• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Running in Santiago - a question

NualaOC

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
A few and hopefully lots more.
A little question for forum members who do a bit of running and/or know about potential running routes around Santiago ………. so if you’re someone for whom running is an evil word, look away now!

My husband is heading off next week to walk part of the Camino Portugués. I’ll join him for the last four days of his walk and for a couple of nights in Santiago. I’m really looking forward to walking again, but as I’m training for an October marathon, I also need/want to clock up some running miles.

My tentative plan is to run one of the etapas – probably Caldas de Reis to Padrón. That should be straightforward enough, especially as I can finish with a shower and a swim at the municipal pool!

I’ll also need to do a long run while in Santiago – about 35kms or thereabouts, preferably without too many steep ups and downs. I’ve been toying with different ideas, but I quite fancy taking an early bus out of the city and running back to Santiago on the Camino Francés. It would be a run down memory lane and I’d enjoy chatting with people along the way (I take a pretty leisurely approach to my long runs). There’s also very little chance of getting lost, which is an added bonus.

The 7am bus to from S de C to Lugo stops in a few suitable places, so it feels like a perfect plan. I suppose my question is – does this sound half-way sensible, or is it completely bonkers? Is there another option that might work better? Have any of you done something like this?

Thanks in anticipation! Nuala

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Never, of course, but I have an opinion, anyway.:oops:;)
It sounds like a good plan, though there may be 'peregrino traffic jams'
I'd be more tempted to run the Ingles, from Meson do Vento. It's well marked, not too hilly, and not crowded. And about 35 km. I looked at Rome2Rio and there several buses a day.
Buen camino and happy running!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Never, of course, but I have an opinion, anyway.:oops:;)
It sounds like a good plan, though there may be 'peregrino traffic jams'
I'd be more tempted to run the Ingles, from Meson do Vento. It's well marked, not too hilly, and not crowded. And about 35 km. I looked at Rome2Rio and there several buses a day.
Buen camino and happy running!

Thanks so much, @VNwalking, I wondered about the potential traffic jams. The Inglés could be a very good way of avoiding those problems. It also feels quite serendipitous as I'd be running that stage almost three years to the day since walking it in September 2015.

The earliest bus seems to leave Santiago at 9am, which is a bit later than I'd like, but not disastrously so. Definitely an option for the list!

You could also take a bus out to, or back from, Negreira, 21k down the Camino Finisterre, which is lovely. Lots of buses. If you want to extend the run, you could just run beyond Negreira and then loop back to it. (This is exactly the kind of thing my wife, also perpetually in training, would do — after walking a full day. Persoanlly, I’m at the bar).

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
You could also take a bus out to, or back from, Negreira, 21k down the Camino Finisterre, which is lovely. Lots of buses. If you want to extend the run, you could just run beyond Negreira and then loop back to it. (This is exactly the kind of thing my wife, also perpetually in training, would do — after walking a full day. Persoanlly, I’m at the bar).

Thanks @andycohn, I remember really enjoying the walk to Negreira a few years ago. From what I recall, running back to Santiago would probably be easier than running to Negreira - I vaguely remember a hill at one point. I could potentially combine that with one of the suggested routes from the tourist office that @falcon269 mentioned above.

I'm very impressed that your wife can run after a full day of walking. I've never felt the urge to do that!

I don't know the Portugues approach to SdC but Sanabres and especially Ingles seem the nicest to me elevation-wise.

Maybe @timr as a marathon runner could chime in on this?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Not a runner, but I would suggest to run to Caldas de Reis and take the inside mineral swiming pool in Balneario Acuna with massage streams in the water. It costs around 17 euros and it was one of the biggest highlights of my trip releasing the tension from hurting shoulders, legs and tense muscles :)

I don't know the Portugues approach to SdC but Sanabres and especially Ingles seem the nicest to me elevation-wise.

Maybe @timr as a marathon runner could chime in on this?

Thanks @KinkyOne. Running back to Santiago on the Sanabres is appealing, but the approach to and exit from Ponte Ulla is probably well outside my running comfort zone! The elevation map on Gronze looks a bit scary.

All the suggestions are really helping me to figure things out in my head. I seem to have a strong preference for taking transport from Santiago and running back on a route I've walked before. That's probably taking the lazy/safe option, but it allows me to just decide on the day, rather planning it out. If it ends up being too short, I can run around the city and the parks.

And yes, hopefully @timr will chime in!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Thanks @KinkyOne. Running back to Santiago on the Sanabres is appealing, but the approach to and exit from Ponte Ulla is probably well outside my running comfort zone! The elevation map on Gronze looks a bit scary.

All the suggestions are really helping me to figure things out in my head. I seem to have a strong preference for taking transport from Santiago and running back on a route I've walked before. That's probably taking the lazy/safe option, but it allows me to just decide on the day, rather planning it out. If it ends up being too short, I can run around the city and the parks.

