• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Should I buy these socks?

LesBrass

Likes Walking
Time of past OR future Camino
yes...
Hello folks... I'm really starting to get my gear together now and I'm looking at socks.

Should I buy 4 pairs the same and wear 2 pairs each day or should I get 2 normal and 2 lightweight pairs?

If I get them now I can wear them over the next 2 months to make sure they're working ok? i'm just not sure which way to go... at the moment I'm thinking 4 pairs?

I'm a girl with a wide foot so I'm thinking I'll get mens...

normal http://www.bridgedale.com/men-s-trekker-merinofusion-2

lightweight http://www.bridgedale.com/men-s-trail-merinofusion-1
http://www.bridgedale.com/men-s-trail-merinofusion-1
all thoughts welcome :)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Buy one or two pairs at a time until you know which ones work best with your feet and shoes. I find that if socks are too thick/big, even a slight bunching is a problem. My preference is for one medium thickness pair but yours may be quite different.

Les, my own socks of choice are Bridgedale mid weight trekkers, so far 1, 400 kms on 3 caminos and about 2,500 kms other hiking and not a blister experienced. BUT everyone's feet are different and what is ideal for me might be a nightmare for you. Suggest you get 1 pair and do long walks in them for a couple of weeks with your backpack, if no problems then I suggest buying another 2 pairs, I find 3 pairs of hiking socks sufficient, the pair I wear for 2 days, the pair I've just washed and a pair in reserve in case wet weather means the washed pair take a couple of days to dry properly. I used to also bring 2 pairs of Coolmax light liner socks but didn't bother last year on a 800 km camino and had no problems without them but if you find you tend to get tender spots on your long walk then try a pair under your hiking socks. If you do get liner socks, 2 pairs will be enough as they dry a lot more quickly than the heavier hiking socks.

Buen camino

Seamus

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi C - good idea really. I think I was trying to save on postage but in reality I think it's a small amount to worry about :rolleyes:

SuperSulliavan... many thanks for the quick reply. Bridedale seems to have good reviews for a few years so I'm glad I found them... I think then I'm going to get a pair of the sock and a liner pair and try them out - if they feel ok after a few walks I'm get some more. I currently use 2 pairs of ordinary decathlon socks... not expensive but I'm only walking one day in every few... so not a big test but I do find my feet get hot... expecially right now in SW France!

thanks again!

I walk with three pairs of outer and two pairs of liner socks. I try and match two of the pairs of outer socks, and currently use an asymmetric sock sold by Mont Adventure Equipment, a local company. I currently use Horizon liner socks, and have done so for years now. The key is finding something that works for you, and not making too many changes to what works on your gear list.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Thanks Doug... I've not walked with liners so I'll get some decent liners and a decent pair of socks and see how I get on. I'm walking longer distances now on my walking days and in a week I'm going to walk for 3 days in a row - hoping to get 60km done... this will be a good test for me and the shoes and socks!

There are many ways of preparing one's feet, but with liner socks I normally dust the insides with a bit of foot powder before putting them on. I find that sufficient to keep my feet dry during the day, even on very warm days here in Australia. Like socks, finding something that works during your training and sticking to it will stand you in good stead on the Camino.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
We use Corrymoor mohair socks, which don't get smelly so don't need washing much (if at all) with Rohan inner and hot socks as thin liners which we wash every day.
Our Corrymoor choice is for the sportsman, which we wear as a middle layer with the cushion sole (Companion or Woodlander) depending on whether you like mid or long length socks. So far we have always been pleased with them and have had no blisters.
My Grisport boots were too warm and the Hi-tec were right with the same socks, so the comment about boots is my experience too.

I found hiking socks and use of separate lighter liners and socks left my feet too warm/hot when walking on a pair of Keen Targhee (waterproof) hiking shoes in January, when temperatures consistently were below freezing (and sometimes 0F) where I live. I opted for a unique combination merino wool liner and sock made by Wrightsocks (about US$13 and available at REI and similar stores). I wore them across Spain, on subsequent treks, and most days around town.

Thanks Doug... I've not walked with liners so I'll get some decent liners and a decent pair of socks and see how I get on. I'm walking longer distances now on my walking days and in a week I'm going to walk for 3 days in a row - hoping to get 60km done... this will be a good test for me and the shoes and socks!
Les Brass
You're getting into your walking/training prep now. I'm wondering what your decision was in the end for footwear?
Annie

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
There are many ways of preparing one's feet, but with liner socks I normally dust the insides with a bit of foot powder before putting them on. I find that sufficient to keep my feet dry during the day, even on very warm days here in Australia. Like socks, finding something that works during your training and sticking to it will stand you in good stead on the Camino.

