• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

shortage of beds?

mike mcbroom

Time of past OR future Camino
Francis June 17, 2015 ,Portagusee from Porto to Santiago August 2016, Francis may 2018 this year wil
My friend and I will start the Camino in July. She has seen, someplace, that there is a shortage of beds in some places. Is this really happening?? The last time we walked the Camino there was no problems with only a couple exceptions.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Yes, but why and whether it only affects specific places or will ease by July isn't really something that could be forecast easily.

Nb there are already a couple of threads on this topic. Someone might be able to point to them more readily than I can right now

I guess one would have to somehow define what is a shortage of beds? Is it a shortage of beds or an increase of pilgrims?
Obviously the amount of pilgrims on the CF on any given day, any given hour and any given location is a very fluid thing. No way to predict it, and no way to categorize it. Taken into consideration that new albergues seem to be popping up with regularity all along the CF, the amount of available beds changes, too.
Not sure how any type of publication or website/forum could come up with a statistic saying there is a bed shortage as both pilgrims and available beds on the Camino are not a finite thing.
Not saying that you are, but I wouldn't sweat it.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I guess one would have to somehow define what is a shortage of beds? Is it a shortage of beds or an increase of pilgrims?
Obviously the amount of pilgrims on the CF on any given day, any given hour and any given location is a very fluid thing. No way to predict it, and no way to categorize it. Taken into consideration that new albergues seem to be popping up with regularity all along the CF, the amount of available beds changes, too.
Not sure how any type of publication or website/forum could come up with a statistic saying there is a bed shortage as both pilgrims and available beds on the Camino are not a finite thing.
Not saying that you are, but I wouldn't sweat it.
One could say demand for albergue beds is exceeding supply, pushing more people into more expensive market segments. In some places even these have been booked out.

Tonight in Grañon is the first night I have not had a problem finding a bed since Zubiri, which was completely booked out the night I wanted to stay.

There are various reports of high volumes of Pilgrims on the Caminos this year and consequent pressure on bed spaces. The usual advice applies. Avoid the standard guide-book stages and be astonished by the shortage of Pilgrims not beds.
This has not been my experience recently, with even the intermediate places booked out or completo early in the day.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
There are various reports of high volumes of Pilgrims on the Caminos this year and consequent pressure on bed spaces. The usual advice applies. Avoid the standard guide-book stages and be astonished by the shortage of Pilgrims not beds.
Even many of the smaller places are full at the moment and even if you book ahead they will give your bed away if you don't show up by 3pm. An American lady I walked with had an expensive experience of this recently. No beds in Zubiri. Walked on. No beds in Lorrosoana (sorry about the spelling). Waited 2 hours for taxi to Pamplona - no beds! Four pilgrims had to take two rooms at the Marriott chain in Pamplona that night!!

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Doug, and Gunmut, thanks for this. Relying on posted information on this and other fora has given an impression of over-busy hot-spots, pilgrim-waves moving out of start points and some Albergues left wondering what all the fuss is about. A reminder to me that it is only a very small minority of pilgrims who post live information anywhere on the .net

Doug, and Gunmut, thanks for this. Relying on posted information on this and other fora has given an impression of over-busy hot-spots, pilgrim-waves moving out of start points and some Albergues left wondering what all the fuss is about. A reminder to me that it is only a very small minority of pilgrims who post live information anywhere on the .net
The difficulty as an individual is knowing how far ahead there might be a problem. My wife was shattered when we couldn't find any place in Zubiri, and we have booked from then until yesterday, when she took the bus from Najera to Burgos to get some rest. In that time we have had to set ourselves shorter days than we had anticipated.

Most places hold till 3.00 pm as a standard response, but I have always been able to negotiate a later time just in case. I have also rung to let them know if we were running close to the agreed deadline to hold.

My wife has made a number of observations about the number of pilgrims walking with just a day pack and walking on a booked schedule. It is certainly far more evident than when I last walked, noting that in the past I walked a month earlier than I am now.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Gosh.... now I am really worried... I have booked my flight to Biarritz on 13/7 and going straight to SJPDP - booked overnight accomodation there and in Orisson (but not heard anything yet)... have not booked anything else....! Am wondering maybe I should go with tour operators even at £2900 from Pamplona to SdC! Please advise or delay my trip until August?

