• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Spontaneous adventure or complete disaster?!!

Time of past OR future Camino
Next Camino Ingles Ferrol
Hi everyone, so last week I was thinking wouldn’t it be great to walk one of the Caminos? I’m a complete novice, I go for walks only occasionally, but I have always loved the idea of multi day walks.

I ordered the cicerone guide for inspiration. I haven’t much travelled solo before, not internationally anyway. I’m happy in my own company but usually that’s in familiar surroundings. So I kept reading and getting excited and then terrified and then excited and then overwhelmed.

Next thing I know I have booked flights into Porto and out of Santiago! It was a bit of ‘feel the fear and do it anyway’ moment.

Anyway, the fear is mostly gone now that it is happening. Incredulity has reared its head, did I really just decide I was going to walk 240km?!

Any words of wisdom, advice will be greatly received. I fly out September 17th so I have some time to digest and work out what I need to do!

Thanks for reading and happy weekend all
Fi

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Don’t over-think it.

The (very many) on here who repeatedly walk the various Camino routes would all admit to a degree of apprehension before their first time. The big secret is - especially on the CF and the Portuguese although that’s a route I’m yet to do - it’s remarkably straightforward.

I think you’ve picked a good time of year. Pretty much everything will be open and it’ll be busy; but the numbers will be slowly decreasing.

Don’t pack anything you consider optional; if you’re spending money do it on comfort - that means footwear and rucksack. You don’t need any special clothing apart from a decent waterproof.

It’ll be fine. I’ve met people steadily making their way to Santiago who seemed to have evaded their full-time carers; but they managed.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi everyone, so last week I was thinking wouldn’t it be great to walk one of the Caminos? I’m a complete novice, I go for walks only occasionally, but I have always loved the idea of multi day walks.

I ordered the cicerone guide for inspiration. I haven’t much travelled solo before, not internationally anyway. I’m happy in my own company but usually that’s in familiar surroundings. So I kept reading and getting excited and then terrified and then excited and then overwhelmed.

Next thing I know I have booked flights into Porto and out of Santiago! It was a bit of ‘feel the fear and do it anyway’ moment.

Anyway, the fear is mostly gone now that it is happening. Incredulity has reared its head, did I really just decide I was going to walk 240km?!

Any words of wisdom, advice will be greatly received. I fly out September 17th so I have some time to digest and work out what I need to do!

Fi
Hello Fi
I can relate completely to the way you are feeling as my thoughts and actions took the same path. I too am flying on 17 September to start walking solo, the Camino Portuguese Costal from Porto on 19th - maybe are paths will cross. Where are you flying from?
Carole

Fi
Be assured, you will have nothing but a great adventure. First, you’ve chosen a great Camino route for your first one. We’re just back from having walked the Camino Portugués Por La Costa. A few years earlier we completed the Central Route. Both were great!

So, some words of advice. 1) Give yourself at least a full (rest) day in Porto before starting out. 2) Don’t overdo it! It’s your Camino so go at your pace. You will very quickly learn what works best for you. 3) Travel light! Don’t take a lot of unnecessary things that just add weight to your pack. You won’t really need much on the Camino. 4) Along with a light pack, have good walking shoes. 5) You may want to reserve ahead beds in both Porto and Santiago. Lots of good choices in both cities. If you’re walking the Central Route and want a special place to stay, think about reserving at Casa de Fernanda (it was one of my favorite spots on the Camino). 6) You will meet a lot of other pilgrims like yourself. You decide how much time you want to spend with others. But, from my experiences and one of the things that keeps pulling me back, people make the Camino what it is. So much for a few random thoughts, right? Your Camino will naturally unfold for you. Don’t overthink it. You’ll be amazed at how quickly your time of The Way passes and if you’re anthing like me, you’ll start thinking about how and when you can get back for your next one. Bom Caminho!

Hello Fi
I can relate completely to the way you are feeling as my thoughts and actions took the same path. I too am flying on 17 September to start walking solo, the Camino Portuguese Costal from Porto on 19th - maybe are paths will cross. Where are you flying from?
Carole
Hi Carole, you have got to be kidding me?! I mean really pulling my non experience walking legs, right?

I fly out from Stansted on 17th, booked 2 nights in Porto as my flight gets me in early evening on sat. I plan to get going on Monday 19th…I feel like this is either the worlds serendipitous coincidence, or you are pulling my leg!
Fi

Be assured, you will have nothing but a great adventure. First, you’ve chosen a great Camino route for your first one. We’re just back from having walked the Camino Portugués Por La Costa. A few years earlier we completed the Central Route. Both were great!