Hi Doug... maybe i'll try talc - I've used sportslick for my last couple of walks and not sure if I like it? but my second pair of shoes aren't great so difficult to say for sure yet.

Les Brass
You're getting into your walking/training prep now. I'm wondering what your decision was in the end for footwear?
Annie

Annie - the footwear issue is a nightmare for me! I bought one parir and they are ok now, better with wear but only for walks up to around 8-10km... after that I am getting friction.

So I bought some merrells... half price in the sale so I thought i had a bargain. But, they're too big and today was my second big walk out and my feet really hurt and i've got three blisters. had to stop at 15km as they really weren't good... so luckily I'm in Bordeaux tomorrow and I'll buy lucky pair number 3!! (I hope!) :confused:

Annie - the footwear issue is a nightmare for me! I bought one parir and they are ok now, better with wear but only for walks up to around 8-10km... after that I am getting friction.

So I bought some merrells... half price in the sale so I thought i had a bargain. But, they're too big and today was my second big walk out and my feet really hurt and i've got three blisters. had to stop at 15km as they really weren't good... so luckily I'm in Bordeaux tomorrow and I'll buy lucky pair number 3!! (I hope!) :confused:
Good luck, I know exactly how confused /frustrated you are. I've just recently bought a larger sized Keens but they aren't going to be it either.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Having completed two Camino Frances from St. Jean to Santiago, during late April and May, last year and this, I recommend the following for socks, at anytime of the year:

1. Wear two pair of socks in your hiking shoes / boots (you should have footwear at least one and one-half sizes larger than your streets size to accommodate this.) The inner pair of socks is a synthetic or silk liner, intended to wick moisture away from your feet. The outer pair should be merino wool and thick. They function to cushion your feet, absorbing pressure, reducing friction from your hiking shoes / boots, and allowing moisture to evaporate. NEVER - EVER - used cotton socks - PERIOD.

2. Carry two "sets" of the above socks. This totals four socks (2 liners and 2 outers).

3. Wear one pair of the above. So, your total need is for three "sets." This is a total of six socks (3 liners and three outers).

4. The inner socks can be worn as casual socks with your apres hiking footwear. I also sleep in the fresh pair of liner socks I will wear the following day as I must cream / moisturize my feet nightly with a special moisturizer to reduce calluses.

5. Based on experience, I recommend liner socks in a dark color like navy blue, black, or brown as they do get crummy looking after a few weeks. On my first Camino I wore white Cool Max socks. By week two, I wanted to toss them, but they remained functional. So I kept them until the end. But, I ended up buying brown casual socks along the way to wear in the evening with sandals solely for appearances sake. This year, I used navy blue Cool Max liner socks. They were likely as grundgy looking, but the ground-in and set stains do not show.

5. If you encounter unseasonably cold or wet and raw weather, a pair of outer wool socks can also serve as an expedient pair of mittens. This is a basic winter survival skill that I recommended to many pilgrims along the way, both last year and this.

The "three-pair sock system" permits you to have one pair on, one pair dry and ready to go for the next day, and the third pair; having just been washed, either dry, or drying. You can always use a safety pin to attach these four socks to your rucksack to finish drying if the day is not rainy.

I have observed that some people try to save a few grams by obtaining socks that supposedly combine the wicking aspects of the liner socks AND the cushioning aspects of the outer, wool socks. I believe this is false economy, as the separate socks have utility beyond simply wearing them with hiking boots. I have described this above.

However, I have also used a liner sock that I was hand washing in the shower as a wash cloth as well. Typically, a synthetic liner sock is soft, like microfiber. A unified pair of socks that seeks to do it all would be scratchy, and likely do neither wicking nor cushioning as well as the layered system, at least in my experience.

BTW - in my two complete Camino Frances, and using this system, I have not had a single blister on my feet. I am fully aware that everyone's feet are different and no two people will have the same experience. So everything I have stated here is offered with that caveat. However, this year, I did get one blister on my right thumb from my walking sticks. But that is another story...

I hope this helps someone.

Last edited:
LesBrass,

For me, a good sock-shoe combination is not a total solution for me.

