• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Smartwool socks

Varda

Time of past OR future Camino
I have a pair and love them, and plan to get a few more pairs for the Camino (at Sierra Trading Post, where they're always on sale). However, there are a bazillion different models. Mine were a gift, so I don't know what kind they are (they're on the thicker side, quite cushy).

What model of Smartwool sock do folks recommend? Or is this more of a personal choice?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi, Varda,
I have used the Smartwool brand for years, and particularly liked the Ph.D. model. But I have to say that over the years, I think the quality has decreased substantially, and I've found that their socks wear out awfully fast. On this year's camino I bought two pairs of Icebreaker socks, and after a month of walking, they look almost unworn. And though I usually get a little blister or two (or more if I'm unlucky), this year I really had none, but of course I'm not saying that it's because of those socks.

I think the key is to figure out what weight works for you in your shoe. The more heavily padded socks might feel good at the outset, but they are much hotter, and that makes your feet swell even more than they would in a lighter sock, so unless your shoe/boot has a fair amount of room, you may find you get lots of blisters, blisters you wouldn't get if your feet were cooler, even though it would mean there was less of a cushiony feel. I think there is a bit of science and a lot of luck involved here, and I think that after 15 years of walking caminos I've finally found the right shoe and sock combination. Buen camino, Laurie

Varda,
I wear Smart Wool (hiking-Med) with the addition of Coolmax liners. As Laurie indicates what works best for your shoe is the key.
Buen Camino,
Arn

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I've trialled and love some simple fine wool socks, tightly woven, made by a local Australian manufacturer. No marketing hype, no fanfare, just great wearing, well fitting, seamless and good quality. The weave is so tight I can put my foot in a bucket of water and it stays dry. They are quite thin, so not hot in summer and I can wear two pairs if I want more padding or the inner/outer sock system as a bluster preventive. Plus they are bright fire engine red!

I've trialled and love some simple fine wool socks, tightly woven, made by a local Australian manufacturer. No marketing hype, no fanfare, just great wearing, well fitting, seamless and good quality. The weave is so tight I can put my foot in a bucket of water and it stays dry. They are quite thin, so not hot in summer and I can wear two pairs if I want more padding or the inner/outer sock system as a bluster preventive. Plus they are bright fire engine red!
Hi Kanga, what brand are these, can they be viewed/bought online.

On most all Smartwool sock packages there is a cushion factor. I would recommend medium. I have a number of pair in different cushion levels. Medium suits me best for Camino walking. I have one pair that I bought for my first Camino and unfortunately they don't make them any more. I just finished walking in Muxia and this is the fourth epic journey I have taken them on and they are not worn out.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

So, Kanga, I don't understand all this high tech sock stuff, but I wonder if having a sock that doesn't let out the moisture from the inevitable sweating that comes in summer is a good thing -- do you find that the sock just keeps all the sweat inside and your feet get sweatier than they would in the socks that let moisture pass?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
@peregrina2000 they are wool so are naturally highly breathable. Wool repells water but is not waterproof. From the inside the socks absorb moisture (sweat) and releases it back into the atmosphere. "Wool fibre has a hydrophobic (water repelling) exterior and hydrophilic (water loving) interior that confer its unique moisture management properties" - New Zealand wool research.
Bear in mind that if your feet are encased in a non breathable shoe and your feet get sweaty then the socks will not work, regardless of the wool's properties.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
@wayfarer if you brouse the site they have some other thick wool socks they suggest for hiking - but I haven't tried them so can't recommend them. Those do come in glorious colours.

Try some socks from Darn Tough

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

A message has just been posted on the Facebook account of the albergue in Roncesvalles. It seems the combination of pilgrim numbers beyond their capacity and poor weather has made this a difficult...
Hello everyone, This is a cry for help. I post this on behalf of my wife, who is walking the camino at the moment. Her backpack was taken away from the reception of the albergue Benedictina's...
I’m on the Camino Frances since April 4. I just finished the Meseta and it feels unpleasantly busy and has since the beginning. No time time to smell the roses or draw much. There is a sense from...
The group running the albergue in the ruins of the San Anton monastery near Castrojeriz have announced that the albergue and the ruins will be closed from 1 May until the ruins have been made...
Hello, I'll be starting the Camino soon and there's one bit of it that worries me. The descent from Collado de Lepoeder to Roncesvalles seems quite steep (according to the Wise Pilgrim app) which...
We are in SJPP today While we were standing in line today, one of my pilgrims met 3 people from Taiwan, who could not find a bed. He said he also saw several people on their phones, frantically...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back