The number of Compostelas in May 2016 will easily outnumber the previous Holy Year in 2010. Both last year and the year before had May numbers larger than 2010, and 2016 may exceed the last two years as well. In 2010 the juntas put up temporary shelters to increase the number of beds. That will not happen this year, although a lot of new albergues have opened since 2010. Finding a bed will be more difficult this year; count on it. ;)

The best strategy at the moment is probably to stop by 2 p.m. Of course, when everyone does that, it won't work! :)

A couple of nights ago in Sarria, I stayed at an Albergue and the end of town that was less than a quarter full. It is not a uniform problem. With the good weather now in the forecast, I will not be needing one of my flex/weather days and so called the Hostal I am staying in Santiago and asked if I could arrive a day early. They sounded thrilled to have me extend my stay with them.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Gosh.... now I am really worried... I have booked my flight to Biarritz on 13/7 and going straight to SJPDP - booked overnight accomodation there and in Orisson (but not heard anything yet)... have not booked anything else....! Am wondering maybe I should go with tour operators even at £2900 from Pamplona to SdC! Please advise or delay my trip until August?

Hi @AcrossTheWater3008 - in July or August you may find it worth reserving your accommodation a day or two in advance to ensure peace of mind, but you don't need to go with a tour operator to ensure you find accommodation. It's easy enough to book for yourself, just a couple of days in advance is usually enough, or more if you want. If you have a guidebook like Brierley's which lists accommodation in all the little villages as well as the larger stops, you will be able to make contact and secure a place. Most private albergues take bookings, as well as the small hotels, pensiones etc along the way. A lot of them have their own websites with email addresses or online booking, and lots are also listed on booking.com and similar sites. I did this last year and it worked well. Some might say that reserving ahead removes the "spontaneity" of the journey - I say spontaneity can be overrated!;)

Hi thanks for the responses everyone...

Hey @GettingThere, I think you could be right. I have wanted to walk the Camino for such a long time that this is now the ideal time but I dont want to have rush about looking for beds which, I am sure will spoil the Camino. Yes, I do have Brierly book (arrived yesterday)! Great book!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I'm glad to read your response @GettingThere.
I am walking with my daughter in July and have prebooked quite a few places in advance. What I'll lose in spontaneity, I'll gain back in savoring moments without rushing towards my endpoint each day. It's been extremely easy (and fun) to research and book some special places in advance.

The "bed problem" is basically a "budget" problem. If the latter is not the case, there is little to worry. I prefer to walk without worries but with enough time at the end of the day to clean and wash and dry. One always finds a private room or bed with shared facilities. Some hosts will even pick you up from the Camino and return you to the same spot the next day, and it may not cost an arm and a leg. Team up with some Spanish walkers and you'll discover a totally different approach to the "problem".:cool:

This has not been my experience recently, with even the intermediate places booked out or completo early in the day.
I've started watching the daily arrival stats on the pilgrim's office website, and the typical arrival waves are still occurring. Roughly 350 to 700 Monday thru Thursday and 1000 to 1200 Friday thru Sunday. I'm wondering if you're caught in the crest of a wave or if May marks the commencement of a tsunami that hasn't arrived at SdC yet and you're riding that.

Do you also get the sense that the influx of tours is creating disproportionately high volumes of pilgrims that aren't showing in the Cathedral numbers?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Why are you worried? Because of the quasi-panic silly threads like this cause. Like throwing a snake in the hen house.
Just walk your Camino worry free, otherwise what's the point in walking it? And personally paying someone 2900 pounds to "guide" you on the Camino is ridiculous. Of course that's just my humble opinion and a whole nother rant in itself.

Why are you worried? Because of the quasi-panic silly threads like this cause. Like throwing a snake in the hen house.
Just walk your Camino worry free, otherwise what's the point in walking it? And personally paying someone 2900 pounds to "guide" you on the Camino is ridiculous. Of course that's just my humble opinion and a whole nother rant in itself.
Or buy a sleeping mat along the way and problem solved once again. If the weather permit, of course ;)

PS (That's what I'll be doing in a shortwhile as it seems, hahaha)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Be great as well if all threads based on or about rumors were reduced if not eliminated.

I think I would have said a similar thing just a couple of weeks ago, but having experienced what has been happening right now, I don't believe that the strategies I might have recommended are really appropriate for this busy time on the early parts of the CF. Even young, fit walkers are stopping early if they haven't booked.