If I were to walk 8 or more km without stopping to take off my shoes and socks to cool and relubricate my feet, then my feet would blister; consequently, I stop every 60-90 minutes (or more frequently if carrying more weight or cross difficult terrain).

If I were to walk 20 or more km on consecutive days without also taping my little toes (which curl under despite the wide toe box of my Keens), then they would blister.

I suppose my point is for some people (like me), whose feet are better suited to driving a car than walking long distances), blister prevention depends on a number of factors -- in addition to socks and shoes -- variables that may change depending on temperature, hydration, distance, terrain, etc.

One point not addressed thus far has been the utility of carrying a pair of Crocs or sandals or other lightweight, roomy footwear -- to give one's feet a rest (and serve double duty in showers).

Good luck.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
thanks for the great advice... Leaning Forward I reckon you've cracked it... my feet are more suited to driving too... can we drive instead? ;)

I find 1000 miler tactel liner socks great. They have a liner and outer sock in one. They guarantee that you won't get a blister wearing them for 1000 miles. you can google them. Good luck and burn camino

Hi Lesbrass - Just another option. I have walked 3 caminos to date and have always worn only one pair of socks - merino wool. My preference is Icebreaker but any brand should do the trick. I had a few small blisters on the second week of both longer caminos (spring/summer) but after they healed up, all good.
The socks dry quickly and mould really well to your foot. I love them and wouldn’t change my system to double socks.
Cheers, Grace

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I think that this is where those of us who favour boots have an advantage over those who wear shoes/trainers. We can stop our feet slipping by the way we tie the boots around the ankles, so long as the boots are not way over big. I know that my feet slip in my home walking shoes and that I manage better with the boots. Getting the sock combination right matters too. If it is very hot I wear 2 very thin inner layers and the cushion soles, normally I would wear the thin layer, a medium layer and the cushion soles. No blisters and it is the middle layer that always wears out first. Then I tighten my boot laces before going downhill, or at least check them.

I think that this is where those of us who favour boots have an advantage over those who wear shoes/trainers. We can stop our feet slipping by the way we tie the boots around the ankles, so long as the boots are not way over big. I know that my feet slip in my home walking shoes and that I manage better with the boots. Getting the sock combination right matters too. If it is very hot I wear 2 very thin inner layers and the cushion soles, normally I would wear the thin layer, a medium layer and the cushion soles. No blisters and it is the middle layer that always wears out first. Then I tighten my boot laces before going downhill, or at least check them.
@Tia Valeria, I agree that this is an advantage of boots over shoes - being able to make sure the heel is securely in place in a boot is much easier than with a shoe. For those who haven't had a look, Ian's Shoelace Site (http://www.fieggen.com/shoelace/lacing.htm) has a truly wonderful collection if different lacing techniques and knots.

For boots I use a combination of lacing techniques, starting with a criss-cross pattern to the last eyelet, at which point I tighten well and secure with a simple double overhand, rather than a full knot (similar to the knotted segmented lacing technique, but without a full knot). This secures the forefoot as well as ensuring the heel is firmly in place. For the top of the boot, I then finish with lock lacing, which gives me a good secure fit around the ankle. I use a freedom knot at the end.

It might sound complicated. But all this is more difficult to describe than to actually do in practice. Having two sections of lacing allows me to vary the tightness around the foot separately from the ankle of the boot. I find this combination results in a much more comfortable closure around my ankles than other methods I have tried. I have also found the lower section stays tight, and doesn't require much, if any, tightening even for steeper downhill slopes.

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Lock lacing can be useful but just watch that very tight lacing high up on the foot does not cause tendonitis.
Which tendons? I have always thought tendonitis was an overuse injury, so I am wondering why it would be caused by tight lacing.

Like I said above, everyone's feet are different. This necessarily means that everyone must find their own personal solution.

I always advise people that you can always add a sock layer, insert a thicker or silicone gel insole, or use a different lacing technique to compensate for a shoe or boot that is one-half size too large. However, there is NOTHING you can do to make a pair of shoes / boots that are one-half size too small fit or perform better.

The time to experiment is BEFORE you travel to start your Camino. If you have unique problems associated with buying shoes or with foot comfort while carrying a load, or when walking 20 - 25 km, DO consult with your local foot doctor well in advance.

