• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Realistic time frame

Andrew

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (2014)
early doors of planning my 1st camino with my son

we will aim to be in santiago on 4th july 2014 his 18th birthday

plan to start journey on ? 5th june arrive st jean pied de port late evening commence walk 6th

is this enough time do you reckon looks laike average of just under 17 miles per day

is thsi a do able time frame?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Many do it at that speed, but it is pretty brisk. Only you know what you can do. More typical is 33 to 35 days of walking.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
29 days is do-able. If you are confident you can walk that distance every day, day after day, in any weather conditions, without rest stops, sight seeing or any injury that needs resting. The human body is capable of the most amazing feats of endurance and the mind can drive the body even further. I would hope you will follow the very sound advice on preparation, pack weight and coping with the challenges the Camino can throw your way that can be found on this forum.

If you possibly can allow yourselves more time.

Buen camino

The issue is not whether you can walk 30km - the average you need to achieve, but the maximum distance that is needed to achieve that average. Bank on over half of your days being above the average - maybe only 2 or 3 km but perhaps much more. You will have to do this to reach a reasonable place to stay or make up for a short day just as two examples. You will also find that you are walking more than the distances between towns. You will do some walking in the evenings doing shopping, sightseeing and the like.

My own experience in 2010 was that my total distance walked was about 900 km on the CF from SJPP to SDC, about an extra 3km per day. This was a combination of things. My average daily distance was 24km, but my biggest day was 32km and my shortest around 18km on a day I stopped early after twisting my knee one morning.

You could consider starting further along the CF, eg in Pamplona, and making it more manageable. If you did that, your son might choose to start a few days earlier and meet you there. At that time of year, he won't be walking alone starting in SJPP.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
You might be better off considering starting a bit closer to Santiago, say Logrono or Burgos. Then you can start a little slower, take your time, figure out how long your stages should be..... With a time crunch looming, you guys might feel compelled to walk harder and faster on a daily basis than your bodies will be comfortable with. That can be disasterous in the way of blisters and other injuries! Its really a good idea to "budget" for off-days too - for rest and sightseeing. If you end up making it to Santiago with time to spare anyway, you can always then continue on to Fisterra/Muxia.

Taking the Camino at a nice easy pace is worthwhile. Rushing it doesn´t allow you to really enjoy the walk but forces you to that deadline and can turn it into hell.

Instead of starting at Donibane Garazi/ SJPdP you could perhaps start it closer to Santiago de Compostela. You´ll be able to walk the Camino , stop do some sightseeing along the way, enjoy the food,drink and even a nice chat with fellow peregrines and locals.

Whatever you decide , you´re on a great adventure, enjoy it.:)

Buen Camino!

Andrew:

Yes it is doable. Just do not think of the Camino in a linear sense. You do not have to walk 28km's everyday to meet your goal. Start slowly by easing your body into Camino condition. Then, just let the Camino be your guide.

The Meseta will present several opportunities for longer days (30 to 40 km's).

The suggestion to start somewhere other than SJPdP is also an option, maybe Pamplona?

Ultreya,
Joe

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
early doors of planning my 1st camino with my son

we will aim to be in santiago on 4th july 2014 his 18th birthday

plan to start journey on ? 5th june arrive st jean pied de port late evening commence walk 6th

is this enough time do you reckon looks laike average of just under 17 miles per day

is thsi a do able time frame?

I just finished 310 km from Leon to Santiago and we averaged 15 miles per day and that made for a long day! If I do it again I would do less miles per day.
I would recommend that you start somewhere closer to Santiago and hike fewer miles per day and enjoy the time with your son.

Doable yes, but depending on your fitness, it might be rather stressful and hurried as it leaves you little leeway for rest days. I agree that it would be perhaps better starting a bit closer to Santiago and, if you really have days left over at the end, enjoy Santiago or walk on to Finisterra. In all cases, Buen Camino! SY

To be honest, your son is liable to be unable to maintain the ~35+ KM average daily to do it from SJPP in that time frame. Long-distance hiking is one of the few sports where 40-somethings + routinely outperform teenagers.

In your shoes, I'd start from Pamplona. Pamplona-Santiago is most certainly doable in that time frame given the hiking speed uncertainty.

But then -- if the both of you are already comfortable with 35-40 KM stages for a day's walk, then yeah -- four weeks from SJPP to Santiago is about normal for any strong enough hiker, including the couple days chill on arrival.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I plan on leaving about the same time next year from SJPdP and I have scheduled 45 days which allows for a few short 5 to 8km rest days, a day or two of lousy weather and calling it a day before the albergues are full. If you are keen on starting in SJPdP you can always take a bus somewhere along the way to pick up your pace but please don't skip walking through the Meseta or any part of Galicia. I hope I see you next year.

