• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Staging options around Cruz de Ferro

Time of past OR future Camino
April 2023 Camino Frances
Sorry if this has been asked before but wanted to get peoples take on the hike to cruz de ferro. I plan to stay in astorga to do some sight-seeing and was wondering if astorga to foncebedon is doable or just crazy talk. I stayed at Orrison to break up day 1 so a little worried about that climb at the end to get to foncebedon.

Not seeing anything on booking for the town just before foncebedon.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I walk long distances with pack but from memory I was in the muni at Astorga last year and went thru to el Acebo (swimming pool ) far end. Not an easy day and YMMV

Impossible to answer without knowing your fitness and walking experience. I could walk from Astorga to Foncebadon quite easily - I sometimes walk 40km days - but some people would find it too far. The route is fairly gentle with good walking surfaces as far as Rabanal but becomes steeper and a bit more difficult underfoot after that. Nothing too tough though. The issue is about distance rather than terrain.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Thanks for the replies. My fitness level is definitely not quite up to par with you guys though. I can do 30’s here and there but only attempt them if its relatively flat. I usually try to stay in the 20-25 km range.

Im more concerned about the elevation gain at the tail end of 25 km hike than i am about the terrain. Im assuming the terrain is about consistent with what we’ve been seeing so far.

Thanks for the replies. My fitness level is definitely not quite up to par with you guys though. I can do 30’s here and there but only attempt them if its relatively flat. I usually try to stay in the 20-25 km range.

Im more concerned about the elevation gain at the tail end of 25 km hike than i am about the terrain. Im assuming the terrain is about consistent with what we’ve been seeing so far.
Coming down from Cruz de fero is quite bad in places, as discussed on another recent thread. In the past I have tried to stay in Rabanal in a family run place called El Pillar ? 2019 was last visit tho

So the terrain is important in this occasion if you find yourself tired and at the top

Coming down from Cruz de fero is quite bad in places, as discussed on another recent thread. In the past I have tried to stay in Rabanal in a family run place called El Pillar ? 2019 was last visit tho

So the terrain is important in this occasion if you find yourself tired and at the top
I have a reservation in foncebedon as i’m sure that climb will drain me. Was just debating if i should try to shorten that day a bit by starting somewhere closer than astorga.

I saw the other thread about coming down. My question was more about the climb so i started a new thread rather than attempt to hijack the other one.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

I am definitely not in the same class as @markie6 and @Bradypus and perhaps more in your category or, rather, I was at the time: 20-24 km range and occasionally 30 km but only when it is fairly flat and I really have to. We stayed in Rabanal and I see from our track in Google Earth that it was 21 km from Astorga and I remember that I felt energetic enough to walk from the start of Rabanal village where we stayed up to the church and back again and that was twice during this same evening. Also, we certainly did not start before 8 am in Astorga and probably later but I don't record this stuff. What I want to say is that we probably could have managed to get to Foncebadon. As @Bradypus has pointed out, the increase is gradual and gets a bit steeper after Rabanal but I don't remember it as particularly hard.

My main concern in your situation would be the temperature in the afternoon and late afternoon. I don't recall whether the way from Rabanal to Foncebadon has shade. But anyway, current weather forecast (https://www.meteoblue.com/en/weather/week/foncebadón_spain_3122333) does not look bad in this respect.

Buen Camino.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
@Ghost Rydurrrr, I forgot to add: sunrise and sunset are currently at around 7:15 and 21:30 but you probably know that already. 😊
I wasnt aware of the times so thank you. I will try to contact more albergues in rabanal to see if i can find a spot. The heat will definitely be a concern. I will definitely try to recharge somehow in rabanal before attempting the climb. Maybe a nap and/or an extra long break.

GR,
Gronze gives Astorga-Foncebadon as its recommended stage. It allocates 2 out of 5 stars for difficulty (which might be a touch too kind). As you've worked out, most of the stage, as far as Rabanal, is easy going. But then it kicks up a bit for the last 6km into Foncebadon. It would be pretty straightforward if the path just went along the little road. But it tries to find a more natural path, so a few times while the road winds gradually around a small hill, the camino track goes up and over. But if you have a bed booked, I see no real difficulty in just taking it slow and steady - and there are plenty of places to recharge and refresh between Astorga and Rabanal.
It sounds like your preference is to stay at Rabanal, but you can't get a booking. Presumably you've tried Pilar's place? and you don't want to leave it to chance and just turn up at the municipal or CSJ's Gaucelmo, which between them have 70+ non-bookable beds? (Gaucelmo has a lovely garden and usually serves a very English afternoon cup of tea FWIW...).
My impression last year was that Rabanal was by no means full as the majority of pilgrims were pushing on to Foncebadon. But I guess if it's really busy where you are right now you won't feel like leaving it to chance...

Thanks tom. I wasnt aware of pilar’s albergue as ive mostly just been using wise pilgrim app and dont see it listed there. I checked their website though and it looks great. Definitely headed there for my mid-day meal before the final push to foncebedon.

It was recommended to stay at foncebedon to catch the sunrise on the trail to cruz de ferro so that was the main reason i trued to book there. I hadnt checked elevation yet so when i did, i just was a little concerned.