Last year, my Camino almost ended due to serious heel calluses on both feet that nearly became infected. I was fortunate to find a podiatrist at Burgos who cut the calluses off. The feet healed and I was on my way. But I had to skip over the entire Meseta to find the medical help I needed and to heal.

This year, I consulted with the podiatrist and obtained an (expensive) pair of custom orthotic insoles, and recommendations for an "over-the-counter" (available without prescription) ointment that reduces or eliminates calluses over time. So, when I re-walked the Camino Frances this year to ensure that I walked EVERY KILOMETER at least once, I had ZERO foot problems.

On the other hand, this year, my knees let me know constantly that they were not the least bit amused by walking 775 Km from St. Jean Pied de Port to Santiago de Compostela. But, that is a separate issue for another time.;)

I hope this helps someone.

For boots I use a combination of lacing techniques, starting with a criss-cross pattern to the last eyelet, at which point I tighten well and secure with a simple double overhand, rather than a full knot (similar to the knotted segmented lacing technique, but without a full knot). This secures the forefoot as well as ensuring the heel is firmly in place. For the top of the boot, I then finish with lock lacing, which gives me a good secure fit around the ankle. I use a freedom knot at the end.

Photos please, dougfitz.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
As t2andreo says, everyone's feet are different. Here's a different set of feet!
One pair of socks (Smartwool or Dahlgren). Smartwool for the warm days and Dahlgren for cool to cold. NO POWDER (but my feet don't really sweat). Some form of over the counter orthotics. I use Superfeet Blue but I suspect Dr. Scholls and others would work as well. The real value of the orthotics is that if they are correctly installed they are slightly (1/8 - 3/16") shorter than the boots original insoles and therefore your foot stays on the orthotic and the orthotic slides on the boot. No sliding, no blisters.
Don't take off your boots during the day. They will swell and then not fit the same. Finally, ice them as much as you can at the end of the day.
For my feet that meant ZERO blisters/750 km.

Doug, if I remember correctly (from a previous thread) you have bunions. Is that correct? I have bunions and was looking at sock liners at REI and they look very tight to me. A tight, narrow sock does not work well with my bunions. Have you found a liner that works well?

Doug, if I remember correctly (from a previous thread) you have bunions. Is that correct? I have bunions and was looking at sock liners at REI and they look very tight to me. A tight, narrow sock does not work well with my bunions. Have you found a liner that works well?
I have a bunion on my right foot, but not on my left. I have been using a Horizon liner sock, which comes in several sizes. I think I am at the boundary of two of the size ranges, and buy the larger size.
Photos please, dougfitz.
I thought of that as I was writing this up yesterday in the evening. All in good time.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
So... we went to Bordeaux today and visited a shop called Sport Aventure - and we had a very nice lady that served me.

I bought my third pair of shoes! Mammut this time... please please let these work for me! I've been wearing shoes until now but she suggested for me a mid ankle boot? She measured my feet and width and recommeded I also get an insole made.

She did say I have really wide feet and I have to be sure that I dont get a shoe that is too big just for the width... which maybe i've been doing? Also, i have a problem with my big toe nails -they have never grown correctly since my cancer treatment... one is in-grown and I'm told it's permenantly damaged so will always be like this... the other wont grow... it gets almost to a normal nail length and kind of crumbles... apparently this is not uncommon after my kind of treatment? Anyway, there is a part of me that is convinced I'm going to lose one or two nails... but she felt that if I had the right shoes it should not be a problem.

I was walking down their very steep ramps and could not feel my toes touch the end... and my heel stayed in place... which is apparently good?

I also bought a couple of pairs of socks that she recommended... dont remember the brand but they are merino and also have toe protection and wick away moisture... and dry quickly.

And I bought an Osprey Kestrel pack... which seems huge (but light)... it wasn't the one I planned on getting but the one that felt right... they also stocked lots of the products I've seen on-line or folks have mentioned here so it was good to see things and feel them... I hated the feel of the ultralight towels so it's good I checked that in advance... I think it's going to be muslin for me.

Shoes, socks and pack will get a walk on Friday... and three days next week too!

I also had my very first Bien Camino said to me!!

Kanga - She watched me do up the shoes and told me 1) I should always have my toes pointing up when lacing? and 2) dont tie them too tight, unless going down a steep hill :)

I have a bunion and my podiatrist gave me a very simple foam sleeve to put over it. It absorbs all the friction without the need for a liner. No blister on the bunion either.

