• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Splitting the First Day

Bob Hummel

Time of past OR future Camino
April 2017
Hello All!
Since I will be walking the Camino for the first time at the end of April, at the age of 62, and not knowing exactly what to expect, I was wondering if it would be prudent for me to split the first stage into two days, by staying the night at Auberge in Orisson.
I am training, and I'm in decent shape, but I don't know how tired I will be and whether or not I will feel like pushing through to Roncesvalles in one day.
Any input would be appreciated.
Thank you!
Bob

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Most pilgrims do not split the day. If you want to, a reservation will be necessary.

If you take the Valcarlos route, reservations at the albergue on that route are not necessary. Weather may require you to use the Valcarlos route.

Definitely recommend a night stop at Orisson auberge. It's not so far but a very steep climb to there from St.. Jean. Staying at the auberge is a great experience. Do book in advance.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Bob, I would book at either Huntto (which is only about 6 km from SJPDP - but all straight uphill) or Orisson, or I would walk through Valcarlos and stay at the albergue there. I've walked straight through in one day but that was when I was much younger. The last three times I have broken the trip into two days and now there is no way I would attempt it in one day.

Bob,
The climb to Orrison is quite steep and although many people push on to Roncevalles, we were quite relieved to get to Orrison for our first day. We are 54 and 66 years young. We spent a lovely afternoon talking to new friends on the terrace and had a terrific communal meal. We ordered a sandwich for the next day which was also much appreciated. It was certainly worth it to us and gave us more time to enjoy the views the next day, too. Do make a reservation though. Sometime after the first of the year they will begin taking reservations for 2017.
Janet

Bob,
2002, I was forty and walked in one day. 2004, I was 52, mtn route was closed, stayed in Valcarlos' lovely albergue.

Have great fun.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Thank you all! Your advice is much appreciated, as always!
I think I will stop over in Orisson. I don't want to kill myself on the first day, but would rather go at a slower space and really enjoy this first time experience. I have plenty of time and would welcome the opportunity to meet new friends!
Bob

Bob,
The climb to Orrison is quite steep and although many people push on to Roncevalles, we were quite relieved to get to Orrison for our first day. We are 54 and 66 years young. We spent a lovely afternoon talking to new friends on the terrace and had a terrific communal meal. We ordered a sandwich for the next day which was also much appreciated. It was certainly worth it to us and gave us more time to enjoy the views the next day, too. Do make a reservation though. Sometime after the first of the year they will begin taking reservations for 2017.
Janet
Hi Janet!
On your second day, did you find that the layover made it easier to get to Roncesvalles? Was the second half of that leg as difficult as the first?
Bob

Well, it is longer and the worst part for me was the very steep descent. There are still many steep stretches up with flatter stretches in between. We took the longer, safer, descent and it still killed my knees. When I got to Roncevalles and was standing in line for a bed assignment I could hardly keep from crying. I was so grateful for the day to be done despite the beautiful scenery. Keep in mind these are the first two days and you have not yet settled into a rhythm. There are still more challenges ahead, but those first two days were my most difficult. Next time I think we will do the Valcarlos route.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
All depends on how you feel and your fitness level. Orisson is only a few kilometers from St Jean. If you do decide to stay there, you can leave late in the morning from St Jean.
Probably 99.99% of pilgrims walk all the way to Roncesvalles.

@Bob Hummel I have done both quite recently. The lower route is easier, but still strenuous, with the climb during the second day (assuming you make it two days and stay at Valcarlos - which I do). The route through Orisson is a climb from the get-go. Both routes have their charms - both lovely in their own way.

Hola - I have booked accommodation at Orisson - making it an easier first day. From there I will take it as it comes - say two days to Akerreta then Pamplona. At this stage I intend to lunch in Roncesvalles, but not stop here. (It did not grab me back in Sep 2015. Please no comments!!!).

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hola - I have booked accommodation at Orisson - making it an easier first day. From there I will take it as it comes - say two days to Akerreta then Pamplona. At this stage I intend to lunch in Roncesvalles, but not stop here. (It did not grab me back in Sep 2015. Please no comments!!!).
Back in 2014 I grabbed a beer there and moseyed down to Burguete. Didn't grab me, either.
Loved Burguete.

Hello All!
Since I will be walking the Camino for the first time at the end of April, at the age of 62, and not knowing exactly what to expect, I was wondering if it would be prudent for me to split the first stage into two days, by staying the night at Auberge in Orisson.
I am training, and I'm in decent shape, but I don't know how tired I will be and whether or not I will feel like pushing through to Roncesvalles in one day.
Thank you!
Bob
I did...the stay at Orrison was a lovely way to start. They have a lovely practice of everyone introducing themselves at dinner. I still message with people from that first day. Enjoy and Buen Camino

Probably 99.99% of pilgrims walk all the way to Roncesvalles.
Hmmm., Orisson has 28 beds and it is often full. If 99.99% of pilgrims are walking past it on Day 1 that would mean that 280,000 pilgrims are streaming past! [.01% x 280,000 = 28. Have I got that right?]
:D:D:D:D:D:p:p:p:p