So, some words of advice. 1) Give yourself at least a full (rest) day in Porto before starting out. 2) Don’t overdo it! It’s your Camino so go at your pace. You will very quickly learn what works best for you. 3) Travel light! Don’t take a lot of unnecessary things that just add weight to your pack. You won’t really need much on the Camino. 4) Along with a light pack, have good walking shoes. 5) You may want to reserve ahead beds in both Porto and Santiago. Lots of good choices in both cities. If you’re walking the Central Route and want a special place to stay, think about reserving at Casa de Fernanda (it was one of my favorite spots on the Camino). 6) You will meet a lot of other pilgrims like yourself. You decide how much time you want to spend with others. But, from my experiences and one of the things that keeps pulling me back, people make the Camino what it is. So much for a few random thoughts, right? Your Camino will naturally unfold for you. Don’t overthink it. You’ll be amazed at how quickly your time of The Way passes and if you’re anthing like me, you’ll start thinking about how and when you can get back for your next one. Bom Caminho!
First, thank you so much!!! This means an awful lot. The ‘ease’ of the route is one of the reasons I chose it, also because there is a handy airport at the start!

1) done! Booked 2 nights at the start as my flight gets in late sat evening. Gives me one whole day to explore, find decathlon and buy a walking pole. I have no idea if I need it..
2) I have fixed flights, need to be on a plane on 1st Oct, I am really hoping that I can walk all of it but I will find other means if I need to, assuming I can find some kind of transportation!
3) the only book I will have is the guide book! I’m a plan for every eventuality gal, but yes, I will be brutal!
4) So I have 2 hiking boots already, one is karrimor and the other is north face and they are somewhere in this flat. I don’t know if they are ok, they haven’t been used much especially TNF. I climbed in my younger days and thought the walk in amounted to hiking, I was really bad at walking then, all of an hour or so! Should I go buy new ones? I’ve even read people do this route in trainers or trail runners..
5) got an air bnb in Santiago, even convinced dearest hubby to come out and give me a hug! I’m either gonna be completely shrivelled or bouncing, I still can’t tell!

Have a wonderful weekend!
Fi

Don’t over-think it.

The (very many) on here who repeatedly walk the various Camino routes would all admit to a degree of apprehension before their first time. The big secret is - especially on the CF and the Portuguese although that’s a route I’m yet to do - it’s remarkably straightforward.

I think you’ve picked a good time of year. Pretty much everything will be open and it’ll be busy; but the numbers will be slowly decreasing.

Don’t pack anything you consider optional; if you’re spending money do it on comfort - that means footwear and rucksack. You don’t need any special clothing apart from a decent waterproof.

It’ll be fine. I’ve met people steadily making their way to Santiago who seemed to have evaded their full-time carers; but
Don’t over-think it.

It’ll be fine. I’ve met people steadily making their way to Santiago who seemed to have evaded their full-time carers; but they managed.
Thank you for the words of support.

It was touch and go for a moment, my manager also had the exact same time booked off, but we decided that the office can cope for 2 weeks!

This forum is unreal, I cannot put into words how heartwarming this response feels…you guys are making me teary!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I wouldn't buy new boots unless you have to. Take the ones that you've used and feels comfortable.
Thanks Molly, that’s what I was hoping someone would say!

I’m taking the train to Seaborne tomorrow and walking to Eastbourne. It will be my longest hike ever and I plan on wearing the karrimors because frankly, I have no idea where other pair are!

If the Camino is anything like this forum, I cannot wait to get out there!

Happy weekend and thanks so much for replying!
Fi

Thanks Molly, that’s what I was hoping someone would say!

I’m taking the train to Seaborne tomorrow and walking to Eastbourne. It will be my longest hike ever and I plan on wearing the karrimors because frankly, I have no idea where other pair are!

If the Camino is anything like this forum, I cannot wait to get out there!

Happy weekend and thanks so much for replying!
Fi
I'm guessing Seaford(?) to Eastbourne. A great hike over the Seven Sisters & Beachy Head and a pretty good work-out for you and your boots.

There isn't a day on Camino that will be any better or worse. Take your time and drink water; though a beer at Birling Gap would be perfectly permissible. Take a change of socks, and from the forecast, plenty of sun-block.

