• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Should I?......

Shelleyfg

Hello all - a little bit of help is needed please.

I have this incredible desire to walk some, part, a few steps, hundreds of kilometers of the Cameno and yet, I don't know why?

The urge is terrifying but the desire fills me with warmth? "You won't know why you walk the Camino, until you reach the end" is something I've read more than once.

I'm 59, divorced (no, that's not why I want to walk), have a bad lower back, run my own business so time is of my choosing. Wi-fi would be good (I know, why) as I need to keep in contact with those I trust running my company.

This walk is about me and why I want to take each step. I will walk alone, meet some of you and thank everyone for their wonderful comments, feedback and videos I've researched on the internet.

I'm looking to do this in May 2014 - a month before I'm 60 - I've been to Astorga, been moved by the messages left at La Cruz de Ferro "Not all who wander are lost".

So, please, your help and guidance would be so much appreciated - from where to start, should I 'back pack' or let a travel company do that for me each evening???

Thank you all.

Attachments

• La Cruz de Ferro.jpg
    La Cruz de Ferro.jpg
    324.5 KB · Views: 48
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Sure you should walk, the travel companies will take your baggage every morning-your lower back is not a problem a day pack for water fruit sandwich etc should not be a problem. Astorga is indeed a good place to start, will be good for two weeks, give you the Compostela document however won't make it easy to come back due to the "been there done that" syndrome. I would try Pamplona to Burgos 200 kilometers give or take: two wonderful cities, one amazing Gothic cathedral plenty of Camino tradition including life preserving chickens as well as a free cup of wine, speaking of which you will be passing through Navarra and Rioja, everything from early medieval architecture to modern sculpture and windmills on the ridge tops-no Cruz de Fero save it for next time!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Why do the Camino? Why do others do the Camino? No one knows. You will get a lot of reasons but no one really knows. One seems to be called ... once it gets into your mind it won't let go, keeps nagging at you - so, good, you are surrendering to that call - excellent! Buen Camino!

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
>>Should I...?<< It is very obvious you must.

If the Camino is calling you it will let you know why...in due time.

Some practical advise, if you have a lower back problem definitely use a baggage transfer service (jacotrans.com). The month of May can be wet and the Camino can get muddy; nothing too difficult. That said, better weather can also translate to less back problems, so your call. If in fact you can go anytime, then pick better weather months. I have been to the Camino three Mays in a row (2011-2013) and have love it every time. However, next year I am thinking returning in late June or early September.

I agree that Pamplona to Burgos is a great stretch; La Rioja is a spectacular Region.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
you aren't mentioning exactly what the lower back problem is, but if it is the kind of problem where exercise is ok I myself have found that just a few weeks of training the core will make me able to be on my feet all day without that intolerable urge to sit at every chance...

(which just made me wonder why I don't exersise anymore...)

When the urge to walk the Camino hits you, it doesn't let go. Surrender to it and all will be revealed at some stage along the way.

Where you start is largely dictated by how much time you're going to allow and whether you intend to finish in Santiago. If you regard this as a one-off - as I did five pilgrimages ago :) - then work back from Santiago to find a starting point that fits your needs e.g. Astorga if you are going to allow for two weeks of walking and Pamplona if you allow a month.

If, on the other hand, you anticipate that you will be walking in stages then it doesn't matter where you start as, next time, you can pick up where you left off.

With back issues, it's definitely a good idea to lighten your load as much as possible so pack transfer is a good idea.

Hello Shelleyfg,

After a couple of years of learning about the Camino from friends, books and watching films. I decided to walk the Camino in honor of my father and grandfather who died within two months of each other in 2012. While I consider myself a part time pilgrim pursuing the Camino Frances one week each year, after my walk last year I found myself constantly thinking about the fantastic experience and the wonderful people I met along the way. Although I only walked about 120+km, I am hooked by the experience...

There are many reasons to do the Camino and although mine was in honor of loved ones, I find myself motivated by not only my objective, but also the camaraderie from the people (Pilgrims and locals) I will meet, self exploration, and for more experiences and memories to gain. This year I am due to walk my second leg of the Camino in September starting from Estella ending in Burgos.

Do it for yourself, a loved one or another. What you make of your Camino will create an unforgettable experience. Pack light, you wont need much. Hopefully it will help with your bad back. Good luck.