I agree with most of the psotings on this thread - you may be happier with more time. Start closer to Santiago, if getting to Santiago is your goal. Besides having time to "smell the roses," you need to put some buffer space in there in case of illness or injury. You don't want to be stressed out and have to push yourself more than is comfortable in case of unforseen circumstances.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Haha - dislikes are common on most Internet forums and are not rational imho. Keyboard warriors ftw.

The only reason that i suggest this is that it leaves the possibility of doing the whole camino if lucky. If they start short they are guaranteed to not do the camino in its entirety.

Back to you amigo.

Haha - dislikes are common on most Internet forums and are not rational imho. Keyboard warriors ftw.

The only reason that i suggest this is that it leaves the possibility of doing the whole camino if lucky. If they start short they are guaranteed to not do the camino in its entirety.

Back to you amigo.

What´s "the whole camino"?

Buen Camino!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The "whole Camino" is from your home to Santiago, walking every step of the way.

Done that twice.

But that's the wrong question -- failing the "whole Camino", second best is from point A to Compostela walking every step. The "whole Camino" does not start at either SJPP or Le Puy or anywhere else ; it starts wherever you can start and then continue and then finish.

Planning ahead for bus journeys is just premeditated betrayal of the central ideal of the Camino.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hey
I am kind of in the same boat--I know I will only have about 3.5 weeks. I am a purist, and want to start in SJPP and then go as far as I can in the time I have..up until the last few days-where I will have to take the bus forward to Santiago to catch my flight back to the UK ( then home to Canada). I will not count the bus journey from wherever I stop to Santiago as part of "my" Camino. Next year, I will come back and finish the pilgrimage.
Questions:
1) is bus/taxi from anywhere along the Camino to Santiago ( in one fell swoop) fairly doable?
2) If I hike at a reasonable pace--after 3 weeks in...about where will I end up? ( I might have 3.5 weeks, but I will allow two days of travel from where I end up to Santiago, to catch my flight. ( assuming I start in SJPP)
I rather do this, then start forward ( ie Pampolona)
Thanks guys

Hey
I am kind of in the same boat--I know I will only have about 3.5 weeks. I am a purist, and want to start in SJPP and then go as far as I can in the time I have..up until the last few days-where I will have to take the bus forward to Santiago to catch my flight back to the UK ( then home to Canada). I will not count the bus journey from wherever I stop to Santiago as part of "my" Camino. Next year, I will come back and finish the pilgrimage.
Questions:
1) is bus/taxi from anywhere along the Camino to Santiago ( in one fell swoop) fairly doable?
2) If I hike at a reasonable pace--after 3 weeks in...about where will I end up? ( I might have 3.5 weeks, but I will allow two days of travel from where I end up to Santiago, to catch my flight. ( assuming I start in SJPP)
Thanks guys

Hi LauraG

Can you explain what you mean by " purist" please?
Your idea of going as far as you can is a good one. You can always return some time in the future and continue your Camino.
Regarding your two questions .......
1) you can do it bus bus ALSA is the bus company which can get you to Santiago de Compostela. By taxi it will come out quite expensive.
2)How far will you get? All depends on how you walk.If you suffer any kind of health issues. Weather conditions.Rest stops or sightseeing stops. A lot of factors have to be taken into account.
I hope you have a very nice time and enjoy it.

Buen Camino!

lol uh oh..didnt mean to imply anything with the use of the word " purist" I guess i mean...ummmm anal? :) I want to start at the beginning and walk to the end. Thats all I meant. I get that my beginning isnt your beginning etc etc. I just want to start at Point A and walk to Point B. In this case, MY point B is Finisterre ( sp?)
Unless I am injured, or quitting the Camino...I wouldnt take a cab between towns for example.
Thats all.
RE: getting the bus...right--is the bus fairly easy to pick up from most towns? I guess if I am running short of time--I take a cab to the nearest big town, then bus it from there....

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
WHOA?????????? what? lol oops...is there some debate about that? I thought it started in SJPP? Guidebooks indicate such? Really? I could skip the first day slog up the mountain? do tell.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
A Purist would start the Camino Frances in Roncesvalles where it begins.;)

You could do a bit of the Camino Navarra by starting in SJPdP...

That what I thought she meant.
Sorry to disagree but the Camino doesn´t start at Roncesvalles, that´s just the first inhabited place in Spain.

Buen Camino!

Camino doesn´t start at Roncesvalles
There is not "the Camino." The Camino Frances starts in Roncesvalles just as the Chemin du Puy starts in Le-Puy-en-Velay. That is why it is so lamentable to try to be a purist. A camino starts wherever you want it to...

Oh my. Lamentable? Yikes. I simply meant..I would walk and not take any wheeled transport with a motor. Bad choice of words. Obviously. Mea Culpa

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
There is not "the Camino." The Camino Frances starts in Roncesvalles just as the Chemin du Puy starts in Le-Puy-en-Velay. That is why it is so lamentable to try to be a purist. A camino starts wherever you want it to...

