• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Safety Pins

M

MendiWalker

A fellow member of the forum in another thread requested a thread regarding "safety pins"

I carry safety pins ( about 2 dozen) as well as a very thin nylon cord which I use many a time as a clothes line. They don´t occupy much space and are light in weight. My safety pins have come in handy many a time specially after doing the laundry at the albergue.
Do you carry safety pins? ;)

Buen Camino!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Yes, and I prefer them to clothes pegs as they work even when it is very windy, SY

A selection of Camino Jewellery
That's a great idea. I usually carry a few lightweight plastic clothespins but I can see why safety pins would be a little more secure. Will have to go that way next time out.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Based on the tips I've read in this forum, I'll be carrying safety pins and nylon line as a clothes line. Also, based on my experience of having safety pins rust, I'm using pins made of brass.

I too brought a few safety pins – and so glad I did (from advice in this forum).

But I found quite another use for them – namely in keeping up my pants where they ought to be (big smiley here).

I had a few potentially embarassing moments when I kind of felt my pants dropping down – had to hold on to them with both hands in order not to become too indecent (must have lost quite some padding about my waist along the way). I then happily remembered that I had packed a few safety pins – a solution. So I used them at both sides of the waist band of my trousers to reduce the circumference – had to make several adjustments along the way. Had I not had them, I might have needed to walk with both hands holding my pants up!

Another benefit of going on the Camino! - and taking safety pins ...

annelise

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Though the young, male, pilgrim in the Cathedral at Santiago for Sunday Mass did cause some consternation with his boxer shorts, colourful, battered but clean, pinned to the back of his pack
Life's strange, isn't it. When not being worn, underwear is just another bit of material. I have been watching the thread on men in their underwear, and musing that, almost invariably, underwear that I saw on both men and women in albergues was less revealing than many of the swimsuits one might see on a family oriented beach here in Australia.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Based on the tips I've read in this forum, I'll be carrying safety pins and nylon line as a clothes line. Also, based on my experience of having safety pins rust, I'm using pins made of brass.

The safety pins which rust are usually the ones from asian shops (cheap imports) hence cheap quality. The ones I carry in my backpack have been with me for some years, not one has rusted.

Buen Camino!

I love this thread!! It never would have occurred to me to bring safety pins!! What a great idea!

Last edited:
Diaper pins are the best. Since they need an extra effort to open, they are useful for a little extra security. For example, closing pockets, attaching a hidden fabric wallet inside the waistband of pants, attaching the zipper tabs on a backpack. Then they can also be used for dangling things from a backpack, hanging clothes, mending, etc.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Diaper pins are the best. Since they need an extra effort to open, they are useful for a little extra security. For example, closing pockets, attaching a hidden fabric wallet inside the waistband of pants, attaching the zipper tabs on a backpack. Then they can also be used for dangling things from a backpack, hanging clothes, mending, etc.

I totally agree safety pins are useful in many occasions not only for hanging clothes to dry. I remember while on a trek 3 years ago in Turkey while hiking up Mt. Ararat I noticed that one of the buckles which closed my backpack had disappeared. I used a safety pin to keep it closed.

If anyone has used them in any other way please feel free to contribute your info.:)

Buen Camino!

I totally agree safety pins are useful in many occasions not only for hanging clothes to dry. I remember while on a trek 3 years ago in Turkey while hiking up Mt. Ararat I noticed that one of the buckles which closed my backpack had disappeared. I used a safety pin to keep it closed.

If anyone has used them in any other way please feel free to contribute your info.:)

Buen Camino!

That was an interesting post Mendiwalker. :)
I was actually wondering about the large (in my view) number of safety pins you are carrying.
With two dozen, you can hang 24 socks. That's many socks, I thought.
But now I realise you use them for other purposes, too.
Myself I think eight safety pins is the ideal number.
Am curious to hear how many safety pins other pilgrims carry.

My original choice was nappy (diaper) pins but I decided they were too heavy and, for the past few years, have used ordinary safety pins. If I wash everything I'm wearing, I only need eight safety pins so that's how many I take. They are also useful for attaching damp clothes to your pack.

The pins are kept on the outside of my pack for ease of access. On my first Camino, even though I didn't see the animals, I thought it was wonderful that I was accompanied every day by the sound of cowbells. It finally dawned on me that it was the safety pins hitting my shell :)

I don't bother taking a line and have never had a problem finding somewhere to dry my clothes.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
That was an interesting post Mendiwalker. :)
I was actually wondering about the large (in my view) number of safety pins you are carrying.
With two dozen, you can hang 24 socks. That's many socks, I thought.
But now I realise you use them for other purposes, too.
Myself I think eight safety pins is the ideal number.
Am curious to hear how many safety pins other pilgrims carry.

I travel with my wife, so it´s 12 safety pins each.;)

Buen Camino!