I walked through Santo Domingo yesterday at about 2.00pm, and there were albergues already turning people away. Not all, but certainly enough that it is clear it wouldn't be much longer before others were also complete.

I am hoping that this will be the end of it, but I clearly cannot be certain. I also hope for other's sakes that this is associated with the May peak that has been discussed in another thread, but again, I can't be certain of that either.

Booking ahead a day has worked for me so far, but others are booking ahead two days, and there seems to be a large group of pilgrims who are on arranged packages with all of their bookings made for them.

The other approach that appears to be working is to stop relatively early. In Apr 2010, it was unusual for me to even think about stopping for the day before 3.00pm. I often stopped far later. Stopping before 2.00pm now appears to be the only way to be sure of a bed on the parts I have walked so far.

Sure, advise forum members not to worry, but lets also discuss some working strategies and not just mouth platitudes.

It's been two years since my mid-May through June camino... it took me 43 days to get from St Jean to Santiago de Compostela. There was that one time....that the beds in the albergue I stopped at were all spoken for. I could've walked backwards to the other albergue in that town and perhaps they were not yet completo, but instead, decided to take it as a unplanned personal indulgence day. I spent that night in a beautiful private room with a shower and bathtub!!!! It was perfect and exactly what I didn't know I needed.

To those of you planning, scheming, dreaming and daring your first camino - please do not despair. In every possible way, the Camino provides; and provides special abundance to help us learn to walk with grace into our fear of not enough- there is always enough and more importantly - exactly what you need. If what you envisioned is not available, there is something else that provides just what your spirit, soul, feet and heart need (not necessarily all at once!)

Just. Do. It.

love, me.
ps - buen camino!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I think I would have said a similar thing just a couple of weeks ago, but having experienced what has been happening right now, I don't believe that the strategies I might have recommended are really appropriate for this busy time on the early parts of the CF. Even young, fit walkers are stopping early if they haven't booked.

I walked through Santo Domingo yesterday at about 2.00pm, and there were albergues already turning people away. Not all, but certainly enough that it is clear it wouldn't be much longer before others were also complete.

I am hoping that this will be the end of it, but I clearly cannot be certain. I also hope for other's sakes that this is associated with the May peak that has been discussed in another thread, but again, I can't be certain of that either.

Booking ahead a day has worked for me so far, but others are booking ahead two days, and there seems to be a large group of pilgrims who are on arranged packages with all of their bookings made for them.

The other approach that appears to be working is to stop relatively early. In Apr 2010, it was unusual for me to even think about stopping for the day before 3.00pm. I often stopped far later. Stopping before 2.00pm now appears to be the only way to be sure of a bed on the parts I have walked so far.

Sure, advise forum members not to worry, but lets also discuss some working strategies and not just mouth platitudes.

Thanks Dougfitz for bringing up the prospect of alternate strategies. One that I can suggest which worked well for us last year was to look at accommodation just off the Camino. We stayed a few kilometres away in Isar at La Consulta de Isar instead of Hornillos del Camino. Miguel picked us up and then dropped us back the next morning after a breakfast that included scrambled eggs. It was a wonderful and very different experience and gave us an appreciation of villages off the Camino. Our broken conversation (due to my poor but now much improving Spanish) with an elderly gentleman tending his garden remains one of my most touching memories.

This is where Ivar's Camino Places map can really help as you can see how far off the Camino accomodation is located.

The difficulty as an individual is knowing how far ahead there might be a problem. My wife was shattered when we couldn't find any place in Zubiri, and we have booked from then until yesterday, when she took the bus from Najera to Burgos to get some rest. In that time we have had to set ourselves shorter days than we had anticipated.

Most places hold till 3.00 pm as a standard response, but I have always been able to negotiate a later time just in case. I have also rung to let them know if we were running close to the agreed deadline to hold.

My wife has made a number of observations about the number of pilgrims walking with just a day pack and walking on a booked schedule. It is certainly far more evident than when I last walked, noting that in the past I walked a month earlier than I am now.

This is precisely what my son has advised and they are walking now too, in the Meseta. He has indicated in trying to book their beds that some places are booked 2 weeks in advance. He is observing how very interesting this walk is as to the one we did in June/July of 2014 when we did not have to reserve beds. They actually left this am by train to walk the Camino Nortes as they were called to change it up due to the unusual crowding. Staying flexible now seems more key than ever. Buen Camino to all!