Buen Camino

I'm guessing Seaford(?) to Eastbourne. A great hike over the Seven Sisters & Beachy Head and a pretty good work-out for you and your boots.

There isn't a day on Camino that will be any better or worse. Take your time and drink water; though a beer at Birling Gap would be perfectly permissible. Take a change of socks, and from the forecast, plenty of sun-block.

Buen Camino
Yup, Seaborne? Can you tell it’s been a bit of a week?!

Change of socks! Good plan, thanks!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi again ficklefancyfree!
Loads and loads of good advice above!
My five cents worth !
Get your gear as right as you can!
But defo don't overthink things you can buy anything you have forgotten in Portugal.
What's on your feet and your back are the things that will make or break your Camino! (get them right )
Look after your feet they carry you, and blisters will finish you; well an awful lot of people.
(i walked with a German guy whose blisters were bleeding after two days and a lady from Panama whose toenails were all black after four.)

I brought 5 pairs of shoes in my hunt and wore my Hoka Stinsons ATR6's the first pair i had brought!
Lightweight (my pair weighed the same as one of my karrimor mids),non waterproof and breathable and great on hard surfaces; like "walking on marshmallows"(copyright Camino Chrissy ha! ha! but so true).
Put the miles on the shoe; mine all felt great up to between 5 or 6 miles and then i realised wrong shoe!
Make sure your pack fits well and pack light it will pay dividends my pack start weight without food or water was 4.89 kilos! (the pack weight in that was 960 grms)
(I am a male) The walk as it progresses will make your decisions on what's essential i donated off road hiking sandals(never put them on in the first 2 weeks) two Columbia silver ridge shirts, liner socks, montane long sleeve tshirt,some meds (i packed for the apocalypse) and also i am sorry to admit two pairs of boxers (less to hand wash and no one knew; well i hope not)
I brought some expensive gear and ended up wearing cheap quick dry t shirts from Decathlon:)
Look at some of the packing list on here they will give you some idea.
Don't over do it; listen to your body.
I know your intending ten stages to Santiago; the first two or three days will give you an idea.
If you need to bus or taxi do it; better that than cause more damage and end your Camino dream.
All your fears will melt away by the end of the first day; just make sure you enjoy it all.
The sea is on your left and you will soon see Santiago.
Have a great walk
Woody
(just seen the post above; everyone is different a lot of people say to walk with gloop or vasaline and two pairs of socks(liner plus merino sock)! i walk five to seven miles a day everyday here in UK with a pair of darn tough merino socks.
On Camino i got my first blister in probs 15 years as my feet cooked in the 24 C heat and the socks (sort out a sock regime that works for you) one pair and leukotape was enough.

Last edited:
Hi Carole, you have got to be kidding me?! I mean really pulling my non experience walking legs, right?

I fly out from Stansted on 17th, booked 2 nights in Porto as my flight gets me in early evening on sat. I plan to get going on Monday 19th…I feel like this is either the worlds serendipitous coincidence, or you are pulling my leg!
Fi
Absolutely serious and not pulling your leg Fi - I am flying from Liverpool on 17th arrive 11pm so booked into hotel for 2 nights (well one and half!) so well rested before I start walking on Monday 19th!!! Going to use Sunday to look around Porto, I understand its a lovely city and to go to Decatholon and get some walking poles - which I see above thats what you're also planning on doing also - serendipitous indeed!!!!!!!!!!!!
What time do you arrive on Saturday? I'll look out for you in Decatholon at the walking pole section!!!!
Carole

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Try to get in touch with CSJ (confraternity of st James) and their regional group for your area. I know up north there will be a few events between now and September like “practical pilgrim’s day”, if you can join in a group walk even better!

Then hopefully you can really try out your gear and see how they work for you, if they don’t then you can compare with how other people have done it - everyone has their own preference from shoes vs boots vs sandals, frame vs frameless packs, sticks vs no sticks, foot care (about 101 different ways) etc etc etc…

Right now, it doesn't sound like you are motivated by the religious significance of the Camino de Santiago, but nonetheless, you may walk in a spirit of enquiry. If receiving the Compostela does become important, you will need to walk the last 100 km or cycle the last 200 km. With a fixed departure date, it will be important to assess, before you get to that point, how many days you will need for that. You may then need to arrange to take a public transport/taxi/etc to Vigo or Tui with sufficient days left to walk the remainder of the way.

