• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Roncesvalles Albergue

Lucyev

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances July 22nd (2020)
Hi, I'm looking to prebook a night at the albergue in Roncesvalles for next July (I'm obviously far too organised and excited lol). I'm just looking at the reservation process now and wondered if anyone had views as to whether I should pre book dinner and/or breakfast there? I'm not sure what the alternatives are, or whether I should book the meals in order to get to know the pilgrims who are at the same stage of the journey as me?

Lucy

Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.
The meal booking is highly recommended, not only to meet other pilgrims but find a place for dinner. If you are given the option chose la Postada. Tables of 8/10 and people who have just completed their first or second day on the Camino. You will be seeing a lot of them over the following weeks to come. I recommend breakfast in the first town after you leave Roncevalles.

Since you will definitely want to eat the pilgrim dinner and it’s just a matter of which restaurant they assign you then I think you should go ahead and prebook it. I’ve had the dinner there twice - in different restaurants by chance - and it was a great experience both times. I didn’t have breakfast there either time so I can’t opine on that. I do know there is a great breakfast stop just about an hour walking and you may be excited to get out on the Camino before breakfast.
Congratulations on coming this far - once you make up your mind to do it your journey has already begun. Buen Camino!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thank you both. I've just looked at La Posada on Booking.com, and it's sold out for my date next July! I didn't expect that! I think I'd better hurry up and book the albergue and the meal there.

Sometimes "already booked" means that they are not accepting bookings for that date yet. So if you don't book something else first, you might want to check back on it periodically.

Sometimes "already booked" means that they are not accepting bookings for that date yet. So if you don't book something else first, you might want to check back on it periodically.

I hadn't thought of that. Thank you. I guess I have to decide between the monastery one or Posada if it does become available.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi All, I’m a little confused. Is it now possible to book the Albergue de Peregrinos in Roncesvalles so far ahead? The last I heard one could only book 5 days ahead by email (for the standard 12 euros per night bed).

Hi All, I’m a little confused. Is it now possible to book the Albergue de Peregrinos in Roncesvalles so far ahead? The last I heard one could only book 5 days ahead by email (for the standard 12 euros per night bed).
I think the booking policy changed some time in the past 2 years.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
There are 2 seatings every night, no way they are already full for July unless there is some giant tour bus.

I'm really not sure. This is on Booking.com. Any date I put in around that time seems to be booked for the room. I guess I need to decide where I want to stay between Posada and the monastery one, as I hadn't considered anything other than the monastery.

Thanks Biarritzdon. I'm on the actual website for the albergue, and was about to book when I dithered about whether to get food there or not. I looked on booking.com then and the Posada is the only one on that site that is in Roncesvalles. The others are beyond it, so don't want to book any of them as I'm sure I won't want to walk any more. I think maybe I'm over thinking it, which is not unusual for me lol. At the moment I'm leaning towards just booking the albergue with dinner there and getting breakfast en route as suggested. I guess it will be cool to have the first big albergue experience with a communal meal on my first proper day with knackered legs. I appreciate your help.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
When you prepay dinner with the albergue - it is a dinner ticket for either dinner at the Posada or dinner at the other restaurant in town, Casa Sabina. You will be served a pilgrim meal with all the other pilgrims before the restaurants serve regular dinner at the Spanish dinner time. Hotel Roncesvalles also has a restaurant, but it is more expensive than the pilgrim dinners and I think it starts later in the evening. I have eaten dinner at both the Posada and Casa Sabina and I preferred the Posada as it is a bigger room and more comfortable. But both are fine. Buen Camino!

As far as I know there are just two restaurants in Roncesvalles. You can either purchase your dinner through the monastery (they will give you a ticket for a specified time at one of them) or just show up and order ala carte at one of the two restaurants.
I prefer to be seated with other pilgrims.

My first time there I also bought the breakfast ticket. The meal was disappointing, and I had to wait for the restaurant to open. I prefer to walk for a while and eat breakfast in Espinal.

As far as I know there are just two restaurants in Roncesvalles. You can either purchase your dinner through the monastery (they will give you a ticket for a specified time at one of them) or just show up and order ala carte at one of the two restaurants.
I prefer to be seated with other pilgrims.

My first time there I also bought the breakfast ticket. The meal was disappointing, and I had to wait for the restaurant to open. I prefer to walk for a while and eat breakfast in Espinal.