A lot of people did pyrenes in a single stage but i was glad i stayed at orisson to break it up. I started out real heavy with my gear and started cramping just before reaching Orisson. That woulda been a tough day if i had to push through straight to roncesvalles

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Sorry if this has been asked before but wanted to get peoples take on the hike to cruz de ferro. I plan to stay in astorga to do some sight-seeing and was wondering if astorga to foncebedon is doable or just crazy talk. I stayed at Orrison to break up day 1 so a little worried about that climb at the end to get to foncebedon.

The Refugio Gaucelmo in Rabanal does not take advance bookings and is a very nice place. It is a Donotivo (so please be generous if you can) run my the Confraternity of St James based in UK. It is towards the top of the main street which certainly starts the next day nicely. As mentioned above, they provide afternoon tea and cake with the chance to meet others that are staying. Good kitchen facilities if you want to cook for yourself.

I wasnt aware of pilar’s albergue as ive mostly just been using wise pilgrim app and dont see it listed there. I checked their website though and it looks great. Definitely headed there for my mid-day meal before the final push to foncebedon.
Very surprised Pilar's place isn't on @wisepilgrim app as it's been an institution for years - perhaps under its full name Albergue Nuestra?
Last time in Rabanal I ate at Posada El Tesin near the entrance to the village. Had a very nice meal with a couple of forum members. Then pushed on to Monte Irago albergue in Foncebadon.
Agree with CarolamS above, Gaucelmo is a special place.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Walked Astorga to Foncebadon on my first Camino. For a 65 year old, it was far from my toughest day walking even the last few kilometers. By starting early from Astorga, I arrived in Foncebadon early in the afternoon with plenty still left in the tank. It’s a charming village and one that I would have regretted not staying in. Plus, you’re then quite close to Cruz de Ferro that an early start can put you there as the sun is just coming up. A highlight of my Camino.
22EABA3C-9393-4B97-BD64-508EB00FD54A.jpeg

Last edited:
Very surprised Pilar's place isn't on @wisepilgrim app as it's been an institution for years - perhaps under its full name Albergue Nuestra?
Last time in Rabanal I ate at Posada El Tesin near the entrance to the village. Had a very nice meal with a couple of forum members. Then pushed on to Monte Irago albergue in Foncebadon.
Agree with CarolamS above, Gaucelmo is a special place.
Nuestra Senora del Pilar is in the WP guide. Just checked.

Murias de Rechivaldo, 5k west of Astorga, has several options.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I was doing this last year and wouldnt have missed Foncebadon for the world for an overnight stay. The views are lovely.. and the walk the next day was totally doable and Im not young.. nor fit...Im sure you will find the terrain just fine if you take your time

How about Astorga to Rabanal - 19.81 km, then the next day Rabanal to Molinaseca 24.71 km, or make it shorter and walk to either El Acebo 16.66 km or Riego de Ambrós 20.1km?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

I would be interested to see how you go. I have this stage pencilled in for Oct. Buen Camino

How about Astorga to Rabanal - 19.81 km, then the next day Rabanal to Molinaseca 24.71 km, or make it shorter and walk to either El Acebo 16.66 km or Riego de Ambrós 20.1km?
El Acebo or Riego de Ambros is a good option as you would be walking that challenging rocky hillside the next day on fresh legs.

Just recently walked the Frances again and this time decided to go a bit further past Astorga to Murias do Rechivaldo and stayed at Albergue Las Agedas and then walked to Foncebadon and stayed at Hostal Convento de Foncebadon. Much easier than last time's Astorga to El Acebo.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles

That's my plan for this June, Astorga-Foncebadon. First Camino, so I hope no problems.

I have walked from Astorga to Foncebadon, but I was much younger then. The next time I stayed in El Gonzo, and walked on to Foncebadon the next day. Were I to do the CF again, I would consider Astorga to Rabanal del Camino, and limit myself to Riego de Ambros or El Acebo the next day. The problem is, I liked Foncebadon, and think it would be a real shame not to stay there.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
The problem is, I liked Foncebadon, and think it would be a real shame not to stay there.
I would have stayed there in January if I could but nothing was open in the village - no albergues or hostals. A few cars in the street and other signs of life though. An amazing change from when I first saw the place with only one occupied building and one resident - Maria (of church roof and bells fame).

IMG_20230125_101245.jpg

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I have walked from Astorga to Foncebadon, but I was much younger then. The next time I stayed in El Gonzo, and walked on to Foncebadon the next day. Were I to do the CF again, I would consider Astorga to Rabanal del Camino, and limit myself to Riego de Ambros or El Acebo the next day. The problem is, I liked Foncebadon, and think it would be a real shame not to stay there.
Then there's two of us... :cool:

I like Doug's version better. A Muppet version of "The Way" perhaps? If Estevez and Sheen can do a rehash of 'The Wizard of Oz' then that sounds fair enough....
I would definitely pay to see a Muppet Camino. Come to think of it, the original Muppet movie wasn't that far off from a pilgrimage in the broader sense of the word, if I recall correctly.

Most read last week in this forum

Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
From a friend on the ground in Pamplona https://www.noticiasdenavarra.com/fotos/general/sociedad/2024/04/23/nieve-primaveral-presente-navarra-8152386.html

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back