Nappy pins every time. They close more securely so whatever the wind they don't come open. I daisy chain mine so they don't tangle up and pin the end one to my shirt while hanging the washing. It makes everything more convenient.

...yep to all of the above and as well hanging washed socks out to dry on your pack you can do the same thing with your 'change around socks'-I have two pairs of socks on the go every day and swap them around whenever I give my feet an airing which is about every 2 hours or so. I use regular good quality ones not nappy pins.
As for other uses:-
Bra hooks gone they provided discrete emergency roadside repair.

To replace the 'pully up' bit of a zip on trousers when it breaks.

Hooking out the fiddly spring bit of one of those poles with suspension for a frustrated pilgrim so they could repair it.

Winkling out a periwinkle (Finisterra)

Alternative to 'push pin' device

Use one to keep all your other loose pins safely together.

Basic security- pin the zips of outer pockets of pack to deter (a little) opportunistic theft.

Though not speaking from personal experience they could be a handy, and surprisingly stylish, replacement if any of ones body piercing studs/bars/rings etc dropped out or were lost on route............;).

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I used them for washing and also to prick myself constantly to say to myself. Wow am I alive? Is this Camino for real as I am having the time of my life!
Also great for pinning my wallet inside my sleeping bag.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Although I suggested this topic, I refuse to comment because I am afraid that it will take the spotlight off the electric coil.

Because you know safety pins are far more important than an electric coil.:rolleyes:

Please do, you´re one of the fountains of wisdom in this forum.

Buen Camino!

I do carry safety pins, mainly for two reasons: one is to do the laundry.

They are very lightweight, and I can use them to fix socks and other pieces of clothes in my backpack when I'm walking.

The second thing is that after burned a little bit, I take care of my blisters with them (so I don't need to carry a needle).

Best Regards
Diogo

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
A safety pin is a great short term button. Also, when the pants waist becomes a bit too large, pins can tuck the extra material so that it does not all bunch in one spot.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
You dont sound dumb,at all !!.......the electrical coil is the wonder of the age as far as technology is concerned,you put it into a cup,connect to a power point,turn it on , hey presto, minutes later ,hot water & very happy pilgrims........truly wonderous.........:)......Vicrev

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
What´s an electric coil???? Answer - An overgrown safety pin with a plug on the end .;)

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-6HikZAfhHdY/TZV3CMSVXqI/AAAAAAAAHKg/LrReAbcyREc/s400/Imersion+Heater.jpg

Buen Camino!

Actually I believe the Electric coil was here first. :)

Ever tried to keep your pants up with an electric coil?;)

Buen Camino!

Actually I'm sure it can be used as a belt, if one wants. :p
Ever tried tried to cook coffee with a safety pin?

Why make coffee when it´s so easy to just order a cup in a coffee shop and a nice piece of Torta de Santiago to go along with it?;)

Buen Camino!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
A safety pin is a great short term button. Also, when the pants waist becomes a bit too large, pins can tuck the extra material so that it does not all bunch in one spot.

I hate to sound like a school teacher here, but the reason your pants gets too large, is because you don't have an electric coil. You see, with an electric coil, you can cook! :)

And I imaging you must use an awful lot of energy carrying that 8 kilo heavy espresso machine along the camino...:rolleyes:

OK, safety pins are fine for all kinds of repairs etc, and for hanging stuff from your pack. But, for easy clothes drying, carry one of those travel washing lines, the kind with 2 shockcords twisted together. Then you don't need pegs or pins to secure your socks/whatever. With extension lengths of thin string, you can stretch the line across a hostal room, a couple of trees, or beside your bunk, to give a bit of privacy, as well as drying stuff.:)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

Hello beautiful community; I’m starting my camino in exactly 7 days (May 8 - June 21 = 45 days) I’ll be doing FRANCES + SALVADOR + PRIMITIVO . Here’s my final packing list (excluding basic...
Hello, I'll be starting the Camino soon and my best option is to buy shoes in either Pamplona or SJPP. I will be leaving Pamplona on a Sunday at noon and arriving at SJPP around 2pm. My question...
I am new on the forum, though I have followed it for years in anticipation of walking. Twice planned, twice cancelled. Once again, I have bought tickets and my daughter and I hope to walk del...
Hello all. I am planning my first camino end of May. fly into Porto and head north. I plan on staying in Albergos and had a few questions. Should I being my own towel? How far in advance do I...
Has anyone used the phone service "Holafly" during their Camino? Apparently it is a phone plan which eliminates the high cost of roaming charges and international phone plans offered from many...
Hi, I start my Camino from Oviedo on Sunday the 23rd of June. I was hoping to buy some hiking poles from the Decathlon store, but it doesn’t seem to open on a Sunday, nor do the other hiking...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.