That is really really helpful. thank you!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I have eaten dinner at both the Posada and Casa Sabina and I preferred the Posada as it is a bigger room and more comfortable.
I also prefer La Posada. I remember being seated at long tables with plenty of other pilgrims to talk with. At Casa Sabina we were seated at tables for four. At my table there was only one other English speaker at my table. We got by with gestures, but it wasn't as enjoyable.

When you prepay dinner with the albergue - it is a dinner ticket for either dinner at the Posada or dinner at the other restaurant in town, Casa Sabina. You will be served a pilgrim meal with all the other pilgrims before the restaurants serve regular dinner at the Spanish dinner time. Hotel Roncesvalles also has a restaurant, but it is more expensive than the pilgrim dinners and I think it starts later in the evening. I have eaten dinner at both the Posada and Casa Sabina and I preferred the Posada as it is a bigger room and more comfortable. But both are fine. Buen Camino!

This answers explains a lot. Thank you so much.

I also prefer La Posada. I remember being seated at long tables with plenty of other pilgrims to talk with. At Casa Sabina we were seated at tables for four. At my table there was only one other English speaker at my table. We got by with gestures, but it wasn't as enjoyable.

Thank you. Is there a way to ensure you get a La Posada meal when you prebook with the albergue?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
As far as booking ahead, I've already booked the Roncesvalles Albergue for March 2021 !!

As far as meals, I prefer La Posada, though Casa Sabina was fine.
I would skip booking breakfast as there are a lot of nice places up the road next morning.

Yay, I was worried I was worrying too early, but it seems not! It's good to be prepared!

Thank you. Is there a way to ensure you get a La Posada meal when you prebook with the albergue?
Not unless it’s changed. You will get a paper dinner ticket when you arrive at the albergue. You might be allowed to pick at that time. I didn’t mind the table of four at Casa Sabina but it was my second time so I felt like I had had the La Posada experience which is also nice.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
You should have the option of picking this far in advance, obviously I’m a fan of Posada. Staying at Posada is also a nice experience and the dinner at the monastery restaurant is over the top for most pilgrims but worth it. Save b/f for Espinal, there is a great place there on the square in the center of town with heuvos fritos and bacon that is out of this world

Had breakfast at the monastery (well the cafe stet higer just out of the grounds ?) ,not sure if i .would get this next time but there was lots of refills of nice filter coffee .
had walked from sjpdp in about 6 hours so at dinnertime was easy to get a bed 13th sept ,the queues were really bad late afternoon so even if booked im guessing still a long wait to show id.
liked the bed set up here ,2 bunk beds a section ,the library room and the alarm call singing monk music
but mainly amazing building and setting

I booked for first week of April in Roncesvalles on their website. And it’s true sometimes « all booked » just means it may be too early to book ahead. That’s what happened to me with an albergue for SJPdP. Now it’s booked. But at the time it was too early. Buen Camino. Never too early to plan ahead, it’s so much fun. 👍😊

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
A lot of Spanish hotels haven’t opened summer 2020 dates for reservations yet. Booking.com will show “sold out”, but really it’s just too early to book some places. Not saying that you shouldn’t want to book that early - I book early sometimes myself - just that it’s not possible with some hotels, in which case you need to check back from time to time.

Relax, breathe, and then book a bed and a meal. Don’t sweat to have the “best” albuergue, meal, path, and so on. It changes so much based on who is there, who you are, how tired you are, the weather, and so on. You can’t make it all “perfect”, but stressing over trying to do that will guarantee you won’t enjoy it as much as you could have.

Relax. Breathe.

Is it now possible to book the Albergue de Peregrinos in Roncesvalles so far ahead? The last I heard one could only book 5 days ahead by email (for the standard 12 euros per night bed).
The Roncesvalles albergue has been running their own online booking system for several years now. You cannot book a bed for their winter season (November-February) but you can currently already book a bed for next year's main season which runs from 8 March 2020 until 6 November 2020, so, yes, up to a year ahead.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
The Roncesvalles albergue has been running their own online booking system for several years now. You cannot book a bed for their winter season (November-February) but you can currently already book a bed for next year's main season which runs from 8 March 2020 until 6 November 2020, so, yes, up to a year ahead.

Or more. They're already booking for 2021.

I have a reserved booking for 4 NOV. Probably didn't need to, but did it anyway.
Did not book dinner, I will do that when we check in, just want to make sure we can make the Pilgrim Mass/blessing.

