• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Ryanair and cabin bags?

KiwiJohn

Time of past OR future Camino
August 26th 2023
I would appreciate any advice regarding carrying my Osprey Stratos 36 with me as cabin baggage.
Do Ryanair strictly enforce their rules?

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I have a 30l pack and always take it onboard as the " free small bag " I haven't ever payed so the bag squashes in under the seat unless you have been allocated the aisle seat which is a smaller space, if you have payed for your bag that should be okay as it will go in the overhead storage. I think they are more concerned with hard suitcases that don't fit the size requirement

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I've travelled many times with that backpack on Ryanair, EasyJet and similar low-cost carriers. It's been mostly fine but I've also been stopped a couple of times at check-in / security. The bag is "officially" a bit too large to count as hand-luggage so make sure to minimize the look of it - don't stuff anything in the top compartment and keep the look sleek and flat by tightening the straps. Wear bulky jackets / jumpers until you are through security.

Ryanair used to be quite brutal about it, they would patrol the boarding queues with a cardboard box and if your carry on didn't fit, they'd send you off to the check in desk. Nowadays, they are a bit more relaxed. Now that everyone has got the message that you can't lug a suitcase into the cabin there's no point in badgering their customers. The secret is in their business model, which depends on a fast turn-over. Checked in luggage slows down the amount of time they need between landing and take-off. Therefore their staff are discouraged from checking in too much hold luggage because it works out cheaper for budget airlines to let a few slightly oversize bags into the cabin, hence the leniency.

I would appreciate any advice regarding carrying my Osprey Stratos 36 with me as cabin baggage.
Flew Santiago to London 3 weeks ago to London with my Osprey 36L. I think it depends on the route and the ticket you get. Our 36L's were definitely not included in our 'cabin baggage' so we ended up buying checked luggage in advance. From what I can tell, with longer routes, there might be more cabin allowance, but not so for our 1hr 45m flight. Also, do everything in advance with Ryan Air or you pay more again at the airport. Buen Camino.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi KiwiJohn
Take care if you have hiking poles - it's a bit inconsistent, but mostly they have to be checked into the hold.
Buen Camino

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Yes they do (as of last year anyway) charge for carryons and for handbags but if you pay for them when you buy your ticket you don’t get charged the exorbitant fee at the airport.

Yes they do (as of last year anyway) charge for carryons and for handbags but if you pay for them when you buy your ticket you don’t get charged the exorbitant fee at the airport.
It varies in my experience. They do enforce rules more at their hub airports, but at outstations it does seem to hugely vary. I can’t remember the numbers but it is something like €20 in advance and €50-60 at airport so that’s the gamble I guess.

It varies in my experience. They do enforce rules more at their hub airports, but at outstations it does seem to hugely vary. I can’t remember the numbers but it is something like €20 in advance and €50-60 at airport so that’s the gamble I guess.
It may also depend on how busy each individual flight is.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
It may also depend on how busy each individual flight is.
Yes indeed. It will be a judgement call between the dispatcher and the senior check in staff. Of primary concern will be an on time departure. Ryanair mainly operate 737 and the likely turnaround time is probably about 30 mins (chocks on versus clocks off) so that is the key metric!

Not sure which RyanAir all you lucky folks are taking, but I’ve seen the staff strongly enforcing baggage rules on all of my flights (up through my latest ones this past May 2023.

I think some of the varied replies come from confusing a personal bag (fits under the seat) versus a carry-on bag (overhead storage). Additionally, there are weight limits for all the baggage you are bringing into the cabin that also must be followed. Some tickets ONLY allow you the small personal bag - there is no way your 36L will qualify as that (unless it’s completely empty!). Fully packed, it may not even fit the sizer as a carry-on! The cost of having to pay for the upgrade from personal bag to carry-on size is generally over 50€ at check-in, so not worth the risk.

All of the discount airlines depend on baggage fees to supplement the low flight fares. They certainly are not in the business of turning a blind eye towards customers ignoring sizing requirements that are a guaranteed revenue source.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I have an Osprey Althos 50L backpack and have had no problems with taking it onboard on several RyanAir flights. I don't know if they changed their rules recently, but 36L size should be OK. My backpack fits in the overhead space.

Measure your backpack and compare its size against the maximum allowed by RyanAir.
Unlike luggages it is hard to measure a backpack because the back is bent and the shape is round and somewhat flexible.

I have taken my 40L Berghaus backpack as carry on (stored overhead) on Ryanair several times and never had a problem. Any spot checks I’ve witnessed were suitcases!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I flew with this pack a few weeks ago out of Santiago on Ryanair. I purchased the cabin baggage option (also came with seat selection and priority boarding) as the pack would definitely not fit under the seat and I wasn't sure how closely the flight attendants would monitor the overhead bins.

It wasn't a whole lot more expensive as I bought the ticket a few months in advance and was definitely worth the stress free boarding.

Most read last week in this forum

I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
Warning for those flying in to France -- there's a strike tomorrow April 25th, which likely will NOT prevent flying in or out of the country on international flights, but is very likely to affect...
I am flying to Santiago via Dublin and have about a 10 hour layover. I arrive 0830 and my flight on Ryanair is not till 1930. Any suggestions on how I can spend my time? Is it practical to go...
A friend due to walk from Sarria to SdC next month is now injured still wants to go along with group walking. Any advice on transport options for him to go from Stage to Stage. All options...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back