• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Rubber galoshes for walking in the mud on the Camino

zoea

Time of past OR future Camino
May 2013
Has anyone used Commerical/industrial rubber "overshoes" or galoshes for walking in the rain and mud on the Camino?

Guides that will let you complete the journey your way.
I have not seen anyone with these. My first thought would be to have to carry these with you when not in use. My shoes get filled with mud and water a few days in the summer. They normally dry out and clean off soon enough. For me, few hours of "squishy" is much better than 30+ days of carrying extra weight.

On the Camino now and while there are areas of mud, nothing of consequence. Are we very lucky so far? Loving the Reparados albergue in Puente.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Must admit that I haven't seen anyone with galoshes yet. Althought I had much luck with rain (no-rain actually) I got into real muuuuuuuud in 2009. Just after Puente de la Reina there's a very steep climb and in 2009 I was walking there right after the major thunderstorm. Clogs of mud, thick as 5cm, were made on the downside of my shoes, but in 2011 I was walking the same uphill (also after the rain) and was surprised that the municipality re-made that part with light gravel/sand. No problemos. But still you can get into some mud on the way, but that also depends on the time of your walk and local weather.

When are you planing to walk?

Buen Camino

Oh, yeah, I forgot - maybe the gaiters are the best answer to your prayers. Not only for the mud, but also in rain or morning dew, althought I can't remember the path on Camino that went through the grass...

I carried a ultra-lite set of gaiters that I used a couple of times. Very glad I had them and worth the weight. My boots were water proof. However, I walked in Sept/Oct and its wasn't very hot, so, WP boots were do-able. It I walked in the heat of summer, I would have not had WP boots.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I carried a ultra-lite set of gaiters that I used a couple of times. Very glad I had them and worth the weight. My boots were water proof. However, I walked in Sept/Oct and its wasn't very hot, so, WP boots were do-able. It I walked in the heat of summer, I would have not had WP boots.

Would you mind posting a link to your ultralite gators? I also plan to walk in non waterproof light hikers and am very interested in gators if need be! Thanks

Walking through the mud is half the fun of doing the camino...

But seriously if you are using Gore Tex boots you will fine. Most decent boots will allow you to walk through a few inches of water and mud without getting your feet wet. I use Vasque boots and walked through open water, mud and even snow this past spring while doing the Via de la Plata.

Personally, I would wear shorts (you simply wash all mud and water splashes off your legs when you shower) or wear rain pants if it is cold and really raining hard (again easier to clean up).

Gators are okay but only make sense if you plan to walk in the rainy season like April or November. I used them when I used to "back country hike" in the wilds of Ontario's forests but we soon discovered walking through the water and mud with your boots was just plain easier.

Nothing like stomping into an albergue with mud and cow crap stuck to your boots - mark of a true pilgrim.

Last edited:
Galoshes could be great idea. They could be added to a pied, bicyclette & cheval as a means of traversing the Camino. I don't recall enough mud anywhere on the Camino, apart from the descent from Alto de Perdon and the cattle trails of Galicia that merited more than the boots I wore. And in Galicia it wasn't mud that was the problem.
I have always assumed that the sandal wearers washed their feet appropriately.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I love my rain trousers with "in-build" gaiters - no name brand, but perhaps you can find something similar? SY

I walked the very cold and rainy CF this past May-June. Galoshes would be just one more thing to carry, no thanks. I wore Merrell Moab Ventilator mid high boots and convertible tech material pants. The boots dried overnight (stuffed with newspapers, changed before finally turning in for the night). My pant bottoms covered the tops of the boots, so mud and rain did not splash into them. I did not need gaiters. The bottoms of the pants could be zipped off and washed at the end of the day and dried super quick because they were tech fabric. I had rain pants and sent them home the first chance I got - never needed to use them. And, again, the Camino was very wet, cold and muddy. Do everything you can to save weight. As one Camino veteran told me, people tend to carry what they fear. If you fear being wet and muddy, you'll carry gaiters, rain pants, galoshes, etc.
Kathy
PS - And I used a rain jacket which covered down to my hips, not a poncho. I can't imagine using a poncho on my Camino.

Does anyone have a web site that has very light gaitors they can share. Want to take a look at them anyhow. Thx!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I walked the very cold and rainy CF this past May-June.
PS - And I used a rain jacket which covered down to my hips, not a poncho. I can't imagine using a poncho on my Camino.
Can you explain why not? I rather like them cos they cover everything in one go... and can use them to sit/ lie/picnic on when resting :)

Footek has not been on the forum for some time, so here is my take on ponchos.
The advantage of the poncho is that it covers everything, as you say, and unless very wet or wet and windy rain pants are not always needed. We do carry a lightweight pair each but the poncho is long enough to protect much of the time. The jacket would need an extra cover for the pack (although ours are inbuilt) and good rain trousers. Also the pack straps can rub water through the fabric.
I also have used my poncho to sleep in when the bed itself, in one hostal, felt very damp.