Edit: like Sarria on the CF, Tui is a little more than 100 km, and you could walk from somewhere closer like O Porrino if you are really tight for time. Someone might be able to tell you where that might be on the route from Vigo. However, Tui and Vigo seem to be relatively easy to get transport to, and are convenient for that reason.

Last edited:
Re: Porto
It is a wonderful place to visit, so much so I am considering immigrating there. A fun way to get and hour so overview of the city is to get on the red and/or green hop-off/hop-on double decker tourist buses.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Fi
You will love it! The only advice: stay in an albergue at least on your first night. That is where you will make connections and can decide to hike with a new friend or on your own. Bom caminho!

I wouldn't buy new boots unless you have to. Take the ones that you've used and feels comfortable.
Put your boots on NOW! Feet change over the years! Go For a daily walk. Baby your feet, starting now. Wear your pack. Poles are great to use.
start slow, low miles in the beginning.
have fun! It all works out.
congratulations on jumping in!

Do NOT worry. Porto to Santiago is relatively easy compared to other routes. Highly recommend you consider walking all of the way to Finisterre--Beautiful walk.

Porto--I went there blind--had no idea it is PARTY town on weekends and no easy to find a cheap place to stay on Friday or Saturday nights. When leaving in the morning the streets were still full of young people dancing and drinking!

I walked the interior route rather than the Beach and everyone I met later loved the Beach route. Never had a problem finding a place to stay as all albergues had plenty of empty bunks.

My favorite albergue on my five caminos is on the portugese. Run by a Canadian Ex War correspondent who built it for his wife who was killed reporting on the war in Syria. 8 Euros for a bed and supper and Breakfast--he even washes your clothes for free. He will tell stories and drink wine with you until you MUST go get some sleep. People liked him so much that some people returned there to help him after they had walked to santiago. If you are broke, he does NOT charge you for anything. Great place--one of those hidden gems that you will miss if you pre-book.

Enjoy your walk...but it is nothing like the Frances. Hopefully you will do the frances afterwards.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Do NOT worry. Porto to Santiago is relatively easy compared to other routes. Highly recommend you consider walking all of the way to Finisterre--Beautiful walk.

Porto--I went there blind--had no idea it is PARTY town on weekends and no easy to find a cheap place to stay on Friday or Saturday nights. When leaving in the morning the streets were still full of young people dancing and drinking!

I walked the interior route rather than the Beach and everyone I met later loved the Beach route. Never had a problem finding a place to stay as all albergues had plenty of empty bunks.

My favorite albergue on my five caminos is on the portugese. Run by a Canadian Ex War correspondent who built it for his wife who was killed reporting on the war in Syria. 8 Euros for a bed and supper and Breakfast--he even washes your clothes for free. He will tell stories and drink wine with you until you MUST go get some sleep. People liked him so much that some people returned there to help him after they had walked to santiago. If you are broke, he does NOT charge you for anything. Great place--one of those hidden gems that you will miss if you pre-book.

Enjoy your walk...but it is nothing like the Frances. Hopefully you will do the frances afterwards.
What’s the name and location of this albergue?

Much good advice has already been said so I would suggest the following:
  • Pack as light as you can.
  • Try not to check luggage on the plane.
  • Be prepared to discard stuff along the way - both physical and mental :)
  • Finally, a visit to Pilgrim House is a great way to conclude your journey in Santiago (or begin a new one).
Enjoy

Sept 19-Sept 30 gives you 12 days to walk. Central route 240k, coastal about 280. So you will need to average 20-24k/day, which is completely reasonable. But it is not just the distance. It is the dtstance every day that is the challenge. You will want to test that at home. Back-to-back walks of a reasonable distance for 4-5 days in a row will not only prepare you for that, but test those old boots to ensure they’ll work for you.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hello Fi,
All good advice here.
FEET: These are your friends and need care, even on an "easy" Camino. I discovered that I need my footwear to be 1 or sometimes 2 sizes larger than when I was younger. I just walked Porto to Santiago in March 2022 (postponed from 2020), and I wore hiking shoes rather than boots.

I always wear 2 pair of socks, a very thin pair of liner socks and an outer pair of Lidl hiking socks. I also use a very little Flexitol on my heels and around the ball of my foot. It is more waxy than Vaseline. I have never had a blister on any of my Caminos.

I loved the coastal Portugues Camino although the ferry across to Spain was a small adventure in itself. I've heard there is a better ferry now.

Buen Camino for when you go.
Ena

Hi Fi,

Congratulations on making the decision to walk. I walked the Portugese in May. It was a wonderful experiance for me and I hope the same for you.