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery

... Wi-fi would be good (I know, why) as I need to keep in contact with those I trust running my company.

... from where to start, should I 'back pack' or let a travel company do that for me each evening???

Thank you all.

Hi, wi-fi is available in abundance on the Camino, apart perhaps, from a few spots like Montes de Leon, so if it is enough for you to connect every 2-3 days, you will be fine.
Starting point: Rule of thumb: Days available x 20 km / 12.5 mi = distance from Santiago to start from.
If you need a luggage transport depends on how bad your back is and how heavy your pack is. Beware that when using any "organized" travel arrangements you will loose some of the spontaneity of the Camino as you will have to go where your backpack already is. On the other hand, if your back problems don't allow you to carry what you really need (which isn't much anyway) luggage transport is a great way to enable you to do the Camino.

SY

Hi Shelleyfg and everyone,
I too can't wait to walk the Camino or can't get it out of my mind as some have said. I do not think why matters so much at this point for me. I saw the movie The Way and never looked back in terms of desire to walk. I will be walking mid May through June 2014. I am working on getting in shape and am getting near finalizing my plans in the next couple weeks. So here are some of the thoughts I have had lately about the journey:
it has started already, my fear of not being able to walk it all in my time frame is just that - a fear, I can always take a train or bus mid way to "catch back up", I am paying attention to the journey (now) to see what comes up emotionally/spiritually for me and attempt to examine it as it arises, I meditate about the entire journey, and hope that my spirituality and general perceptions about life may be "altered" in some ways (don't know what or how) as this all proceeds. Take care and keep moving forward!
Stefania

Dear fellow walkers - what can I say except a MASSIVE THANK YOU!

Your warmth and readiness to offer help, advice and encouragement knows no bounds.

It appears you are all correct - once the Camino gets into your 'head' it never leaves. I take on board all you say and feel humbled by the fact you have taken time to respond.

I am now looking at dates, possible arriving in Astorga on 8th May with a view to setting off on 9th May 2014. My closest friends live in Valderrey (7ks from Astorga) and I need to be back there by 27th May to share one of them's 60th birthday. I intend to arrive at Santiago in good time and will hire a car to drive back to Valderrey (approx 3.5hours).

I have never known anything pull me with such determination.

For those who asked, I fractured my coccyx when I fell down a flight of stairs some six years ago, hitting a flag stone floor, it also affected L4/L5 discs. I am due to have injections in two months to ease the pain and this coupled with exercise, will help me prepare.

I hope I meet fellow walkers with your warmth and affection - I will let you all know so look out for my postings in May 2014.

Buen Camino! :) x

A selection of Camino Jewellery
you aren't mentioning exactly what the lower back problem is, but if it is the kind of problem where exercise is ok I myself have found that just a few weeks of training the core will make me able to be on my feet all day without that intolerable urge to sit at every chance...

(which just made me wonder why I don't exersise anymore...)
Hi Pieces, please see my comment to all below - thank you :)

Hi, wi-fi is available in abundance on the Camino, apart perhaps, from a few spots like Montes de Leon, so if it is enough for you to connect every 2-3 days, you will be fine.
Starting point: Rule of thumb: Days available x 20 km / 12.5 mi = distance from Santiago to start from.
If you need a luggage transport depends on how bad your back is and how heavy your pack is. Beware that when using any "organized" travel arrangements you will loose some of the spontaneity of the Camino as you will have to go where your backpack already is. On the other hand, if your back problems don't allow you to carry what you really need (which isn't much anyway) luggage transport is a great way to enable you to do the Camino.

SY
This is wonderful advice - thank you so much. As I need to be back in Valderrey for 27th May, I can work my route from your advice. I know the Galicia region well, having been the only grower/producer of Pimientos de Padron in the Uk from 2004 onwards - my visits to Galicia to ensure I replicated the beautiful tapas dish, took me to all corners of the Santiago region.

:)

This is wonderful advice - thank you so much. As I need to be back in Valderrey for 27th May, I can work my route from your advice. I know the Galicia region well, having been the only grower/producer of Pimientos de Padron in the Uk from 2004 onwards - my visits to Galicia to ensure I replicated the beautiful tapas dish, took me to all corners of the Santiago region.