I walked the Camino Frances at this time 3 years ago. I never reserved an albergue bed, never saw a completo sign and never worried. This year I've had to reserve every night and most towns I've stayed in (not just albergues) are completo by 3:30. Those are the facts. Subjective observation - I'm seeing an increasing number of walkers who are treating the Camino more as an opportunity for a vacation with friends than as a personal pilgrimage.

I walked the Camino Frances at this time 3 years ago. I never reserved an albergue bed, never saw a completo sign and never worried. This year I've had to reserve every night and most towns I've stayed in (not just albergues) are completo by 3:30. Those are the facts. Subjective observation - I'm seeing an increasing number of walkers who are treating the Camino more as an opportunity for a vacation with friends than as a personal pilgrimage.
Thank you for being candid with your observations. My son is really struggling out there with all of this and since I am not there to experience it I have only had what some are saying like oh it will all work, you will get a bed, go ahead or behind the group, while he keeps telling me there is no ahead or behind and that he feels like it has become almost Disney like. We can only hope this is not the continued state of the Frances. Meanwhile, he has changed up his plans. Wishing you all the best on your journey as well.

Hi all thanks for all your live information from the Camino itself! It has certainly help me to have some idea of what to expect and plan some strategies to deal with the problems... I dont need tour companies to "guide" me... these were for accommodation only.. ..:D

Buen Camino to all x :)

Noting that there are reports of difficulty getting into albergues past Burgos yesterday or earlier today, things haven't been too bad just before the city. I didn't check in Belorado yesterday, but at Tosantos the parochial was using the overflow area when I arrived about 2.30, so I walked onto Villambistia where San Roque wasn't full. In Ages one albergue is closed. There was one already completo at about 2.30pm, but the municipal still had plenty of beds left.

I hope members reading these 'live' reports realize they individually have little long term value. I know there are a couple of members trying to better understand the trends that might be behind this. I hope something useful results from that.

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I've been walking since May 5, and yes there are a lot of people. I can't judge by their speed or kit if they are having a 'walking holiday' or a personal pilgrimage'. Even those lycra people screaming along on bikes may be in a constant state of prayer (I am, that they don't run me over) But accommodation is certainly an issue/ talking point, and I've been in towns that (according to albergue managers) are 'completo' that night (Estrella and Los Arcos) including private guest houses. One manager said that the week had been like peak time August in previous years.

I'm sure in big places like Burgos, people just go more upmarket (I did) as a rest day . But not all places have this option. Many people (who didn't expect to) are having to book ahead at least a day. which of course means deciding where you will walk to. Once you've done that, you may as well send yr pack ahead, as a way of ensuring that your booking is honoured, not given away if you don't get there by a certain time (often 3pm). As the weather has been harsh, it's sometimes been desirable to be in that early, before the rain/wind got too cold; other days it's cleared up and the late afternoon would have been a lovely time to walk. Personally I've adopted the strategy of sending my pack ahead to a place I guesstimate I will like (never a big town) then taking time in the day to 'siesta' or picnic somewhere pleasant,making sure to phone to say "I really am coming, I'm an old lady, I walk slowly, please don't give away the bed." To me this has given me best of both worlds.. security to sleep and time to enjoy the day. Though I have ended up walking through some places that I might otherwise have like to stay in (e.g. the lovely little Riego de Ambros had plenty of space in the lovely little albergue). But I'm just accepting that as 'each day is what it is'. And hallelujah, The weather is now delightful, in Ponferrada.

(by the way if my timings/weather comments seem confusing, I did take a train in the middle for a bit to meet with a long ago pre-arrange posh singing group tour from Ponferrada. I think it's going to be like I'm having two different Caminos. The first 2 weeks cold, exploratory and solo, the next 2 warm and plush)

Last edited:
Stayed in Roncesvalles last night in the albergue and it was pretty busy. The night before it was completely full up. I noticed a lot of groups and pilgrims using the bag delivery service. All these people are pretty much doing the "standard" Roncesvalles to Zubiri, Zubiri to Pamplona etc. I have decided to stay in the interim places. Am currently in Viskarret and seems like a few more clued up peeps are doing the same, but there are loads of beds in the village. Will try to keep between the surges. Buenos Camino.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi... I have trying to book a bed in Roncesvalles but no beds according to Booking.com on my date so have booked in Espinal instead .. mentally I have prepared my self to stop at Roncesvalles after Orisson (have a bed, btw!! :)) so if I feel unable/wunwilling/mentally and physically exhausted, I will cab to Espinal! No beds in Burguete too, hence Espinal..

