• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Suggestions for Boots on Camino

Mooncat

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (Fall 2015)
I know this is an old topic that has been addressed before. But, it is worth hitting the dead horse again, with updated information. Please.

Last month, I wore Merrell Moab Ventilators (mid height, not waterproof so they breathe) on my Camino. They were the boots I had trained in and were comfortable. However, when you walk the Camino, you put a lot more hours on your feet than you ever would in training. And, I discovered that my Merrells have soles that are not stiff enough to prevent the gravel and cobbles on the roads and trails from really beating up the soles of my feet. The bottoms of my feet really hurt most days at the end of walking and even 2 weeks after finishing, my toes on both feet are partially numb. So, I am looking for different boots. I love that the Merrells are soft and are like reinforced running shoes and don't want to go back to heavy, hot, leather boots just to get a stiffer sole. I also like that they are mid-height for some ankle support.

I am a big guy with large feet and would like to hear what has worked well for others on the Camino. Boots that are comfortable, have a stiff enough sole, and that last through the entire trek. Thanks.

Guides that will let you complete the journey your way.
I discovered that my Merrells have soles that are not stiff enough to prevent the gravel and cobbles on the roads and trails from really beating up the soles of my feet.
That is the worst feature of trail runners and running shoes. They are light, but they provide little support or protection. I have found the New Balance ankle height walking/hiking boots to be sturdy enough without being ungodly heavy! The come in width sizing, too.

My choice has always been in this order: Vasque breeze stiff sole for hills but not that hard, somewhat flexible on the lateral support and will last long after your Camino with care, second is the Oboz low cut my current one is the Switchback about 6-7 ounces less then Vasque.

Zzotte

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I know this is an old topic that has been addressed before. But, it is worth hitting the dead horse again, with updated information. Please.

Last month, I wore Merrell Moab Ventilators (mid height, not waterproof so they breathe) on my Camino. They were the boots I had trained in and were comfortable. However, when you walk the Camino, you put a lot more hours on your feet than you ever would in training. And, I discovered that my Merrells have soles that are not stiff enough to prevent the gravel and cobbles on the roads and trails from really beating up the soles of my feet. The bottoms of my feet really hurt most days at the end of walking and even 2 weeks after finishing, my toes on both feet are partially numb. So, I am looking for different boots. I love that the Merrells are soft and are like reinforced running shoes and don't want to go back to heavy, hot, leather boots just to get a stiffer sole. I also like that they are mid-height for some ankle support.

I am a big guy with large feet and would like to hear what has worked well for others on the Camino. Boots that are comfortable, have a stiff enough sole, and that last through the entire trek. Thanks.
Hi Mooncat,
I also wore Merrell Moabs and finished two and half weeks ago. No blisters but very sore feet every day, sore heels in particular and they still are stiff and sore now. I was wishing for shoes that absorb more impact. More cushioning not stiffness I thought may have helped me. I bought gel inserts and insoles and even new shoes at Sarria but still sore feet. (No blisters). If I were to go again, I'd take My Hokas with the very deep cushioning.

@Mooncat are you sure it is a problem with the soles not being sufficiently stiff, or could it be that the last is the wrong shape for your feet on a long trek? I find that if the arch support is too high or too low or in the wrong place, or if the "break" point is not in the right place (where toes need to bend), then I get very sore and tired feet.

It may be worth taking yourself to a sports podiatrist for analysis. You may be better served with orthotics. Or, more cushioning or something else.

I may be way off beam here, but it's possible to spend a fortune on shoes "solving" the wrong thing.

Kanga is sending you in the right direction: podiatrist! For 2 Caminos I walked in pain. Blaiming the shoes, thinking they were not sturdy enough, when the problem was my flat feet. I could not understand how people could walk and walk without discomfort. And they all thought I was slow amd stopping because of my extra weight. Go see a podiatrist and get proper soles. Them ask for recommandations about the best type of shoe for your condition. Thinker sole, staffer shoe May not solve your problem.Orthodocs May.

Last edited by a moderator:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I had similar experiences to Lisa and Mooncat with Merrell shoes: no blisters but very sore feet after a couple of days.I gave up on them and switched to North Face Hedgehogs which eradicated the soreness completely. I renewed them after the waterproofing went on St Oswald's Way last year but the replacements didn't fill me with confidence and I bought a pair of Salamon boots for wet winter walking.