Let's just agree that most pilgrims who walk from SJPP to Roncesvalles do it in one day.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hmmm., Orisson has 28 beds and it is often full. If 99.99% of pilgrims are walking past it on Day 1 that would mean that 280,000 pilgrims are streaming past! [.01% x 280,000 = 28. Have I got that right?]
:D:D:D:D:D:p:p:p:p

Let's just agree that most pilgrims who walk from SJPP to Roncesvalles do it in one day.
Well, thank you for your enlightening crunching of numbers there. Obviously my percentage was meant in a more slang context, and I did not know for a fact what the actual percentage of pilgrims walking all the way to Roncesvalles was as opposed to those staying at Orisson. But knew that way more don't stop.
I swear, sometimes it seems like some members of this forum have stock in the albergue at Orisson.
C'mon now, tell the truth. Y'all getting a cut of the profits? ;)

Before Orisson was build, when I first walked the Napoleon, I used to dream of a refuge near the top of the pass, with a hot spa.... I did not get the hot spa but was still thrilled when Orisson opened. With the logistics of keeping the place supplied with provisions, getting staff, and the short season, I doubt there is much money to be made.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
If you do the Napoleon (higher) route, note that currently the Saint Jean PP pilgrim bureau does not recommend the forest descent to Roncesvalles (it is actually marked with a big "X" in its map). Consider the easier route by Ibañeta, instead.

If you are in shape and unsure whether you will want to stop in Orisson or not, you could try the wait and see approach. Orisson has (or had) a number of tents with very comfortable air mattresses (two per tent) out back. Those tents could not be reserved. I am assuming they are still available, but a recent update would be helpful.

If you are going to try to walk all the way to Roncesvalles (and I agree, it's the killer descent more than the ascent that got to me), you are going to have to leave SJPP early in the morning. That means you are likely to arrive in Orisson before noon. At that point, it's very unlikely that the tents will be full, even if the bunks have all been reserved. At least that has been my experience.

That gives you the flexibility to decide in real time whether to go on or not, rather than risk losing the 36 (?) euros you have already paid for a bed in Orisson if you find you want to continue. The views up there are gorgeous and you can easily fill the afternoon walking around on little paths near the albergue, but I understand how some may want to forge ahead, particularly if the day is sunny and rain is forecast for the next day or some other unfavorable weather conditions.

If you are in shape and unsure whether you will want to stop in Orisson or not, you could try the wait and see approach. Orisson has (or had) a number of tents with very comfortable air mattresses (two per tent) out back. Those tents could not be reserved. I am assuming they are still available, but a recent update would be helpful.

If you are going to try to walk all the way to Roncesvalles (and I agree, it's the killer descent more than the ascent that got to me), you are going to have to leave SJPP early in the morning. That means you are likely to arrive in Orisson before noon. At that point, it's very unlikely that the tents will be full, even if the bunks have all been reserved. At least that has been my experience.

That gives you the flexibility to decide in real time whether to go on or not, rather than risk losing the 36 (?) euros you have already paid for a bed in Orisson if you find you want to continue. The views up there are gorgeous and you can easily fill the afternoon walking around on little paths near the albergue, but I understand how some may want to forge ahead, particularly if the day is sunny and rain is forecast for the next day or some other unfavorable weather conditions.

There were no tents and no camping allowed when we were at Orrison last summer in May. They were full and turned many people away.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
There were no tents and no camping allowed when we were at Orrison last summer in May. They were full and turned many people away.

Thanks for that update, I am sorry to hear it. I know they don't allow camping, but I am sorry to learn they've taken away that "last minute" arrival option. The tents were a great option, especially since they didn't allow reservations. I think the last time I was there was in 2013. Does anyone know why they stopped doing it?

I hike in mountains regularly, so the climb to Orisson was not particularly difficult for me. But I had made a reservation at Orisson 'just in case' (plus jet lag). I really appreciated the ambience of the place, and found their community dinner a great way to begin to build community among my fellow peregrinos.

Last night my brother and I made a presentation of our caminos to our chapter of American Pilgrims on the Camino (I did CF, he did the Camino Portugues, and we met in Santiago to walk together to Muxia and Finisterre). As I prepared my slideshow, I became even more aware how valuable Orisson was to me. Several people I met that night are now friends I keep in touch with.

So the value to me was beyond logistics and ability.

Buen Camino,
Priscilla

Bob, we did our Camino in April 2016, took a leisurely 40 days to complete it. One of our best decisions was to stay at Orrison for many reasons. We had the opportunity to enjoy St Jean Pied du Port in the morning, not leaving until noon. The climb to Orrison is steep and the elevation takes a little bit of getting used to. There are many beautiful spots to stop and enjoy the views if you are not rushed. The absolute biggest benefit to a stay at Orrison however is, for lack of better words, 'social'. The Orrison hosts are warm and welcoming, they are your first real contact with the Camino. Their communal meal was one of the heartiest of the entire trek. The people you meet are all like you - excited, apprehensive..... The people we met at Orrison became a part of our Camino family. Some we bumped into regularly, others we did not see until Sanitago and many we will never see again. But they all remain in our hearts.
Orrison must be reserved and that is an issue to many who are used to our fast paced "I want it now" world. The Orrison folks close for the winter, even after they open in April, they do not check emails every day. So, go to their website, book a reservation then sit back and be patient. They will respond, likely later than sooner.
Buen Camino