I don't think rubber boots or overshoes would be worth carrying on the Camino and never saw anyone wearing them. Especially since it may not even rain on you and I never ran across any mud so deep that I would need rubber boots to get through.
Advantage of the lighter trail running type shoes is that if they get muddy and wet, easy enough to wash off at the end of the day and they dry way quicker than a traditional leather boot.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I admit I didn't read everyone else's comments....but I can't imagine carrying extra for the mud. It rained all day, every day of my 10 day camino (except 1....). I sloshed through more than my fair share of mud. I found my hiking shoes were good enough. My feet got wet a few times (not totally waterproof shoes - the tops had vents) - but I just changed my socks and moved on. I never ended up more than ankle deep with some creative path making.

As for a poncho - my friend wore one - I just wore a water resistant jacket. She definitely stayed drier than I did - but I didn't find the difference so much that I felt the need to buy a poncho.

+1 on trail runners. They dry very quickly, especially the ones WITHOUT Gore-tex. I doubt there is a need to ford any streams on the Camino, but when I needed to do so on other trails, I could take out my shoe liners, cross the river, shake out the shoes, put in the liners (and put on my socks), and still have relatively dry feet when hiking on. If it is consistently raining/wet, but no deep water, the Gore-tex versions may work better in keeping your feet dry, but will need a bit more help drying out overnight.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Another option for stream crossing is to just take your shoes/boots/socks off and wear your sandals that you carry for after walking or showering. Then dry your feet off on the far side and put your dry socks and shoes/boots back on and continue onward. gets a bit brisk in mountain streams that are fed by melting snow, but your feet warm back up quickly once you get going again.

Not a good solution for rainy days or extensively muddy trails, though.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Our solution, after bypassing a knee deep muddy section one year, would now be to remove our boots and socks (apart from the thin liners) and the zip off section of our trousers. Then walk through in our Crocs. Change liner socks and replace all the rest and then continue. Crocs are OK to walk in for a time and we have them for afternoon walking round town/shower/indoor use etc.

Yeesh, that looks miserable to walk in. Looks like it would suck galoshes right off of your shoes/boots.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Mike I gave your post a like, but not liking the photo...in airport waiting for my Madrid flight now. Not sure if sandals or trail runners would be best for that!

Mike I gave your post a like, but not liking the photo...in airport waiting for my Madrid flight now. Not sure if sandals or trail runners would be best for that!
Let's hope the weather gets better Richard. I will be starting in SJPP in less than 4 weeks.

Buen Camino,

Mike

Last edited:
Looking at that picture some more, that MUST just be a low point where water is collecting.

1. He's not that muddy, and more importantly,

2. He is smiling way too much.

If you need to post hole through much of that, you are going to have a grimace on your face, not that big of a smile!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I walked the very cold and rainy CF this past May-June. Galoshes would be just one more thing to carry, no thanks. I wore Merrell Moab Ventilator mid high boots and convertible tech material pants. The boots dried overnight (stuffed with newspapers, changed before finally turning in for the night). My pant bottoms covered the tops of the boots, so mud and rain did not splash into them. I did not need gaiters. The bottoms of the pants could be zipped off and washed at the end of the day and dried super quick because they were tech fabric. I had rain pants and sent them home the first chance I got - never needed to use them. And, again, the Camino was very wet, cold and muddy. Do everything you can to save weight. As one Camino veteran told me, people tend to carry what they fear. If you fear being wet and muddy, you'll carry gaiters, rain pants, galoshes, etc.
Kathy
My poncho goes to my ankles and keeps me warm and dry. I love it.

€83,-
I'm thinking "slipping and sliding" when I imagine wearing rubber boots in mud - think I would not only have mud all over boots and pants, but also all over my bum and back as I slip into a mud bath! Not sure what commercial grade rubber boots look like but not sure they would have the grip, traction (unless crampons attached), comfort or flexibility of my gortex mid hiking boots.
I am reminded of a time when I got stuck in the mud after kayaking Mid-Coast Maine during a low tide and had to walk kayak back to shore. No fun, as the mud (I know its the bay/ocean, but it is black and looks like mud) sucks you in and very difficult to take steps, and almost lost my water shoes. I am thinking a giant pair of neoprene socks put on over hiking boots might do the trick :)
Janice

On the Camino now and while there are areas of mud, nothing of consequence. Are we very lucky so far? Loving the Reparados albergue in Puente.
I completed my Camino from Burgos to Santiago on April 20. There was a lot of mud after Ponferrada. We walked the roads sometimes to avoid the mud. Some places were flooded. People with various shoe types and gear all had wet feet. Makes for great stories over a beer and I loved my Camino.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

Zubiri was full early yesterday (by 2:30, according to some pilgrims who came to Pamplona today), but Zubiri opened up a municipal building just past the town for some pilgrims to sleep on the...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
My friend is trying to figure out bookings/lodging. She started in SJPDP Friday, ended up walking the Winter route to Roncesvalles in one day, only to find no bed so bused back to SJPDP to sleep...
Hello everyone, This is a cry for help. I post this on behalf of my wife, who is walking the camino at the moment. Her backpack was taken away from the reception of the albergue Benedictina's...
Within the past few hours there have been two stories on local news media reporting that the Guardia Civil have been successful in returning lost passports to pilgrims. One in Najera, the other in...
The group running the albergue in the ruins of the San Anton monastery near Castrojeriz have announced that the albergue and the ruins will be closed from 1 May until the ruins have been made...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back