I always say that the Camino begins on one´s doorstep. The so called Camino Frances doesn´t begin in Roncesvalles, it begins further away not even in France. It was the way all the pilgrims who came down thru Europe passed into Spain as well as the other routes thru the Pyrenees.
I do agree that it is lamentable to try to be purist in this case.

Buen Camino!

la·men·ta·ble
expressing grief : mournful
<the lamentable cries of the women for their slain sons were heard throughout the village>

My feelings for those who try to be "purist." :D

Hey
Questions:
Thanks guys

There is bus service at least on a once per day basis from most (but not all) towns and villages along the way.

One strategy for research is to find the 'estacion de autobuses' in the larger towns and find the schedule for the regional bus (or sometimes local bus) that passes through your favorite village. You'll likely have to transfer to buses that connect the larger centers.

Major hubs include places like Pamplona, Logrono, Burgos, Leon and Ponferrada. Once in Galacia you need to look at towns like Lugo, and Monforte; places not on the camino.

Another option is to see if the train passes through your end point village.

Someone mentioned Alsa ... Alsa is a major network of bus companies but not all bus companies participate. That's why the start point for searching is the bus station website.

I would suggest calculating on a 20km per day pace (or 40 days for 800 km from SJPdP to Santiago) 21 days would be about 420 km ... vicinity of Sahagun (380 km from Santiago) If you are faster perhaps Leon or Astorga would be a good stopping point (317 km and 264 km from Santiago)

Last edited by a moderator:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
You can walk as long as you like, then take a bus ahead, if you need to make up time. As long as you walk the last 100km
you can get your certificate. I had to do just that to meet my time frame. Of course it's not walking the whole camino, but you don't want to
rush the trip and miss the whole reason for going in the first place. To experience the journey.

Laura:

There are several different Camino's. Most people walk the Camino Frances and the majority of those walking this route start in Sarria, followed by SJPdP, Leon, O'Cebreiro, Roncesvalles etc. etc. Therefore, there is no official starting point to receive a certificate for walking this route.

You could also consider walking one of the many other Camino's. Since you only have 3.5 weeks, you might want to consider the Primitivo or a combination of the San Salvador (5-6 days) and Primitivo (11-14 days). These route could be done in the time you have and allow you to go on to Finisterre (3 days).

Best of luck on whatever route(s) you choose.

Ultreya,
Joe

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
The "purist" starting point is the altar of one's parish church ; which is of course either impossible or impractical for most of those outside Western Europe. That is not where I will be starting my next Camino either, though it's where my last one started.

The so-called "starting points" (SJPP, Roncesvalles, Le Puy, Arles, Vézelay, Paris, etc) are actually gathering points, from the "purist" point of view.

Whatever -- doing the Camino in stages is one good solution for people with time limits, or simply starting from points further along the Way, Pamplona, Logroño, Burgos, etc. There's nothing wrong with starting either in Astorga or Sarria !!!

I guess it's futile to ask to get back on point? This thread was to advise the OP in response to their question no?

Many thanks to the "purists" though.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Many thanks to the "purists" though.
As in "do the whole thing or you will miss something that I found?" Lovingkindness walked from Norway. If she insisted on her own kind of purity, each of us would need to take at least a year off.:)

I suggest listening to the advice that has the general tone of "do what you can in the time you have; you won't regret it." Even suggestions of sections to skip because of their pleasantness are probably not as useful as the ones that suggest logistics, such as where you can catch a bus. One person's pleasant is another person's awful. As suggested, if a compostela is important to you, you should walk the last 100km from approximately Sarria (you can catch a taxi to the 100km marker, by the way). I think that the latest precision measurement for the 100km point is just after the albergues in Ferrerios, so the 100km marker is a couple of kilometers premature.

At some point you get to ignore all of us, and just have fun!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

One death attributed to a heart attack last week. Two pelegrinos gored, one seriously. One broken leg and many ending in Pamplona due to knee and leg and ankle injuries. Is it possible to confirm...
Hello. I am considering walking the Camino for the first time this fall, probably beginning the third week of September in St. Jean. But I keep reading about how crowded the Camino is, including...
Is there a list of albergues that also have private rooms on the Camino Frances? Gracias.
Hi everyone -- After walking the Frances from SJpdP last October, I'm planning to revisit the bit between Logrono and Burgos this July, following different stages. It's the section where I had...
I started out from Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port on 1 May. It turned out to be an unforgetable day. Above 1,000 m or so it snowed, catching many people unprepared. Later that day "many" walkers were...
And another attempt looms, to buy a decent Poncho after trying and failing in the previous two likely towns. Anyone know where an Altos or similar might be bought in Leon, please? 😁

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.