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hello All!
Thank you!
Bob
HI Bob,
For what it's worth, I did split my day. I was a first time walker (55) in descent shape, but did not want to encounter any injury on my first day out. Many people experience injury on the first day and carry that injury with them their entire journey. Be it blisters, shin splints or joint problems. That said, I do feel I could have done it in one day. You will arrive at Orisson by 10-10:30 in the morning, and wonder what to do all day. I would suggest (this is only a suggestion as many will call me a haretic), but if you feel uncomfortable with your abilities, and you would like to do the walk in one day, or can't get a reservation at Orrisson, have your pack sent to Roncevalles and walk without your pack that first day. I know as a newbie, I looked down at those who did not carry their pack that first day, (or any day) but in hindsight, I thought it a good compromise. Lesson learned. Don't judge.

HI Bob,
For what it's worth, I did split my day. I was a first time walker (55) in descent shape, but did not want to encounter any injury on my first day out. Many people experience injury on the first day and carry that injury with them their entire journey. Be it blisters, shin splints or joint problems. That said, I do feel I could have done it in one day. You will arrive at Orisson by 10-10:30 in the morning, and wonder what to do all day. I would suggest (this is only a suggestion as many will call me a haretic), but if you feel uncomfortable with your abilities, and you would like to do the walk in one day, or can't get a reservation at Orrisson, have your pack sent to Roncevalles and walk without your pack that first day. I know as a newbie, I looked down at those who did not carry their pack that first day, (or any day) but in hindsight, I thought it a good compromise. Lesson learned. Don't judge.
I spent the previous night at Corazon Puro, and was driven to St Jean over by the owner in the morning. Rather than start up to Orisson right away I spent a couple of hours in St Jean, and set out around 11:00, arriving at Orisson in the early afternoon.

Hello All!
Thank you!
Bob
Hi Bob,I have done this part twice
and each time spent the night in Orisson.

The first time i climbed the pyranees i found it very difficuld and was very happy with my decision to stay there.

It is a beautiful place to rest and meet fellow pilgrims ,waking up in the mountains watching the sun rise with a cup of coffee is very special.

The second time i found the climb easier but was still happy to rest at Orrison and enjoy the view ,why rush and risk injury Bob ?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
It's a wise decision to stop at Orisson, even if you are trained enough for a 25 km walk. The stage from SJ to Roncesvalles is one of the hardest, so you should make a short walk (8km), arrive early at Orisson (a beautiful place to stay) and see how's everything going on. And enjoy!!!!

Well, thank you for your enlightening crunching of numbers there. Obviously my percentage was meant in a more slang context, and I did not know for a fact what the actual percentage of pilgrims walking all the way to Roncesvalles was as opposed to those staying at Orisson. But knew that way more don't stop.
I swear, sometimes it seems like some members of this forum have stock in the albergue at Orisson.
C'mon now, tell the truth. Y'all getting a cut of the profits? ;)

Half of all Pilgrims walk from Sarria. Most Spaniards 50% of Pilgrims walk one week each year for five years. This Pilgrim thoroughly enjoyed My first nights dinner at Orrison (I didn't sleep well because of an inconsiderate pilgrim playing video games on a cell phone without headphones. You will do better). I started my Camino Family there and was greatful this old body had fewer miles to go the next day.... Ultreya... Willy/Utah/USA

Bob. I'm arriving in Biarritz on 30 April 2017 at 12:30. I'm going to take a taxi to SJPDP and after checking in at the Pilgrims office, I'm going to start walking. I'll stop at Orrison because of the late start. The next day I'll walk past Roncesvalles to Espninal. The goal is to be off the established stops. Next stop is Arakeet so I'll have a short third day walk to Pamplona. This will give me more time to sightsee in Pamplona. Feel free to join up.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
That's what I'm going to do.

Bob. I'm arriving in Biarritz on 30 April 2017 at 12:30. I'm going to take a taxi to SJPDP and after checking in at the Pilgrims office, I'm going to start walking. I'll stop at Orrison because of the late start. The next day I'll walk past Roncesvalles to Espninal. The goal is to be off the established stops. Next stop is Arakeet so I'll have a short third day walk to Pamplona. This will give me more time to sightsee in Pamplona. Feel free to join up.
Do you mean Bizkaretta??

No. I figure I'll tack on the distance I did on day .5 (SJPDP to Orrison) to what I'm calling my real first day. That 5 miles tacked on to Roncesvalles will take me to Espinal. It looks like there is a great little Alburge Haizea Rural Hostal in Espinal. If you have a different recommendation let me know. Next stop is Akareeta and there is a very cool hotel. Greg

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
No. I figure I'll tack on the distance I did on day .5 (SJPDP to Orrison) to what I'm calling my real first day. That 5 miles tacked on to Roncesvalles will take me to Espinal. It looks like there is a great little Alburge Haizea Rural Hostal in Espinal. If you have a different recommendation let me know. Next stop is Akareeta and there is a very cool hotel. Greg
I'm sorry, I'm not familiar with Akareeta.
When I walked in August/September I considered continuing on to Espinal, because I arrived at Roncesvalles around 12:30 from Orisson, but I really enjoyed the camaraderie that I found at Roncesvalles. I might try to get to Burguette next time though.