Shelleyfg,

I wish you courage and strength for your future camino.

You will be saddened to learn that recently the last priests have left the famous Herbon monastery near Padron where the now famous peppers were first grown after their original introduction from the New World and which you, too, eventually produced in the UK. For further info see>> http://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/the-last-priests-leave-herbon.19704/ Perhaps you might wish to add this very special Galician locale to your future camino itinerary.

Buen Camino.

Margaret Meredith

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi, Shelley,
So, the basic decisions are made, now all you have to do is WAIT and let the anticipation and excitement build! Waiting is hard, if you're like many of us you'll find that you spend many hours dreaming and reading and thinking about all things related to the Camino.

I just wanted to add that I also have back issues, involving severe degeneration of something in between some of my discs. Before you give up on carrying your own pack, though, you should check to see if in fact carrying a pack will be bad for your back. With a good pack, the weight is transferred to your hips, and does not affect the back at all.

I walked from Valencia this spring and began somewhat apprehensively because my lower back pain had reached new heights before starting out. Surprise surprise, after four days of walking it was virtually gone, and I was carrying my pack. 1200 kms later, I still felt fine. It wasn't till I returned home and sat down at my desk at work again that things got worse, which led to the xrays and the diagnosis I described above. After a month of PT I am making progress, but one thing I know is that a better fix would just be to get on the Camino and walk.

I'm not saying that this will work for you, just that you should find out whether in fact your back injury prevents you from carrying a pack. As someone noted above, having someone transport it for you ties you to a schedule and removes the sensation of setting out each morning wondering where the day will take you.

Best of luck with this, Laurie

My advice would be to do it fully, from St Jean Pied du Port, if you decide to follow Camino Frances. Your cells, your thoughts, need at least 30 days to accpet change and be the new you.. which is actually your old self, but more conscious. So I encourage you to do it fully, to Santiago de Compostela, Muxia and Finisterre. Any support you are looking for, just ask for it :) Buen Camino!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi Shelleyfg and everyone,
I too can't wait to walk the Camino or can't get it out of my mind as some have said. I do not think why matters so much at this point for me. I saw the movie The Way and never looked back in terms of desire to walk. I will be walking mid May through June 2014. I am working on getting in shape and am getting near finalizing my plans in the next couple weeks. So here are some of the thoughts I have had lately about the journey:
it has started already, my fear of not being able to walk it all in my time frame is just that - a fear, I can always take a train or bus mid way to "catch back up", I am paying attention to the journey (now) to see what comes up emotionally/spiritually for me and attempt to examine it as it arises, I meditate about the entire journey, and hope that my spirituality and general perceptions about life may be "altered" in some ways (don't know what or how) as this all proceeds. Take care and keep moving forward!
Stefania
Hello Stefania - perhaps we will meet on our path?

Thank you for your comments - my quest is just that - my questions are many - I suspect my answers will actually just be one.

I know exactly what you are saying, Shelleyfg. Definitely go for it, and you will never regret your decision. It will be one of the most amazing experiences of your life. The urge to do the Camino was gradual with me and you can imagine how delighted I was when my husband agreed to join me. Even on our way to St John Pied de Port both of us felt as though "we were going home". This feeling was to stay with us all the way to Santiago. We rode the route this time, mostly on the road, so now we want to walk. If we are meant to, however, we will know only when we find we have enough money to do it as we are both pensioners. Our hearts and minds are still on the Camino, as never before have we felt this way after a 'holiday'. Did I say 'holiday'? It was nothing like a holiday as it was very hard work, yet it was everything a holiday should be and we both feel blessed at having been given the chance in the first place.

Thank you freeflyer123 - how wonderful - put me to shame now!

I love the camaraderie that is created by a simple Path - I've just returned from walking my dog across the fields looking at the barley and wheat, imagining I was in Spain - except
of course the weather now, here in England, is not what it should be!

I hope you both walk the walk - you deserve the opportunity :)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

I have this incredible desire to walk some, part, a few steps, hundreds of kilometers of the Cameno and yet, I don't know why?

The urge is terrifying but the desire fills me with warmth? "You won't know why you walk the Camino, until you reach the end" is something I've read more than once.