After much debate, I wore the Salamons from Leon to Santiago with two pairs of Bridgedale liners and they felt like carpet slippers-very comfortable indeed, although the soles actually feel less stiff than the Vibram sole of the Merrells. I found I didn't need to change socks during the day and that I'd lost that awful soreness that came with the last five miles of the walk.

My wife, however, has worn Merrells during all this time with hardly a care.

Hi Mooncat, I am yet to walk my Camino (starting mid April 2016) but spent many hours researching, reading reviews, etc before buying my boots. It's a big investment (financial and comfort) and you don't want to get it wrong. I ended up buying Oboz Bridger Bdry (women's) and absolutely love them. They market them as 'no break in time' and seriously, I have had no problems. The first wear I felt a little tender around the ankles but that was probably just not being used to the height. No problems since, no blisters and they have good arch support which I need, and they only weigh 460gm. I think the insoles are regarded as being as good as any after market product so no need for additional spend to replace inferior insoles. The soles are pretty rugged, I have done a lot of km's in them already and the soles show almost no wear. Everyones feet are different but they may be worth looking at. As for the numb feeling you describe, I often get that if my running shoes are laced too firmly, with my boots I allow room for movement and/or any swelling across the middle of my feet but lace more firmly around the ankle and don't get any numbness doing that. Hope you find something that works for you.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Mooncat:

Have you considered a gel insert. I had a similar problem my first Camino with my heels going numb. I started using a gel heel cup and no more problem. They also have gel inserts for the whole shoe.

Ultreya,
Joe

Thanks @LisaWalker and the others for the discussion about the sole of the boot. I am still indecisive about which boots to settle on, and had not thought about the sole, having been more focused on the feel of the boot.

@aghamore and @JohnnieWalker -- which Salomon boots do you wear? I'm looking at the Salomon XA Pro Mid GTX.

Seabird. They are X Ultra mid gore tex. They sound like the same sort of thing.

Great advice and suggestions. Thank you! And, I will look into seeing a podiatrist. My feet would feel fine throughout the day until the last couple of hours. Then, it seemed like I could feel every pebble under the balls of my feet at the base of my toes. I did have gel inserts, but after a while they took on their own melted shape. Thank you! Keep up the posts. I want to hear what shoes worked out best for people because I want to keep walking.

I like REI's try it out policy. Solomon, then Merrills and finally settled on Keens. I wear Merrills for regular wear but their hiking boot doesn't work for me. My break-in hike for the Keens was the Skyline trail on Mt Rainier, rain, mud and slate pathways for an 8 hour, 10.2 mile trail rated difficult. My feet stayed dry and no blisters. We are going to walk our pilgrimage in mid-March.

Buen Camino

Mooncat, you haven't said what socks you wear. Part of my problem was definitely reduced by finding the right combination of socks and boots.

Your problem sounds similar to mine in that my feet would feel okay in the mornings and then become hot, sore and painful in the last couple of hours of the day. They would seemingly improve overnight, give me a few hours easy walking and then deteriorate rapidly after lunch. Changing socks at lunchtime helped a little but until I found the right shoes for me, not enough.

The trouble with finding the right footwear for a long walk is replicating the day after day walking without actually doing it. People will swear by one set up rather than another but you can't know yourself if it's right for you until you've really given it a good go and that means three or more long walks on consecutive days before you do the real thing. I've every sympathy with you in looking for an answer because sore feet took a lot of pleasure away from walking for me for a good while.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
For socks, I wore Fox River CoolMax liners under and Darn Tough and Wigwam wool socks. Only had blisters on one foot and in non-critical places. The socks seemed fine. Many times I couldn't change socks because none were dry. My foot pains were insignificant compared to what other people around me were enduring (without complaint). It was just aggravating to have very tender feet at the end of the day. Thanks!

i haven't walked the camino yet--still training, but i have Ahnu Montara boots that i love. i find them much more supportive than Merrills, which is what i've always used prior to this. i did end up adding Sole custom foot beds, because i'm struggling with PF.

good luck!