Akareeta is a small hamlet just past Larrasoana. Check out the hotel website http://www.hotelakerreta.com. Appparantly, a scene in the movie The Way was shot at the hotel.

I may take your advice and instead of doing a short walk to Orrison I'll stay in SJPDP and start fresh and go one day to Roncesvalles then a long day 2 to Akarreeta.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Changed my plans when I heard how crowded September was this year. I now have reservations April 29 Denver to Dallas to Madrid to Biarritz arriving the 30th at 1230.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Changed my plans when I heard how crowded September was this year. I now have reservations April 29 Denver to Dallas to Madrid to Biarritz arriving the 30th at 1230.
I see. I walked from August 21 to 26 September. I had no trouble with crowding. But I only decided to walk in March, so I needed a bit of time to plan and train. My primary concern was avoiding rain. I'm planning on starting the last week of June next year to accommodate a friend's schedule.
How many days do you have to complete the Camino? By the time that I reached Sahagun I realized that it wasn't a race and that I should slow down a bit. :)
In other words - relax and enjoy the walk. It will be over before you know it. And then you will be like me (and many others) plotting their next Camino!

Return flight on June 7 from Santiago so I have plenty of time. I'm giving myself 33 days to Santiago and 3 days to Muxia. That leaves an extra day in Santiago. I have been hiking about 30 miles the last six or so weekends to see how it would feel. Glad I did. While the distances are not a problem I learned I needed to dial in my footwear. What works for a 5 mile walk can be murder over 15.

It's snowing here so not many more opportunities to hike over the next 5 months. My only other issue is my back. My body has past its warranty date and repairs are necessary. Downside of middle age!
Enjoy next your June pilgrimage.

Return flight on June 7 from Santiago so I have plenty of time. I'm giving myself 33 days to Santiago and 3 days to Muxia. That leaves an extra day in Santiago. I have been hiking about 30 miles the last six or so weekends to see how it would feel. Glad I did. While the distances are not a problem I learned I needed to dial in my footwear. What works for a 5 mile walk can be murder over 15.

It's snowing here so not many more opportunities to hike over the next 5 months. My only other issue is my back. My body has past its warranty date and repairs are necessary. Downside of middle age!
Enjoy next your June pilgrimage.
That should be no problem. I walked 36 days from SJPDP to Finesterre, including a rest day in Leon and stopping at Orisson my first day. I'm leaning more towards "senior citizen" than middle aged at this point.
BTW, I love Denver. One of my sons lives there.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
If you do the Napoleon (higher) route, note that currently the Saint Jean PP pilgrim bureau does not recommend the forest descent to Roncesvalles (it is actually marked with a big "X" in its map). Consider the easier route by Ibañeta, instead.
It's too bad, I took it in the rain last May. It was hard but beautiful. I didn't want to rush or think miles in....just took my time.

Hello All!
Thank you!
Bob

OK soo first of all ... I did camino in sept/oct 2016 .... I travelled via valcarlos and split over two days ...
1. :) they call it the "lower route" ... I say there is no lower route .... only way over a mountain is up !!
2. I split it into two days .... it is great that way ... whats the rush ?.... :p especially at 62 ! ... haha people make over 60 sound like a death sentence ... its NOT :D
3. take ya time ... why not ....
4. I would have gone via Orrison but did not have reservation ... next time .... But Valcarlos was great enough

arrrgh dreaming to be back walking

Altreia
Anne

How often do you get to spend a night in the Pyrenees? I recommend Orisson too, you can dawdle in SJPdP for the morning then head out, Orisson is about a 3 hour stroll, taking your time day 1. Also, some of the friends you meet at Orisson become your walking family. I now have a "brother" I met in Orisson 5 years ago, we get together every year for a walk now. Buen Camino.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
How often do you get to spend a night in the Pyrenees? I recommend Orisson too, you can dawdle in SJPdP for the morning then head out, Orisson is about a 3 hour stroll, taking your time day 1. Also, some of the friends you meet at Orisson become your walking family. I now have a "brother" I met in Orisson 5 years ago, we get together every year for a walk now. Buen Camino.
Seconded - for all the same reasons plus you are fresh for the steeper downhill option into Roncesvalles.

Seconded - for all the same reasons plus you are fresh for the steeper downhill option into Roncesvalles.
Yes downhill is hard. If you position your poles in front of you...like a braking system. I found this protected my knees and my toes from pushing forward in my footwear.