I have a bunion and my podiatrist gave me a very simple foam sleeve to put over it. It absorbs all the friction without the need for a liner. No blister on the bunion either.
I have tried various strapping and dressing techniques, but they only address the bunion. Liner socks provide anti-blister protection for the whole foot.

Hello folks... I'm really starting to get my gear together now and I'm looking at socks.

Should I buy 4 pairs the same and wear 2 pairs each day or should I get 2 normal and 2 lightweight pairs?

If I get them now I can wear them over the next 2 months to make sure they're working ok? i'm just not sure which way to go... at the moment I'm thinking 4 pairs?

I'm a girl with a wide foot so I'm thinking I'll get mens...

normal http://www.bridgedale.com/men-s-trekker-merinofusion-2

lightweight http://www.bridgedale.com/men-s-trail-merinofusion-1
all thoughts welcome :)
I am planning ot take 3 pair of icebreaker mid-weight and 3 pair of silk toe sock liners that are very thin and light weight.

I wore various combinations of socks depending on the weather. They were fine during all my training walks. Yet, soon after starting the Camino my feet started to swell and I had to wear full length compression socks. Luckily you can buy good replacements on the way if your original choices don't work.

Last edited:

If I get them now I can wear them over the next 2 months to make sure they're working ok? i'm just not sure which way to go... at the moment I'm thinking 4 pairs?all thoughts welcome :)
Great question from a first timer. Lots of good advice - here's mine - I am a two sock walker - a thin liner sock and the thicker (not super thick) outer sock. The rationale is that your foot rubs on the inner sock/ it sides against the outer/ which then slides or rubs against the boot or shoe. In 10 years of walking (including Mt Kilimanjaro) I think I have had 3 blisters. The idea to get a couple of pairs first as a "trial" is good one!!:cool:

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Which tendons? I have always thought tendonitis was an overuse injury, so I am wondering why it would be caused by tight lacing.

Every muscle attached to a bone is by a tendon - including those in the ankle, foot and lower leg.

Common injury - just google tendonitis and tight lacing.

I walked with a young doctor from the Canary Islands and he developed tendonitis. In spite of his medical knowledge. Diagnosed problem in Burgos - lacing his boots too tight. If you constantly rub a tendon against something (including the throat of a boot) you can get tendonitis.

Last edited:
Thanks, that might be the way to go for me. I have seen those and they were recommended to me by an owner of a dance shop, although I've yet to try them. She called them "jelly toes." That might be a trade mark name.

I should probably start a new thread, but as long as we're on the subject I'm going to bring up something else. When I complained about my bunions, this same shop owner gave me something called Toe Tantra by Bunheads. They are a "soft gel toe stretcher and exerciser." They look like brass knuckles for your feet and are used by dancers, especially ballerinas who cram their feet into pointe shoes. They are made of gel (but look like a firm foam). The package says they "help relieve stress, tension and help increase circulation. Moisture infused with 6 botanical oils: avocado, olive, jojoba, grape seen, canola and soybean. Enriched with ceramides, green tea, willow fragrance and alie vera. Ideal for toe pain, overlapping toes, bunions, forefoot pain and shoe fatigue. Massages and may help soothe sore feet, straighten and realign toes, stretch tendons, improve flexibility and circulation."

Well, they were a gift and I have been using them. They really do something positive for my feet. I have used them for a few hours at night before going to bed, (I don't wear them to bed but I suppose you could). When I get up in the morning my feet are flatter! I walk more normally. This is a good thing, because with my bunions my feet tend to curl up from side to side from being in shoes all day. I didn't even realize my feet were doing this until I started using these. They really do seem to relieve my feet. The most amazing thing is that I also suffer from restless leg syndrome. The first time I put the stretchers on I was right in a RLS spasm and it stopped it! I could tell that the RLS was trying to happen but couldn't. I hope this makes sense.

I am not a dancer. I have no connection to Bunheads or any dance accessory company, but these things certainly work on my feet. I recently bought a pair for my sister who complains constantly about her feet. I will be eager to see if they work for her too. It occured to me that this might be something good for people who walk the camino as well. They are virtually weightless and cost $15.00.

They are a "soft gel toe stretcher and exerciser." They look like brass knuckles for your feet and are used by dancers, especially ballerinas who cram their feet into pointe shoes.