I wear Merrell Moabs, mids, Vibram soles.
Half size too big, in the wide version. Medium thick wool socks.
Being an autumn walker I chose Merrell's in-house waterproofing (not goretex). I hates wet feet!
I replaced the insoles with the Montrail ones someone here had reccomended. The ones you heat in the oven, quickly pop in, and put your boots on. They form to your feet. Might be just a marketing deal.
Whatever, they are the most comfy footwear I own.
I'd wear them all the time if I was allowed.
Regards
Gerard

Last edited:
Hi Mooncat, I am yet to walk my Camino (starting mid April 2016) but spent many hours researching, reading reviews, etc before buying my boots. It's a big investment (financial and comfort) and you don't want to get it wrong. I ended up buying Oboz Bridger Bdry (women's) and absolutely love them. They market them as 'no break in time' and seriously, I have had no problems. The first wear I felt a little tender around the ankles but that was probably just not being used to the height. No problems since, no blisters and they have good arch support which I need, and they only weigh 460gm. I think the insoles are regarded as being as good as any after market product so no need for additional spend to replace inferior insoles. The soles are pretty rugged, I have done a lot of km's in them already and the soles show almost no wear. Everyones feet are different but they may be worth looking at. As for the numb feeling you describe, I often get that if my running shoes are laced too firmly, with my boots I allow room for movement and/or any swelling across the middle of my feet but lace more firmly around the ankle and don't get any numbness doing that. Hope you find something that works for you.
Hi CathyJ, I too am starting mid April 2016 and still undecided about boots. Want to know if you looked at the Oboz you mention: Did you look at the Low BDry version? I hate that "around the ankles" feeling. I need good arch support (have my own inserts if necessary)...how's the arch support? Also, concerned that waterproof = not really breathable. Have you found them to get hot? debating on non-waterproof w/ addition of waterproof socks as an option (as some have suggested on this forum). TOO MANY CHOICES!

Hi CathyJ, I too am starting mid April 2016 and still undecided about boots. Want to know if you looked at the Oboz you mention: Did you look at the Low BDry version? I hate that "around the ankles" feeling. I need good arch support (have my own inserts if necessary)...how's the arch support? Also, concerned that waterproof = not really breathable. Have you found them to get hot? debating on non-waterproof w/ addition of waterproof socks as an option (as some have suggested on this forum). TOO MANY CHOICES!
Hi Lisa HS, I have got the Bdry Mid. I'm in Australia and they are not readily available here. Arch support is good, that's something I have trouble with in many shoes but I don't get any of that 'collapsing' feel in my arches. I have done lots of walks of 20+ km and I have not found them too hot, we have just gone through winter but our winter temps are very mild. I am happy to have waterproof boots because in April there is still a chance of rain (which then means mud) and I don't want to have wet feet. Wet boots can take a long time to dry out. I guess just try them and see how they feel. Good luck and maybe we'll see each other out there.

PS. As for socks I have been trialling Injingi toe socks (wool) and have found them good, will buy more. The idea of the toes being that there is no friction between the toes, hence no blisters!

One more thing, make sure you get them bigger than you would usually wear. I was advised at fitting to buy a full size bigger which I have done and when you start walking down hills you'll be very thankful you did. No bashed toes! Plus, your feet swell and there is the sock thickness to consider.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Thanks for you comments! I was advised to go 1/2 size bigger...but maybe sizing is different here in the U.S. I've got a couple of pair I'm trying now...we have REI here and you can try them out and return if not good. Wish I could do wool socks, but allergic....still lots of good choices there even sticking with synthetics.

Great advice and suggestions. Thank you! And, I will look into seeing a podiatrist. My feet would feel fine throughout the day until the last couple of hours. Then, it seemed like I could feel every pebble under the balls of my feet at the base of my toes. I did have gel inserts, but after a while they took on their own melted shape. Thank you! Keep up the posts. I want to hear what shoes worked out best for people because I want to keep walking.
Thanks for this discussion, I'm heading to a sports podiatrist (even though before camino my regular podiatrist said I did not need orthotics) wouldn't it be great to just walk and walk without sore feet! At least I had no blisters probably thanks to icebreaker socks.

And just a reminder that some of us love our hiking sandals!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
One more thing, make sure you get them bigger than you would usually wear.
I was advised to go 1/2 size bigger

Once again I respectfully suggest that footwear be bought in the "correct size." Fit them with the sock combination you will be using. Shoes too small are always bad, but shoes too large also can be bad. I have a narrow foot, and my normal size is the size that is the "correct size." For some, one-half or full size larger works, but do not buy on a rote formula. Do not wait for the Camino to validate your choice. Take long walks with your pack on successive days to test your footwear. Try not to discover new things on the Camino except the scenery, the friends, the food, and the quiet. You should learn everything else before you leave (leaky poncho, trekking poles, footwear, blister treatment, etc.).

And just a reminder that some of us love our hiking sandals!