I second the late start from St-Jean, if you are splitting the walk by staying in either Orisson or Valcarlos. St-Jean is a lovely little town and a great place for a leisurely breakfast.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Bob, we did our Camino in April 2016, took a leisurely 40 days to complete it. One of our best decisions was to stay at Orrison for many reasons. We had the opportunity to enjoy St Jean Pied du Port in the morning, not leaving until noon. The climb to Orrison is steep and the elevation takes a little bit of getting used to. There are many beautiful spots to stop and enjoy the views if you are not rushed. The absolute biggest benefit to a stay at Orrison however is, for lack of better words, 'social'. The Orrison hosts are warm and welcoming, they are your first real contact with the Camino. Their communal meal was one of the heartiest of the entire trek. The people you meet are all like you - excited, apprehensive..... The people we met at Orrison became a part of our Camino family. Some we bumped into regularly, others we did not see until Sanitago and many we will never see again. But they all remain in our hearts.
Orrison must be reserved and that is an issue to many who are used to our fast paced "I want it now" world. The Orrison folks close for the winter, even after they open in April, they do not check emails every day. So, go to their website, book a reservation then sit back and be patient. They will respond, likely later than sooner.
Buen Camino
Excited as I have received confirmation of my reservation in Orrison. Can't wait! Looking for recent recommendations for staying in St. Jean Pied du Port. The proprietor of Orrison has recommended his sister's place in SJPP called Villa Harriet. Has anyone stayed there and would you recommend it? Thanks! :)

I'm arriving on the 29th in SJPP but I'm going to take a day for jet lag and exploring before starting on May 1st. Hope to see you along the Way! Buen camino!

I stayed in Orrison in October this year. Made the reservation in advance. Loved it. It allows you to spend the morning i SJPP and then climb the 8 km. And the sunrise over the clouds of the valley was a highlight of my trip. Also makes the next day more doable. So I would definitely do it again. But make a reservations in advance. The albergue is nice with good food and a super friendly atmosphere. Met many of my camino-buddies that night.

Hello All!
Thank you!
Bob

Bob
My wife and I walked through to Ronce the first day. We did start from SJPdP early, had a snack at Orisson, glad we pushed on to R and the less steep route down. We both had plenty of New England rock hopping experience, but thought the slightly longer descent would be the smartest. Plenty of people still negotiate the original route, questionable whether you save any time. Adrenaline and excitement on the first day should carry you over the Napolean route! I am about your age and was carrying too much, mailed a box back in Pamplona! Buen Camino

Last edited:
Hello All!
Thank you!
Bob
If you are in good shape, start walking by 0800 and you will be in Roncesvalles between 1530 and 1700. It is one of the hardest days, but there is also a real sense of achievement too! Just stop at Orisson for a really good break for early, uncompromising lunch in my opinion. And take plenty of nibbles to keep energy levels up!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hello All!
Thank you!
Bob

I walked in Sept and October 2014 from sjpdp to Santiago. I was in good shape and 66.

I had you same worry and booked Orisson not just to break day one but for the comraderi of a group dinner. An experience I will never forget. The close friends I celebrated with in Santiago and spent many days and nites together with ... I met at Orisson.

I went over the top not Vacar
Hello All!
Thank you!
Bob
I walked at 66 in Sept Oct 2014. Orisson was an awesome experience. Met friends for life. You must book a reservation.
You do not want to risk an injury day one ... so split the trip ... depends on season ...they are not always open.

Hello All!
Thank you!
Bob

Bob,

I'm 57 and a regular cyclist, though not s regular walker. I started my first Camino Francês on September 3rd last and had already booked accommodation in Orisson. Based on my experience, I would heartily recommend that you split the day. A couple of points:

1. The walk up to Orisson is certainly a walk UP! I think it's by far the steepest section of the whole Camino. Then again, I was foolhardy enough to start walking at 4.00pm in 35 degrees Celsius. It took me three hours to walk the 7km.

2. The auberge in Orisson is a great place to stay, by all accounts. When I tried to book, about a month ahead, they were already full. They recommended alternative accommodation for me, but it was back down in St. Jean. But the owner of that Gîte came to Orisson to collect me, and dropped me back up to Orisson the following morning.

3. The overall stage to Roncesvalles is one of the most physically demanding of the whole route, so even the remaining 17km in to Roncesvalles on the second day was challenging enough, involving a bit more climbing, though not as steep at all as the first leg, and a very steep descent in to Roncesvalles. But if you split the journey, you should arrive in to R early in the afternoon, leaving yourself plenty of time to relax, and, importantly, conserving energy for later in the Camino.

Burn Camino,

Seamus

Hello All!
Thank you!
Bob

Looking back, I wished I had stayed at Orisson instead of hiking all the way to Roncesvalles when I was there this May. The albergue there looked lovely with a beautiful mountain view. The hike from SJPD to Ron. was long and yes, steep. Don't kill yourself the first day! If you do decide to stay in Orisson, you definitely should make a resevation.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hello All!
Thank you!
Bob
Hi Bob
I was 70 and stayed at Orisson . Although it makes for a very short first day you meet a lots of starters at a communal dinner and believe me the second day is tough even from Orisson.

Hello All!
Thank you!
Bob

If this is your first camino definitely split it. It's not just the distance of walking, or your fitness, but you will meet so many people at Orisson that you will keep randomly bumping into along the way. You will be meeting some of your new family on the very first day. Book well in advance though.