When I get up in the morning my feet are flatter! I walk more normally. This is a good thing, because with my bunions my feet tend to curl up from side to side from being in shoes all day. I didn't even realize my feet were doing this until I started using these. They really do seem to relieve my feet. .

I like the sound of these. My daughter has bad bunions (not sure why - I've never had them) so will buy her some to try.

We use Corrymoor mohair socks, which don't get smelly so don't need washing much (if at all) with Rohan inner and hot socks as thin liners which we wash every day.
Our Corrymoor choice is for the sportsman, which we wear as a middle layer with the cushion sole (Companion or Woodlander) depending on whether you like mid or long length socks. So far we have always been pleased with them and have had no blisters.
My Grisport boots were too warm and the Hi-tec were right with the same socks, so the comment about boots is my experience too.
I use corrymoor have done since they began - excellent socks not too thick - I like to feel how I am treading underneath - if that makes sence?

Thanks, that might be the way to go for me. I have seen those and they were recommended to me by an owner of a dance shop, although I've yet to try them. She called them "jelly toes." That might be a trade mark name.

I should probably start a new thread, but as long as we're on the subject I'm going to bring up something else. When I complained about my bunions, this same shop owner gave me something called Toe Tantra by Bunheads. They are a "soft gel toe stretcher and exerciser." They look like brass knuckles for your feet and are used by dancers, especially ballerinas who cram their feet into pointe shoes. They are made of gel (but look like a firm foam). The package says they "help relieve stress, tension and help increase circulation. Moisture infused with 6 botanical oils: avocado, olive, jojoba, grape seen, canola and soybean. Enriched with ceramides, green tea, willow fragrance and alie vera. Ideal for toe pain, overlapping toes, bunions, forefoot pain and shoe fatigue. Massages and may help soothe sore feet, straighten and realign toes, stretch tendons, improve flexibility and circulation."

Well, they were a gift and I have been using them. They really do something positive for my feet. I have used them for a few hours at night before going to bed, (I don't wear them to bed but I suppose you could). When I get up in the morning my feet are flatter! I walk more normally. This is a good thing, because with my bunions my feet tend to curl up from side to side from being in shoes all day. I didn't even realize my feet were doing this until I started using these. They really do seem to relieve my feet. The most amazing thing is that I also suffer from restless leg syndrome. The first time I put the stretchers on I was right in a RLS spasm and it stopped it! I could tell that the RLS was trying to happen but couldn't. I hope this makes sense.

I am not a dancer. I have no connection to Bunheads or any dance accessory company, but these things certainly work on my feet. I recently bought a pair for my sister who complains constantly about her feet. I will be eager to see if they work for her too. It occured to me that this might be something good for people who walk the camino as well. They are virtually weightless and cost $15.00.
I know what you're referring to. This is just a SINGLE sleeve cut from a piece of tubular foam and then cut out so that it fits your big toe.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I say go for the lightweight version. A september camino is probably to hot for other socks, imo.
It really depends on your shoes, feet, the combination of both ect...

And even though all the advice given on this forum is done with all the good intentions in the world (incl my advice) on the foot/shoe/sock departement there is only one way to be sure. TRY it yourself. Then, and only then you will know.

People here tell you things from their own valuable experience, and combined we all know a lot, have seen a lot, tested a lot of gear ect ect, but what we all know absolutely nothing about are YOUR feet.

I would i.e. never ever advice boots to anyone walking the camino. I found out the hard way that they suck....for me.
I am a fan of the (trail)runners, but what do i know? Boots were horrible for me, but lots of people walk great with boots and would never ever consider (trail)runners.
Therefor i will just tell my side, my good and my bad experiences and hope that maybe it ads value to your and to other peoples preperations.

Every muscle attached to a bone is by a tendon - including those in the ankle, foot and lower leg.

I took your suggestion. The first article was a chiropodists anecdote noting that one runner's unhappy experience with conventional medical practice, the other was an article based on a more substantial survey that had appeared in a peer refereed journal. The latter made the observation that loose lacing created problems, and that lacing needed to be tight enough for a snug fit. It also recommended lock lacing. I think I would prefer the advice of the peer refereed journal!

I walked with a young doctor from the Canary Islands and he developed tendonitis. In spite of his medical knowledge. Diagnosed problem in Burgos - lacing his boots too tight. If you constantly rub a tendon against something (including the throat of a boot) you can get tendonitis.
I think you are right. What I cannot tell is when does a snug fit become too tight, and cause the sort of problems you observed.