My advise is similar to others here. Get the right shoes for your feet and pack as light as possible. When planning to hike my first camino in 2019, it bought and returned at lease 6 brands of shoes until I found the best shoes for my feet; Salomon. Now I don't walk in anthing else. I buy one size larger. When you walk everyday your feet swell so you will need the extra room. I also wear two pair of socks; injinji toe socks and smartwool lightweigh socks over the injinji. In the past four years I have walked over 8000 miles and I have never had a blister.

I walked with a 26 liter pack and I had everything I needed. You will find a lot of good advice on the forum and on the web about what you should pack so I won't list it here. Try to take what you absolutly need; you can find everything else on the Camino. I was suprised at how little I needed to carry; I even sent items ahead to Santiago!

The walk will challenge you at times but it is not too difficult. You have enough time to prepare before you arrive.

One last thing... enjoy your experiance!

I hope to hear about your adventure on the forum in September :)

Last edited:
Hello Fi,
All good advice here.
FEET: These are your friends and need care, even on an "easy" Camino. I discovered that I need my footwear to be 1 or sometimes 2 sizes larger than when I was younger. I just walked Porto to Santiago in March 2022 (postponed from 2020), and I wore hiking shoes rather than boots.

I always wear 2 pair of socks, a very thin pair of liner socks and an outer pair of Lidl hiking socks. I also use a very little Flexitol on my heels and around the ball of my foot. It is more waxy than Vaseline. I have never had a blister on any of my Caminos.

I loved the coastal Portugues Camino although the ferry across to Spain was a small adventure in itself. I've heard there is a better ferry now.

Buen Camino for when you go.
Ena

When I walked in May 2022 the Ferry was no longer running, but the water taxi is very efficient and reasonably priced. You cant miss the water taxi if you hike through park going into Caminia. The Taxi is at the end of the park.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Fi
Relax... go with the flow.. be open to opportunities as they arise...

My 'rules' for a successful and enjoyable Camino:
  • love your feet;
  • listen to your body;
  • stop and smell the roses; and
  • take the opportunity to make peace with your past.

Hello Fi
Carole
So maybe even our paths will cross ... if you plan to arrive in Santiago towards the end of September. Wil be coming from another direction though.

But anyway, Buen Camino to both of you solo walkers! And relax, it will all work out somehow :)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Dear Forum Members,

I’m honestly touched and blown away by all the support from this community.

I’m grateful for everyone who took the time to respond. So much good stuff in there, I’m making a mental list at what I need to do.

I put on my old hiking boots yesterday and walked from Seaford to Eastbourne. My phone tells me it’s was about 20km, and took me around 6/7 hours.

What I discovered:
The old boots weren’t made for walking! Heavy and clunky and also poor fitting. My big toe kept hitting the front on any downward incline.
I LOVED it! The walking I mean, the scenery, the joy of just starting at one place and ending at another. Best of all, looking back to see how far you have gone.
My calves need some serious tlc. I’ve always known they were tight, will have to spend time sorting this out before September.

I’m off to Cotswold today to see what shoes they have. I’m going for lighter trekking shoes/boots. And my old boots will get relegated to short one day walks.

Thanks again everyone, I hope you all had a wonderful weekend!
Fi

I finished the Portuguese a few days ago. It is a wonderful walk!

I stayed in the Albergue at the Monastery of Herbon just before Padron. It is a wonderful place with a communal dinner and breakfast. You sleep in the tiny rooms, the monks used to live in. You are also offered a tour of the monastery and at mass the priest gives the pilgrims blessing.

In Pontecesures there is a sign showing the way to Herbon, it is a 3 km detour along a quiet country lane. Then you cross a river and you are there.

Buen Camino

I finished the Portuguese a few days ago. It is a wonderful walk!

I stayed in the Albergue at the Monastery of Herbon just before Padron. It is a wonderful place with a communal dinner and breakfast. You sleep in the tiny rooms, the monks used to live in. You are also offered a tour of the monastery and at mass the priest gives the pilgrims blessing.

In Pontecesures there is a sign showing the way to Herbon, it is a 3 km detour along a quiet country lane. Then you cross a river and you are there.

Buen Camino
This sounds amazing, thank you!

Here's the truth....
One year from now you are going to be writing a post to some other Camino novice saying something like
"everything will be fine" and "I wish I were going too"...something like that!! :)

Most read last week in this forum

Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.