Hello All!
Thank you!
Bob

Bob! I am a 58 year old gal who plans on walking her first Camino in early April. I'm also in reasonable shape (more or less) and from the get-go I planned on breaking the first day up into two parts for three reasons: (1) Orrison looks like a wonderful place to stay so why walk right past it? (2) Since the Camino is all about slowing down and smelling the flowers, I would like to 'take my time' during that first day so that things feel manageable and (3) even the younger folks whom I've spoken with said their toughest and most physically uncomfortable day was that first very long day. At this stage of my game I'm not interested in over-doing it right off the bat. For those reasons I plan on doing that part of the walk in two parts. How exciting to be planning such a trip!!!! Jean :)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hello All!
Thank you!
Bob
Hi Bob,
I am the same age, just back from my first Camino. I trained as well but I was really glad I split the first day and stayed at Orrison. I seriously doubt I would have made the whole journey to "Roscidevallis" in one go.

Hello All!
Thank you!
Bob
Hello Bob I to am also doing the Camino for the first time I am 68 and live in New Zealand. I am going in August. I have been doing and will keep doing a lot of training. I recently walked a trek in NZ called the Tongariro crossing 8 hour climb over a mountain saddle elevation for the walk of 850 mtrs. Now to my point I was shattered could not walk the next day. Going down was the worst. I think rout napolian will be at least as hard or harder.
I am doing the camino as a pilgrimage and I am not into the easy ways out. BUT BUT If you and I blow ourselves to bits on the first day we may never recover. Lets look at discretion.as well as pride. I to am looking seriously at Orrison for a stop over. Good luck and god bless.
Terry.

Hello All!
Thank you!
Bob
Hi Bob I would say yes definitely the first stretch form STJPDP is very physical from Hunto to Orrison. Secondly the view from Orrison is magical and twenty minutes over coffee to drink it in because you are in a bed race for Roncesvalles doesn't cut it. Thirdly take the first four days easy your feet will love you forever. Fourthly you will have had a proper taste fo what the first two days entail and you will throw those extras you absolutely don't need out at that point rather than at Pamplona like I did. The only negative is you cannot be sure that the Napolean will be open in April or it is advised to cross it. I went over in early May in 30 degree heat but two days before they were in a blizzard and at minus 2. I deeply regret not staying at Orrisson on my Camino as to be honest by the time I got to Roncesvalles in a reasonable time of 7 1/2 hours I was fairly cooked. Oh whatever you do load up with water at Orrison there was none other than from the van all the way to Roncesvalles and I got there very dehydrated due to so much sweating.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hello Bob I to am also doing the Camino for the first time I am 68 and live in New Zealand. I am going in August. I have been doing and will keep doing a lot of training. I recently walked a trek in NZ called the Tongariro crossing 8 hour climb over a mountain saddle elevation for the walk of 850 mtrs. Now to my point I was shattered could not walk the next day. Going down was the worst. I think rout napolian will be at least as hard or harder.
I am doing the camino as a pilgrimage and I am not into the easy ways out. BUT BUT If you and I blow ourselves to bits on the first day we may never recover. Lets look at discretion.as well as pride. I to am looking seriously at Orrison for a stop over. Good luck and god bless.
Terry.
Yay...another Kiwi!!!
I'm looking at doing the Camino in July/August. Sounds like the stop in Orrisson is a good idea. How far in advance do you think it would be necessary to book if starting some time in July?

Hello All!
Thank you!
Bob
We stopped at Orisson and definitely recommend it. We met many pilgrims who we finished the Camino with. The pilgrim dinner was so memorable I would stop. You need to book as it books out quickly. You can email them and they may take a little while to respond but you will not be disappointed. Enjoy

Hi Bob, walked to Roncevallous from St Jean via Valcarlos in 2014 on my 70 birthday in 7 hours with no problems. Found the last bit tough however I am very fit and it didn't phase me at all....June 2017 I will walk St Jean to Pamplona via the Napoleon Way thru Oriston to Roncevallous. If you are fit go straight to Ronvevallous...best Regards Garry.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I'm arriving on the 29th in SJPP but I'm going to take a day for jet lag and exploring before starting on May 1st. Hope to see you along the Way! Buen camino!
I will be acclimating in Paris for a few days, visiting my Son. So I should be rested and ready by 4/28.
Bob

Yay...another Kiwi!!!
I'm looking at doing the Camino in July/August. Sounds like the stop in Orrisson is a good idea. How far in advance do you think it would be necessary to book if starting some time in July?
April would not be too early. They are extremely busy, for good reason.
Regards, good travelling, and Buen Camino,
Gerard

I plan a similar arrival in St. Jean, and like the idea of starting with a shorter day. I will be starting out alone, and am concerned about being an old man on the trail, alone, late in the day. Do you think there will be others starting out in the afternoon?

Hello All!
Thank you!
Bob
Hi Bob. I'm so glad you raised the question, because, at 74, I am thinking the same thing. I have wanted to ask the question, but have just been a "reader" on this site. My impression from the responses is that it is a great idea. My only challenge is timing. I expect to arrive alone, in St. Jean, mid-day, and don't want to be alone on my hike to Orisson. I was hoping that I could go to the trailhead(?) and wait for a like-minded hiker. I hope that people heading for Orisson will not be heading out early---it shouldn't take more than a few hours. I don't think there is any need to arrive there early, if you have reservations. Plus, staying in Orisson makes the next day much easier.