Hope the beds situation gets better.... Buen Camino to all on the Way or planning!

Hi... I have trying to book a bed in Roncesvalles but no beds according to Booking.com on my date so have booked in Espinal instead .. mentally I have prepared my self to stop at Roncesvalles after Orisson (have a bed, btw!! :)) so if I feel unable/wunwilling/mentally and physically exhausted, I will cab to Espinal! No beds in Burguete too, hence Espinal..

Hope the beds situation gets better.... Buen Camino to all on the Way or planning!
I would recommend trying a site like www.gronze.com before giving up on your preferred dates. Not all of the available accommodation choices are using booking.com. You may find places available that way.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

I would not rely on booking.com or any other booking site, as a suitable metric for how many beds are available.

For one, many people book and then cancel at the last moment this means some places may appear to be booked out but are not in fact

For another many albergues (public albergues) are not on any online booking site which in places like Roncesvalles means something completely different. There are few private accommodation places in Roncessvalles (hence always booked out) and one very large public albergue which if you arrive early afternoon you have a reasonable chance of getting a bed.

I would "risk" Roncesvalles, the albergue is huge, then there is the overflow and, camino rumour has it, they have even put up container-style accommodation now. If you want to walk on, that is another thing, but if you love to stay in Roncesvalles, do so. Buen Camino, SY

Dear Camino comrades

Thank you for all your suggestions ;) grreat to see the support one gets on here and the amount of useful information! I have booked some hotels too as well as alburgues but have not emailed the (not on Booking.com) alburgues as am not conversant in Spanish :( so unsure as to what the website says... could still try emailing them in English I suppose? Anyway I have booked my accomodation to the halfway point - I noticed the hostals and alburgues have increased in price since the latest published 2016 guides.... I have wanted to do the CF for at least the last 5 years and I feel I have to do it this year.... no matter what :).. unless I am incapacitated in any way ..:eek:

Buen Camino to all on the Way and planning!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
but have not emailed the (not on Booking.com) alburgues as am not conversant in Spanish

Hi, it’s easy to email the private albergues in Spanish. Write a very simple query in English:

Please could I reserve one bed for Thursday 19 May?

Go to Googe Translate https://translate.google.com/ and translate the query into Spanish:

Por favor, ¿podría reservar una cama para Jueves, 19 de mayo?

Copy and paste it into an email to the albergue.

Even if it hasn’t translated accurately, they will understand.

(I also copy and paste the English version into the email at the bottom. If they understand English, and the Spanish version is garbage, they might reply in English!)

If they reply in Spanish, then just go back to Google Translate for the English version.

Easy!

Jill

Hi, it’s easy to email the private albergues in Spanish. Write a very simple query in English:

Please could I reserve one bed for Thursday 19 May?

Go to Googe Translate https://translate.google.com/ and translate the query into Spanish:

Por favor, ¿podría reservar una cama para Jueves, 19 de mayo?

Copy and paste it into an email to the albergue.

Even if it hasn’t translated accurately, they will understand.

(I also copy and paste the English version into the email at the bottom. If they understand English, and the Spanish version is garbage, they might reply in English!)

If they reply in Spanish, then just go back to Google Translate for the English version.

Easy!

Jill
I do the same Jill. And it works. Most of the time they reply back in English!!!! I do enjoy giving it a go with my Spanish............

Wow.... thanks Jill! I have never thought of doing that.... I would love to stay In Roncesvalles and other places for the night, so will certainly do that..!

Another point is, with the long queue (maybe?) should I order my pasport from the website instead of getting from SJPDP? Can hotels stamps in the passport go towards a compostela qualification or it has to be only churches or alberques etc?

Once again, thanks.... I learn so much from this site!

Almost everyone has a sello along the CF and all of them count --- hotels, bars, churches, albergues, food stands, even some houses along the way.