And yes, hopefully @timr will chime in!
You don't have to run the steep climb down or up Puente Ulla before the village if you are approaching in direction of SdC. You can run from SdC to A Susana or even to Puente Ulla and back. Also you don't have to go up to albergue in Outeiro but stay on the road till A Susana from PUente Ulla. But overall Ingles is maybe nicer ;)

I thought Rome2Rio listed a 06:30 bus. Or maybe I was hallucinating? Whatever you do it will be a different kind of long run. :cool:

Thanks @VNwalking. As always, your attention to detail is so much better than mine! I just checked the Monbus site again and you're right, there's a 6.30am bus on weekdays. I could get back to S de C in time for brunch with Damian :)

You don't have to run the steep climb down or up Puente Ulla before the village if you are approaching in direction of SdC. You can run from SdC to A Susana or even to Puente Ulla and back. Also you don't have to go up to albergue in Outeiro but stay on the road till A Susana from PUente Ulla. But overall Ingles is maybe nicer ;)

Thanks again @KinkyOne, that's really helpful.

Not a runner, but I would suggest to run to Caldas de Reis and take the inside mineral swiming pool in Balneario Acuna with massage streams in the water. It costs around 17 euros and it was one of the biggest highlights of my trip releasing the tension from hurting shoulders, legs and tense muscles :)

Ooh, that looks really nice - thanks so much for the heads-up! I might switch things around and run to Caldas de Reis, rather than Padrón. Did you stay in that hotel, or just just use the spa?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Thanks @andycohn, I remember really enjoying the walk to Negreira a few years ago. From what I recall, running back to Santiago would probably be easier than running to Negreira - I vaguely remember a hill at one point. I could potentially combine that with one of the suggested routes from the tourist office that @falcon269 mentioned above.

I'm very impressed that your wife can run after a full day of walking. I've never felt the urge to do that!
I’m exaggerating a bit. She’s done it a few times, but only after a short day’s walking and never for a long run. Still . . . Beats me by a long shot.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Ooh, that looks really nice - thanks so much for the heads-up! I might switch things around and run to Caldas de Reis, rather than Padrón. Did you stay in that hotel, or just just use the spa?
In Caldas de Reis I stayed in Albergue Agarimo (could recommend this one for staying as well) and went to Balneario Acuna just for this swimming pool, they offer some other spa stuff but I was a budget piligrimo. This Balneario Acuna also has a hotel as far as I know but it seemed a bit too fancy for me :)

Don’t know how I missed your thread, Nuala. I am the furthest thing from a runner, but it is fun to read all these suggestions. You know, Johnnie Walker once put together a route through Santiago. It went on bits and pieces of all the caminos coming into town. I can’t find it, but will do some more searching if that might be of interest. It was called something like the Route of the Routes, but as search terms that is not very helpful. Looking forward to hearing about it, and about the marathon of course!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
In Caldas de Reis I stayed in Albergue Agarimo (could recommend this one for staying as well) and went to Balneario Acuna just for this swimming pool, they offer some other spa stuff but I was a budget piligrimo. This Balneario Acuna also has a hotel as far as I know but it seemed a bit too fancy for me :)

Thanks @vitalija, it looked a bit fancy for me too! Great to know that I can just use the pool - it sounds perfect.

Don’t know how I missed your thread, Nuala. I am the furthest thing from a runner, but it is fun to read all these suggestions. You know, Johnnie Walker once put together a route through Santiago. It went on bits and pieces of all the caminos coming into town. I can’t find it, but will do some more searching if that might be of interest. It was called something like the Route of the Routes, but as search terms that is not very helpful. Looking forward to hearing about it, and about the marathon of course!

Hi Laurie, thanks for reminding me about that document. I downloaded it ages ago and then forgot all about it! I'm not sure if I'll run that route, but it would definitely be a great walk.

My current shortlist now has the final 35ish kms of the Francés or Inglés as top contenders, with Sigüeiro (Inglés) to Negreira (Fisterra) as the wildcard option. Should be fun!

Here's that route of routes document:

Attachments

• Route-of-Routes-Final-Master-June2012.pdf
    984.6 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

I'm sure this info has already been shared, but here's an update: the Tuna are still working their magic under the arches in the Praza Obradoiro (facing the catehdral) in the evenings. I was there...
I just completed the Camino Fracis. I got to the pilgrim office in time to get my compesela, and had a very positive experience there. I dedicated my camino to a close cousin who recently passed...
Mods: please move this thread to wherever it belongs and/or give me links to threads about this. Thanks! I will be in Santiago on Apr. 28-30. Usually I have stayed at zthe Last Stamp, but they...
I plan on arriving in SDC on July 23, and stay a day or two. How feasible is it that I will be able to get a seat for the 10:00 Mass on the Feast Day, the 25th? Am I better off attending a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.