My recommendation on socks: Carry different brands and weights of outer and inner socks. It's nice to have socks with stitching in different places, so you can rotate friction points along with the socks. I feel the same way about shirts since backpack shoulder straps can rub, too. Invariably, one pair of socks or shirt will feel better in one climate condition than another. It also relieves you of the pressure off making the "right decision" on gear selection before you go. It's great to have options!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I like the sound of these. My daughter has bad bunions (not sure why - I've never had them) so will buy her some to try.
They take a little bit of getting used to wearing. The first time I could only wear them about 15 minutes. Now I wear them a few hours before bed. At some point I will try to sleep in them. My bunions are hereditary; they were evident when I was a child.

God I got tendonitis. 3 days from Santiago. Terrible. Hobbled the last of it. It happened going down hill and yes I was always tightening up my laces.

I think you are right. What I cannot tell is when does a snug fit become too tight, and cause the sort of problems you observed.

I think one just needs to be aware of it as a possibility and if the twinges of tendonitis start, one of the things to try is changing your lacing. Probably better still, change footwear for a while, but that is not always possible on Camino.

I bought 3 pairs of Merino Silk Scout socks . . . wool and silk combined. Lost a pair in Burgos - but still wear them and constantly on the lookout for another pair!. Kept my feet comfortable in September in my Ecco boots - I walked 1/2 days to full days on the Meseta without sweaty feet - have walked through puddles on training walks before and after - and have had no blistering or other issues!! I tried the two sock thing before I found these and it never worked for me! And - I have never seen anyone review Ecco boots - but I am now in the market for another pair, since the ones I bought are pushing two years old and a lot of kilometres!

I think one just needs to be aware of it as a possibility and if the twinges of tendonitis start, one of the things to try is changing your lacing. Probably better still, change footwear for a while, but that is not always possible on Camino.
What are the twinges of tendonitis? Where in the leg do they occur?

Anywhere a muscle attaches to a bone. Typically, on the Camino, it starts as a dull ache in the lower leg, near the ankles, and then intensifies. It continues to hurt even when a person stops walking for the day, because the tendon has become inflamed and swollen.
It is probably good to remember that pain is the body's defence mechanism. If something is hurting, try to alleviate the pain, rather than ignoring it.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Anyone wanting to try Rohan socks they are all (inner other types) in their sale (30% off) small sizes under 'womens' larger sizes under 'mens'. Just happily ordered next year's socks as our 6 years old ones are starting to wear out. A tip for those in the UK - if you check to see if there is a store near to you then you can save on the postage and collect from store. Works well for us OAPs who have a bus pass :)

Anywhere a muscle attaches to a bone. Typically, on the Camino, it starts as a dull ache in the lower leg, near the ankles, and then intensifies. It continues to hurt even when a person stops walking for the day, because the tendon has become inflamed and swollen.
It is probably good to remember that pain is the body's defence mechanism. If something is hurting, try to alleviate the pain, rather than ignoring it.
Thanks for this info.

Bought merino wool socks - Bridgedale - v comfortable but take ages to dry after washing. Would recommend mixed fabric to get best of both worlds.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Bought merino wool socks - Bridgedale - v comfortable but take ages to dry after washing. Would recommend mixed fabric to get best of both worlds.

I'm trialling some very fine tightly woven merino socks - wearing two pairs. Seem to work. Great wicking properties and dry much faster than thicker woollen socks.

I'm trialling some very fine tightly woven merino socks - wearing two pairs. Seem to work. Great wicking properties and dry much faster than thicker woollen socks.
Kanga
Any more details available on the socks yet ? Brand? and where you bought them from. I've been cruising the shelves lately .
Annie

Most read last week in this forum

I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
**Update** I reached out to the developer and a fix is in! unistalled the app again, and reinstalled the new updated version, and it works like a charm again! Hi! I am 15 days out from my...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Cheers, I'm on the last week before my first Camino (frances) and anxiety is rising... I will start from SJPP on apr/30, and understood that maybe on the first section of the Camino, I might...
Greetings Fellow Pilgrims! I have more than a month to go until I leave on my first Camino, but couldn't resist getting my pack together already this weekend. My full backpack (Deuter 30 L) is...
I had bought the long Camino banner-style map in Santiago and finally got around to having it framed. The framers managed to tear my map and I'm in need of a replacement. Does anyone know where...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.