I'm 59, divorced (no, that's not why I want to walk), have a bad lower back, run my own business so time is of my choosing. Wi-fi would be good (I know, why) as I need to keep in contact with those I trust running my company.

This walk is about me and why I want to take each step. I will walk alone, meet some of you and thank everyone for their wonderful comments, feedback and videos I've researched on the internet.

I'm looking to do this in May 2014 - a month before I'm 60 - I've been to Astorga, been moved by the messages left at La Cruz de Ferro "Not all who wander are lost".

So, please, your help and guidance would be so much appreciated - from where to start, should I 'back pack' or let a travel company do that for me each evening???

Thank you all.

I'm 63 and just finished 1600km. Last year I walked Astorga to Santiago with friends and I knew I had to come back and do it alone. It has probably been life changing, I feel so much stronger on many levels. If you don't do it, you'll always wish you had, you've got no choice really - just do it!

Beautiful, such courage! To be called, to be terrified, and then to do it anyway. We will enjoy sharing your journey with you!

You mentioned starting early in May. I spent May and June on the Camino this year, and I wanted to ask if your travel dates are flexible. May this year was cold, wet, and muddy, which made for some very difficult walking. You can never count on the weather, or course, as Mother Nature sets her own schedule, but if June 2014 is anything like June 2013, you will have some beautiful, warm-but-not-too-hot days, and still a trail full of lovely spring wildflowers. Perhaps celebrate your birthday on the Way or in Santiago?

Wishing you a fantastic journey...

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Beautiful, such courage! To be called, to be terrified, and then to do it anyway. We will enjoy sharing your journey with you!

You mentioned starting early in May. I spent May and June on the Camino this year, and I wanted to ask if your travel dates are flexible. May this year was cold, wet, and muddy, which made for some very difficult walking. You can never count on the weather, or course, as Mother Nature sets her own schedule, but if June 2014 is anything like June 2013, you will have some beautiful, warm-but-not-too-hot days, and still a trail full of lovely spring wildflowers. Perhaps celebrate your birthday on the Way or in Santiago?

Wishing you a fantastic journey...
Hi Nancy - thank you for your lovely message.

I was actually in Valderrey/Astorga from 25th June to 3rd July this year and it was stunning - that was my first look at the Camino.

I take your point about the weather in May and concur - my friends in Valderrey would send me weekly updates of rain, wind and more rain :( My dates are not set, I wanted to be in Valderrey for one of my friend's 60th birthdays but I could consider going early June, to finish back in Valderrey to celebrate my 60th with them.

It's the journey, The Way and the Reason that's important. I attach photos of Valderrey June flowers x

Attachments

• IMG_2140.JPG
    IMG_2140.JPG
    492.5 KB · Views: 10
I'd just take what I think I need and start walking…
If you don't need it after all, you'll surely forget it somewhere :)

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I'm 63 and just finished 1600km. Last year I walked Astorga to Santiago with friends and I knew I had to come back and do it alone. It has probably been life changing, I feel so much stronger on many levels. If you don't do it, you'll always wish you had, you've got no choice really - just do it!

Hi angelafinnigan - thank you and yes, I am going to do it! I'm just reading Pilgrim Tips and Packing List by S. Yates with Daphne Hnatiuk - brilliant book, simple, easy to read and full of fantastic tips/hints and advice - if you don't need it - don't take it!!!!

Astorga to Santiago de Compostella is my route - it was going to be early May but I've decided to leave a little later in the month. :)

Hi angelafinnigan - thank you and yes, I am going to do it! I'm just reading Pilgrim Tips and Packing List by S. Yates with Daphne Hnatiuk - brilliant book, simple, easy to read and full of fantastic tips/hints and advice - if you don't need it - don't take it!!!!

Astorga to Santiago de Compostella is my route - it was going to be early May but I've decided to leave a little later in the month. :)

Well done, be strong, I discovered I could do far more than I thought. I'll keep you in my prayers, God Bless and have a wonderful pilgrimage.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
hello...I am new to the forum but just wanted to say.. the information, encouragement and enthusiasim you all share is very very inspiring...

