the rain pants you are loking at the Nylon Pocket-it Rain Pants v3 - Black? Be aware that these won't 'breathe' and are likely therefore to cause a build up of moisture inside. The same problem with all non-breathable rain wear sadly.

I ended up buying Goretex Rain pants from Mountain Designs. Still under $100 and under 200 gms. Totally waterproof and no internal condensation.....

Happy gear hunting :)
Yikes! I never even thought about whether they might be breathable. Phew, it says they are. My pack is now an assortment of lozenges > rain trousers, sleeping bag, anti-bug bedsheet, ditty bags, paracetamol...

Don't trust what they say. There is a wide range of "breathable" raingear, and no standards as to what can claim to be breathable. In the very best stuff, you'll still get warm and kinda sweaty. In the cheapest stuff, you'll feel like you're in a sauna. Put them on and wear them on a hike to find out just how breathable they really are for you.

In my experience, there is no miracle membrane that lets all sweat evaporate while keeping you warm and completely dry. This is why I just wear wool when I ride my bike in the rain. I may get wet, but I'll still be warm and comfortable. And when I finish the ride, I'll take a shower and be just as wet as I was on the ride, so why bother trying to stay dry?

When hiking, I do prefer to keep my torso and arms dry with a poncho or rain jacket, but let my legs get wet. Unless it's pretty chilly and/or windy, the exercise will keep them warm. If it's cold or windy enough, I'll put on a pair of smartwool tights that I carry for sleeping. They'll be wet but warm, and the tights dry out pretty quickly when I get to the destination. Some leg warmers than could be put on without taking off my shorts would be much more convenient, though.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thanks for all advices. I am planning to start in two weeks. Most of the time it is going to be May. Is there really so much raining?

And one more question: how to dry shoes? Are there hair dryers available at hostels or we should bring one? Thaaanks

Thanks for all advices. I am planning to start in two weeks. Most of the time it is going to be May. Is there really so much raining?

And one more question: how to dry shoes? Are there hair dryers available at hostels or we should bring one? Thaaanks
Don't bring a hairdryer.

My rain pants were great in May. Kept the cold out and then easy to remove when it warmed up. Kept the rain off and out of my boots. Much better than gaiters IMO, and lighter. I have a good poncho so in light rain would not use them but in heavy rain, running off the poncho the rain pants are wonderful (Peter Storm - breathable). I bought a large size and made sure that they went on and off over my boots easily (ie without removing my boots).

Guides that will let you complete the journey your way.

Most read last week in this forum

**Update** I reached out to the developer and a fix is in! unistalled the app again, and reinstalled the new updated version, and it works like a charm again! Hi! I am 15 days out from my...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Greetings Fellow Pilgrims! I have more than a month to go until I leave on my first Camino, but couldn't resist getting my pack together already this weekend. My full backpack (Deuter 30 L) is...
I had bought the long Camino banner-style map in Santiago and finally got around to having it framed. The framers managed to tear my map and I'm in need of a replacement. Does anyone know where...
Hi Guys This is just for info really; but if mods want to they can delete! For this May's Camino i have gone back to my Talon 33 (so much less stuff this time; in fact everything is in the top...
Hi, I start my Camino from Oviedo on Sunday the 23rd of June. I was hoping to buy some hiking poles from the Decathlon store, but it doesn’t seem to open on a Sunday, nor do the other hiking...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.