Sandals do work for many, but they offer no arch support, and one's foot slides laterally on cobblestone and slopes, so, again, test the suitability of sandals before relying on them as your only footwear. For myself, I cannot imagine negotiating the downhill into Zubiri in the rain in sandals! ;)

For socks, I wore Fox River CoolMax liners under and Darn Tough and Wigwam wool socks. Only had blisters on one foot and in non-critical places. The socks seemed fine. Many times I couldn't change socks because none were dry. My foot pains were insignificant compared to what other people around me were enduring (without complaint). It was just aggravating to have very tender feet at the end of the day. Thanks!

Mooncat:

My thoughts on the soreness of your feet is that your are walking to far each day. No matter how much you might train, in most cases, your feet are not accustomed to walking a Half-marathon a day. I would suggest walking shorter distances and gradually getting your feet acclimated just like your endurance.

In regards to wet feet, I carry very thin plastic bags in my pack. On rainy days I wear them over my socks. While my shoes get wet, my feet do not.

Ultreya,
Joe

@falcon269 I can't let that comment go! My Ecco offroad sandals have excellent arch support. That's one reason my podiatrist recommended them. Plus a great anti-shock sole, wide adjustable straps on the arch, the heel and the lower foot to keep the foot securely in place. I slid around a lot more in my Scarpa boots (consigned to the tip).

Which is not to say that people should buy sandals. It's just one more possibility to consider.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
In regards to wet feet, I carry very thin plastic bags in my pack. On rainy days I wear them over my socks. While my shoes get wet, my feet do not.

How do you do this? Put your feet into the bags and then into the shoes? Is this instead of gaiters?

How do you do this? Put your feet into the bags and then into the shoes? Is this instead of gaiters?

Seabird:

I put my foot, with socks on, into a very thin bag and then slip my foot into the shoe. Shoes are wet but feet remain dry. I do not wear gaiters.

Joe

Seabird:

I put my foot, with socks on, into a very thin bag and then slip my foot into the shoe. Shoes are wet but feet remain dry. I do not wear gaiters.

Joe
That is just so interesting! Think I'll give it a try.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Which is not to say that people should buy sandals. It's just one more possibility to consider.
Like a unicycle or going barefoot, it may be a choice for the few. ;) In general, sandals are suitable only for the flat stretches, and the arch and ankle support are far inferior to boots. As backup, sandals may work for many, but as a primary footwear, I think they work only for the few. It is clear we disagree! :)

I tried walking in sandals on the Meseta and the biggest problem I had with them was the pebbles. I had to stop and keep removing them. I found this very annoying and quickly ended that experiment. That said, I have seen people wearing them in all kinds of weather.

Ultreya,
Joe

Yes, I tried my sandals one year, and like Joe, the pebbles drove me nuts. I took them off after a kilometer or two and went back to my New Balance trail shoes. But I have seen people wearing them with success.

People wear all sorts of footwear on the Camino.
I even met a guy from Mexico wearing cowboy boots.
He was a "hunk" - maybe 22, 23 - and in his hat, jeans, and cowboy boots, he had all the women dr:rolleyes::rolleyes:ling!

I asked him if his feet bothered him and he said no.
But then, I grew up on a farm, and those boots mold to your feet after a while and just become part of you. :p

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

I wore British Army Pro Goretex boots on my Camino st jean to Santiago. No blisters, no problems whatsoever except it used to get very hot from time to time - my feet I mean - but easy solution take off boots and have a little sleep on the side of the trail. Boots are heavier than most but built to take a bashing. Needed re-soles at the end which shows they wore out rather than my feet! Using same boots again in April with new vibram soles, also taking a pair of trail sandals for chilling out afterwards.

FWIW; I walked the Camino in May - June of this year in Brooks Adrenaline ASR 11 GTX trail runners in great comfort with no problems. I'm 6'3" and 275lb (1.9m; 125kg). I'd say maybe 10 - 15% of the pilgrims I encountered were in similar lightweight shoes. In the end I think it boils down to individual considerations and preferences. What works for others is only a very coarse guide for what will work for you. Buen Camino.

Great feedback! I have ordered some Keens and Oboz to try out (free return shipping). If those don't work, I will check out some of the other options discussed. Also, I have not dismissed the idea of seeing a podiatrist.

Good luck, Mooncat, on your boot quest and your next Camino. What works for us, as others said, is no guarantee it will be right for you. If not a podiatrist, perhaps a visit to a true running shoe store (NOT sports authority, dicks, or the like). Explain the number of miles you'll be covering, they can measure your feet and make orthotic suggestions as they would for a large guy (in the marathon world, Clydesdales) wanting to run marathons or ultras ---you need more support bc a lot more weight hits the ball of your foot than me at 110 pounds and my 8-10lb pack. You can then use that to translate to the fit you are looking for in boots. Also I'm a believer in dry socks, even if it adds weight to carry enough to ensure I have some. But that's just my opinion.