I have a reserved booking for 4 NOV. Probably didn't need to, but did it anyway.
Did not book dinner, I will do that when we check in, just want to make sure we can make the Pilgrim Mass/blessing.
By early November you will probably encounter considerably less pilgrims on the Frances. Interesting to know how many will be at the albergue at Roncesvalles by then. I would be surprised if it was more than 50% occupied.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi, I'm looking to prebook a night at the albergue in Roncesvalles for next July (I'm obviously far too organised and excited lol). I'm just looking at the reservation process now and wondered if anyone had views as to whether I should pre book dinner and/or breakfast there? I'm not sure what the alternatives are, or whether I should book the meals in order to get to know the pilgrims who are at the same stage of the journey as me?

Lucy
Don't overthink it. You cannot reserve a bed until 90 days before the fact. Getting a bed is not normally a problem between the convent and the restaurant where Martin Sheen stayed in the movie (100 yards away from the convent). Same is true for the dinner even though I do not believe they will accept a reservation.

The meal booking is highly recommended, not only to meet other pilgrims but find a place for dinner. If you are given the option chose la Postada. Tables of 8/10 and people who have just completed their first or second day on the Camino. You will be seeing a lot of them over the following weeks to come. I recommend breakfast in the first town after you leave Roncevalles.
I second this: the dinner is fun and worth booking ahead. My strong advice is to skip the breakfast, which is very busy and not terribly worthwhile (no aspersions cast, just the challenge of trying to feed so many at the same time) and walk the 2km or so to Burguete. There are a couple of good places to stop there, and if you’re not too early, also a little supermarket.

€60,-
Thank you both. I've just looked at La Posada on Booking.com, and it's sold out for my date next July! I didn't expect that! I think I'd better hurry up and book the albergue and the meal there.
It might not be sold out: you may just be a bit early to book for next season. You could email them, but equally the albergue is very good.

By early November you will probably encounter considerably less pilgrims on the Frances. Interesting to know how many will be at the albergue at Roncesvalles by then. I would be surprised if it was more than 50% occupied.
I will be amazed if it is even 25%. I’ll let you guys know.
Fly to MAD from MIA on Friday night.
Buen Camino

You cannot reserve a bed until 90 days before the fact. Getting a bed is not normally a problem between the convent and the restaurant where Martin Sheen stayed in the movie (100 yards away from the convent). Same is true for the dinner even though I do not believe they will accept a reservation.

Like you I didn't think it was possible to reserve so far ahead, but, with many thanks to those who replied to my previous post above, I have now booked my bed at Roncesvalles Albergue de Peregrinos for 17 June 2020 (12 euros for a bed) AND reserved my dinner for 7pm (11 euros for dinner).

Like you I didn't think it was possible to reserve so far ahead, but, with many thanks to those who replied to my previous post above, I have now booked my bed at Roncesvalles Albergue de Peregrinos for 17 June 2020 (12 euros for a bed) AND reserved my dinner for 7pm (11 euros for dinner).

Yes, thanks to everyone who replied with useful information. I have now booked the albergue and dinner,a nd will walk on for breakfast like suggested.

will walk on for breakfast like suggested.

Hi, I’m one of those very strange breeds on the camino who doesn’t “do” early morning starts, and I really enjoyed my breakfast in Roncesvalles! Everyone else rushes off into the dark forest, with headlamps to see the way, whilst I prefer to take a leisurely breakfast and amble on after the crowds have all gone.

As one who cannot do much of anything without breakfast, I would advise eating before leaving Roncesvalles.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
It is only 2.8 kilometres (1.7 miles) from Roncesvalles to Burguete, on a nice flat path, and you get a much nicer breakfast! Besides, the pleasure of eating it in the place where Hemingway wrote "The Sun Also Rises".

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I second the recommendation for the bar in the square at Espinal. Enjoyed breakfast there in August and the food was even better with the Jazz being played. Ymmv.

Lucy
Yes do it! Lovely meal and easy!

I didn't know you could even get breakfast in Roncevalles. We just had a cup of bad coffee from a machine downstairs in the albergue and then a very good breakfast an hour or so later in the next town. Be sure to get the chistorra with your eggs.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I’ve stayed at Roncesvalles twice and eaten at both places for dinner and both were good. I prefer Casa Sabina for the whole trout , eyes and all. Delicious! Good comraderi too! Skip breakfast there and stop at the first place you pass to eat. (Less than an hour). Wonderful meals! Buen Camino!