Hey thanks! Exciting times ahead! :);) Had booked my SJPDP a bed in a gite near to the Pilgrims Office, hopefully no problem getting my paspoart! What time does the Pilgrim Office closes please as will probably get to SJPDP at 2000 hours as flying into Biarritz at 1700 hours!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hey thanks! Exciting times ahead! :);) Had booked my SJPDP a bed in a gite near to the Pilgrims Office, hopefully no problem getting my paspoart! What time does the Pilgrim Office closes please as will probably get to SJPDP at 2000 hours as flying into Biarritz at 1700 hours!

The Pilgrims' office of the Amis du Chemin de Saint Jacques at 39 rue de la Citadelle can provide you with a Credential, weather and trail info plus on site lodging assistance. Their telephone is 05 59 37 05 09.

The office is open every day of the year and in season from 7h30 to 12h30 and then from 13h30 to 22h. They keep up to the minute lists of ALL available space throughout the SJPdP area, both pilgrim albergues as well as tourist accommodation.

Buen camino!

Almost everyone has a sello along the CF and all of them count --- hotels, bars, churches, albergues, food stands, even some houses along the way.

And on the quiet caminos, where I couldn’t get a stamp, or forgot to ask the guesthouse owner, and there is nowhere to stop between places (e.g. Rota Vicentina) then I write or draw one in myself! I know it doesn’t really count, but it keeps the days consistent, and is a reminder in my credential of where I stopped every night. I also add little notes occasionally, e.g. against one hotel stamp I wrote “this place was FREEZING”, or, across the green A Casa Verde stamp: “The Cool T-Shirt Bar”, and on the space around the Alpriate stamp I wrote “22.4kms from Lisbon, an ice cold beer on a hot, hot day”. Instant memories when I open my credential years later.

Oops, sorry, hijacking this thread. Back to shortage of beds: I found that staying between Brierley stages last year didn’t really help, as everyone else in my “wave” was doing the same. It seemed that everyone I met had clocked on to that idea. Jill

Hey Camino comrades...

So glad of this site! Its really great and useful for new would be pilgrims like me! I have just booked my gite last night at SJPDP and have had a lovely email from the gite .. so efficient! But, I have not heard from Roncesvalles yet ... fingers crossed! I have had to cancel a few bookings if I do get my suggested alburgues (as in Brierley and other sites) instead of walking a few more kms.... I like to think I am a good walker but....

Buen Camino to all... and thanks x

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I'm over in Galicia now and with the large number of albergues there doesn't seem to be too much of an issue- I'm on my 'posh tour' so haven't had to search but I've asked quite a few folk I've met along the way. Having said that.. I'm now editing to say I met a woman who'd tried every place in Portomarin for a private room with no success including trying to call some from yesterday. She couldn't 'do' any more albergues by this point...

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I'm glad to read your response @GettingThere.
I am walking with my daughter in July and have prebooked quite a few places in advance. What I'll lose in spontaneity, I'll gain back in savoring moments without rushing towards my endpoint each day. It's been extremely easy (and fun) to research and book some special places in advance.
Hi Quinrada, It's my first time too and I would feel happier with some reservations under my belt. Could you please advise the best way to go about it? I am only intending a week's walking maximum, maybe from Pamplona to Logruno. Best wishes, Ffion

Most read last week in this forum

Zubiri was full early yesterday (by 2:30, according to some pilgrims who came to Pamplona today), but Zubiri opened up a municipal building just past the town for some pilgrims to sleep on the...
My friend is trying to figure out bookings/lodging. She started in SJPDP Friday, ended up walking the Winter route to Roncesvalles in one day, only to find no bed so bused back to SJPDP to sleep...
Hello everyone, This is a cry for help. I post this on behalf of my wife, who is walking the camino at the moment. Her backpack was taken away from the reception of the albergue Benedictina's...
A message has just been posted on the Facebook account of the albergue in Roncesvalles. It seems the combination of pilgrim numbers beyond their capacity and poor weather has made this a difficult...
The group running the albergue in the ruins of the San Anton monastery near Castrojeriz have announced that the albergue and the ruins will be closed from 1 May until the ruins have been made...
I’m on the Camino Frances since April 4. I just finished the Meseta and it feels unpleasantly busy and has since the beginning. No time time to smell the roses or draw much. There is a sense from...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back