In 2005 when we first walked the Camino I suffered with blisters the whole way. It started off with one blister and I put a dressing on and this I now realise was my undoing as it made the boot a little too tight which in turn caused another blister and so on and so forth! By the time we reached Santiago I was nearly on my knees with pain! Many long distance walks and caminos since then I have learned that if the feet sweat and the socks get wet that a blister will form. If it does then I apply a thin sticky plaster and leave it on for days on end and forget about it. This July it was 30degrees on the way so all I brought was 6 pairs of very thin socks-- liners I think and changed them every 2 or3 hours and never had a blister. As I have wide feet I usually wear Brasher boots, a size bigger than my normal shoes so are fairly loose without me sliding around in them. I wonder if the type of boots are not as important as being able to wiggle ones toes comfortably in them and not let the feet sweat from wearing the same socks all day. This worked for me anyway . Also lets not forget that for each person, one foot is larger than the other so a different thickness sock for each foot might be an answer!!! Looks different anyway!! Also a gel insole is a good idea in a fairly well worn boot or shoe. Good luck anyway and best wishes Annette

I have used Scarpa boots for both Caminos. All I can say is they were comfortable and I only got one blister when the footbed got damaged. The first pair however were badly enough worn that I would not have got a second camino out of them. The current pair will definitely get another camino. Why one pair wore out more than the next is a mystery to me

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Walking the Camino in May/June I found my Merrel Moab mids were perfect. The only change I made was a slighter thicker insole for improved cushioning. Sock choice is also important and for me smartwool socks provide excellent cushioning and I use them with a very thin liner to prevent skin abrasion. The liners I use are in fact ladies' ankle stockings (popsocks).

Hoka boots... Just finished and didn't have sore feet. You can barely feel the rocks. I believe they are exclusive to REI. Try them on. You won't believe the difference. I loved my boots everyday!!!!

I like REI's try it out policy. Solomon, then Merrills and finally settled on Keens. I wear Merrills for regular wear but their hiking boot doesn't work for me. My break-in hike for the Keens was the Skyline trail on Mt Rainier, rain, mud and slate pathways for an 8 hour, 10.2 mile trail rated difficult. My feet stayed dry and no blisters. We are going to walk our pilgrimage in mid-March.

Buen Camino
Which Keen boot did you get?

... worked well for others on the Camino. Boots that are comfortable, have a stiff enough sole, and that last through the entire trek.

After walking both the Camino Frances 2014 and the Camino del Norte 2015, my recommendation would be Lowa Renegades, made in Slovakia. This year, a couple of young German girls told me that the Lowa Renegades were the preferred hiking boot in Germany. The soles of my boots after this year's hike of over 900kms are about half worn. My starting weight without my pack was just under 260 lbs (117.1kgs). No blisters for both years of walking about 900kms each year. I bought my boots from REI in the United States for US$225. In Canada, they sell for Cdn$350 before taxes.

I walked in Keen Verdi II Mids with Superfeet Green insoles (aka my clown shoes at 1 size larger than normal) and WrightSocks. The Verdi's with Superfeet came to 822g/pair in my size, the Superfeet aligned my feet correctly and helped protect my feet bottoms from rough road bed. My goal for footwear was extra wide and roomy toe box and extremely light weight while still giving me ankle support. I tested a pair in my normal size for a year before using the larger ones on my CF. The Verdi's are now discontinued.

Most read last week in this forum

**Update** I reached out to the developer and a fix is in! unistalled the app again, and reinstalled the new updated version, and it works like a charm again! Hi! I am 15 days out from my...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Greetings Fellow Pilgrims! I have more than a month to go until I leave on my first Camino, but couldn't resist getting my pack together already this weekend. My full backpack (Deuter 30 L) is...
I had bought the long Camino banner-style map in Santiago and finally got around to having it framed. The framers managed to tear my map and I'm in need of a replacement. Does anyone know where...
Hi Guys This is just for info really; but if mods want to they can delete! For this May's Camino i have gone back to my Talon 33 (so much less stuff this time; in fact everything is in the top...
Hi, I start my Camino from Oviedo on Sunday the 23rd of June. I was hoping to buy some hiking poles from the Decathlon store, but it doesn’t seem to open on a Sunday, nor do the other hiking...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.