I'm not a particularly early riser, but when I walked through Burguete this year on a Monday morning there were no bars or cafes open yet. I had breakfast in Espinal.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Lucy

Hi Lucy,
You can book both dinner and breakfast at the website, but you can also order it when you are there. There are almost just pilgrims staying at the albergue so I'm sure you will meet them 😉 Buen camino! / Kerstin

Lucy
I started in September this year and was amazed at how hot and humid it still was for most of September. I don't want to put you off but be aware of the heat in July. An albergue in Los Arcos said they had no pilgrims during July and August because of heat.

Yes, thanks to everyone who replied with useful information. I have now booked the albergue and dinner,a nd will walk on for breakfast like suggested.
[/QUOTE

I am having a heck of a time booking on the website for the Roncavalles alburgue. I’ve tried every credit card and it walkways comes back with “The operation can not be performed. Transaction denied.” Has anyone else had this problem? I’ve tried emailing them, but they did not respond. The reservation is for next April.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I had the same issue. I phoned my Credit Card company, and they made it possible to use my card

Thanks Biarritzdon. I'm on the actual website for the albergue, and was about to book when I dithered about whether to get food there or not. I looked on booking.com then and the Posada is the only one on that site that is in Roncesvalles. The others are beyond it, so don't want to book any of them as I'm sure I won't want to walk any more. I think maybe I'm over thinking it, which is not unusual for me lol. At the moment I'm leaning towards just booking the albergue with dinner there and getting breakfast en route as suggested. I guess it will be cool to have the first big albergue experience with a communal meal on my first proper day with knackered legs. I appreciate your help.
I think you are right to just go for dinner. Breakfast was nothing special...

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
As far as booking ahead, I've already booked the Roncesvalles Albergue for March 2021 !!

As far as meals, I prefer La Posada, though Casa Sabina was fine.
I would skip booking breakfast as there are a lot of nice places up the road next morning.
Hello Annie,
I filled in the booking form on the Roncevalles Albergue (Monastery) a few weeks ago for accommodation and dinner but I got no confirmation so I assumed booking ahead was not allowed. I'm going in April 2020. Can I ask did you get an email confirming your booking and did you do it through their own site?

I filled in the booking form on the Roncevalles Albergue (Monastery) a few weeks ago for accommodation and dinner but I got no confirmation so I assumed booking ahead was not allowed.
@Washie, it sounds as if you did not complete the booking on their website: you fill in your details and your date of stay and press send; you then see a webpage with a summary of your booking request and you must press send again; you then see a webpage where you can enter your credit card details. Did you do all this? They accept bookings for their whole "season" which lasts from 8 March 2020 until 6 November 2020 this year.

Thank you Kathar1na, You are correct, I had not fully made the booking as I had not pressed send the second time. I have done so now. Can't wait!

Hello Annie,
I filled in the booking form on the Roncevalles Albergue (Monastery) a few weeks ago for accommodation and dinner but I got no confirmation so I assumed booking ahead was not allowed. I'm going in April 2020. Can I ask did you get an email confirming your booking and did you do it through their own site?

Yes. I did it online and got confirmation. You might email and ask.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I totally agree with everything. I would add that making a reservation is a must. They turn people away on most days and there are no alternatives. I’d also say thank goodness that albergues the rest of way are not like this quite impersonal one. And yes, breakfast was a disappointment. There is a nice family owned small store with good items about 30 min down the line.

Last edited:
Mentioned above by Zordmot that "place about 30 min down the line" is Burguete .
Here is only one church, next to it is a small plaza and at the back of the plaza a GREAT cafe/bar which is open early every morning and very pilgrim friendly. Within their complex is the local fronton court. I have always stopped here on my way down from Roncesvalles. If is still dark as you leave Roncesvalles be sure to wear or carry your head torch.

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

Hi Caminantes, My wife and I are leaving for Madrid from Brisbane - AU on May 4th to walk the Frances. We are flying with Qatar. I am a bit worried that if I check in my backpacks, they have a...
Hi all, Im walking my first Camino in April (CF) and was wondering if it would be likely for me to encounter leeches? I know for most people leeches are not a big deal but they are in plague...
In past years, when we walked from Samos to Sarria, there was simply a yellow arrow that went off to the right of the highway, up a hill, past a pig farm then a sharp left turn at a small church...
Are you also interested to know the reasons why other fellow pilgrims choose to walk El Camino? Please participate in the poll!
Several local websites have reported a small earthquake this afternoon with an epicentre in the Sarria area. Apparently felt quite strongly locally but with little likelihood of property damage...
Hello!! I am a retired Spanish gentleman living in Madrid. My name is Jose and I would like to do the Camino de Santiago again!!! But this time I would like to walk and improve my English Level...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back