• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Rain...what rain?

Steeltown Pilgrim

Time of past OR future Camino
Tunnel Le Puy Via De Plata Ingles Primitivo Norte Frances Portuguese Fisterra Muxia hospitalero
Arrived in Santiago on Oct. 9 (42 days) having completed the Via de Plata from Seville . Happy to say that in the first 39 days we walked in the rain only once! Galicia wasn't so kind as we got soaked 2 of the last 3 days--but it just didn't matter by then. Feeling very fortunate--many thanks!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Well done: Respect!

The VdlP is a completely different beast from the CF: Now you know why it is nicknamed "El Camino Duro":)

Glad you mostly had good weather: Between Salamanca and SdC I had 20 days of (often hard) rain, 2 days of snow over mountain passes, and 1 day of sunshine... In MAY 2012!!!:eek:

Well done: Respect!

The VdlP is a completely different beast from the CF: Now you know why it is nicknamed "El Camino Duro":)

Glad you mostly had good weather: Between Salamanca and SdC I had 20 days of (often hard) rain, 2 days of snow over mountain passes, and 1 day of sunshine... In MAY 2012!!!:eek:
Yikes...lotta rain there my friend!

Guides that will let you complete the journey your way.
[QUOTE="Steeltown Pilgrim, ]Arrived in Santiago on Oct. 9 (42 days) having completed the Via de Plata from Seville . Happy to say that in the first 39 days we walked in the rain only once! Galicia wasn't so kind as we got soaked 2 of the last 3 days--but it just didn't matter by then. Feeling very fortunate--many thanks![/QUOTE]
Wow - leaving Seville in mid Aug means that you walked in some of the hottest days. Like Alex "I am impressed". How has the AVE construction between Caceres and Canaveral affected the Camino - I walked part of this area in May 2013 - many detours. Buen Camino. SM

[QUOTE="Steeltown Pilgrim, ]Arrived in Santiago on Oct. 9 (42 days) having completed the Via de Plata from Seville . Happy to say that in the first 39 days we walked in the rain only once! Galicia wasn't so kind as we got soaked 2 of the last 3 days--but it just didn't matter by then. Feeling very fortunate--many thanks!
Wow - leaving Seville in mid Aug means that you walked in some of the hottest days. Like Alex "I am impressed". How has the AVE construction between Caceres and Canaveral affected the Camino - I walked part of this area in May 2013 - many detours. Buen Camino. SM[/QUOTE]
Actually, it was only the last three days in August but, man it was hot! We tried to leave between 6-7 am and get most of the heavy walking done by noon, at least in the first few weeks. The temperature rose steadily every day from 7am and didn't stop rising until about 7 at night. Walking in mid afternoon, especially after walking all morning, was not particularly wise, though it did happen. We often stopped under any shade trees we came across-I mean just for a minute or so--even in that short time, you can feel your body cooling.
Construction was never an issue anywhere on the trip. There was quite a bit of roadwork after Caceres, a couple of large unfinished bridges, more roadwork and, unfortunately, probably the worst dinner of the trip to end the day.

It was quite an unusual fall I would say. In the 34 days that I walked (from Granada) starting on Sept 24th I had about 15 minutes of showers spread out over 3 days. I arrived in Santiago on Nov 1st still wearing a t-shirt and 3/4 leggings - with sun! That was the last day as the next 2 days
were grey and rainy. I was a total of 42 days in Spain and the sun accompanied me everyday. What a blessing!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Oh yes, I remember May 2012...
A 34 day walk with only 4 dry days. But still, we loved it.

I walked the Via de la Plata this year and was blessed with the weather. I started April 1st in Seville and arrived in Santiago May 11th and then on to Muxia via Dumbria. I had every kind of weather- hot,cold, cold wind but only 2 days of rain( day 2 +3 ) and few hours of drizzle later in the journey. Had a great Camino and met wonderful people
Maura

Arrived in Santiago on Oct. 9 (42 days) having completed the Via de Plata from Seville . Happy to say that in the first 39 days we walked in the rain only once! Galicia wasn't so kind as we got soaked 2 of the last 3 days--but it just didn't matter by then.

It has been an amazing autumn. 43 days from Alicante with a total of 2-3 hours of heavy rain and 6-8 of drizzle must be unusual this late in the year, especially with only part of a morning of rain and drizzle in all of Galicia. The sunrises and sets have been fantastic.

Still got 4 days to Fisterra to get wet in ...

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
If anyone on any Camino/Chemin/Jakobsweg is wondering where your rain went ……don't worry I'll find it for you or, perhaps more accurately, it'll find me:(. I'm a walking rain magnet!

Most read last week in this forum

One reason for me choosing the VDLP is to avoid the constant stress of the bed race on the busier routes. Alas I haven’t escaped it. Literally every bed (that I’m able to contact) is full from...
I think I’m on day 12, so not quite two weeks in. Thus far the VDLP is definitely a different animal than the CF. And I have to say, I’m struggling to enjoy it as much as the CF last year. I...
Hello, Has anyone travelled by train or bus from Santiago to Zamora on to Granja de Moreruela, I've checked online and it seems there is a train from Santiago to Zamora. I will be flying from the...
Gronze has a note for the albergue in Valdesalor saying the key needs to be picked up from the town hall or the bar. Am I correct in assuming that this only applies if you are the first to arrive...
(Live on the Camino, but I don't know how to post with that tag) The Camino Sanabres winds through small stone villages and along vast green pastures rimmed in stone walls. Sometimes you walk on...
Be careful when you organise a transfer from the Arca de Caparra (Via’s emblem) to one of the three hotels in Jarilla. The guide books we are using state that you will be picked up at ARCA DE...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back