Mark, if you are arriving SJPdP by bus or train you will not be alone, there will be others. And if not, when you are ready to leave just head on up the hill, there will be others. SJPdP will be full of pilgrims. Another good place to meet others is at the Pilgrim Office where you pick up and stamp your passport. Buen Camino

I plan a similar arrival in St. Jean, and like the idea of starting with a shorter day. I will be starting out alone, and am concerned about being an old man on the trail, alone, late in the day. Do you think there will be others starting out in the afternoon?
I'm a first timer so I have no idea. But, I'll be starting late that day. My biggest factor will be him long it takes me to get from Biarritz to SJPDP by taxi. I'm a young 59 so I'll have your back if you start late.

Hello All!
Thank you!
Bob
Does anyone know when Orrison will open for reservations for 2017 and how to book?

Does anyone know when Orrison will open for reservations for 2017 and how to book?

Here is the current Orisson web which includes their email contact for reservations.
http://www.refuge-orisson.com/en/

Since their space is limited and popularity high do contact ASAP.

Good luck and Buen camino!

I did...the stay at Orrison was a lovely way to start. They have a lovely practice of everyone introducing themselves at dinner. I still message with people from that first day. Enjoy and Buen Camino
The dinner sounds great. Do you recall what time dinner was?

Highly recommend a night at Orisson. Yes, you can easily walk the entire route to Roncesvalles in one day, but we thought the evening at Orisson one of the best evenings we spent on the entire route to Santiago. Community dinner, introductions to other hikers, good food and wine, and a chance to share stories with many optimistic pilgrims. Many of the people we met on that first night were still with us in Santiago some 35 days later.

Hi Bob,
I did SJPdP-Roncesvalles via the Napoleon route in one day in May this year. It was a beautiful day - clear blue skies, mild temperatures, no wind - and took me around 6 1/2 hours to cover the 24 km (notes, photos and link to map here). To say I got lucky with the weather would be an understatement. Anyway, I did consider stopping for the night at Orisson (about 2 1/2 hours from SJPdP), but the refuge was full when I got there - clearly, bookings are needed - and because the conditions were so good for walking it was an easy decision to keep going (after having a coffee, of course!). It was a long day, though, and I was lucky to get one of the last available beds in an unrestored dormitory of the albergue at Roncesvalles. The peregrinos I talked with there who'd started their days at Orisson arrived much earlier in the afternoon and had no trouble getting beds in the restored dormitories. Folk who arrived after me had to find accommodation outside of Roncesvalles.
With hindsight, I'd spread the walk over two days, with the first night's stop at Orisson (and I'd book there well in advance). I think doing that would ease somewhat the transition into the Camino. It would certainly mean a shorter day to Roncesvalles, which might help alleviate any will-I-get-a-bed-for-the-night anxieties.
Best wishes for your Camino.

Last edited:
I highly recommend splitting the first stage, no matter how fit one is. The people at Orisson are wonderful and you will meet fellow pilgrims at the communal meal that will become your friends forever.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I want to stay at the convent before Pamplona. I took a small detour to visit it and to this day wish I had stayed a night there.

My wife and I plan to do the Camino May 17 and this has been very informative. Thanks to all who share their knowledge.
I had wondered the same thing about splitting the first day. When people say to make reservations in Orisson, does this need to be done weeks or months ahead , or days. I was planning on making reservations from the trail based on our progress, but is this not realistic? Have most people booked long in advance?? Also, we will be flying out of NYC. what is the most common /practical way to get to St. Jean Pdp??

My wife and I plan to do the Camino May 17 and this has been very informative. Thanks to all who share their knowledge.
I had wondered the same thing about splitting the first day. When people say to make reservations in Orisson, does this need to be done weeks or months ahead , or days. I was planning on making reservations from the trail based on our progress, but is this not realistic? Have most people booked long in advance?? Also, we will be flying out of NYC. what is the most common /practical way to get to St. Jean Pdp??
I am a rookie, but through my research (and of course depending on your route Valcarlos vs. Napoleon), I would suggest booking your first night. If you are taking the Napoleon Route (Orisson). It's approximately 8 km up hill. I am traveling May 1st onwards and have my reservation but taking each day as it comes afterwards. I will leave it to the experts to add anything further. Buen camino!

R

My wife and I flew directly to Paris, took Air France bus to Montparnasse train station, train to Bayonne, stayed night at Cote Basque hotel (short walk from train station), train next morning to SJPdP arriving at 1220pm. B&B that day, mailed some equipment home to lighten load, got passport stamped that afternoon and started next AM about 0800... had 3 hotels reserved in advance, Bayonne, B&B in SJPdP, and Roncevalles Accomodations...adrenaline and excitement should carry you over long first day...we were glad we didn't stop at Orrison because it occurs early in the hiking day, was good for a coffee break though. All personal choices though...plenty do make the stop. My wife and I got into a routine of walking 6 days and stopping on the 7th to rest/wash clothes a bit more thoroughly, trying to make the stops coincide with a large city!
Cheers
Buen Camino
B

