• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Reservoir Level in Portomarin in Sept. 2023

Trekker One

Time of past OR future Camino
C.F.2014,15,16,19&23, Portuguese'17, Primitivo'18
Having not hiked through Portomarin in the fall previously, I was shocked that the reservoir lake was down to a relative trickle when I passed by a couple of weeks ago.
First picture is from April of 2016, Second is from September this year.
Obviously not great For sailing!
Is lake level this seasonal?

Attachments

• IMG_0767.JPG
    IMG_0767.JPG
    467.6 KB · Views: 3,616
  • IMG_2675.JPG
    IMG_2675.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 258
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
This picture from the bridge heading into Portomarin again showing the huge drop in lake level.

Attachments

• IMG_2669.JPG
    IMG_2669.JPG
    978.7 KB · Views: 236
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I agree the level of this reservoir can vary quite considerably. On my first crossing (also in September 2015) (so late in the summer) the water level was well down, you could almost see the remains of the old road bridge; In May/June 2017 the water level was almost at what I would estimate is "full". I suppose it just depends upon how much winter/spring snow runoff there was and how much irrigation was needed. Cheers

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Having not hiked through Portomarin in the fall previously, I was shocked that the reservoir lake was down to a relative trickle when I passed by a couple of weeks ago. [...] Is lake level this seasonal?
It is indeed as seasonal as others have confirmed in reply to your question and as numerous photos illustrate. I knew about this and was excited when I passed through Portomarin a few years ago towards the end of October and discovered that I could actually walk onto the old bridge and stand in the middle of it - an eery feeling because at the time the water level was more or less equal to the walkway on the old bridge which has no guardrails ... you feel as if you are walking and standing on the surface of this vast water in this case ...

Your comment made me curious and I found the Belesar reservoir website with real-time data as well as data for the years 2021, 2022 and 2023 and average data for the last 10 years:

You write that you passed Portomarin a couple of weeks ago, i.e. in September 2023. I guess this means that you saw the river/reservoir area near Portomarin at a very low water level. At the beginning of August 2023, the mayor of Portomarin stated that at this point of the summer the level of the reservoir is quite low, so that you can already see the houses of the old Portomarín and the old bridge which had been used for crossing the river Miño until some 60 years ago. However, he also pointed out that the water level in August 2023 was not yet as low as last year when something unheard of ("cosa sin nombre") occurred, i.e. the water level was lower than ever before during the past six decades.

I guess we could take bets whether it will take another 60 years before the water level of the reservoir/river near Portomarín gets as low as in 2022 and 2021 or whether this becomes a more frequent occurrence. 😶

Last edited:
It is indeed as seasonal as others have confirmed in reply to your question and as numerous photos illustrate. I knew about this and was excited when I passed through Portomarin a few years ago towards the end of October and discovered that I could actually walk onto the old bridge and stand in the middle of it - an eery feeling because at the time the water level was more or less equal to the walkway on the old bridge which has no guardrails ... you feel as if you are walking and standing on the surface of this vast water in this case ...

Your comment made me curious and I found the Belesar reservoir website with real-time data as well as data for the years 2021, 2022 and 2023 and average data for the last 10 years:

You write that you passed Portomarin a couple of weeks ago, i.e. in September 2023. I guess this means that you saw the river/reservoir area near Portomarin at a very low water level. At the beginning of August 2023, the mayor of Portomarin stated that at this point of the summer the level of the reservoir is quite low, so that you can already see the houses of the old Portomarín and the old bridge which had been used for crossing the river Miño until some 60 years ago. However, he also pointed out that the water level in August 2023 was not yet as low as last year when something unheard of ("cosa sin nombre") occurred, i.e. the water level was lower than ever before during the past six decades.

I guess we could take bets whether it will take another 60 years before the water level of the reservoir/river near Portomarín gets as low as in 2022 and 2021 or whether this becomes a more frequent occurrence. 😶
I wonder if the culprit is the climate crisis.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
However, he also pointed out that the water level in August 2023 was not yet as low as last year when something unheard of ("cosa sin nombre") occurred, i.e. the water level was lower than ever before during the past six decades.
Yes -- when I crossed in October last year, the water level was incredibly low, it looked like lower even than would have been normal prior to the building of the dam -- in that parts below the natural river bank were stone dry.

Locals, even older ones, were commenting that they had never seen the like !! (this image is embiggable BTW)

WP_20221018_17_42_16_Pro.jpg

Last edited:
I wonder if the culprit is the climate crisis.
Why "culprit"? This is what the dam and reservoir were designed to do - collect water during the wet season, storing it for human use during other seasons. The fact is that there are clear seasonal variations. Whether these variations are becoming more extreme is another question. The 50-60 years of data for this reservoir, would be a small piece of information.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I look forward to seeing it in a couple weeks. Now I’m curious
Just remember to take the right-hand option for the descent to the bridge. Your knees will thank you later.

There's a cool bar in the pueblo just before that crossroads too !!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Having not hiked through Portomarin in the fall previously, I was shocked that the reservoir lake was down to a relative trickle when I passed by a couple of weeks ago.
First picture is from April of 2016, Second is from September this year.
Obviously not great For sailing!
Is lake level this seasonal?
I’m here today— it’s really, really compared to April… but Rain is expected—pretty much all this week🥴

On a slight side issue.
I am not a sailor of any kind and generally wary of boats smaller than the Titanic.
But looking at @JabbaPapa's picture, there must be a time when the water level is going down that the lake becomes un-navigable along its length because the old bridge must get in the way?

And on a different side issue. The first time I passed through Portomarin was in 2009 and there was no mains running water anyhwere in the (new) town, which seemed a bit ironic because its existence is due to the dam which I presume supplies water - (though conceivably not to the town). [In fact I guess it doesn't supply water to the town, as there would be none when the dam is low??] I remember going down with a group to wash and swim in the reservoir!

A tractor had damaged a pipe somewhere. The water came back around midnight.

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
From a friend on the ground in Pamplona https://www.noticiasdenavarra.com/fotos/general/sociedad/2024/04/23/nieve-primaveral-presente-navarra-8152386.html

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back