I also wish to walk the Camino not sure knowing why but believe it will bring me the greatest feeling of achievement and satisfaction that seems to be lacking in my life right now....
I was looking at starting early May 2014 but after reading some replies concerning the weather around this time I may also consider starting later in May...
I had been thinking of starting in Burgos.... but now I wonder if this would be a good starting point. Is this the start of the Meseta? would that be hard going to start off with? I have read different reports about it! any thoughts would be greatly appreciated...

thank you

hello...I am new to the forum but just wanted to say.. the information, encouragement and enthusiasim you all share is very very inspiring...

I also wish to walk the Camino not sure knowing why but believe it will bring me the greatest feeling of achievement and satisfaction that seems to be lacking in my life right now....
I was looking at starting early May 2014 but after reading some replies concerning the weather around this time I may also consider starting later in May...
I had been thinking of starting in Burgos.... but now I wonder if this would be a good starting point. Is this the start of the Meseta? would that be hard going to start off with? I have read different reports about it! any thoughts would be greatly appreciated...

thank you

Good for you deefbro - start where you feel comfortable depending on your time restraints - that's what everyone has advised me.

Wonderful site, amazing members - cannot believe the help and advice given - 'The Calling' is so strong and once you hear it, it never leaves you!

Do keep me updated!

kindest regards.

1. I was looking at starting early May 2014 but after reading some replies concerning the weather around this time I may also consider starting later in May...
2. I had been thinking of starting in Burgos.... but now I wonder if this would be a good starting point. Is this the start of the Meseta? would that be hard going to start off with? I have read different reports about it! any thoughts would be greatly appreciated...

Welcome, here my thoughts:

1. The weather of one year doesn't say anything about the weather of next year, you will need to take your chances there and you can be lucky or unlucky with either choice. During my second Camino I was walking one week apart with a friend ("coincidence") as we exchanged later memories it turned out that she had mostly wet weather and I had mostly dry weather. It could have been the other way round, so just go when it feels right for you and remember:

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
The courage to change the things I can,
And wisdom to know the difference.

You can't change the weather you will have anyway ...

2. Yes Burgos is where the Meseta starts. My own rule of thumb is Days available x 20 km / 12.5 mi = distance from Santiago to start from. So depending on your available days, choose your starting point. Some love the Meseta, some hate the Meseta, some had their most profound spiritual experience in the Meseta, some found it just plain boring. At least in May / June it should still be full of blooming flowers.

Hope that helps a bit, SY

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi!
I have also been planning on walking the Camino mid May through June, 2014. I have been obsessed with reading every Pilgrim's blog I can find! I actually, (almost) feel like an eavesdropper into their soul and it is humbling to read and feel. I will be 60 in April of 2014, in good hiking and backpacking shape due to living in the Colorado Rockies....so that part does not daunt me. It is leaving my job for that amount of time that has me tied in knots! I know when I talk to my boss he will be all for it.....but it is a wierd feeling none the less. My husband is going to help me out....but still. All the more reason I guess for me to leave that part behind, for a time at least. I am excited to say and hear the words...

"Buen Camino!!!!"

I am excited to say and hear the words...

"Buen Camino!!!!"

Rosemaryk1, I love how you ended your post! Every time I hear 'Buen Camino' for the first time on a Camino walk, I always cry. There is such joy in those words!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

Snoring (another post ...) After 4 days of seriously noisy snorers in albergues, I was getting increasingly drained during the day. At one point, I was thinking whether I can continue, whether I...
I wasn't sure I was going to post "live from the Camino" for this Camino. I'm happy to do so on my solo Caminos, but when I am walking with family, my focus is a little elsewhere and I am mindful...
Hi All! I will arrive SDC on 5/17 and need a bed for 5/17 & 18. I can't find anything ,( well, the Parador for 800eu). Any & all help is greatly appreciated. I've checked gronze and all apps...
Hello; I started my camino on May 15th, today husband and I walked from Roncesvalles to Zubiri. I did the Camino in 2019 and the path from alto erro to Zubiri has eroded and is more hazardous...
We all know there are a lot of bikers on the shared Camino path. I was knocked over in the town of Villatuerta and had to return immediately to the US for treatment after destroying my Camino on...
I've been reading about the different routes etc and I have seen that the longest route is over a month, but also that some people just walk for a weekend or a few days or a week. I want to do a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back