If you are in decent physical shape, rested up and leave before around 8:00 am or so from SJPdP there is no need to split the first day. I never have and most people don't. You arrive at Roncesvalles at around 2:00-5:00 pm depending on your pace. If you do stay at Orisson you could leave SJPdP after 12:00 pm. It's only a few kilometers away. You are there before you know it.
The easiest, probably cheapest and user friendly way I have found to get to SJPdP from the US is to fly in to Madrid and take a bus. The ALSA bus leaves from right outside the terminal at Madrid and you change buses at Sorria and Pamplona. It takes all day, as does any other route, and you get to SJPdP in the late afternoon. I highly recommend making advance reservations in SJPdP.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Bob I would say yes definitely the first stretch form STJPDP is very physical from Hunto to Orrison. Secondly the view from Orrison is magical and twenty minutes over coffee to drink it in because you are in a bed race for Roncesvalles doesn't cut it. Thirdly take the first four days easy your feet will love you forever. Fourthly you will have had a proper taste fo what the first two days entail and you will throw those extras you absolutely don't need out at that point rather than at Pamplona like I did. The only negative is you cannot be sure that the Napolean will be open in April or it is advised to cross it. I went over in early May in 30 degree heat but two days before they were in a blizzard and at minus 2. I deeply regret not staying at Orrisson on my Camino as to be honest by the time I got to Roncesvalles in a reasonable time of 7 1/2 hours I was fairly cooked. Oh whatever you do load up with water at Orrison there was none other than from the van all the way to Roncesvalles and I got there very dehydrated due to so much sweating.

We did find a water source at the Roland fountain near the Fr/Sp border crossing point.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
My wife and I plan to do the Camino May 17 and this has been very informative. When people say to make reservations in Orisson, does this need to be done weeks or months ahead , or days. I was planning on making reservations from the trail based on our progress, but is this not realistic? Have most people booked long in advance??

You need to book weeks or months in advance. There are not that many beds at Orisson. I booked in April for my August stay.

i gotta say I'm a little relieved to have found this .. i'm not much of a forum user and have tried to glean what i could from various books, but hearing the different personal perspectives is far superior thanks

We stopped at Orisson also in late April 2014, second day was very hard also. Going down the trail in the forest was hard, it was wet and slippery and with some snow in spots passed the Roland Fountain. Got caught in heavy hail downpour also! By the time we reached Roncevaux we were dead on our feet. Yes, being 60 years old and overweight did not help our cause also.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Yay! and yet another Kiwi. I walked with a friend from Leon to Santiago September 2014 and will start is St Jean on the 1st September this year and plan to stay in Orrison and walk on to Leon . Have also done the Tongariro Crossing which was awesome. I think if you can do that you will be fine.

I am a rookie, but through my research (and of course depending on your route Valcarlos vs. Napoleon), I would suggest booking your first night. If you are taking the Napoleon Route (Orisson). It's approximately 8 km up hill. I am traveling May 1st onwards and have my reservation but taking each day as it comes afterwards. I will leave it to the experts to add anything further. Buen camino!
How did you manage to make a reservation at Orisson...I tried to make a reservation for the 7 April 17..but their email stated that they cannot make a reservation do long in advance.
Thanx Carin

I don't know their reason, but I emailed refuge.orisson@wanadoo.fr and they got back to me quickly. I requested a reservation on November 22nd for evening of May 1st and received confirmation of payment on November 27th. They might not be open on April 7th. Not sure when the Napoleon Route opens.

It opens 1 April, provided the weather is OK.

If you are in decent physical shape, rested up and leave before around 8:00 am or so from SJPdP there is no need to split the first day. I never have and most people don't. You arrive at Roncesvalles at around 2:00-5:00 pm depending on your pace. If you do stay at Orisson you could leave SJPdP after 12:00 pm. It's only a few kilometers away. You are there before you know it.
The easiest, probably cheapest and user friendly way I have found to get to SJPdP from the US is to fly in to Madrid and take a bus. The ALSA bus leaves from right outside the terminal at Madrid and you change buses at Sorria and Pamplona. It takes all day, as does any other route, and you get to SJPdP in the late afternoon. I highly recommend making advance reservations in SJPdP.
I guess I will find out just how
It opens 1 April, provided the weather is OK.
Thanks @Kanga! That's what I thought, maybe they are full for that date.

If you do stop at Orrison (make a reservation, they don't seem to answer the phone, so email, don't worry if they don't reply with a week, it's normal for them) take it slow, don't bother to rush out of St Jean early, have a leisurely breakfast, because it won't take you long to get there. If you arrive very early you won't be able to check in anyway. (but the bar will be open)
If it's a nice day the terrace overlooking the mountains is a beautiful way to spend a lazy day (have something to read maybe) and you are sure to make friends and meet people you will see again (and again).
Or if you don't stop, that's good too. I've done both and enjoyed them immensely.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hello All!
Thank you!
Bob
I Walked the French way last April at age 66. Took 2 days to cross the Pyrenees by stopping at Orisson. Be sure to make reservations for Orisson in advance. It's a great walk.

Burn Camino

Happy Trails

Most read last week in this forum

Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
From a friend on the ground in Pamplona https://www.noticiasdenavarra.com/fotos/general/sociedad/2024/04/23/nieve-primaveral-presente-navarra-8152386.html

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back