• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Spending Time in the Pyrenees Mountains

Arniece2022

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances April, 2022
This is only post-Camino related, so please let me know if I am out of scope. After my Camino ends, I would like to travel back to SJPP and then move around in the Pyrenees Mountains for a couple of weeks. My thoughts were to move between towns by bus/train/taxi and do day hikes from the town, spending a few days in the chosen town. Where I live is very flat so I would like to soak up the mountains and hopefully some waterfalls, before returning home. Has anyone done this? I'm reading websites, etc. but was hoping to connect with someone who has done this. It will be during the month of June.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
You also might look at the area around Canfranc. Looks like a lot of non-Camino hiking and tourism in that area. We got a Airbnb in Villanua. There is a train in this area, too.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Two long distance hiking routes cross the Pyrenees; the GR11 in Spain and the GR10 in France

For a good account of GR10 which crosses France from the Bay of Biscay to the Mediterranean see--

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/GR_10_(France)

For a good account of the GR11 which crosses Spain from the Bay of Biscay to the Med
see --

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/GR_11_(Spain)

You can test how it feels to walk on section of the Spanish GR 11 by picking it up near the Ibaneta Chapel on the Camino Frances. For more on this see this earlier post.

Last edited:
There is the GR-10 beginning in Hendaye which basically follow the crest of the Pyrenees southeast to the Mediterranean Sea. It passes through or is nearby many mountain towns but it is a challenge. There is the Batzan route from Bayonne which passes through several Basque towns and you can either joins up with CF in Zubiri or go directly to Pamplona. If it is Basque culture you are looking for, then just wander the roads from town to town on the French side of the mountains. There are some amazing little towns with high quality restuarant and small hotel to rent for several days but I doubt your hope of finding a public transportation network will not be answered..

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all, I’m starting my Camino Frances on May 12. I’ve booked my first night in SJPDP, but I’m starting to worry I need to book more. My plan was to take it day by day and just turn up, but lots...
Hello all. Here to give a brief account of my (and many others) first day on the Camino on May 1. The trip to Roncesvalles was tough. I went Valcarlos route because napoleon was very ill advised...
I am wondering how you disconnect, in part, from the world. I have a couple of reasons that I need to be accessible but, I don't want to be constantly connected on this journey. Ideas?
Can anyone tell me if food is available there… anyone stayed recently? Cheers
If you’re walking the Camino Portugues right now I’d recommend you avoid the complementario route into Pontevedra. While it is quiet and green and follows the river, it’s also a muddy mess. I...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back